Found Deceased OH - Harley Dilly, 14, walking to Port Clinton High School, 20 Dec 2019 #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have to remember too that the toxicology report is not back yet.If the toxicology report comes back positive, the investigation will continue for some time. I believe that is one of the things the Chief has on his mind when he says it's an ongoing investigation.
Would I be surprised if it came back positive ? No ,I really pray it doesn't, but, would not be surprised.
Take it with a grain of salt, because I can't put the youtube video up of Harley using the term shrooms, because it was taken down. Needless to say Rest in Peace Harley, you have touched many including me.
I thought I heard him sat 'Shrooms' too. But I listened a few more times to that part, and he actually said 'streams'.....JMO

So the police chief said, "there is only so much we can say RIGHT NOW." Hmmm, i wonder what he means by that. That he is waiting for the autopsy, or to learn more info himself, before he can share it? Aka: he doesn't have any info now to share. Or, that he does have other info now, but someone, or something is preventing him from sharing it now?

I had to listen a few times too.

UltimateGamingJr
I feel like crawling into a hole!! I'm so sorry!!!

But, I still think we can't rule out the toxicology report, and of course I would never blame Harley for trying drugs if he had, he had to get them from someone else. I just hope this whole investigation can come to a close and his family can greive how they wish to and can begin to heal somehow.

I'm hoping this posts correctly, THIS IS NOT THE FLU THAT IS IN THE HOME THAT HARLEY WAS FOUND. It is a flu in my home.The flue was once used to vent a gas water heater. It is 6" across as the person reporting said some of the flus are 6" and some 8".
First pic is flu hole covered with cover, 2nd pic is cover removed and the 2 clamps that get inserted in hole,3rd pic is me measuring flu,6" in diameter, and last pic is of flu without cover.It goes directly into our chimney which is 8X13. BUT we have a fireplace that gets vented to that chimney also. I have no idea how it would get closed off, maybe someone else knows.

I think you're saying you have no idea how the fireplace gets closed off? If that's what you're saying, I know the answer. I grew up in a home that was built (partially) before the revolutionary war and had a fireplace in all of the main rooms. Once boilers/furnaces became available, it was the trend to install a furnace in the basement and cover up the fireplaces. In my house, they just lathed and plastered over the fireplace opening. That was common. We still had mantles around a painted drywall square where the fireplace itself and the hearth used to be. The chimney was totally intact, just not used. It wasn't until many decades after fireplaces were no longer a necessity that they came into vogue.

Over the the Heidi Broussard thread I remember discussing decomp and its different stages.

So thinking about that a little while ago, I've been wondering about Harley, decomp and gravity.

Would gravity alter the position of the body? Maybe not alter but, maybe make it askew?

Daniel Cadigan the coroner said : "There is no accurate forensic way of determining an exact time of death in such circumstances."

So the police chief said, "there is only so much we can say RIGHT NOW." Hmmm, i wonder what he means by that. That he is waiting for the autopsy, or to learn more info himself, before he can share it? Aka: he doesn't have any info now to share. Or, that he does have other info now, but someone, or something is preventing him from sharing it now?
It’s common for LE to hold back certain information in ongoing investigations for various reasons.

I think you're saying you have no idea how the fireplace gets closed off? If that's what you're saying, I know the answer. I grew up in a home that was built (partially) before the revolutionary war and had a fireplace in all of the main rooms. Once boilers/furnaces became available, it was the trend to install a furnace in the basement and cover up the fireplaces. In my house, they just lathed and plastered over the fireplace opening. That was common. We still had mantles around a painted drywall square where the fireplace itself and the hearth used to be. The chimney was totally intact, just not used. It wasn't until many decades after fireplaces were no longer a necessity that they came into vogue.
Yes, because I thought I read that there were no fireplaces. We have our fireplace closed at the chimney with just the damper, and I tried like heck to pull the damper down with my hands and could not. We don't use the fireplace because our home was built in 54 and I don't trust the chimney. We do use one of our other fireplaces,but the damper is closed and we use a non vented gas log set we just put in. Our chimney does have a cover on it with screen and a hard top to keep the birds and squirrels out.

I feel like crawling into a hole!! I'm so sorry!!!

But, I still think we can't rule out the toxicology report, and of course I would never blame Harley for trying drugs if he had, he had to get them from someone else. I just hope this whole investigation can come to a close and his family can greive how they wish to and can begin to heal somehow.

Don’t feel that way! I wasn’t trying to call you out at all here. I just included the video so others could listen for themselves.

Yes, because I thought I read that there were no fireplaces. We have our fireplace closed at the chimney with just the damper, and I tried like heck to pull the damper down with my hands and could not. We don't use the fireplace because our home was built in 54 and I don't trust the chimney. We do use one of our other fireplaces,but the damper is closed and we use a non vented gas log set we just put in. Our chimney does have a cover on it with screen and a hard top to keep the birds and squirrels out.

