Found Deceased OH - Harley Dilly, 14, walking to Port Clinton High School, 20 Dec 2019 #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
My cell won't let me pull this up. What is it?
Sandusky Register

Jan 19, 2020

PORT CLINTON — A community that was once united in its search for missing 14-year-old Harley Dilly, now stands divided by lingering questions surrounding his death.

After being missing for almost four weeks, police found Dilly's body in the chimney of a vacant house on Fulton Street less than a block from his home.

Port Clinton police believe he got stuck when he tried to climb through the 9-by-13-inch chimney to get into the house. The coroner ruled he died of compressive asphyxia meaning his lungs didn’t have enough room to expand to fill with air.

Many people accept the police investigation’s conclusion, while others believe too many questions remain unanswered. On Sunday, roughly a dozen people gathered outside the vacant house with signs demanding answers and justice for Dilly.

“We just feel this boy was let down in life, and we need to be his voice now,” Melinda Lannon said. “I don’t believe what we’re being told.

Exactly -- how else were they to extract him from inside the chimney?

I think these protests are getting out of control. First, the petition for parents to be charged with negligence and now this. :eek: If every dysfunctional family investigated it would require a new supplement of forces and jails across the country!

MOO
yes, for sure!

Exactly -- how else were they to extract him from inside the chimney?

I think these protests are getting out of control. First, the petition for parents to be charged with negligence and now this. :eek: If every dysfunctional family investigated it would require a new supplement of forces and jails across the country!

MOO
yes, for sure!

Not defending or blaming the mom. Just MOO of why everyone is so critical of her.
This loss has touched a lot of people and everyone wants to know why this happened. People are saddened and angry.
I think she just doesn't know any better for whatever reason when she says or writes things and a lot is read into it. Some suggested on here that she should probably keep silent and stay off SM and here the dad is also looked at for being quiet. My opinion is that if she spoke more of things she had wished she had done better or say she made mistakes, or speculated on her own failings, the public would be less critical. However when someone is just defensive and tries to lay blame elsewhere, it alienates people and makes it hard to empathize with her. Maybe she does realize things she could have done better in private and is repeating things people close to her have said to comfort her or she's been told to not admit to anything that would indicate negligence.
Or maybe she believes her actions that make people question her parenting were justified with what worked with the family dynamics. HD showed us his side he wanted us to see on SM. We heard his versions. We don't know the reasons behind the many things everyone is criticizing her for.
The obituary was beautifully written and I hope the words were loving memories provided by his mom and hoping there were more loving moments than the discord we tend to focus on.
I thought the same regarding the beautiful, heartfelt obituary. It might have helped even a tiny bit with public perception if the family had issued a similar public statement, just saying that they are heartbroken by the loss their son, that Harley was a wonderful boy who will be greatly missed by his family, and thank you to all who searched for him, please respect their privacy during this difficult time, etc. Instead of trying to engage unfiltered with the masses on social media. But, probably not everyone thinks in that mindset, especially in the midst of dealing with a tragedy.

I wish they had a less immediate family member, family friend, pastor, attorney, anyone really with a bit of distance from the situation, just kind of helping a family navigate or give some guidance if they aren't as equipped to do themselves. It seems like in cases where the victim has a large social media presence, especially videos, it attracts more attention and trolls than usual, simply because there is so much content available for everyone to armchair analyze.

I'm curious for those of you who keep insisting it was a tragic accident and getting upset with those who have questions about it or want to see it investigated ...

Chief Hickman clearly stated in his presser that it appeared to be a tragic accident however it was an ongoing investigation.

That isn't affirmative that it was an accident. He hasn't said that it was 100% an accident nor has he said that there is 100% no way something else didn't happen.

So if it's okay that you believe the accident part ...
Why can't others believe the ongoing investigation might show that it wasn't?

The parents aren't to blame for HD going down the chimney, BUT they are responsible for his well being in which case they didn't do their job. There is still a 4 yr old left in their care that I'm still worried about.

I'm curious for those of you who keep insisting it was a tragic accident and getting upset with those who have questions about it or want to see it investigated ...

Chief Hickman clearly stated in his presser that it appeared to be a tragic accident however it was an ongoing investigation.

That isn't affirmative that it was an accident. He hasn't said that it was 100% an accident nor has he said that there is 100% no way something else didn't happen.

So if it's okay that you believe the accident part ...
Why can't others believe the ongoing investigation might show that it wasn't?

IMO, LE does not talk like that. We know 100% anything.... The words being used are typical (appears, ongoing investigation, we believe).

The parents aren't to blame for HD going down the chimney, BUT they are responsible for his well being in which case they didn't do their job. There is still a 4 yr old left in their care that I'm still worried about.
If that is the case, we should just leave it to the authorities and social services to look into if need be, not analyze it from afar publicly when we don't really know their situation. Also, LE has attended their home in the past according to media, so they know 'the score.' These parents, whatever your opinion is of them, have lost a child, and are grieving.

I wonder for those of you who are satisfied with the conclusion to this case what you hope to find here?
Personally I am not. This doesn't mean I think his family are directlyinvolved it simply means I think that the findings are unsatisfactory. I am at a disadvantage due to my location there are somethings I simply cannot fact check for myself. I had thought asking questions and was in essence how we discover the truth.

This post lands at random. Whether you agree or disagree with Harley’s mothers actions, she is a victim. Her son is gone and there is no greater punishment than that. If I had 5 cents for all of the times I wish I could go back and second guess a particular action/decision that I made, I would be a rich woman.

I wonder for those of you who are satisfied with the conclusion to this case what you hope to find here?
Personally I am not. This doesn't mean I think his family are directly involved it simply means I think that the findings are unsatisfactory. I am at a disadvantage due to my location there are somethings I simply cannot fact check for myself. I had thought asking questions and was in essence how we discover the truth.

Agreed.

IMO, LE does not talk like that. We know 100% anything.... The words being used are typical (appears, ongoing investigation, we believe).

No. They're unlikely to say anything is 100%

However they are still being pretty non-committal. Why would it still be an open investigation if they've ruled it accidental ? Case would be closed, no? "We've completed our investigation."

But that's not what we're hearing.
It leaves it open to speculation. And IMO it doesn't seem right for people here to be shouting down those that believe that this isn't over.

He wasnt last seen at 7am,his mother didnt "see" him that morning at all,and the last believed sighting of him was at 6.08 am on cctv.

If she didn't see him before school where was she already at work? I'm confused I scoured media reports and I'm missing info on where/why no one saw him that morning.

I’m just waiting for the homeowner to be blamed for having a fireplace in the house, having a chimney, having a vacant house, pick one.

I believe that LE making the statement it appeared to be an accident and is still under investigation is CYA until all tests are done and LE is completely satisfied based on science and forensics that it’s exactly what happened. To make a statement before all tests are in would be irresponsible IMO

FWIW, I doubt the part about "seeking treasures", as you would think that in a town with so many "summer people" even a 12-year-old, and especially one who lived directly across from a non-full-time residence, would balk at taking "treasures" because they would understand that this would be "stealing", the home not actually being, well, abandoned.

Of course, this would be one of those instances in which I suspect his mother would know him better than I, so there's that. Maybe it did sound like a good idea to Harley. I can't remember a time when I wasn't thinking "Why did the Grinch go down the chimney head first? Didn't he know he could fall and break his neck?"; but that doesn't mean that Harley was aware of these dangers, at the age of 12.
I believe "seeking treasures" is a game reference (Fortnite) and not literally looking to steal from home on Harley's street. (Reference according to his mom). MOO

Personally I am not. This doesn't mean I think his family are directlyinvolved it simply means I think that the findings are unsatisfactory. I am at a disadvantage due to my location there are somethings I simply cannot fact check for myself. I had thought asking questions and was in essence how we discover the truth.

I'm satisfied with the conclusion because I can't think of one single thing that would change the result or who it's attributed to. I believe Harley's death was an accident and he died because he got stuck down a chimney he climbed into on his own, and I can't think of a single scenario where that's NOT what happened. That's part of the reason I asked for your theory earlier. Imo, there might be some interesting non-material details that could or may be found, but nothing that would change those material conclusion that I can imagine.

In the morning, before school, his mother was still home & in bed.

She didn’t want him in the house alone for some reason. I’d suspect he was not trustworthy in some way.

In my own house while my son was that age, I had no problem with him being home alone as long as he followed the rules. Teens being teens - that didn’t last long. One day I returned early than he had expected and caught 4 of his friends inside.

My point is, there could have been a perfectly reasonable explanation why he was locked out of his house that day. He was given options. He could go along with her, or stay outside. He made the wrong choice, regretted it ...but on video played the victim.
That’s what teenagers do when they don’t get their way.

All IMO

Is locking a minor outside in the cold even legal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clintbentwood