Cell Phones and LISK

OMG. I just came accross the story of that guy from long island that tried to fake his death but was found out to be alive. R.R. are his initials not only that but his son describes him as an "Abusive Alcoholic" he lived in massapequa at some point and worked out of 1 penn plaza which i googled and is about 1 block from where i over heard the famous phone call I would love to see this person in life i think he in jail now? has anyone else thought about this guy?

Can you link the story?

Can you link the story?

Raymond Roth Sentenced For Faking Death, Impersonating Police

MINEOLA, N.Y. (CBSNewYork) — A Long Island man has been sentenced for faking his own drowning at Jones Beach in a life insurance scheme and for pretending to be a cop in an attempt to lure a woman in Nassau County.

Raymond Roth was sentenced to 2 and 1/3 years to 7 years in prison Thursday and ordered to pay more than $36,000 in restitution to the Coast Guard and Nassau County police.

“With today’s sentence, Mr. Roth will finally be held accountable for his utter disregard for the law and public safety,” Nassau County District Attorney Kathleen Rice said in a statement.

Roth told the judge that he was sorry for what he did and said his actions were due to a mixture of bi-polar medication and alcohol, 1010 WINS’ Mona Rivera reported.

“I wasn’t doing good mentally,” Roth said at his sentencing. “I had no intention of coming back to New York.”

On July 28, 2012, prosecutors said Roth was reported missing by his then 22-year-old son Jonathan Roth in a frantic 911 call, saying his father had disappeared in the waters off Jones Beach.

That 911 call triggered an intense air and water search that cost tens of thousands of dollars. While no one actually saw Raymond Roth swim away, the Massapequa man was initially presumed drowned.

Prosecutors said the father-son duo hatched the scheme to fake the elder Roth’s death in hopes of cashing in at least $410,000 in life insurance policies.

Prosecutors said the pair’s plan was for Jonathan Roth to try to file a claim on July 31.

The plot was discovered when prosecutors said Roth’s wife, Evana, stumbled on emails between father and son discussing details of the plan.

Authorities believe Raymond Roth first fled to Florida. He was later pulled over for speeding in South Carolina, before returning to New York to surrender.

Then in March of last year, hours after pleading guilty to conspiracy charges in the life insurance plot, Roth was arrested again for pretending to be a police officer and trying to lure a woman into his van in Freeport.

Prosecutors said he approached a woman and demanded she get into his vehicle or be arrested. When she refused, he followed her to a check cashing business and demanded employees open the locked security door, authorities said.

He was convicted in that case last month on criminal impersonation and attempted unlawful imprisonment charges, but was acquitted in a non-jury trial of attempted kidnapping.

Jonathan Roth pleaded guilty last year to falsely reporting an incident and was originally expected to receive no jail time, but lost the deal after jumping bail. He was sentenced to a year in prison last month.

The judge blasted Raymond Roth at his sentencing Thursday for enlisting the help of his son in the insurance scheme.

“Never in my life did I think I would be here,” Roth said. “I have a lot of fences to mend; my son is disgusted with me.”

But Roth’s attorney Brian Davis said father and son have been meeting at church groups in prison.

“They’re talking like father and son,” he said. “They’ve patched things up.”

MINEOLA, N.Y. (CBSNewYork) — A Long Island man has been sentenced for faking his own drowning at Jones Beach in a life insurance scheme and for pretending to be a cop in an attempt to lure a woman in Nassau County.

Raymond Roth was sentenced to 2 and 1/3 years to 7 years in prison Thursday and ordered to pay more than $36,000 in restitution to the Coast Guard and Nassau County police.

“With today’s sentence, Mr. Roth will finally be held accountable for his utter disregard for the law and public safety,” Nassau County District Attorney Kathleen Rice said in a statement.

Roth told the judge that he was sorry for what he did and said his actions were due to a mixture of bi-polar medication and alcohol, 1010 WINS’ Mona Rivera reported.

“I wasn’t doing good mentally,” Roth said at his sentencing. “I had no intention of coming back to New York.”

On July 28, 2012, prosecutors said Roth was reported missing by his then 22-year-old son Jonathan Roth in a frantic 911 call, saying his father had disappeared in the waters off Jones Beach.

That 911 call triggered an intense air and water search that cost tens of thousands of dollars. While no one actually saw Raymond Roth swim away, the Massapequa man was initially presumed drowned.

Prosecutors said the father-son duo hatched the scheme to fake the elder Roth’s death in hopes of cashing in at least $410,000 in life insurance policies.

