MO MO - Betty Alexander, 69, Sullivan, 11 April 2019

Bumping. Hope there's some new development in finding Betty Alexander.

Getting the FBI involved seems like a good idea. The possible theft of her medication, a controlled substance, seems like a good reason for them to intervene. How is it that an elderly person has their fentanyl patches taken from their home, but no one investigates whether drug trafficking was responsible for her disappearance?

This in a region that has been struggling with drug crimes and addiction for several years. One would assume there are already federal agents from FBI or DEA, etc. who keep track of the drug trade around Sullivan & Franklin County.

How about some of the retired detectives in the area (Franklin County)? They recently helped resolve a cold case murder down the road in St. Clair. Gary Toelke, right?

Cold Case Unit Looks Into Past — Squad Has Over 115 Years’ Experience
It seems like, or maybe I’m just wishing it to be, that LE is in the observing stage, waiting for someone to slip up. I wonder if the family has done DNA and attached it to their tree. A few genealogy enthusiasts in the family attaching their DNA to a public family tree online could be an indirect way to help.

It seems like, or maybe I’m just wishing it to be, that LE is in the observing stage, waiting for someone to slip up. I wonder if the family has done DNA and attached it to their tree. A few genealogy enthusiasts in the family attaching their DNA to a public family tree online could be an indirect way to help.

I'm not an expert, but I'm not sure LE can solve cases by sitting around, waiting for the perps to call up and confess. :rolleyes: That said, they sometimes do take that approach.

WRT DNA - is there some DNA available that LE has collected? Can you explain a little more how checking DNA to family tree could help solve this disappearance? TIA.

Bumping. Hope there's some new development in finding Betty Alexander.

Getting the FBI involved seems like a good idea. The possible theft of her medication, a controlled substance, seems like a good reason for them to intervene. How is it that an elderly person has their fentanyl patches taken from their home, but no one investigates whether drug trafficking was responsible for her disappearance?

This in a region that has been struggling with drug crimes and addiction for several years. One would assume there are already federal agents from FBI or DEA, etc. who keep track of the drug trade around Sullivan & Franklin County.

How about some of the retired detectives in the area (Franklin County)? They recently helped resolve a cold case murder down the road in St. Clair. Gary Toelke, right?

Cold Case Unit Looks Into Past — Squad Has Over 115 Years’ Experience
I'm not an expert, but I'm not sure LE can solve cases by sitting around, waiting for the perps to call up and confess. :rolleyes: That said, they sometimes do take that approach.

WRT DNA - is there some DNA available that LE has collected? Can you explain a little more how checking DNA to family tree could help solve this disappearance? TIA.
Observation mode, to me anyway, does not mean they are slacking off, or doing nothing. It means they doing surveillance and following someone.

Genetic genealogy has been connecting criminals to family trees. It is helpful in crime solving when a DNA connected public family tree matches someone in GEDmatch or ftDNA. It helps narrow down perps, figure out where they may be hanging out, or where they ran off to if they suddenly left town.

Observation mode, to me anyway, does not mean they are slacking off, or doing nothing. It means they doing surveillance and following someone.

Genetic genealogy has been connecting criminals to family trees. It is helpful in crime solving when a DNA connected public family tree matches someone in GEDmatch or ftDNA. It helps narrow down perps, figure out where they may be hanging out, or where they ran off to if they suddenly left town.

BBM

Thanks very much for that clarification. It's good to know they're still investigating your mom's disappearance. I hope they have the perp(s) in view. There are a lot of vulnerable seniors in town who deserve protection.

BBM

Thanks very much for that clarification. It's good to know they're still investigating your mom's disappearance. I hope they have the perp(s) in view. There are a lot of vulnerable seniors in town who deserve protection.
It's not my Mom that is missing but I'm guessing that was a typo.

Anyway, to give a real life example: A distant cousin was recently popped for a murder/rape he committed 30+ years ago. They (LE & genealogists) found a distant relative somewhere, probably in GEDmatch or ftDNA. I've uploaded to both but right before I did, they had figured out who he was based on another distant relative's DNA.

It's not my Mom that is missing but I'm guessing that was a typo.

Anyway, to give a real life example: A distant cousin was recently popped for a murder/rape he committed 30+ years ago. They (LE & genealogists) found a distant relative somewhere, probably in GEDmatch or ftDNA. I've uploaded to both but right before I did, they had figured out who he was based on another distant relative's DNA.

Oh, thanks for the clarification! Sorry I got mixed up mistook you for one of Betty's relatives :confused:.

Interesting real life example! I'm sure a lot of people who research their family history dread such a thing happening. There are some real downsides to the DNA testing. Slightly OT, but can't imagine how difficult it would be to do one of those tests to find you didn't match a parent or somesuch.

