CA CA - Kristin Smart, 19, San Luis Obispo, 25 May 1996

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Knox

BFS DNA Frequently Asked Questions
from State of California DOJ

DNA Sample Collection: Who & When
  1. Collection from Convicted/Adjudicated Felony Offenders: Who qualifies for DNA collection following conviction or adjudication?

(a) Any person (adult or juvenile) who is newly convicted/adjudicated of a felony offense, or who is newly convicted/adjudicated of a misdemeanor but has a prior felony (California or equivalent out-of-state crime) of record; (b) Any person (adult or juvenile) currently in custody or on probation, parole, or any other supervised release after conviction for any felony offense committed prior to November 3, 2004; (c) Any person (adult or juvenile) currently on probation or any other supervised release for any offense with a prior felony (California or equivalent out-of-state crime) of record. (See Cal. Pen. Code, §§ 295, 296, 296.1.)

ETA- Can LE follow him and grab a cigarette butt or drink container and get his DNA on the DL? Could they use it then to run through CODIS? Or do they need to get a warrant and a check swab with his knowledge.[/QUOTE]

On GSK killer they went through his trash? Did not follow that case, it scared me too much....but I know there are experts on here.

ETA: was trying to respond to Knox

Last edited:
Maybe it's been mentioned somewhere and I missed it. Does LE have PFs DNA on file? What kind of felony charge warrants a profile entry to CODIS? DUIs?

ETA- Can LE follow him and grab a cigarette butt or drink container and get his DNA on the DL? Could they use it then to run through CODIS? Or do they need to get a warrant and a check swab with his knowledge.

He would have been swabbed for DNA on one or all of his DUI arrests.

Maybe it's been mentioned somewhere and I missed it. Does LE have PFs DNA on file? What kind of felony charge warrants a profile entry to CODIS? DUIs?

ETA- Can LE follow him and grab a cigarette butt or drink container and get his DNA on the DL? Could they use it then to run through CODIS? Or do they need to get a warrant and a check swab with his knowledge.

He would have been swabbed for DNA on one or all of his DUI arrests.

yeah, I guess I remain hopeful that the current/active FBI did at least verify it was a former FBI (as opposed to just some random wackadoo). So it lends credence to him having inside knowledge, but he probably meant it as an off the cuff type of comment and probably didn't think it would blow up into a media sensation
And IMO Denise/all family will accept new exposure to their case. That is understandable and agreeable.

I read up on this case yesterday. This highlights the corruption and ineptitude prevalent within the LE community. It also exposes how large entities like universities put their reputation above the life of a student. Not only should PF be in jail, but so should members of LE and the University who all were corrupt in this case. So sad for the family. I really hope they have resolution. All IMO.

This contact by the FBI, I don’t know, I am a bit incredulous. I try to be less cynical but it does not sound authentic. I am glad this is back in the spotlight. My best friend was in the food/nutrition sciences program with him back then (Paul.)
I know people are bringing up serial killers. Last night I read an article of one who was encouraged to draw pics of his victims. One was of a girl with a blond ponytail, long, who he’d killed in LA in 1996. It wouldn’t have been impossible for her to be transported; anyway, the timing of the revelation of that one portrait was odd, and very unlikely to be her, imo, but if her claim is true maybe it is going to turn out like that (random, stranger.) However, I cannot help but be skeptical of her claim (though I do hope info is coming.) Being told to find a spokesperson and leave town...it’s been 24 years...makes me think this is a lie, a hoax or would have to be more shocking (like family member-which doesn’t make sense. even serial killer—leave town?) I cannot picture this being said to anyone legitimately.

