Found Deceased OH - Harley Dilly, 14, walking to Port Clinton High School, 20 Dec 2019 #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can’t speak for o/p but it was stated in HD’s lovely obit that he volunteered annually to ring the SA bell during Christmas season and man the kettle for donations.
My query was in response to this post?
So if mom would have answered or called the school back she could have been out looking for him instead of "donating " to the salvation army. Just my opinion.

My query was in response to this post?
I got that.

It seems to me that SA was near and dear to HD’s heart. Mom probably made request for donations sent to SA in memory of her son.

Post was obviously directed at HD’s mother for not acting as o/p thought she should.

MOO

IMO, it isn't clear because no one at his home has publicly stated that he spent Thursday night in the home.

We learn that his father told police when reporting him missing that:
1. Harley spent Thursday evening at a friend's house;
2. Harley tried to stay home from school Friday but his mother told him to go; and
3. Before Harley went missing his phone was broken and he wanted a new one, but was told he'd have to earn it, which made him angry.

As to #2, we learned from Harley's mother's own words when being interviewed on camera on the front porch of her home, that Harley's mother "did not see him, I talked to him, and there is a difference." The interviewer was not able to clarify what that meant precisely (did they speak in a dark room, though a closed door in the house, or through an entry door to the house, with her on the inside and him on the outside?) because Harley's mother said that she could not say more because "doing so might jeopardize him."

Nowhere, to my knowledge, has anyone stated for the record that Harley arrived home Thursday evening, spent the night there, and departed from there the next morning. The only evidence we have that Harley was near his own home on Friday morning was the grainy surveillance photo.

So the mom did later clarify (the dark room) but that was not reported by anyone but her( On the Missing Harley Dilly facebook pg.). I wonder if Harley was staying (living ) somewhere else nearby since Thursday night and Friday are so cloudy. Who knows and MOO.

Last edited:
Good catch. The report says that both HD and D were at J's house on the Thursday after school. So why would HD have gone to D's house on that same day to ask if he could also attend the game? Perhaps D is correct is saying it was the Friday after school????

"[J's dad, Mr. Crowe] stated his son [James] is sleeping but advised me that Harley and [D] were with his son on Thursday after school. [Mr. Crowe] advised when he saw Harley last he had stated he was heading home. I asked Mr. Crowe where D lives and he stated Superior Court. Mr. Crowe advised that he took D and his son to a Cavs game on Friday night."

How do you not know where your son's friends live??? It's a smaller town...obviously he could walk to the homes.?.?...I just dont understand how parents can be so nonchalant about not knowing where their children are. Especially if they claim he was autistic and things... why in the heck would you not know??? It's just a shame....shame on them.

So the mom did later clarify (the dark room) but that was not reported by anyone but her. I wonder if Harley was staying (living ) somewhere else nearby since Thursday night and Friday are so cloudy. Who knows and MOO.

Do you have a link where mom further clarified that she meant "the dark room?" I hadn't seen that; I've only seen others speculate that is what she meant.

Like you, I wonder if Harley was somewhere nearby other than in his family home on Thursday night.

In his efforts to seek alternative shelter in the past, I wonder if Harley had entered the Fulton St house using the key in the lockbox. To do so, he would need access to whatever was required to open the lockbox (e.g. a key or code) and I wonder if his family was then or at some earlier point in time authorized to have that, but didn't think of it when he turned up missing. It's not uncommon for neighbors to be hired to take care of structures or grounds of part-time residents and they are often left codes/keys to access equipment and supplies to complete their work.

Police have reported that the last time a family member of those homeowners visited the Fulton St. house in November, they forgot to leave the key in the lockbox, so police had to track down that key to gain access themselves. If Harley had used the lockbox to get to that key in the past, the absence of that key could have motivated him to seek another way in.

It's heartbreaking no matter what motivated Harley to enter that chimney. Even if all that I just speculated were to be determined to be true, it likely would not have changed the outcome had anyone closer to him figured it out for themselves when they finally realized he was missing too long for comfort.