Prosecutors said the pair’s plan was for Jonathan Roth to try to file a claim on July 31.

The plot was discovered when prosecutors said Roth’s wife, Evana, stumbled on emails between father and son discussing details of the plan.

Authorities believe Raymond Roth first fled to Florida. He was later pulled over for speeding in South Carolina, before returning to New York to surrender.

Then in March of last year, hours after pleading guilty to conspiracy charges in the life insurance plot, Roth was arrested again for pretending to be a police officer and trying to lure a woman into his van in Freeport.

Prosecutors said he approached a woman and demanded she get into his vehicle or be arrested. When she refused, he followed her to a check cashing business and demanded employees open the locked security door, authorities said.

He was convicted in that case last month on criminal impersonation and attempted unlawful imprisonment charges, but was acquitted in a non-jury trial of attempted kidnapping.

Jonathan Roth pleaded guilty last year to falsely reporting an incident and was originally expected to receive no jail time, but lost the deal after jumping bail. He was sentenced to a year in prison last month.

The judge blasted Raymond Roth at his sentencing Thursday for enlisting the help of his son in the insurance scheme.

“Never in my life did I think I would be here,” Roth said. “I have a lot of fences to mend; my son is disgusted with me.”

But Roth’s attorney Brian Davis said father and son have been meeting at church groups in prison.

“They’re talking like father and son,” he said. “They’ve patched things up.”

So many paralles Hes from Massapequa. He has a previous employment address that is like 2 blocks from where I saw that phone call. he suffers from Bi-polar & has trouble with alcohol, didnt the sister say he called drunk? Now he was caught tryingto take a woman off the streets preteding to be A cop!?!?!? And why did this guy feel the need to fake his death in the first place???

So many paralles Hes from Massapequa. He has a previous employment address that is like 2 blocks from where I saw that phone call. he suffers from Bi-polar & has trouble with alcohol, didnt the sister say he called drunk? Now he was caught tryingto take a woman off the streets preteding to be A cop!?!?!? And why did this guy feel the need to fake his death in the first place???

Yeah, this guy has several levels to his story that is suspect, but so are a lot of others in NY.

NY seems to breed these men for whatever reason.....the part of him trying to lure the woman into his van by immitating a cop is intriguing.

He goes from trying to fake his own death to trying to lure a woman inside his van......like what were his intentions with that woman?

And for him to chase her down & knock on a security door trying to get to her is crazy......spells he's out of control.

Have you seen his picture in the link? Does he resemble the guy you said you saw years ago?

Yeah, this guy has several levels to his story that is suspect, but so are a lot of others in NY.

NY seems to breed these men for whatever reason.....the part of him trying to lure the woman into his van by immitating a cop is intriguing.

He goes from trying to fake his own death to trying to lure a woman inside his van......like what were his intentions with that woman?

And for him to chase her down & knock on a security door trying to get to her is crazy......spells he's out of control.

Have you seen his picture in the link? Does he resemble the guy you said you saw years ago?

It was so many years ago I dont think I can ever say with out a shout of a doubt that is him. I can say he fits the general things I do remember, He is caucasian, About the right build & age.

It was so many years ago I dont think I can ever say with out a shout of a doubt that is him. I can say he fits the general things I do remember, He is caucasian, About the right build & age.

What's also interesting is he was a telecommunications manager, which if I'm not mistaken, he would know how to set up.a VPN on his computer.

This could all be a coincidence......the LISK case wreaks of coincidences for quite a few potential point of interests/suspects.

Who's to say the detectives haven't spoken to LISK not knowing who he really is......or maybe he's not in anyone's radar

If LISK is smart like everyone seems to think...this guy isn't him.

If LISK is smart like everyone seems to think...this guy isn't him.

I concur, but sometimes these killers tend to go on a downward spiral before getting caught.

There have been other serial killers that haven't been caught, & yes, imo, serial killers can stop killing after they've gotten tired of it, or gotten older, etc........perfect example is the Golden St Killer, that guy was meticulous & OCD on every victim, & he thought of everything except for DNA in his semen that would one day define who he was & get him caught.

LISK on the other hand doesn't leave any DNA that we the public know about.

This case could have been solved early on, but the feds weren't allowed in.......it may be too.late now unless the killer confesses (unlikely), if the feds do have his DNA, then a genealogy test will catch him, or he strikes again.

New to Websleuths as a contributor, I've read this forum for years and decided to make an account and join the discussion.

I've read a fair amount into this case, so please forgive me if this question was asked. I am curious as to what was done with the GB4's Cell Phones/Call Logs?

I understand LISK uses a burner phone, each of the victims absolutely communicated with him, Melissa & Maureens loved ones received calls from him (I'm still perplexed as to why their loved ones phone numbers were stored in the same phone they use for work)

Amber & Megan both left their phones at home & the hotel respectively. With this knowledge, it should be known to Law Enforcement what phone number each girl used to communicate with LISK. Couldn't they subpoena the cell carriers records and identify the number LISK used to contact them? Did he use a single burner phone for each victim or was it the same phone each time?

This could be valuable information - I am not privy to how long data is kept on burner phones but if they were able to ID his number and somehow get records of who else he contacted , they could compare those numbers to any archived ads from backpage or numbers associated with known working girls (possibly any who were arrested). If they were able to ID a girl he was in contact with and interview them, we would be able to get more details ...

Of course, the other thing they could with his number, which has been mentioned plenty is to determine where the phone was purchased. It just seems like in todays digital age, they should go as deep as possible to try and determine the place of purchase at the very least. Unfortunately, I'm aware that this should have been done in 2011 and that nearly a decade later, it maybe very difficult to connect the aforementioned dots.

some thoughts
sticking with the GB4 on this

seems more than likely all 4 were identified online based on the fact that most were out of state, recently moved or were in transition. possible to argue against, but it is more than likely this is how they were identified. thus, LISK has a computer. More importantly he also knows about attribution. Police were not able to link any suspects through this internet usage, despite their attempts. (Didn't they confiscate someone's computer/laptop for this purpose)? He more than likely cased Craigslist or back page, perhaps through VPN even, found someone he like and took down their phone number. he then called from a burner away from his location of residence. every fishing attempt could not have been successful. those interested or desperate he groomed over the phone via multiple calls (see Costello).

he used burner phones. again, no attribution on these despite police attempts to investigate. these burner numbers were easily identifiable through phone records and using them at any time left a trace (date, time, location). IMEI records would lead back to when/where the phone was purchased, which means LISK purchased in cash and likely in some disguise to account for cameras. I feel quite certain the police have already followed this line of investigation. would also venture to guess he never turned them on at or near his home, otherwise police would have been able to zero in on his location using basic correlation. one victim, one phone. what about those he contacted that didn't agree to his terms? re-use that same phone or ditch it? I would guess he ditched it.

he paid attention to cameras and/or positioned himself out of line-of-sight of possible witnesses. Possible he cased each initial contact location using online maps and then in person. the hotel on LI, for example, is right off a major thoroughfare with easy ingress/egress. these parameters are easily searchable online, even 15yrs ago. his ability to remain out of camera angle at contact-point, however, shows his knowledge of their existence. At the house in Babylon, again he knew right where to park. Not necessary to be local to do this. its simple internet & street casing. he was deliberate and this takes time & preparation.

his use (and non-use) of victims phones. picking high traffic and/or remote areas when using these, such as Times Square & Fire Island. This points to intentional obfuscation and non-attribution. Just like Times Square, the Fire Island ping was something he needed or wanted to do, but was carried out in such a way as to point away from him. wondering what he did with those victims who brought along their phones. Did he ask them to turn it off? He had to have at some point, otherwise this would have revealed his victim's location based off tower pings, right? Melissa seems like the only one who we know for certain did this. Megan & Amber left theirs behind and Maureen told her friends she was robbed, although she was still able to make calls and had enough money to go home.

Did these girls know him or had they met him multiple times before? Doubtful. Any contact with a potential victim increase the chances of being caught. It doesn't seem like he likes to take chances like that. If he did meet any of these girls more than once, he'd have to manage the phone-attribution situation multiple times, requesting they leave it behind or having them turn it off & take the battery out. Asking someone to do that is super weird and if you let them go, they will definitely talk about it. In Maureen's case, there is a higher interest in her 'regular' contacts due to her Craigslist page being blocked. These 'regulars,' however, were almost certainly interviewed by police.

