GUILTY MA - Conrad Roy, 18, urged by friend, commits suicide, Fairhaven, 13 July 2014 #2 *guilty*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see the Supreme Court has turned down her appeal. I'm pretty surprised, tbh. Imo it was pretty groundbreaking to convict someone for manslaughter for words. I thought for sure they would take it up.

Michelle Carter's Manslaughter Appeal Turned Down by Supreme Court
I agree. I know it makes people feel better to prosecute for things, But suicide is just that. Someone taking their own life. I think she is despicable person. But I still don't think people should be convicted for other people taking their own lives.

I agree. I know it makes people feel better to prosecute for things, But suicide is just that. Someone taking their own life. I think she is despicable person. But I still don't think people should be convicted for other people taking their own lives.

Under a "normal" suicide, then yes maybe there is a case for arguing that it was that person's decision to take their own life. But in this case the text messages clearly show that Conrad was having doubts about his decision and it was her response and her words to him that resulted in him being dead. So you can't say that she isn't to blame, there's clear evidence to show that without her interference, he may well still be alive

Tweet
Michelle Carter, the Massachusetts woman who was convicted of involuntary manslaughter for encouraging her boyfriend’s 2014 suicide, was released from prison on Thursday after serving 11 months of a 15-month sentence.

Under a "normal" suicide, then yes maybe there is a case for arguing that it was that person's decision to take their own life. But in this case the text messages clearly show that Conrad was having doubts about his decision and it was her response and her words to him that resulted in him being dead. So you can't say that she isn't to blame, there's clear evidence to show that without her interference, he may well still be alive

Conrad tried to kill himself four times before Michelle's involvement including just two months before he successfully did. There's no evidence that she told him to get back into the truck, she told one of her "friends" that two months after his death, she also told them at least 4 other versions not mentioning this.

Michelle reached out to Conrad's best friend Tom Gammell at least 5 times about his suicidal thoughts between 2012-2013. She asked Tom how he was doing after his first attempt and he said he was fine, Michelle said but he just texted me saying he is going to kill himself. She asked Tom to help him, i don't know what Tom did he didn't say at trial but whatever it was it didn't help as he was still talking about killing himself every day.

Conrad's mother wouldn't admit at trial he was ever suicidal. She said he had "a lack of sleep and social anxiety", she also referred to his first suicide attempt as "He was not feeling well", then when pressed as far as she would go is "he took some tylenol". Having a suicidal kid is one of the toughest things a parent could go through so i don't blame her but she was clearly in denial about his problems which couldn't have helped.

A doctor of Conrad's wanted him to go into an in-patient program for his suicidal thoughts, his mother said no. This was during the summer of 2013 (a time his mother tried to say he was fine during) long before Michelle was encouraging him to kill himself. What this shows is his mother was confronted with his problems several times yet she did little to help him she rejected help when it was offered, the point is even if Michelle told her it likely wouldn't have mattered. Again not attacking his mother, she likely just believed Conrad over the doctor like many parents would have done sadly.

Conrad stopped taking his medication at one point and self-medicated with weed, his mother admits this at trial. His mother kicked him out the house at one point for smoking weed.

Throughout the trial his mother makes out that Conrad wanted to see a Behavioural Therapist. The Defence Lawyer points out texts between Conrad and his mother that shows she is lying. From the texts it seems like he didn't want to see this person at all and it was his mothers idea. She is clearly denying it because she is arguing he was never suicidal he just had social anxiety and sleep problems. Conrad needed much more than that and i think her denial about the seriousness of his issues played a major part in his death. Conrad didn't tell her he was seeing a therapist in the months leading up to his death, she only found out after seeing it on insurance forms after his death in her own words. Why would he hide that from his mother? Probably because she rejected help for his suicidal thoughts when he was offered it. He claimed to Michelle his mother saw a suicide methods page opened on his computer and said nothing. Initially i dismissed that before seeing the trial, it sounds like she was in denial and i fully believe that happened. Long before she encouraged him to commit suicide Michelle talked to a therapist about a suicidal boyfriend (Conrad) who she didn't know how to interact with as he had no support system other than her. It's hard to disagree with that when you see everything.

What she did was awful, she deserves to be condemned morally but there's no way she deserved to be convicted when Conrad was extremely suicidal and the people around him (unlike Michelle who had only met him a few times) did next to nothing when informed multiple times. This is without even going into the motive about her "friends" which makes no sense since their relationships didn't change after Conrad's death. According to Lexi, Michelle actually asked them to hang out LESS after Conrad's death. And she definitely wasn't trying to help Michelle she was clearly annoyed to be there and said some brutal things about Michelle.

What she did was awful, she deserves to be condemned morally but there's no way she deserved to be convicted when Conrad was extremely suicidal and the people around him (unlike Michelle who had only met him a few times) did next to nothing when informed multiple times.

RSBM

I appreciate your opinion, but a trial found her culpable. All of the evidence was presented, and she was found guilty. A judge has denied her appeal. Sorry, but his mother wasn't on trial. You are correct, suicide is a terrible thing in young kids. Heck- suicide is a terrible terrible thing in all of society.

RSBM

I appreciate your opinion, but a trial found her culpable. All of the evidence was presented, and she was found guilty. A judge has denied her appeal. Sorry, but his mother wasn't on trial. You are correct, suicide is a terrible thing in young kids. Heck- suicide is a terrible terrible thing in all of society.

That judge felt she should serve at most a year with good behaviour, members here are talking about life. He sentenced her because of the "get back in the truck" comment, he said that himself yet there's no proof that actually happened. The Prosecution asked you to believe some of her comments without proof and disbelieve some without proof and that worked for some reason. She served her time so i don't really care, just hitting back against users who are overstating her role in his death.

She was tried, convicted and sentenced.The felon served the time given to to her. We may not agree with it but that’s the facts. With that I say this, there are issues in the felons family and with her in the way they all think and act. The felon has her life ahead of her and Karma will be with her through her lifetime. Karma is not always nice. I do not think this is the last we will hear of her.....JMOO.

She was tried, convicted and sentenced.The felon served the time given to to her. We may not agree with it but that’s the facts. With that I say this, there are issues in the felons family and with her in the way they all think and act. The felon has her life ahead of her and Karma will be with her through her lifetime. Karma is not always nice. I do not think this is the last we will hear of her.....JMOO.

Interesting that you didn't debate a word i said but instead resorted to anger. Michelle's family actually helped her she was immediately put in therapy for her eating disorder, Conrad would have benefited from that himself his mother actually rejected help for him. A doctor wanted to help him for his suicidal thoughts and she said no. Not just that but he actually hid his own attempts at getting help from his mother.

Tweet
Michelle Carter, the Massachusetts woman who was convicted of involuntary manslaughter for encouraging her boyfriend’s 2014 suicide, was released from prison on Thursday after serving 11 months of a 15-month sentence.

Eleven months... ELEVEN months...eleven MONTHS...

A disgrace. How long will it take her to find another sweet, trusting victim?
And Conrad's family will never see, hug, laugh with, talk with, or wrap a present for, him again.
Grrrrrr.

And Conrad's family will never see, hug, laugh with, talk with, or wrap a present for, him again.
Grrrrrr.

If you had a chance to watch "I love you, now die" the 11 months will really hurt your heart.

Also, if you revert back midway on this thread, it's pretty clear MC did not spend her time confined in any jail or what you'd think appropriate for the convicted. MOO

Last edited:
Nadal I was not talking to you...I was making my own statement. My goodness.

Doesn't matter if you were replying to me or not my point still stands. You attacked Michelle's family despite there not being any known reason to criticize them whatever you think of Michelle, when there's a tonne of red flags Conrad's family ignored including four prior suicide attempts, which Conrad wasn't allowed to get help for and had to secretly see a therapist for by his mothers own admission. I think attacking Michelle is fair enough but attacking her parents when the only thing we know about them is they got Michelle help immediately for her problem is not on.