MOO

This contact by the FBI, I don’t know, I am a bit incredulous. I try to be less cynical but it does not sound authentic. I am glad this is back in the spotlight. My best friend was in the food/nutrition sciences program with him back then (Paul.)
I know people are bringing up serial killers. Last night I read an article of one who was encouraged to draw pics of his victims. One was of a girl with a blond ponytail, long, who he’d killed in LA in 1996. It wouldn’t have been impossible for her to be transported; anyway, the timing of the revelation of that one portrait was odd, and very unlikely to be her, imo, but if her claim is true maybe it is going to turn out like that (random, stranger.) However, I cannot help but be skeptical of her claim (though I do hope info is coming.) Being told to find a spokesperson and leave town...it’s been 24 years...makes me think this is a lie, a hoax or would have to be more shocking (like family member-which doesn’t make sense. even serial killer—leave town?) I cannot picture this being said to anyone legitimately.

MOO
Samuel Little was the SK they had do the drawings. His victims were primarily black women from southern states like Georgia and Tennessee Samuel Little: Confessions of a Killer | Federal Bureau of Investigation
ETA- he does state a white female from the LA area in 1995-1996. The drawing located under that doesn’t look like KS to me- but the eyes do MOO.

For those who listened to podcast: what do you think of the concrete in PF mother’s backyard? The beeping of a watch that couldn’t be found? The earring believed to be Kristens that went missing by a detective? Ruben coming to pick up a metal garbage can after the renters moved in?

Samuel Little was the SK they had do the drawings. His victims were primarily black women from southern states like Georgia and Tennessee Samuel Little: Confessions of a Killer | Federal Bureau of Investigation
ETA- he does state a white female from the LA area in 1995-1996. The drawing located under that doesn’t look like KS to me- but the eyes do MOO.

Here's a possible scenario, really going out on a limb: PF raped, but did not murder, KS, took her someplace off campus, left her, and she encountered Little.

This would be exceptionally bad luck, but remember cellphones were not really a thing in 1996. KS was not sober when last seen, so it's theoretically *possible* She could have been picked up while stumbling around out alone.

If you listen to the account of the husband and wife who rented Paul’s mothers house, you will believe that Kristen met her death many years ago.

thank you for pointing this out! I was only 11 years old when this girl went missing so I don't know about his case at all. When I read this post I wanted to research what you were referring as well as the whole case completely because I was also with those who thought maybe Kristin was still alive and I also knew NOTHING about this girl . I found this website KRISTIN SMART STORY – The California Register and I recommend that those who are unfamiliar with this case check it out. They have literally everything that you need to know about the case including an almost hour interview with the wife who @JillR mentioned above that rented Paul's mothers house. I have not listened to it yet but am going to. I def think after reading all the facts of this that the poor girls dead and that this whole new development might end up not being anything. Especially since the FBI and spokes person said there was no statement from them that it came from someone who formally worked for the FBI.

The interview with Mary Ann Lassiter(the wife) can be found at this link: THE SMART FAMILY CONTINUES TO SUFFER – NOW PEOPLE WHO FOUND THE BLOODY EARRING HAVE FINALLY BEEN LOCATED – WHAT THEY REVEALED WAS NOTHING SHORT OF INCREDIBLE – The California Register it also has more details kind of like cliff notes on the page as well.

I also want to share the main page of the website as it has articles on there: HOME – The California Register

This is very good informative site I bet they even have old articles on there about Kristin's case.

Seems to be a lie; I’m disgusted. Well maybe now the documentary will do well when it comes out (based on podcast.)

FBI: No agent spoke to Kristin Smart family in missing college student case

MOO
I'm not writing the contact off unless they come out and say this guy doesn't have any credible information. Former FBI/LE often contract and assist on cold cases, especially if they were the original investigator. The things said appear to be strange. Also a private citizen can do and say more than an officer can. Maybe something will come out due to this story, false or not.

