Found Deceased OH - Harley Dilly, 14, walking to Port Clinton High School, 20 Dec 2019 #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I do agree that at a certain point this needs to be put to rest. I just don't think the time is not now and that's possible. There are so many unanswered questions and things that don't makes sense and until it all become clear, I don't think people are going to drop it. Not this time.

Like me, this is my biggest question and what I am most confused about:

The whole glasses and jacket found inside the 2nd floor is what is really throwing me off. It was said he was found "1/3 the way down" (ill inset link here when I find it, I'm looking!). To me that means he made it 1/3 the way down to the second floor from the roof and not all the way down to the bottom. Now, I can see the glasses making it all the way to the floor IF there was no cover on the flue opening on the second floor. IME the covers I have seen in person are made of a piece of sheet metal cut to the size of the hole and either have a spring on the top you can pop open, or it has a hinge you can push to the side and rotate up, to access inside the flue. It takes some force to get it open. Then we get to the coat making it all the way down. Puffy coats are light, and we know that the flue narrowed down to at least 6-8 inches from what the home owner said. That's not at all big enough, IMO, for the coat to free fall. It would have to be pushed and not fall on its own, it would have gotten stuck. The glasses, if went first and there was no cover I could see making it all the way to the 2nd floor, but if the reports of him getting stuck 1/3 of the way down are correct then I don't understand how at least his coat would have made it all the way to the floor or even to where part was hanging out. In my mind and in the things I have researched I just cannot picture how he could have got close enough to the flue opening to push his coat out, even with on foot.

I have no problem with the jacket & his glasses.
My own concern is the handling of this case- why was the Chief so locked into the theory Harley was willingly staying away and had run away & was choosing to stay away.
That tunnel vision drove the investigation from the start. IMO

His mother said he would not runaway
His online presence was alarming
Who did the chief think he could possibly be with?

While I do agree that at a certain point this needs to be put to rest. I just don't think the time is not now and that's possible. There are so many unanswered questions and things that don't makes sense and until it all become clear, I don't think people are going to drop it. Not this time.

The whole glasses and jacket found inside the 2nd floor is what is really throwing me off. It was said he was found "1/3 the way down" (ill inset link here when I find it, I'm looking!). To me that means he made it 1/3 the way down to the second floor from the roof and not all the way down to the bottom. Now, I can see the glasses making it all the way to the floor IF there was no cover on the flue opening on the second floor. IME the covers I have seen in person are made of a piece of sheet metal cut to the size of the hole and either have a spring on the top you can pop open, or it has a hinge you can push to the side and rotate up, to access inside the flue. It takes some force to get it open. Then we get to the coat making it all the way down. Puffy coats are light, and we know that the flue narrowed down to at least 6-8 inches from what the home owner said. That's not at all big enough, IMO, for the coat to free fall. It would have to be pushed and not fall on its own, it would have gotten stuck. The glasses, if went first and there was no cover I could see making it all the way to the 2nd floor, but if the reports of him getting stuck 1/3 of the way down are correct then I don't understand how at least his coat would have made it all the way to the floor or even to where part was hanging out. In my mind and in the things I have researched I just cannot picture how he could have got close enough to the flue opening to push his coat out, even with on foot.
I posted pictures of my flue opening and flue cover ,sometime back in this thread. I took the cover off with one finger, very easily. Mine is located in what is now a closet, but used to be used as a flue to vent a gas water heater. My home was built in 1954.

The homeowner knew that he took the key from the lockbox and made arrangements to open property for law enforcement.

Angry comments about mom's comment re. Fortnite was more about her allegedly blaming the video game, and added argument for whether or not Fortnite game actually included a "chimney" as an option.

I'm not aware of which security footage you reference other than the video investigators claimed was HD headed on his school route just before 7 AM.

Given the location of the neighbor's house and HD's own home, I'd think that any surveillance of the short distance could be interpreted as showing Harley headed to both school or the neighbor's property -- (i.e., the half-block on video would be the same route to his school as the house on the corner). MOO

This is the last statement I could find from the PCPD on their official FB page. This was issued by Chief Hickman on the morning of the 13th, the day he was later found.

"As most now know, Harley Dilly was last observed on what we believe to be him on video footage leave his residence in the 500 block of E. 5th Street at 06:08 in the morning, on Friday, December 20th, 2019.

