Found Deceased OH - Harley Dilly, 14, walking to Port Clinton High School, 20 Dec 2019 #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it weird that the flue would be open when the house was unoccupied? An open flue lets in cold air. Animals like squirrels and birds get into chimneys most of the time a closed flue prevents them from getting into your home. My grandparents had dead squirrels removed from their chimney at least once. They got trapped. It seems odd that his jacket and glasses would be next to the fireplace.

ITA. According to the owners, the house was being remodeled. Who knows what was exposed? According to LE, the case is still under investigation. I say, let the family lay their child to rest. There is plenty of time to hold someone accountable and to raise questions.

Police report gives new details on Harley Dilly's disappearance

JMO

The expert you cite in the link is very clear how if the glasses and coat were dropped, they would be deflected on to the floor -- which is where police reportedly found them.

Again, no indication that HD entered the house because he was stuck inside the chimney. I agree with the expert -- he dropped the items down the chimney.

The flue, which could be angled in the open position, is located there. If the glasses and coat were dropped, they would be deflected onto the floor. Besides the chimney opening twisting at that site, it also narrows to roughly six inches, making it impossible for anyone of any size to squeeze through that area.

ETA: Hickman quote in your post does not match the linked article or video.

How does anything dropped down a chimney flue "deflect" 90 degrees outside of the flue? Especially if the opening is only 6 inches (if there was an opening) and it is pitch black? Especially a puffy jacket and eye glasses that are light weight in terms of gravity?

Sorry, but that makes zero sense to me. We'll agree to disagree. The last line of this news report tells me all I need to know.

Ohio Attorney General Dave Yost issued the following statement: “We are heartbroken over the outcome but know every effort was made to find Harley. Chief Hickman shouldered the weight of this investigation which has resulted in a tragic loss for the community of Port Clinton. No case is tougher than when a kid goes missing.”

The case remains under investigation.

Tragedy: Harley Dilly found in chimney of unoccupied home

JMO

How does anything dropped down a chimney flue "deflect" 90 degrees outside of the flue? Especially if the opening is only 6 inches (if there was an opening) and it is pitch black? Especially a puffy jacket and eye glasses that are light weight in terms of gravity?

Sorry, but that makes zero sense to me. We'll agree to disagree. The last line of this news report tells me all I need to know.

Ohio Attorney General Dave Yost issued the following statement: “We are heartbroken over the outcome but know every effort was made to find Harley. Chief Hickman shouldered the weight of this investigation which has resulted in a tragic loss for the community of Port Clinton. No case is tougher than when a kid goes missing.”

JMO
Well it made complete sense to the people who, you know, actually witnessed the scene.

And yes, the case remains under investigation. That is not an indication that anything is going to change, as confused as some people may be.

Due diligence and all.

Last edited:

JMO

Here you go -- this is your post and the "Chimney Expert" you chose to cite. You're not disagreeing with me - you're disagreeing with your own expert. MOO

BBM. His coat and glasses were found INSIDE the house. If the chimney opening prevented Harley from expanding his chest to breathe, I think it is highly doubtful he made it from the roof all the way through the attic to the second floor.

If there was no room for his chest to expand, there was no room for him to push anything thru a flue which I find it highly doubtful he even knew was there because it was pitch black. Even the chimney "expert" quoted in this news article wanted to remain anonymous. I can certainly understand why.

JMO
Expert explains chimney design to surmise how Harley Dilly's coat, glasses were on 2nd floor of house
“Over in the chimney Harley’s jacked and glasses were pushed from the chimney through a flue and into a second floor of the home," Hickman said.

Is it normal that in this police report that the dad is called Marcus throughout the report opposed to Mr. Dilly as is the same for the mother? I noticed another individual being called Mr. (last name) and thought it was a little strange, but could be very normal. Could it be showing a personal relationship with the family (with the PD) or could be nothing out of the ordinary. Just wondering.

Reactions: osu
Is it normal that in this police report that the dad is called Marcus throughout the report opposed to Mr. Dilly as is the same for the mother? I noticed another individual being called Mr. (last name) and thought it was a little strange, but could be very normal. Could it be showing a personal relationship with the family (with the PD) or could be nothing out of the ordinary. Just wondering.
There are several names mentioned there, and everyone’s name appears in the same format (save one); full name initially, then first name in further references.

So it’s definitely not indicative of any familiarity or relationship.

Everyone seems to be identified in the same way, except for the individual noted as 'Mr.'.. I think that is because he shares the same first name as his son, who was already identified by his first name in the report and was friends with HD, so as not to invite confusion in reading the report as to which 'James' was saying which things.