I don’t think you read my post clearly. I doubt it is going to be a serial killer. My friend knew Paul and I remember what all was said at the time of him. Let’s be realistic, on my campus there were 2 serial rapists while I was there, one graduated to murder, one worked his way up from Hayward to my school. Unless you were alive and on campus (her’s, mine, anyone else’s to the east bay back then you would not know of these people, it could have been any stranger let alone a famous one, see? No one is going to be able to pin it down, there are so many. Very unlikely. That goes for every campus and in between. It’s not going to be a stranger. It is not going to be a serial killer. And this announcement was disingenuous. My opinion has never changed.

Pardon typo’s—on my phone

MOO

Last edited:
I am now very much less optimistic that pending news is inevitable since we found that this was an ex-FBI agent. I'm not sure if this was intentional by the family to mischaracterize their contact or if it was a genuine mistake. The silver lining is that he brought renewed attention to the case. However, if there was any truth to the ex-FBI agent's statement to the family then it probably certainly wasn't helpful to the current FBI agents who work on this case. It could have even been detrimental. I presume, if they wanted this message to be received by the family they would have done it themselves.

Everything still seems off. Let's say the family did temporary relocate. Most people can't just do that without spending lots of money. If the ex-FBI agent was totally off his rocker, then shouldn't he feel terrible if nothing is actually coming out in the case? If the family had followed his advice they could have potentially been out thousands in hotel, lost wages, take out food, spokesperson services, etc. All of this based on his sole guidance.

For that reason part of me still wonders if the ex-FBI agent did receive an authentic tip from a current FBI agent working the case, and then, he himself went rogue, by sharing that information with the family.

I don’t think you read my post clearly. I doubt it is going to be a serial killer. My friend knew Paul and I remember what all was said at the time of him. Let’s be realistic, on my campus there were 2 serial rapists while I was there, one graduated to murder, one worked his way up from Hayward to my school. Unless you were alive and on campus (her’s, mine, anyone else’s to the east bay back then you would not know of these people, it could have been any stranger let alone a famous one, see? No one is going to be able to pin it down, there are so many. Very unlikely. That goes for every campus and in between. It’s not going to be a stranger. It is not going to be a serial killer. And this announcement was disingenuous. My opinion has never changed.

Pardon typo’s—on my phone

MOO
I completely did misread it, that’s what happens when you login before coffee :)
I wonder what your friend thinks of the possibility of PF being involved? Forgive me if you’ve discussed this already, I’m 3 sips in my first cup.

I'm not writing the contact off unless they come out and say this guy doesn't have any credible information. Former FBI/LE often contract and assist on cold cases, especially if they were the original investigator. The things said appear to be strange. Also a private citizen can do and say more than an officer can. Maybe something will come out due to this story, false or not.
I am now very much less optimistic that pending news is inevitable since we found that this was an ex-FBI agent. I'm not sure if this was intentional by the family to mischaracterize their contact or if it was a genuine mistake. The silver lining is that he brought renewed attention to the case. However, if there was any truth to the ex-FBI agent's statement to the family then it probably certainly wasn't helpful to the current FBI agents who work on this case. It could have even been detrimental. I presume, if they wanted this message to be received by the family they would have done it themselves.

Everything still seems off. Let's say the family did temporary relocate. Most people can't just do that without spending lots of money. If the ex-FBI agent was totally off his rocker, then shouldn't he feel terrible if nothing is actually coming out in the case? If the family had followed his advice they could have potentially been out thousands in hotel, lost wages, take out food, spokesperson services, etc. All of this based on his sole guidance.

For that reason part of me still wonders if the ex-FBI agent did receive an authentic tip from a current FBI agent working the case, and then, he himself went rogue, by sharing that information with the family.

Which brings his credibility even more into question. The entire statement is bizarre and so are the statements of people who were requested to interpret the statement.
I agree with your skepticism. It always surprises me when people believe things happen and have credibility just because they were reported. At this time there is no reason to think this occurred with any authority via a legitimate officer. Here’s a great example of some 3rd hand information that could be reported with “authority” and that people would cling to as evidence yet it is complete flailing speculation. MOO

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ks...-developments-in-kristin-smart-case?_amp=true

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth