Found Deceased OH - Harley Dilly, 14, walking to Port Clinton High School, 20 Dec 2019 #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
If she didn't see him before school where was she already at work? I'm confused I scoured media reports and I'm missing info on where/why no one saw him that morning.
She said she was in bed when he came into her room and it was dark, so she talked to him but didn’t clearly see him. She clarified this in a conversation on Facebook after her interview where she made the distinction of talked to him, NOT seen him.

What the heck was that about a bloody Sledgehammer,and crime scene tape, and the garage,and a couch???????? Ummm can we get an investigative journalist on here to verify?

Tge only reference to sledgehammer I have found is here:

Harley Dilly Found Dead: Teen Was Trapped in Chimney | Heavy.com

They also used a drone.

Just an assumption on my part (I may be studying criminal justice, but am not a member of a law enforcement team quite yet): IF a "bloody" sledgehammer was found at the scene, I am fairly certain it would have been carried out in a sealed evidence bag. How this group of people can see through an evidence bag is beyond my capabilities.

Those officers had far more patience than I would if faced with the same situation. Isn't a permit required for organized protests?

Just an assumption on my part (I may be studying criminal justice, but am not a member of a law enforcement team quite yet): IF a "bloody" sledgehammer was found at the scene, I am fairly certain it would have been carried out in a sealed evidence bag. How this group of people can see through an evidence bag is beyond my capabilities.

Those officers had far more patience than I would if faced with the same situation. Isn't a permit required for organized protests?
I remember it being reported that police had taken a sledgehammer IN to the residence. So if it turned out to be blood, then I guess the cops must have made it become that way. o_O

at first mom saw him/then she did not see him but talked to him/then she sorta saw him in the dark (saw him in the dark was from her sm on a missing harley dilly FB page, the other statements were from msm)

That makes total sense to me. You wouldn't necessarily distinguish between talking to someone in your presence from seeing them unless maybe you were called on to describe what they were wearing - which she probably was in further detail. For example, If I talked to a family member who was in the living room at 4:55, while I was in the kitchen, then they left the house at 5 before coming in the kitchen, I still might say "the last time I saw him was right before he left the house at 5". In that scenario, talking to him from the other room would be essentially the same as seeing him. jmo

I remember it being reported that police had taken a sledgehammer IN to the residence. So if it turned out to be blood, then I guess the cops must have made it become that way. o_O
There is no documented proof of blood. Not that I 've seen/read. These are rumors. This thread was already temporarily shut down today, I'd rather not see it happen again.

The only reference so far to a sledgehammer is:

Police planning to update public on missing 14-year-old

There is no documented proof of blood. Not that I 've seen/read. These are rumors. This thread was already temporarily shut down today, I'd rather not see it happen again.

The only reference so far to a sledgehammer is:

Police planning to update public on missing 14-year-old
Yes obviously. I was just noting that the sledgehammer was brought there BY the police, rather than taken OUT of the residence like the 'protesters' are claiming.

I'm curious for those of you who keep insisting it was a tragic accident and getting upset with those who have questions about it or want to see it investigated ...

Chief Hickman clearly stated in his presser that it appeared to be a tragic accident however it was an ongoing investigation.

That isn't affirmative that it was an accident. He hasn't said that it was 100% an accident nor has he said that there is 100% no way something else didn't happen.

So if it's okay that you believe the accident part ...
Why can't others believe the ongoing investigation might show that it wasn't?

Of course it's OK to hold out until the death certificate is final and formal closure of the death investigation but based on experience -- medical examiner/coroner providing no reason not to believe this was anything other than an accident.

Experience tells us several things pointing away from the manner of death anything other than accidental: LE never upgraded this from missing person to suspicious death when he HD"s body was located. The coroner responsible for determining both cause and manner of death provided HD's COD as “compressive asphyxia,” and at this time -- the "manner of death appears to be accidental." IMO, if the coroner believed HD'd death a homicide -- he would have withheld any opinion and would have said manner of death not yet determined or pending.