Harley’s path of travel was southbound down the alley towards Magruder Hospital, which is believed to be his normal path of travel due to the video footage we have reviewed for the week, leading up to Harley’s disappearance. The school would be located southwest of that alley that Harley was last observed walking."

So 6:08 am, their last believed sighting. His normal route, they thought, but you have to wonder about the time.​

About 15 seconds in or so, there's the broken window in the foundation I was trying to find everywhere. I've been trying to affirm in my own mind whether any such image of it even existed or if it was just rumor. According to the Ottowa County records for the property that's a crawl space vs a full basement.
I took a screenshot of that window from link above and pasting it below.. to me it looks like there is a wooden board in place of the window, but the board is propped open a little,.. it looks to be with some kind of a pole or stick to push and prop the board in place to the inside, and looks also like there is a block or a brick or something also in the bottom center.. the purpose of these items might be to keep the wood ajar from the window hole.. could the homeowner have done this to allow airflow into their crawlspace (ie to possibly prevent mold growth or something?)? Or could this have been done ahead of time by kids, or by HD? Could HD have done this thinking that if he went down through the chimney, he'd go straight down and land in the crawlspace (thereby also circumventing any alarm activity in the process), and that he'd then be able to ensure his escape out through the basement window later when he wanted to head home?
ETA: After blowing it up a bit more (also attaching below), it is a broom that is propping the board open at the window.
Screenshot (150).png

enlarged:
Screenshot (150) larger.png

This is the last statement I could find from the PCPD on their official FB page. This was issued by Chief Hickman on the morning of the 13th, the day he was later found.

"As most now know, Harley Dilly was last observed on what we believe to be him on video footage leave his residence in the 500 block of E. 5th Street at 06:08 in the morning, on Friday, December 20th, 2019.

Harley’s path of travel was southbound down the alley towards Magruder Hospital, which is believed to be his normal path of travel due to the video footage we have reviewed for the week, leading up to Harley’s disappearance. The school would be located southwest of that alley that Harley was last observed walking."

So 6:08 am, their last believed sighting. His normal route, they thought, but you have to wonder about the time.​
It would have been nice if the Chief could have also established, in addition to that it was his usual route, whether this was also HD's normal departure time, .... or not.

Also, if as the Chief said in his words above, the video caught HD 'leave his residence', then that would suggest that HD was in fact at home before he left. (Some have speculated that he may have stayed out on the Thursday night as well, since his mom has stated that she didn't actually 'see' him that morning, but only spoke to him.)

I do find it a bit odd that Chief Hickman is the admin for the FB page raising money (Harley's Project 236) Just seems like he might be too personally involved. I get its a small town (and have lived in one where I was close friends with the Sheriff) IMO, in a case like this where there is so much animosity; he should probably take a step back.

Honor Harley properly

The ongoing criticism of the investigation into the disappearance of the late Harley Dilly in Port Clinton needs to move on from the rumormongering and public demonstrating that have recently occurred.

Amateur sleuths were enraged at the pace of the investigation for the 14-year-old, who went missing Dec. 20. Some thought the return of investigators to the vacant Fulton Street home implied a tip. It was no tip, just investigators starting back at square one. Sadly, but at least solving the case, they found his body Jan. 13 in the chimney where it is believed he got stuck while trying to enter the house across the street from his own.

Everyone following the nearly month-long missing person search hoped Harley would be found at a friend’s house, or camped out under a bridge, or even hitchhiking in some other state. In that event he’d still be alive.

That he should be found dead within a stone’s throw of his house was like a kick to the stomach.
Continues at link

Port Clinton comes together to support Harley Dilly's family while they await his funeral

PORT CLINTON, Ohio — Port Clinton is awaiting the funeral arrangements for the teen who was found dead after he went missing in December.

Harley Dilly will be laid to rest this Saturday, and those who are in contact with the family are inviting you to show your support.

"It's hard you know. There's no right way or wrong way to grieve once you leave your son you know. Who's to say what's the proper way? They're doing the best they can. They have their good days and bad days," said Marc Wolfe, the manager for Fisherman's Wharf in Port Clinton.
Continued/video at link

I do find it a bit odd that Chief Hickman is the admin for the FB page raising money (Harley's Project 236) Just seems like he might be too personally involved. I get its a small town (and have lived in one where I was close friends with the Sheriff) IMO, in a case like this where there is so much animosity; he should probably take a step back.

I don't see his name mentioned on the Facebook page or in any articles relating to Harley's Project 236 so maybe he is keeping a low profile. 2 community members started the Project and they are in charge of the PayPal account for donations.

From Harley Project 236 Facebook:

"........ I will be leaving the PayPal fund open and Marc and I will be working on ramping up a non-profit in Harley’s memory- Harley’s Project 236. Any further donations will go to a scholarship fund in Harley’s memory and to other acts of kindness that we will be working on as we get through the next few rough weeks. Feel free to share with your friends and invite them to the Hearts for Harley page as well. Prayers for peace for all of you, our friends and PROJECT 236 warriors.

PORT CLINTON, Ohio — A business owner and a volunteer search organizer are creating a scholarship fund in the name of a Port Clinton teen who went missing for weeks and was found dead inside the chimney of an unoccupied home.

The Port Clinton News-Herald reports Marc Wolfe, owner of Port Clinton bait and tackle store Fisherman's Wharf, and search organizer Megan Lenthe plan to create a non-profit to oversee the scholarship fund in Harley Dilly's name.

Scholarship fund planned to honor the memory of Port Clinton teen Harley Dilly

I agree the coat wouldn't have just fallen out. I just think that the "1/3rd" statement refers to the length of the chimney (floor to rooftop), not the distance to the flue opening. The opening should have been at least a few feet above the floor, I think, and could possibly have been much higher (members have posted images of flue openings very high up the wall). In that case, I believe Harley's feet could have reached far enough to push his coat out the opening, even while his torso was in the middle third of the overall chimney. MOO.

I took a screenshot of that window from link above and pasting it below.. to me it looks like there is a wooden board in place of the window, but the board is propped open a little,.. it looks to be with some kind of a pole or stick to push and prop the board in place to the inside, and looks also like there is a block or a brick or something also in the bottom center.. the purpose of these items might be to keep the wood ajar from the window hole.. could the homeowner have done this to allow airflow into their crawlspace (ie to possibly prevent mold growth or something?)? Or could this have been done ahead of time by kids, or by HD? Could HD have done this thinking that if he went down through the chimney, he'd go straight down and land in the crawlspace (thereby also circumventing any alarm activity in the process), and that he'd then be able to ensure his escape out through the basement window later when he wanted to head home?
ETA: After blowing it up a bit more (also attaching below), it is a broom that is propping the board open at the window.
View attachment 227701

enlarged:
View attachment 227702

Good find! It is important to note that if this is a "crawl space" vs a basement, then there is no access to the main structure from this space. It would be odd for the homeowner to leave the crawl space access propped open like that because it would allow access for critters. However, since there was apparently not a chimney cap on the home either, I guess this was not a concern.

[QUOTE="v0x, post: 15746853, member: 50983"
Amateur sleuths were enraged at the pace of the investigation for the 14-year-old, who went missing Dec. 20. Some thought the return of investigators to the vacant Fulton Street home implied a tip. It was no tip, just investigators starting back at square one. Sadly, but at least solving the case, they found his body Jan. 13 in the chimney where it is believed he got stuck while trying to enter the house across the street from.............
QUOTE] From the link above (Toledo Blade)​
"The Blade has requested multiple interviews with the chief since the news conference, but he has not responded to those requests. A Blade reporter who visited the police station Friday was told the chief was not in the office and was not available." "The only openings were TWO flue vents on the second floor" "Outside the house where he was found, on Fulton Street, pink stuffed animals and bouquets of flowers decorated the porch" IMO, police chief Hickman is very evasive. What is he hiding, his incompetence? An investigation to a death needs to be THOROUGH and all evidence thoroughly investigated and analyzed. Hickman also appears to be a very vindictive person. He was responsible for arresting two women who were not part of the protest group. They only wanted to put an angel at the Fulton Street home along with other items left there. I am only allowed to post links to MSM or my posts will be deleted. If Hickman refuses to respond to MSM reporters, how can MSM report the news? JMHO