If you had a chance to watch "I love you, now die" the 11 months will really hurt your heart.

Also, if you revert back midway on this thread, it's pretty clear MC did not spend her time confined in any jail or what you'd think appropriate for the convicted. MOO

I Love You Now Die omitted a tonne of things from the trial. At the very least i think you'd be able to understand the length of the sentence if you watched the trial, if it wasn't for the truck comment (which is questionable since the text/recording doesn't exist) the judge would've acquitted her and he would have been more than justified to do so. There's just too many instances of Michelle trying to convince him not to do it and contacting people in his life asking them to help him as well as his family ignoring his problems and even obstructing help to give her a substantive sentence.

Grrrrrr.

How long do you think she should have got out of interest? Think the prosecutor was asking for 12 years but it's been a while i don't remember. Having watched the trial i find the 15 month sentence is more than fair, she did something awful and deserved some type of punishment.

I think the prosecutor was very lucky to get a bench trial, she was incredibly aggressive i think a jury would have hated her just as an aside.

I Love You Now Die omitted a tonne of things from the trial. At the very least i think you'd be able to understand the length of the sentence if you watched the trial, if it wasn't for the truck comment (which is questionable since the text/recording doesn't exist) the judge would've acquitted her and he would have been more than justified to do so. There's just too many instances of Michelle trying to convince him not to do it and contacting people in his life asking them to help him as well as his family ignoring his problems and even obstructing help to give her a substantive sentence.

I think you are understating the amount of evidence against her. Do you have any idea how many times she asked him "Are you going to do it?" "When are you going to do it?" Here are just a few... Not all, just a few... She clearly pushed and pushed him. If you love someone, you don't push and push and push and push and push until they finally do the act.

Attachments

• Text 1.PNG
    Text 1.PNG
    249.8 KB · Views: 43
  • Text 2.PNG
    Text 2.PNG
    84.2 KB · Views: 46
  • text 4.PNG
    text 4.PNG
    303.7 KB · Views: 44
  • Text 3.jpg
    Text 3.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 40
I think you are understating the amount of evidence against her. Do you have any idea how many times she asked him "Are you going to do it?" "When are you going to do it?" Here are just a few... Not all, just a few... She clearly pushed and pushed him. If you love someone, you don't push and push and push and push and push until they finally do the act.

I watched the trial, there's plenty of evidence that she pushed him towards it but there's also plenty of evidence that she tried to convince him not to do it and contacted people in his life asking them to help him, his best friend at least five times for example she straight up argued with his best friend when he was trying to downplay one of his attempts.

There's also plenty of evidence that his family particularly his mother was told about his problems and had opportunities to help him. Conrad tried to kill himself four times before the successful time, after one of them his mother was advised to put him into therapy and she rejected it. Conrad was secretly seeing a therapist by her own admission, after his death his therapist bills turned up on her credit card. Conrad also claimed his mother saw a suicide methods website open on his computer and never said anything.

There's more than this but the point is Conrad was not only suicidal before Michelle but he had attempted suicide at least four times and Michelle had contacted his best friend about him at least five times asking him to help Conrad, not to mention texts from her trying to convince him not to do it. She was the only person trying to convince him to live before she turned and started trying to convince him.

First look at Elle Fanning as Michelle Carter in Hulu’s ‘The Girl from Plainville’ - The Boston Globe

Jan 21, 2022

The Girl from Plainville
is scheduled to premiere on Hulu this spring, and sees Fanning play Carter — the teenager who encouraged her boyfriend, Conrad Roy III, to end his life via a text message. The series is adapted from the 2017 Esquire article of the same title.

In 2017, Carter was convicted of involuntary manslaughter, following a lengthy trial which caught the attention of the world, given its unprecedented subject matter, questions surrounding mental health, free speech and definitions of crime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soababiotiling