ETA: In reading the "Bring Betty Home" FB page by her family, her daughter notes that local Sullivan PD has asked the FBI multiple times for assistance, but they keep turning them down. If so, why? They claim it's because they don't know that Betty didn't leave home voluntarily. What? An elderly lady leaving home on foot, without her glasses or purse, after someone had taken her prescription drugs from her home?

If so, that doesn't sound right.

Bring Betty Home

Last edited:
This daughter has worked tirelessly to find her mother. And people who can do something, give her the runaround.

Bring Betty Home Facebook post 1/9/2020:

I received an email back from Mike Parson's office stating it was more of a federal matter and I would need to reach out to Roy Blunt or Josh Hawley. Roy Blunt's office called and stated they do not have jurisdiction over law enforcement and I need to contact my state legislators. So far it seems like they're passing the buck. If we can get enough people calling or emailing about mom's case, maybe someone will finally give in and help get the necessary departments we need involved. If you have a minute or two, please pick one or two (or even all of them) to contact. Thank you so much again for your help to Bring Betty Home!

This daughter has worked tirelessly to find her mother. And people who can do something, give her the runaround.

Bring Betty Home Facebook post 1/9/2020:

I received an email back from Mike Parson's office stating it was more of a federal matter and I would need to reach out to Roy Blunt or Josh Hawley. Roy Blunt's office called and stated they do not have jurisdiction over law enforcement and I need to contact my state legislators. So far it seems like they're passing the buck. If we can get enough people calling or emailing about mom's case, maybe someone will finally give in and help get the necessary departments we need involved. If you have a minute or two, please pick one or two (or even all of them) to contact. Thank you so much again for your help to Bring Betty Home!

That's a shame the elected officials are trying to pass the buck. I have a few elderly family members still living in the Sullivan/Bourbon area. They all deserve to be protected and if there's a dangerous person out there, LE needs help finding them. Maybe I'll give Blunt, Hawley, et al. a call, too.

Another thing Betty's family may want to consider is to bring the news media along (or do your own You Tube video) to visit the local district offices of the elected officials to discuss any additional help the Sullivan PD or FCSO might need.

ETA: State Sen. Dave Schatz is a native of Sullivan. His family is from the area, several generations.

Last edited:
Sullivan woman disappeared 1 year ago
ETA:
Author: Ashley Cole
Published:6:46 AM CDT April 10, 2020
Updated:10:17 AM CDT April 10, 2020
“SULLIVAN, Mo. — One year ago, a beloved Sullivan woman disappeared from her apartment.

Betty Alexander was last seen on April 10, 2019 at Center Street Apartments in Sullivan. She left behind all of her belongings and medications. So far, there have been no clues in her disappearance.

The Facebook page Bring Betty Home is hosting a virtual ‘Light the Night to bring Betty Home’ on April 10. Organizers said to share a picture of your candle with your location to the Bring Betty Home Facebook page.

[SBM]”

ETA 1: To me, this is a very frustrating case because there is a good chance, IMO, that someone (or even more than one person) knows exactly what happened to Betty and where she is. I am very sad for her daughter, TT.

Last edited:
this case frustrates me to no end :(

not saying that this is a simple case of dementia wandering (so many weird little details) but i think its always pertinent to know the facts:
-dementia missing incidents mostly happened when the person was performing an everyday, typical action (Bowen et al., 2011)
-likely to be discovered in stranger's yards, in the street, or in businesses (including hospitals)
-half of wanderers found within 5 miles of where they were living, only 7% found 10+ miles away
-when found, usually found by good samaritans/law enforcement; when a missing report has been filed, much more likely to be found by law enforcement
-80% of those missing were found within 12 hours
-seems like those who leave on foot (vs taking a car or taking a bus) have a higher probability of being gone for longer
-4 people (among the sample of 463) were found dead; one was found under brush half a mile from his home, another was found dead in the cornfield behind his home, one dead near an airport (and not found for a while), and the last man had been struck by a train (Rowe & Glover, 2001).
>ive seen a wide variety of mortality rates (up to 40%) due to wandering...depends where the researchers are getting their data i.e. is it from a safe return program (so all missing cases)? news articles (missing for long enough to get published)?
-87% of those found dead were found in nature/secluded places, usually less than a mile away. of this sample, majority passed due to exposure, and 1/4 due to drowning. often the person tried to hunker down in a secluded spot and thus was hard to find.
-more than 10% of the deceased in that sample took more than a month to find (Rowe & Bennett, 2003)
-more than half of those who wander and are reported missing came from a 'domestic' home setting (as was Betty) (White & Montgomery, 2014)

i know that GPS trackers (in watches or wristbands) are on the market for those with cognitive impairment- wish they were more commonly used!! especially for those who are still living at home with or without a caregiver... I know it's hard to admit when a parent needs a device like that but I feel like a lot of recent wandering cases have been with people whose level of confusion was underestimated.