Amateur sleuths were enraged at the pace of the investigation for the 14-year-old, who went missing Dec. 20. Some thought the return of investigators to the vacant Fulton Street home implied a tip. It was no tip, just investigators starting back at square one. Sadly, but at least solving the case, they found his body Jan. 13 in the chimney where it is believed he got stuck while trying to enter the house across the street from.............
"The Blade has requested multiple interviews with the chief since the news conference, but he has not responded to those requests. A Blade reporter who visited the police station Friday was told the chief was not in the office and was not available." "The only openings were TWO flue vents on the second floor" "Outside the house where he was found, on Fulton Street, pink stuffed animals and bouquets of flowers decorated the porch" IMO, police chief Hickman is very evasive. What is he hiding, his incompetence? An investigation to a death needs to be THOROUGH and all evidence thoroughly investigated and analyzed. Hickman also appears to be a very vindictive person. He was responsible for arresting two women who were not part of the protest group. They only wanted to put an angel at the Fulton Street home along with other items left there. I am only allowed to post links to MSM or my posts will be deleted. If Hickman refuses to respond to MSM reporters, how can MSM report the news? JMHO
They were trespassing and it's probably illegal to target only the protesters when a crime is committed. The house is private property and nothing should be left on the house.

I agree the coat wouldn't have just fallen out. I just think that the "1/3rd" statement refers to the length of the chimney (floor to rooftop), not the distance to the flue opening. The opening should have been at least a few feet above the floor, I think, and could possibly have been much higher (members have posted images of flue openings very high up the wall). In that case, I believe Harley's feet could have reached far enough to push his coat out the opening, even while his torso was in the middle third of the overall chimney. MOO.
That make more sense if they were talking about the entire chimney and if the flue is located high on the floor and had no cover. If that's the case then I can see the glasses falling to the floor and him managing to get the coat through. Maybe his puffy coat isn't quite as "puffy" as the one I have, cause for some reason I'm thinking, balled up, it would be similar to a small pillow, if that makes sense.

I really don't understand the chiefs motives. He could release a statement saying they are still in the process of the investigation and waiting for test to come back and at that time they will release more information. But the staying completely silent isn't working and IMO he's hoping if he doesn't say anything people will go away. But they're not and I don't think people will stop with the questions and accusations until things are better explained. I know they don't owe the public an explanation, but you would think he would say something.

I wonder where the report that those 2 were arrested for simply putting teddy bears there came from. If it was from the people who were arrested or the people from the protest. Maybe I have too much faith in LE, but I find it hard to believe that with as much attention PCPD has on them right now that they would really arrest people were honestly doing no wrong at all. Or if these people that were arrested or their associates are just trying to stir the pot by SAYING they weren't doing anything wrong, but in all actuality were.

This whole case is a dumpster fire, I wish the grieving family members of Harley and the town of Port Clinton a whole could have some peace to heal. I hope questions get answers.

Edit because my brain works faster than my fingers :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Good find! It is important to note that if this is a "crawl space" vs a basement, then there is no access to the main structure from this space. It would be odd for the homeowner to leave the crawl space access propped open like that because it would allow access for critters. However, since there was apparently not a chimney cap on the home either, I guess this was not a concern.
I have seen homes with only crawlspaces as opposed to basements, which have access to the main part of the home. Crawlspaces can be used for storage and etc. Unless we know from someone that the house did not have access to it? Why would a non-accessible crawlspace have a window?

I have seen homes with only crawlspaces as opposed to basements, which have access to the main part of the home. Crawlspaces can be used for storage and etc. Unless we know from someone that the house did not have access to it? Why would a non-accessible crawlspace have a window?
I was wondering this too. From what I recall the homeowner said there wasn't access through the crawl space into the main part of the house. Every house I have ever lived in that had a crawlspace versus a basement had access to it somewhere in the house. Most had a removable panel in one of the rooms. Unless the house had and accessible crawlspace but maybe the owners has blocked/locked it so it couldn't be opened from under the house.

I've never lived in a house that had access to the crawlspace from inside the house. I'm assuming it's a regional thing. Access has always been from a location outside the house, and usually has a sheet of plywood over it. My current house has "vents" that somewhat look like small windows with a grate covering because it's on a floodplain and it would allow water to flow through.

For ventilation. You still need ventilation in a crawl space.

I was wondering this too. From what I recall the homeowner said there wasn't access through the crawl space into the main part of the house. Every house I have ever lived in that had a crawlspace versus a basement had access to it somewhere in the house. Most had a removable panel in one of the rooms. Unless the house had and accessible crawlspace but maybe the owners has blocked/locked it so it couldn't be opened from under the house.
I also owned a very old home like this one. There was no access to the home from the crawl space for any of the homes from that period on my street. They all also had some sort of ventilation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eagerhuntress