Last edited:
Do you have a link where mom further clarified that she meant "the dark room?" Or, would that involve SM that would violate TOS?

I just added that to my post it was on The Missing Harley Dilly facebook pg if that is ok or I will delete .

IMO, it isn't clear because no one at his home has publicly stated that he spent Thursday night in the home.

We learn that his father told police when reporting him missing that:
1. Harley spent Thursday evening at a friend's house;
2. Harley tried to stay home from school Friday but his mother told him to go; and
3. Before Harley went missing his phone was broken and he wanted a new one, but was told he'd have to earn it, which made him angry.

As to #2, we learned from Harley's mother's own words when being interviewed on camera on the front porch of her home, that Harley's mother "did not see him, I talked to him, and there is a difference." The interviewer was not able to clarify what that meant precisely (did they speak in a dark room, though a closed door in the house, or through an entry door to the house, with her on the inside and him on the outside?) because Harley's mother said that she could not say more because "doing so might jeopardize him."

Nowhere, to my knowledge, has anyone stated for the record that Harley arrived home Thursday evening, spent the night there, and departed from there the next morning. The only evidence we have that Harley was near his own home on Friday morning was the grainy surveillance photo.
To my knowledge, nobody has stated that he *wasn't* at home on Thursday night? And I can't see anywhere in the police report that his dad reported his son had spent Thurs evening at a friend's house? But yet he did report that his son has previously stayed out all night on a Friday night, but would return on Saturday morning. His mom reported to police that she had spoken to him early Friday morning and that to her knowledge he had then 'left' and gone to school. To me, all of the above might indicate that HD was home on Thursday night unless there is a reason to believe otherwise? Is there?

was the upper window @ the house they found HD in broken before?? I noticed it the other day in someone's live stream that the "attic" window is broken. I can't remember if it was broken the night they were doing the search or not. I will go back and look, but thought I would ask here to see if anyone else had noticed.

Do you have a link where mom further clarified that she meant "the dark room?" I hadn't seen that; I've only seen others speculate that is what she meant.

Like you, I wonder if Harley was somewhere nearby other than in his family home on Thursday night.

In his efforts to seek alternative shelter in the past, I wonder if Harley had entered the Fulton St house using the key in the lockbox. To do so, he would need access to whatever was required to open the lockbox (e.g. a key or code) and I wonder if his family was then or at some earlier point in time authorized to have that, but didn't think of it when he turned up missing. It's not uncommon for neighbors to be hired to take care of structures or grounds of part-time residents and they are often left codes/keys to access equipment and supplies to complete their work.

Police have reported that the last time a family member of those homeowners visited the Fulton St. house in November, they forgot to leave the key in the lockbox, so police had to track down that key to gain access themselves. If Harley had used the lockbox to get to that key in the past, the absence of that key could have motivated him to seek another way in.

It's heartbreaking no matter what motivated Harley to enter that chimney. Even if all that I just speculated were to be determined to be true, it likely would not have changed the outcome had anyone closer to him figured it out for themselves when they finally realized he was missing too long for comfort.

You may be right and this is so sad .

Last edited:
But his glasses would be no use to him on the roof if he was inside. I'm v short sighted and my glasses (or lenses) are the single most important thing I own. I'm literally helpless without them.

I think the poor lad dropped them down wrapped inside his coat, thinking he would join them momentarily. The coat was used to protect them and also made him more streamlined without it on.

All just my own thoughts.

Desperately sad case. It's unbearable thinking of him trapped and panicked.

this is all speculation:

oh my gosh ..... I really want to know if he went in feet or head first. reading your reply made me think...... what if he looked inside the stack and his glasses fell off; perhaps getting stuck where he thought he could reach them? so he wiggled his upper body into the stack assuming he could grab the glasses and stand back up, but he slipped further than he intended and kept sliding down headfirst. his jacket might have come off since his arms were extended in front of him and by the time he got to the end of the slide-down his body pushed the jacket through the flue along with the glasses.

if he went head-first, there would be no way to hold himself erect and his body would gradually collapse onto itself as much as the limited space allowed.

just speculating. It does make more sense to me than any other theory I have heard so far —— if this was an accident, which I believe it was.