Health Information of Deceased Individuals
The HIPAA Privacy Rule protects the individually identifiable health information about a decedent for 50 years following the date of death of the individual. This period of protection for decedent health information balances the privacy interests of surviving relatives and other individuals with a relationship to the decedent, with the need for archivists, biographers, historians, and others to access old or ancient records on deceased individuals for historical purposes. During the 50-year period of protection, the personal representative of the decedent (i.e., the person under applicable law with authority to act on behalf of the decedent or the decedent’s estate) has the ability to exercise the rights under the Privacy Rule with regard to the decedent’s health information, such as authorizing certain uses and disclosures of, and gaining access to, the information. With respect to family members or other persons involved in the individual’s health care or payment for care prior to the individual’s death, but who are not personal representatives, the Privacy Rule permits a covered entity to disclose the relevant protected health information of the decedent to such persons, unless doing so is inconsistent with any prior expressed preference of the deceased individual that is known to the covered entity.​

more at link. Still not sure if the police report would be considered a HIIPA violation. It’s just stating what was told to them by the father, so I’m leaning toward no.

a HIPPA violation would be if a health care provider said he had autism. The police are not underneath HIPPAs authority (neither are the parents, if they wish to disclose information about their son and they can do so). I agree with your view on this as well!

JMO
The homeowner says 8 inches and yes there were openings. And no fireplace. Again, how do you suggest this kid ended up in a chimney if not from a rooftop??

"There was no openings in that chimney other than, like eight-inch diameter openings in different places throughout. You know, on the first floor and the second floor for a stovepipe to go into it," said Jim.

He also says the home does not have a fireplace.

‘Our family is heartbroken over this’: Owner of home where Harley Dilly’s body was found speaks out

IMO the "not corroborated" choice of words by LEO could be because his mother/parents self diagnosed him. Went online read a few things and thought he fit the patterns and started telling people he has ADHD and Autism, but there was no official diagnosis from an actual doctor, or he could have been in the process of being diagnosed. Sadly, this happens more than we all would like to admit. I personally know somebody in my family that has done this very thing with multiple medical issues for her daughter. And not a single one of them has been backed up by a medical professional, but that doesn't stop her from telling every person she meets that her daughter has a laundry list of problems.
(please don't think I'm bashing the mother, just thinking out loud and trying to make sense of why they would say that exact phrase)

I'm not saying this is the reason why the Chief said it was not corroborated, but it's the only reason that makes sense to me. I know some think that it's a non issues and people are reading too much into it, but I feel it does matter in the process of the investigation. First, putting info out there that was not corroborated can lead to releasing false information. We all know if they would have released he WAS autistic with no evidence and later on it came out that he wasn't diagnosed then people would have tore LEO apart for not fact checking well enough which will lead to people second guessing the entire investigation (which is happening anyways, so it really doesn't even matter now). And also, most everybody knows that when person is Autistic they usually do not act the same was as a kid without Autism so it is good information to get out to the public during the search IF it is actually true. I think the chief was right in not saying he was diagnosed with Autism and ADHD if there was not factual medical proof from a licensed medical professional.

This got me wondering about HIPPA, and if anybody knows I would love to know the answer. Because he is a minor his parents can release any medical history information to LEO, right?

Perhaps when LE says HD's medical history, specially the parents disclosing to them he was autistic, is not corroborated because they simply did not find it relevant to the case to confirm, subpoena medical records. Therefor, it's not been corroborated.

How do you not know where your son's friends live??? It's a smaller town...obviously he could walk to the homes.?.?...I just dont understand how parents can be so nonchalant about not knowing where their children are. Especially if they claim he was autistic and things... why in the heck would you not know??? It's just a shame....shame on them.

What I cannot wrap my head around is they didn't often know where he was that he'd leave overnight often. He didn't text/call ask permission first or at least tell them where he was going or at? He is still a minor so knowing where your minor teen is should be top priority for a parent, correct?

I wonder if it was unusual for Harley to up so early on a school day. I have been thinking his mom was still in bed and that’s why she only spoke to Harley (perhaps through a closed door) and didn’t see him. It’s certainly possible that the household normally didn’t get going for another hour or so. Also she’s been ill so perhaps she sleeps in a bit when she can. I’m sure she’s heartbroken that she didn’t see Harley that morning.

As for how his jacket got out the opening, I imagine he balled it up and dropped it in, and when he was low enough he managed to shove it out using a foot - probably thinking or praying he could follow after it. It’s too heartbreaking to think about.

Sorry if this has been discussed, but do we know if he went feet-first down the chimney or head-first?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie