CA CA - Kristin Smart, 19, San Luis Obispo, 25 May 1996

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great spreadsheet, interesting the 10yr gap without arrests (that are known). 2005-2015

You can see the progression with what I assume are all the DUI arrests. Was alcohol used to control his demons or feed them?

IMO being the first allegation of date rape that I am aware of started in his teens years he could have assaulted 100's.

Back in the 90's is when GHB became prevalent and at the time it usually was taken as a HE said SHE said case or NOT reported at all.

very interesting about this new development...of course we're all analyzing what they could mean. she's alive? but i'm not sure why they recommend her family get away. if a missing person was found alive wouldn't they reunite them as soon as possible?

the part about getting a spokesperson makes me think it's linked to a high profile killer, maybe serial killer. I know people have mentioned Scott Peterson before because he was at Cal at the same time...I generally lean away from that theory but who knows maybe it is him?

or if not a killer, maybe linked to some other high profile person in the community. not to be crass, but being killed by the last person known to have been with her wouldn't really fall under "something you wouldn't expect" IMO
Well she’s definitely not alive, so that’s not going to be it. She was declared dead in 2002, and there was good reason for that.

Scott Peterson’s reason for killing was similar to that of other family annihilators. The psychology isn’t the same as that of a serial killer, who kills for gratification.

An arrest after this length of time, would bring about a great deal of media attention. The family needs to be prepared for that, or the recovery of her body.

This is all true, MassGuy. Where I'm flummoxed is the wording here:

"This is really going to be something you don't expect. We want to give you the support you need,"

Finding remains isn't unexpected? It comes across as something else, even if that is the result

Well she’s definitely not alive, so that’s not going to be it. She was declared dead in 2002, and there was good reason for that.

Scott Peterson’s reason for killing was similar to that of other family annihilators. The psychology isn’t the same as that of a serial killer, who kills for gratification.

An arrest after this length of time, would bring about a great deal of media attention. The family needs to be prepared for that, or the recovery of her body.

Agreed on SP, which is why i had leaned away from that but again - "unexpected". IMO if it was recovery of a body and/or arrest of somebody who wasn't high profile, i just don't think they would tell them it's not what you'd expect. Like you said, she was declared dead so recovery of body would hardly be unexpected. (assuming, of course, the comments are valid, we don't even know at this point if they are.)

I think recovery of a body. The “in my own backyard” podcast is really something to listen to.

Very Interesting. I have seen the allegations of rape but have not come across that yet.

I am not surprised. I would actually be more surprised if poor Kristin was his only victim. Thanks for that...

ETA: aha on episode 6 of podcast....can't wait for episode 7
Which podcast are you referring to?

https://www.sanluisobispo.com/news/local/article239537818.html

New update says FBI is partnering with SLO County sheriff "bringing in specially-trained dogs and the excavation process". ETA: This may be a caption from an old video 2016 linked to the new article.....

and

"In their latest statement, the family said the San Luis Obispo County Sheriff’s Office — which is leading the investigation into Kristin’s 1996 disappearance along with the FBI — is “not putting any timetable on the completion of it.”

Last edited:
Last edited:
Agreed on SP, which is why i had leaned away from that but again - "unexpected". IMO if it was recovery of a body and/or arrest of somebody who wasn't high profile, i just don't think they would tell them it's not what you'd expect. Like you said, she was declared dead so recovery of body would hardly be unexpected. (assuming, of course, the comments are valid, we don't even know at this point if they are.)

That's my line of thinking as well. There have been other missing people cases where remains were found after 20+ years. I don't remember the FBI or any type of LE releasing such ominous statement before the news broke.

BBM-Oh boy! Could this be a turf war? Someone from the FBI who has formed a relationship with the Smart family shared inappropriately. Now the FBI has to CYA and are referring media to SLOCSO?
I believe your on to something. A bit of back pedaling going on the past hour......although they did take the FBI's recommendation to get a spokesperson....

"A Smart family spokesman released a new statement Wednesday saying, “Over the past few days, our family has been overwhelmed with inquiries about the investigation. We sincerely appreciate the amazing support we've received and want to be clear that this is an ongoing investigation that is complex, fluid and continuing. The San Luis Obispo County Sheriff’s Office is leading the investigation and they are not putting any timetable on the completion of it. We support the Sheriff Department's efforts and commitment. It is vitally important that they take the necessary time required. To clarify an important point about timing, there is no current timeline for any announcement. When the Sheriff’s Department completes the investigation, they will notify all of us when there is news to announce. Thank you for your understanding and our shared interest in the ongoing investigation."

Family of Kristin Smart releases new statement on investigation update - KEYT | KCOY

I want to refresh myself on this young lady. What are some good podcasts to listen to or shows to watch?

She's been gone for nearly 24 years. If she were my daughter, I can easily list the things I would expect, eventually. They found a body, or they found some other evidence to nail a suspect to the wall, or they found partial remains somewhere, even if it wasn't all of her. Based on the length of time alone, I would 100% expect for them to eventually find her deceased or some kind of evidence that she was in fact deceased.

There is only 1 thing I would most definitely not expect: after all this time, she is found alive. I mean, among the realm of realistic possibilities anyway, that's really the only one that would completely blow me away, feed the media like crazy (remember the global media coverage when they found Amanda, Gina and Michelle in Castro's house, after only 10 years?), and require that I might need a 3rd party family spokesperson to answer media questions.

I believe your on to something. A bit of back pedaling going on the past hour......although they did take the FBI's recommendation to get a spokesperson....

"A Smart family spokesman released a new statement Wednesday saying, “Over the past few days, our family has been overwhelmed with inquiries about the investigation. We sincerely appreciate the amazing support we've received and want to be clear that this is an ongoing investigation that is complex, fluid and continuing. The San Luis Obispo County Sheriff’s Office is leading the investigation and they are not putting any timetable on the completion of it. We support the Sheriff Department's efforts and commitment. It is vitally important that they take the necessary time required. To clarify an important point about timing, there is no current timeline for any announcement. When the Sheriff’s Department completes the investigation, they will notify all of us when there is news to announce. Thank you for your understanding and our shared interest in the ongoing investigation."

Family of Kristin Smart releases new statement on investigation update - KEYT | KCOY
Adding: Dan Dow (DA) also has to buy off on the investigation and any potential arrest/prosecution. So whatever is happening behind the scenes, may take more time to put the pieces together.

She's been gone for nearly 24 years. If she were my daughter, I can easily list the things I would expect, eventually. They found a body, or they found some other evidence to nail a suspect to the wall, or they found partial remains somewhere, even if it wasn't all of her. Based on the length of time alone, I would 100% expect for them to eventually find her deceased or some kind of evidence that she was in fact deceased.

There is only 1 thing I would most definitely not expect: after all this time, she is found alive. I mean, among the realm of realistic possibilities anyway, that's really the only one that would completely blow me away, feed the media like crazy (remember the global media coverage when they found Amanda, Gina and Michelle in Castro's house, after only 10 years?), and require that I might need a 3rd party family spokesperson to answer media questions.
Completely agree. The only thing family wouldn’t expect is for her to be alive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288