Jan 15, 2020

Investigators believe Harley climbed an antenna tower to the roof of the house and entered the chimney where he somehow became trapped. The Ottawa County Coroner’s Office determined Harley died from “compressive asphyxia,” adding the teen’s “manner of death appears to be accidental at this time.” Hickman declined to say how long Harley may have been inside the chimney, saying the investigation remains ongoing.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/01/15/dilly-chimney-death/

Last edited:
While it hasn’t been reported that he’d been locked out of the house around the time of his disappearance, it is an interesting law question. Perhaps one of our legal experts could weigh in if it’s not considered off topic.

In general, imo, it would totally depend on the circumstances. To me, it seems unlikely to be neglect if it wasn't overnight, the child wasn't in danger and there was no one in the locked house. Plus, the older the child gets, the less likely it's neglect. For example, I don't think there's any minimum age to be left alone in Ohio, but the absolute highest age where you can't be left home alone is 13. In most states, there either is no law or it's younger than that. So after 14, imo, it would take quite a lot to be found guilty of neglect. #ianava

Last edited:
While it hasn’t been reported that he’d been locked out of the house around the time of his disappearance, it is an interesting law question. Perhaps one of our legal experts could weigh in if it’s not considered off topic.

I'm really not understanding where the allegation is coming from that Harley was somehow locked out of his house out of malice. Reportedly - HD requested to stay out of school on Friday and his mother refused and sent him to school. She was also said to still be in bed when he left before 7 AM, and reasonable to expect that one would lock the door behind them when family is still asleep. This would have been no different in our household.

MOO

ETA: I believe this allegation is coming from HD YT video dated Oct 28, 2018 -- not even close to when he went missing. Vido is titled "Im Scared."

Last edited:
I'm really not understanding where the allegation is coming from that Harley was somehow locked out of his house out of malice. Reportedly - HD requested to stay out of school on Friday and his mother refused and sent him to school. She was also said to still be in bed when he left before 7 AM, and reasonable to expect that one would lock the door behind them when family is still asleep. This would have been no different in our household.

MOO
I’m certainly not accusing anyone of anything, I was just curious about the question generally.

MOO

As I understand it, the argument is that he was locked out of his house on at least one prior occasion and that incident amounts to child neglect which should be looked at, either because there's still a child in the house to be neglected and/or because neglect, in general, somehow led to Harley's death. I'm not aware of any fact or argument that he was locked out of the house on the morning in question. jmo

2919.22 Endangering children ORC
Lawriter - ORC - 2919.22 Endangering children.
A. No person shall shall create a substantial risk to the health or safety of the child, by violating a duty of care, protection, or support.

It’s only been mentioned by Harley in one of his YouTube videos from over a year ago. Nothing has been reported in MSM that I’ve seen.

ETA video/link

UltimateGamingJr
Is this the source of Harley being locked outside? This was his video from Oct 2018!
Im Scared...
•Streamed live on Oct 25, 2018
361SHARESAVE

Kids can tell a good story when they are the only ones telling it. Applies to anyone...

One can sense there's more to the story when 4 minutes in he also says "....wish I wasn't outside..wish I wouldn't..didn't make all these decisions...."

(He begins video describing how his mom picked him up and wanted him to go with her to pick up a friend but he argued with her for 5 minutes about not going so she left him home. It was 3:30 pm and I wouldn't be surprised if his choice was to go with her or stay outside until she got home). MOO

I'm satisfied with the conclusion because I can't think of one single thing that would change the result or who it's attributed to. I believe Harley's death was an accident and he died because he got stuck down a chimney he climbed into on his own, and I can't think of a single scenario where that's NOT what happened. That's part of the reason I asked for your theory earlier. Imo, there might be some interesting non-material details that could or may be found, but nothing that would change those material conclusion that I can imagine.

You nailed it!

The RUMORS were FLYING the night they started searching that house - most all of them have already proven to be lies

We have to remember too that the toxicology report is not back yet.If the toxicology report comes back positive, the investigation will continue for some time. I believe that is one of the things the Chief has on his mind when he says it's an ongoing investigation.
Would I be surprised if it came back positive ? No ,I really pray it doesn't, but, would not be surprised.
Take it with a grain of salt, because I can't put the youtube video up of Harley using the term shrooms, because it was taken down. Needless to say Rest in Peace Harley, you have touched many including me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mintexas