RSBM

Me, too.

Your statistics, coupled with some, well, odd actions by those at least tangentially involved in the situation?

Doesn't mesh with the 'dementia patient wandered off' pattern. Just doesn't.

For Betty & her daughter:

View attachment 242719

JMHO YMMV LRR
agreed - a lot of confounding details in this case and confusing actions by others, i believe that there are others involved and details that haven't yet come to light... i would love to be wrong, though.

New podcast episode about Betty's case with new details from family Episode 5 Betty Alexander

Just checking the local news and found this interesting:

Suspect Wanted In Death Investigation May Be In Bourbon Area

Bourbon is a small town not far from Sullivan.

Joseph Proffer, 22, of Bourbon, MO, was arrested and charged with 2nd degree murder in the death of a 77 yo woman in Birch Tree, MO. Not saying this guy is involved in Betty's disappearance but it makes you wonder why young men are killing elderly women in rural Missouri.

Betty's daughter Tonya spoke as if she was pretty sure who might be responsible for her mother's disappearance and states LE has interviewed the person(s) she suspects.

IIRC, there are some people connected to this case who live in Bourbon. It was always such a nice, small historic town. But there are some sketchy people there these days. Like a lot of rural areas, people get into drugs, etc.

Last edited:
Just checking the local news and found this interesting:

Suspect Wanted In Death Investigation May Be In Bourbon Area

Bourbon is a small town not far from Sullivan.

Joseph Proffer, 22, of Bourbon, MO, was arrested and charged with 2nd degree murder in the death of a 77 yo woman in Birch Tree, MO. Not saying this guy is involved in Betty's disappearance but it makes you wonder why young men are killing elderly women in rural Missouri.

Betty's daughter Tonya spoke as if she was pretty sure who might be responsible for her mother's disappearance and states LE has interviewed the person(s) she suspects.

IIRC, there are some people connected to this case who live in Bourbon. It was always such a nice, small historic town. But there are some sketchy people there these days. Like a lot of rural areas, people get into drugs, etc.
I wondered if something was up because the daughter sounded really confident in the podcast. This is a different elderly woman. Are these two ganging up on elderly people for drugs?? Do either of these two look like the “scraggly man” behind Betty in line at the utility company?

Snip:
Update: Proffer has reportedly turned himself in. Charges have been filed against him for second-degree murder and first-degree burglary with no bond.

Snip:
According to KY3(link is external), Joseph Proffer, 22, is wanted in the death of Barbara Lynn, 77, whose body was found in a burned down home in Birch Tree on April 2.

The woman’s death was deemed suspicious and Thursday, Shannon County prosecutors charged Stanley Kenaga, Jr., 30, with second-degree murder and first-degree burglary.

Authorities told KY3 the fire was likely linked to other recent fires in the same area.

I wondered if something was up because the daughter sounded really confident in the podcast. This is a different elderly woman. Are these two ganging up on elderly people for drugs?? Do either of these two look like the “scraggly man” behind Betty in line at the utility company?

Snip:
Update: Proffer has reportedly turned himself in. Charges have been filed against him for second-degree murder and first-degree burglary with no bond.

Snip:
According to KY3(link is external), Joseph Proffer, 22, is wanted in the death of Barbara Lynn, 77, whose body was found in a burned down home in Birch Tree on April 2.

The woman’s death was deemed suspicious and Thursday, Shannon County prosecutors charged Stanley Kenaga, Jr., 30, with second-degree murder and first-degree burglary.

Authorities told KY3 the fire was likely linked to other recent fires in the same area.

Really hard to say at this point. This guy could be linked or Betty could have been targeted by similar creeps. It is interesting, though, that he lived in Bourbon, but was linked to the murder of an elderly woman living a 2 hr drive away. Addicts have their own networks, though. From arrest reports and news, etc. they seem to roam around rural MO.

Someone would probably have to know which elderly women were getting prescriptions for narcotic or pain killer type drugs. It seems likely Betty knew at least one of the people who came to her apartment that day/night. There was no sign of forced entry and her daughter thought someone might have come by that evening or early morning. I can't imagine Betty opening the door at that hour for a stranger.

Whomever it was, took her fast. Left her purse and glasses. No sign of struggle except possibly for the "scratch" on the storm door.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romeo20
Back