the dump site. when you look online, it's the only section of road on jones beach island that has a long and sizeable section of center median. meaning at night even on-coming traffic would not really be able to see. if you're looking to dump a body, this location would seem like a place to go & investigate. find it online, case it in-person later. like everything else he's done, I would venture to guess that this location was identified in such a way as to point away from him or at least not point back to him. Point being, you don't have to be from LI to have identified Gilgo as a good dumping ground. Also, why dump multiple bodies so close to where someone just went missing, for example? Even if the dump site was selected & used pre-Gilbert, he still dumped 2 bodies there after that case broke. He was either confident in their concealment or put them there knowing they might be found. Gilbert has certainly inserted much confusion into this case, I think everyone would agree.

so how to find him? phone data aggregation and perhaps web address IP logs? cross referencing these might reveal a known phone usage corresponding to webpage access. he visits a page, then activates a phone around the same time. a big stretch, I think, and totally moot if he used a vpn. and besides, only way to do this would be if police still have access to the historical data (I understand they might). or maybe mapping all known burner usage to identify geo location trends? maybe he did get lazy and call from near his house on multiple occasions.
we know he has a car, has a computer, has extra money to buy phones, appears more tech savvy than the average Joe, especially for the late 2000's, has some time on his hands AND local to the NYC/Long Island area (for summers at least). AND maybe he has the initials HM or WH or whatever. Pick-ups were in Manhattan, Bronx and LI, with a dump site on the beach. his ability to avoid detection while using electronics shows he knows a lot about police investigative methods. either experience in or a huge fan of police/military or other law enforcement, etc. there is much to complain about in the police, however, I think it's important to realize & understand the degree to which this guy is organized and diabolical.

some thoughts
sticking with the GB4 on this

seems more than likely all 4 were identified online based on the fact that most were out of state, recently moved or were in transition. possible to argue against, but it is more than likely this is how they were identified. thus, LISK has a computer. More importantly he also knows about attribution. Police were not able to link any suspects through this internet usage, despite their attempts. (Didn't they confiscate someone's computer/laptop for this purpose)? He more than likely cased Craigslist or back page, perhaps through VPN even, found someone he like and took down their phone number. he then called from a burner away from his location of residence. every fishing attempt could not have been successful. those interested or desperate he groomed over the phone via multiple calls (see Costello).

he used burner phones. again, no attribution on these despite police attempts to investigate. these burner numbers were easily identifiable through phone records and using them at any time left a trace (date, time, location). IMEI records would lead back to when/where the phone was purchased, which means LISK purchased in cash and likely in some disguise to account for cameras. I feel quite certain the police have already followed this line of investigation. would also venture to guess he never turned them on at or near his home, otherwise police would have been able to zero in on his location using basic correlation. one victim, one phone. what about those he contacted that didn't agree to his terms? re-use that same phone or ditch it? I would guess he ditched it.

he paid attention to cameras and/or positioned himself out of line-of-sight of possible witnesses. Possible he cased each initial contact location using online maps and then in person. the hotel on LI, for example, is right off a major thoroughfare with easy ingress/egress. these parameters are easily searchable online, even 15yrs ago. his ability to remain out of camera angle at contact-point, however, shows his knowledge of their existence. At the house in Babylon, again he knew right where to park. Not necessary to be local to do this. its simple internet & street casing. he was deliberate and this takes time & preparation.

his use (and non-use) of victims phones. picking high traffic and/or remote areas when using these, such as Times Square & Fire Island. This points to intentional obfuscation and non-attribution. Just like Times Square, the Fire Island ping was something he needed or wanted to do, but was carried out in such a way as to point away from him. wondering what he did with those victims who brought along their phones. Did he ask them to turn it off? He had to have at some point, otherwise this would have revealed his victim's location based off tower pings, right? Melissa seems like the only one who we know for certain did this. Megan & Amber left theirs behind and Maureen told her friends she was robbed, although she was still able to make calls and had enough money to go home.

Did these girls know him or had they met him multiple times before? Doubtful. Any contact with a potential victim increase the chances of being caught. It doesn't seem like he likes to take chances like that. If he did meet any of these girls more than once, he'd have to manage the phone-attribution situation multiple times, requesting they leave it behind or having them turn it off & take the battery out. Asking someone to do that is super weird and if you let them go, they will definitely talk about it. In Maureen's case, there is a higher interest in her 'regular' contacts due to her Craigslist page being blocked. These 'regulars,' however, were almost certainly interviewed by police.

