Found Deceased CA - Paul Miller, 51, Canadian, Joshua Tree Natl Park, San Bernardino Co., 13 Jul 2018 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is an interesting point, that this is possible after 18 months.

Posted by an admin of Facebook Page under comments and in response to possibility of dehydration.

“He still had water in his pack. He did not go in unprepared.”

That likely means he didn't drink enough. IIRC he only took 2-3 liters. It should have been gone within about 45 minutes of the trailhead.

But thank goodness, the end seems to have been quick.

Relief to know that he has been found. Whatever event took his life it appears that he died rather quickly. Thoughts go out to his family as I am sure the grief is overwhelming even though they most likely knew he was deceased long ago.

Paul's family and friends currently in California would like to meet those who assisted in the search for him.

We will be at Edchada's on Monday evening, from roughly 6-8pm.

Please drop in to raise a glass to Paul

Edchadas Mexican Restaurant

Find Paul Miller

This is a super nice gesture by the family to meet with searchers.

Family of missing Joshua Tree hiker return to site where remains were found; backpack still had food and water - KESQ

Loved ones of Canadian hiker Paul Miller, whose remains were discovered in Joshua Tree National Park a year and a half after he went missing, were back in the desert Monday night to thank the many people who helped in the search efforts.

On an emotional hike, they returned to the spot where Miller's remains were found — seeing with their own eyes his final view before he died in July 2018.

"The remains were found in a slightly shaded area that we assume he sought shelter there from the sun while he was hiking," said Ainsley Otten, a family friend of the Millers.

For 18 months, the family has wondered and worried about what happened to Miller. Up until last month, there were no answers.

"We had dogs, we had I think people on horses, helicopters, airplanes," said Steve Cole, one of more than 100 search and rescue volunteers who canvassed the area around the 49 Palms Oasis Trail for five days when Miller went missing.

"It was in a wide place in the canyon hidden behind a rock, so it's very difficult to see where he was," said Joshua Tree National Park superintendent David Smith, who brought the family back to the spot Tuesday.

"I think it was very significant for them to be able to see what he saw the day that he died, and also just to say goodbye and have a connection with this place," Smith said.

Wow, I only just saw the news that Paul has been found. This was one of the first threads that I followed after joining WS and it felt like we were never going to get an answer to this one. So sorry for his family and friends but I am so glad that they can now get some closure. RIP Paul.

Family of missing Joshua Tree hiker return to site where remains were found; backpack still had food and water - KESQ

Loved ones of Canadian hiker Paul Miller, whose remains were discovered in Joshua Tree National Park a year and a half after he went missing, were back in the desert Monday night to thank the many people who helped in the search efforts.

On an emotional hike, they returned to the spot where Miller's remains were found — seeing with their own eyes his final view before he died in July 2018.

"The remains were found in a slightly shaded area that we assume he sought shelter there from the sun while he was hiking," said Ainsley Otten, a family friend of the Millers.

For 18 months, the family has wondered and worried about what happened to Miller. Up until last month, there were no answers.

"We had dogs, we had I think people on horses, helicopters, airplanes," said Steve Cole, one of more than 100 search and rescue volunteers who canvassed the area around the 49 Palms Oasis Trail for five days when Miller went missing.

"It was in a wide place in the canyon hidden behind a rock, so it's very difficult to see where he was," said Joshua Tree National Park superintendent David Smith, who brought the family back to the spot Tuesday.

"I think it was very significant for them to be able to see what he saw the day that he died, and also just to say goodbye and have a connection with this place," Smith said.

Wow, sounds like he didn't fall. Maybe a heart attack? :(

In the video his wife said if Paul had to go, she's thankful he went doing something he loved to do and in a place that was on his bucket list.

I cannot imagine how the drone recognized remains that old, but thankful for the family that they did.
Bodies decompose but modern hiking clothes generally don't.

Wow, sounds like he didn't fall. Maybe a heart attack? :(

In the video his wife said if Paul had to go, she's thankful he went doing something he loved to do and in a place that was on his bucket list.
Almost certainly heart attack, stroke, asthma or something else related to his physical activity. Hopefully he just was able to sit down in hope of catching his breath then just lost consciousness with little pain.

Our friend died from heat stroke. He was chain sawing some limbs......went to sit down in the chair for a break and that is where his family found him later that afternoon. Sitting in the chair with the chain saw in his lap. Just fell unconscious and died very quickly.

RIP Paul Miller.

Bodies decompose but modern hiking clothes generally don't.

Almost certainly heart attack, stroke, asthma or something else related to his physical activity. Hopefully he just was able to sit down in hope of catching his breath then just lost consciousness with little pain.

I would agree that it is likely a condition you describe or self harm. I honestly do not think they will be able to determine and his death will go down as undetermined. At least his family can have (at least some) closure. I feel so bad for those families who wait years and years for their loved one to be found.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OwlEyes