Found Deceased OH - Harley Dilly, 14, walking to Port Clinton High School, 20 Dec 2019 #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I searched the site myself and don't see any past weather data for Port Clinton. Can you tell me how you found it?
National Weather Service has a link to historical weather or just type historical weather in your search bar!

ETA they use Cleveland because Port Clinton is a smaller area.

A fact is a fact...misinformation is misinformation.
The difference between a 12 yr old and a 14 yr old might not seem like a difference to some but it certainly does to others. I think you just want to argue , however the FACT is his age was 14. Wheres the link that says he is 12 if you want to go that route??? Just my opinion. I have children that are 12 and just turned 15...and there is a huge difference. That's 6th grade vs 9th grade in most cases.
I'm sorry. Wasn't trying to argue, just making an observation. About what was originally posted. About the teenage brain,and what a tumultuous time it can be. Weather 12,14,15,16,17..... One teenage brain isn't going to be like the other's. No matter what the age.
MOO.

The temperature had nothing to do with his decision, in my opinion. He left over an hour early at 6:08 am- - it would have been quicker to back in his own house & try again to persuade mom to drive him or At least wait the hour INSIDE his own home and for the sun to come up.
According to Harley's videos, waiting in his own home wasn't always an option.

This is the point when cold weather becomes dangerous

How cold is too cold?
The point at which cold gets dangerous is a higher temperature than you might think, especially if you live somewhere that frequently sees temperatures in the teens or lower. “It’s safe to be outside if the temperature is 32°F or above,” says David A. Greuner, MD, FACS, co-founder and director of NYC Surgical. “If the temperature falls between 13°F and 31°F, you should take breaks from the cold approximately every 20 to 30 minutes. If wind chill temperatures are 13°F and below, you should remain indoors.” Wind chill measures the true danger of weather conditions by factoring in how the low temperature and wind speed combine to remove heat from an exposed human face. To get a better idea, check out this chart created by the National Weather Service. For example, if the ambient temperature is 20°F and the wind speed is a breezy 10 mph, the wind chill is a significantly colder 9°F.

IMO, most schools will close if the temps are too frigid/dangerous for kids to walk in/commute in. We called them ‘snow days’. School was in session on this day.

According to Harley's videos, waiting in his own home wasn't always an option.

In the morning, before school, his mother was still home & in bed.

She didn’t want him in the house alone for some reason. I’d suspect he was not trustworthy in some way.

In my own house while my son was that age, I had no problem with him being home alone as long as he followed the rules. Teens being teens - that didn’t last long. One day I returned early than he had expected and caught 4 of his friends inside.

My point is, there could have been a perfectly reasonable explanation why he was locked out of his house that day. He was given options. He could go along with her, or stay outside. He made the wrong choice, regretted it ...but on video played the victim.
That’s what teenagers do when they don’t get their way.

All IMO

National Weather Service has a link to historical weather or just type historical weather in your search bar!

ETA they use Cleveland because Port Clinton is a smaller area.
Thank you. Cleveland is what was able to find, too. So I researched it a little bit and Cleveland is more than 70 miles from Port Clinton and the data from weatherunderground (the link I posted) is from the field station less than 5 miles from where Harley was found. For that reason, I think the weatherunderground data is more accurate as to the actual conditions when Harley went missing. The wind really picked up in Port Clinton around 10 am, and that could easily be the Cleveland weather moving into Port Clinton a little later in the day. jmo

Eta: all of that said, I don't think this had anything to do with the weather for all of the reasons that have been mentioned.
Google Maps

The closest weather reporting station that I could find to Port Clinton, OH is Toledo Express Airport, (Swanton).

Here’s the temperature data for December 20, 2019 and for the week of 12-15-19 through 12-21-19.

Swanton, OH Weather History | Weather Underground

Attachments

• C3FA29DB-AC45-4D7A-B8B2-A94D2C8AB4CF.jpeg
    C3FA29DB-AC45-4D7A-B8B2-A94D2C8AB4CF.jpeg
    67.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 9D41FBCB-3E7E-4EF6-98D8-E0165E9513F6.jpeg
    9D41FBCB-3E7E-4EF6-98D8-E0165E9513F6.jpeg
    73.2 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
His mother is probably right. He wanted to explore that house, that day. It was the perfect place to go. Had he gained entrance, he could keep an eye on her comings & goings. It was his last chance, last day of school. His mother would be none the wiser until at least after the holiday.

I wondering about the school calling, was it the norm she would ignore the calls from the school?

Re the school call thing, I don't normally pick up calls if I don't recognize the number and I don't have the school's number programmed in, so I might not pick up, and if no message was/could be left, I would never know the school had called. Otoh, I don't currently have a child who has school issues.

HOWEVER lol, this does bring up a big pet peeve of mind. The school calls are to minimally comply with the law -- period. They're not doing some big favor to parents. Proof of this is that if your kid gets in trouble AT SCHOOL or if you owe them money, they will find a way to reach you if it takes all day. Grrr.

His mother able to see the situation for exactly what it was. She has the ability to think rationally and compartmentalize any feelings.
Re-reading that article that shows her entire post, again last night, it’s something many of here could have written about a number of cases written about on this site. Keep that in mind, and read it again.

I gotta admit, I actually agree with what she wrote.

These protestors are foolish to conduct this protest while the LE investigation is still pending. While the coroner has released cause of death (compression asphyxiation) and has reported that exact time of death is impossible to determine under the circumstances, to my knowledge manner of death is still pending completion of LE's investigation.

That location should be left untouched by everyone outside of LE until LE fully completes their investigation. And, regardless of what comes out of that, this location is someone's private residence, so it should not be trespassed upon, nor should those residents nearby, including most especially Harley's family, have to cope with this additional burden at this time.

Protest if they must, but do it on their own or on public property at a respectable distance away, where they don't potentially trample evidence or appear to be conducting mob intimidation.

His mother able to see the situation for exactly what it was. She has the ability to think rationally and compartmentalize any feelings.
Re-reading that again last night, it’s something many of here could have written about a number of cases written about on this site. Keep that in mind, and read it again.

I gotta admit, I actually agree with what she wrote.
Plus, in the context she was speaking, it was pretty clear to me that she was distinguishing between a third party being potentially responsible and having hope of "still alive" for that reason, and definitiely deceased and no other person involved besides Harley. jmo

This post lands at random. Whether you agree or disagree with Harley’s mothers actions, she is a victim. Her son is gone and there is no greater punishment than that. If I had 5 cents for all of the times I wish I could go back and second guess a particular action/decision that I made, I would be a rich woman.

In the morning, before school, his mother was still home & in bed.

She didn’t want him in the house alone for some reason. I’d suspect he was not trustworthy in some way.

In my own house while my son was that age, I had no problem with him being home alone as long as he followed the rules. Teens being teens - that didn’t last long. One day I returned early than he had expected and caught 4 of his friends inside.

My point is, there could have been a perfectly reasonable explanation why he was locked out of his house that day. He was given options. He could go along with her, or stay outside. He made the wrong choice, regretted it ...but on video played the victim.
That’s what teenagers do when they don’t get their way.

All IMO

How do you know he was locked out that morning ?

How do you know he was locked out that morning ?

He wasn’t. This is referring to something Harley had said in one of his YouTube videos from over a year ago.

ETA for clarification, it has not been reported that Harley had been locked out around the time of his disappearance.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member