If you had asked me whether we had fireplaces in our house, I would have said no. Even though we had multiple fireplaces covered up with lathe and plaster. The fireplace part was not visible and couldn't be used, obviously. And if you went down the chimney, you wouldn't have been able to get out, just as Harley couldn't. In fact, that's a big part of the reason I didn't believe in Santa Claus after age 5 or so.:p

It’s been reported that the owners have said there has never been a fireplace in the house. There were stoves that piped exhaust to the chimney. I’ll try to find the link.

ETA link ‘Our family is heartbroken over this’: Owner of home where Harley Dilly’s body was found speaks out

It’s been reported that the owners have said there has never been a fireplace in the house. There were stoves that piped exhaust to the chimney. I’ll try to find the link.

I read that, too. But I find that pretty hard to believe if the house was built in the 1800's. I wonder if the house has been in family forever.

Eta: especially since it has a brick chimney at the center of the house.

According to these articles, Harley climbed onto the roof and entered the home through the chimney then died in the chimney when he became compressed and couldn't get enough air.

Then he left his glasses and coat on the 2nd floor of the home.
How is this possible?

It's not possible. He somehow got inside safely then decided to go up the chimney for some reason. Probably removed his coat so it would not be such a tight squeeze. Sounds like he was exploring options of how to get in and out of the house...(opinion)

Something is missing from the story in my opinion.

"..Hickman said they found glasses and a coat matching those worn by Dilly on the second floor of the home. That resulted in crews finding Dilly's body lodged in the chimney.."

‘Horrible accident’: Body of missing Ohio teen found in chimney of vacant home

Dilly died in what police believe was an accident after climbing a TV antenna tower alongside the house, walking across the roof and entering the 9-inch-by-13-inch chimney, in which he became stuck and died due to compressive asphyxia, according to preliminary autopsy results.

Volunteers plan scholarship fund in honor of Harley Dilly

"He somehow got inside safely then decided to go up the chimney for some reason. Probably removed his coat so it would not be such a tight squeeze. Sounds like he was exploring options of how to get in and out of the house"

That ^^^ doesn't seem likely to me. If he was inside safely, I can't imagine him climbing up to the roof and then jumping into the chimney. Why do that? If he was already safely inside the house he wouldn't need an 'option' like a chimney. He could just leave a window unlocked.

Or he could do whatever he did in the 1st place to get inside. [which I don't think ever happened.]

Besides, if he had been inside safely, he would have seen there was no fireplace in the house.
JMO IMO

He says "He also says the home does not have a fireplace." I guess we can read it as it doesn't have a fireplace now but most likely did in earlier years. That's the only way I can see it right now. :(

I read that, too. But I find that pretty hard to believe if the house was built in the 1800's. I wonder if the house has been in family forever.

Eta: especially since it has a brick chimney at the center of the house.
Given that the house has been in the same family since it was built, I trust the homeowner’s knowledge.

Remember that even the pioneers would haul STOVES with them - much more efficient and easier to use than fireplaces. A lot of early houses had coal-burning stoves and "furnaces". The pot-bellied stoves and the coal furnaces were popular. The very elderly I have spoken with can remember walking along RR tracks gathering fallen chunks of coal to heat homes in the Depression. NOTE don't burn coal at home without knowing about coal and its need to be burned on a special grate.

Mooooooo

"He somehow got inside safely then decided to go up the chimney for some reason. Probably removed his coat so it would not be such a tight squeeze. Sounds like he was exploring options of how to get in and out of the house"

That ^^^ doesn't seem likely to me. If he was inside safely, I can't imagine him climbing up to the roof and then jumping into the chimney. Why do that? If he was already safely inside the house he wouldn't need an 'option' like a chimney. He could just leave a window unlocked.

Or he could do whatever he did in the 1st place to get inside. [which I don't think ever happened.]

Besides, if he had been inside safely, he would have seen there was no fireplace in the house.
JMO IMO
Ha! Exactly. Investigators have witnessed the scene first hand, and I’m sure it’s readily apparent how this all went down.

As you say though, it would make absolutely no sense for him to attempt to go up the chimney, ignoring the fact that it’s almost certainly impossible.

Remember that even the pioneers would haul STOVES with them - much more efficient and easier to use than fireplaces. A lot of early houses had coal-burning stoves and "furnaces". The pot-bellied stoves and the coal furnaces were popular. The very elderly I have spoken with can remember walking along RR tracks gathering fallen chunks of coal to heat homes in the Depression. NOTE don't burn coal at home without knowing about coal and its need to be burned on a special grate.

Mooooooo
Exactly. That’s why he notes that there were only stovepipe holes on each floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77