One of those friends told police he saw Harley after school Friday; that Harley knocked on his door wanting to know if he could go to a Cavs game with him. He told Harley there were no more tickets. Harley was wearing a red coat with gray sweatpants and black tennis shoes at the time, the report states.
So the plot thickens. Harley was supposed to go to school, but he didn't. we now know he couldn't have died within the first 7 hrs that morning after being seen on surveillance at 6:08. If he went to the friends door Friday after school.
This case has more holes than swiss cheese.
I'll just sit on my hands.
MOO

if you go back and re-read the article, it was corrected to say the father of the friends corrected the day to be on Thursday (not Friday)

Initial Harley Dilly police report released: Includes new details about teen’s life, time leading up to disappearance
**Editor's note: The Port Clinton Police Department's initial report stated that a friend of Harley's saw him after school on Friday during a discussion over Cavs tickets. The department said the incident was "misremembered" by the child and was not true. The story above has been modified to reflect the department's correction.

I’ve been thinking about the sketchiness around the reasoning of searching that house, that day. - what were they doing the day before? Early that morning?

I think the chief is a terrible communicator- the answer could very well be we looked at the grid map the day, or days before and highlighted areas we wanted to take a second look at...we started in the areas located closest to the Dilly home

The reason for not searching the house sooner is because it was completely locked up and there were other more accessible places to search.

Then the reason for weeks later, finally deciding to search the house, is because there was a lock box on the back door and multiple people could have keys.

I agree with you, the reasoning sounds sketchy. Why wait weeks?

"..Port Clinton Police Chief Robert Hickman said Tuesday that a lock box outside the vacant home prompted police to check again.

“Since a lock box can allow multiple people to have access into a home, and the house was vacant, we pursued entry into the house,” Hickman said.

Dimoff stressed getting inside the house, where Harley was eventually found, would not have been a priority early on in the investigation.

"There was a lot of other areas: trash cans with no locks or trash dumpsters, woods, water, bridges, hiding place, alleys," Dimoff said.. "

Former officer says Port Clinton police followed protocols

Hickman said the residence had been checked multiple times before throughout the ongoing search for the missing teen, but authorities found no signs of forced entry into the home, as the windows were all locked and the doors were all secured. The rear door was secured with a lockbox, according to Hickman.

Body of missing Ohio teen Harley Dilly found in neighbor’s chimney, police say

To my knowledge, nobody has stated that he *wasn't* at home on Thursday night? And I can't see anywhere in the police report that his dad reported his son had spent Thurs evening at a friend's house? But yet he did report that his son has previously stayed out all night on a Friday night, but would return on Saturday morning. His mom reported to police that she had spoken to him early Friday morning and that to her knowledge he had then 'left' and gone to school. To me, all of the above might indicate that HD was home on Thursday night unless there is a reason to believe otherwise? Is there?
Not responding directly to you...
However
Swiss cheese...
Holes in the story ....
Just my opinion

this is all speculation:

oh my gosh ..... I really want to know if he went in feet or head first. reading your reply made me think...... what if he looked inside the stack and his glasses fell off; perhaps getting stuck where he thought he could reach them? so he wiggled his upper body into the stack assuming he could grab the glasses and stand back up, but he slipped further than he intended and kept sliding down headfirst. his jacket might have come off since his arms were extended in front of him and by the time he got to the end of the slide-down his body pushed the jacket through the flue along with the glasses.

if he went head-first, there would be no way to hold himself erect and his body would gradually collapse onto itself as much as the limited space allowed.

just speculating. It does make more sense to me than any other theory I have heard so far —— if this was an accident, which I believe it was.

How would his coat come off if he was sliding down head first with his arms out in front of him?

And his body just accidentally pushed his coat and glasses out of the flue hole.....as he slid past it?

No. Just no.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member