the dump site. when you look online, it's the only section of road on jones beach island that has a long and sizeable section of center median. meaning at night even on-coming traffic would not really be able to see. if you're looking to dump a body, this location would seem like a place to go & investigate. find it online, case it in-person later. like everything else he's done, I would venture to guess that this location was identified in such a way as to point away from him or at least not point back to him. Point being, you don't have to be from LI to have identified Gilgo as a good dumping ground. Also, why dump multiple bodies so close to where someone just went missing, for example? Even if the dump site was selected & used pre-Gilbert, he still dumped 2 bodies there after that case broke. He was either confident in their concealment or put them there knowing they might be found. Gilbert has certainly inserted much confusion into this case, I think everyone would agree.

so how to find him? phone data aggregation and perhaps web address IP logs? cross referencing these might reveal a known phone usage corresponding to webpage access. he visits a page, then activates a phone around the same time. a big stretch, I think, and totally moot if he used a vpn. and besides, only way to do this would be if police still have access to the historical data (I understand they might). or maybe mapping all known burner usage to identify geo location trends? maybe he did get lazy and call from near his house on multiple occasions.
we know he has a car, has a computer, has extra money to buy phones, appears more tech savvy than the average Joe, especially for the late 2000's, has some time on his hands AND local to the NYC/Long Island area (for summers at least). AND maybe he has the initials HM or WH or whatever. Pick-ups were in Manhattan, Bronx and LI, with a dump site on the beach. his ability to avoid detection while using electronics shows he knows a lot about police investigative methods. either experience in or a huge fan of police/military or other law enforcement, etc. there is much to complain about in the police, however, I think it's important to realize & understand the degree to which this guy is organized and diabolical.

This was well written, & much thought was put into it.

It makes you wonder why LISK would dump the bodies of Megan & Amber after Shannan had gone missing on May 1, 2010 on Oak Beach......Megan went missing after leaving Holiday Inn Express in June of 2010, a month after Shannans disappearance. Then Amber disappears in Sept of 2010, & both are dumped at Gilgo in burlap sacks like the previous two GB4.....LISK has nerves of steel.

LISK definitely feels confident & knows Gilgo/OAk Beach like the back of his hand.

I concur, but sometimes these killers tend to go on a downward spiral before getting caught.

There have been other serial killers that haven't been caught, & yes, imo, serial killers can stop killing after they've gotten tired of it, or gotten older, etc........perfect example is the Golden St Killer, that guy was meticulous & OCD on every victim, & he thought of everything except for DNA in his semen that would one day define who he was & get him caught.

LISK on the other hand doesn't leave any DNA that we the public know about.

This case could have been solved early on, but the feds weren't allowed in.......it may be too.late now unless the killer confesses (unlikely), if the feds do have his DNA, then a genealogy test will catch him, or he strikes again.
Curious to know if DNA was left on the items found with Peaches?
Has modern technology been used to collect DNA?

With the release of the surveillance tapes we see unlike the initial report given states Megan left with her purse/bag and can infer she also had her phone with her
I believe everyone had their phones with them.
Megan's mom said someone kept calling her job. Coworker took the calls.
The caller wanted her home #.
He said he was a NYC cop.
Lorraine said NYC was never on her daughter's case. She said Suffolk Co detectives had her phone number.
She said her work number was in Megan's phone.
She reported this to Suffolk Co. detectives.
Cops never told Lorraine what Megan may have taken or left behind in the room.
Then you have Amber.
Bear called Amber on her phone.
He said it went to voicemail.
Then he called Dave.
Dave said she was on an out call.
Dave did not tell Bear Ambers phone was left behind. Why? Because it wasn't.
Remember rumor was she used Dave's phone for business.? I think the killer has her phone and cops wanted to keep that close to the vest.

I knew It!!! The Mo Fo was from massapequa and he resemble the roth guy!! the cell phone pinned A block from where I saw the call take place!! They got the SOB!!! I hope they bang him out in jail he gonna spend the rest of his days Alone on 23 hour lock down cause the other inmates will eat him up and I heard he was crying like a lil when they booked him!!! LMFPRAO!

I knew It!!! The Mo Fo was from massapequa and he resemble the roth guy!! the cell phone pinned A block from where I saw the call take place!! They got the SOB!!! I hope they bang him out in jail he gonna spend the rest of his days Alone on 23 hour lock down cause the other inmates will eat him up and I heard he was crying like a lil when they booked him!!! LMFPRAO!
Maybe it is standard operating procedure for inmates accused of violent crimes to be placed on suicide watch but this creep is on suicide watch. The Sheriff has not disclosed the specific jail that houses RH.

https://nypost.com/2023/07/18/gilgo-beach-murder-suspect-rex-heuermann-on-suicide-watch-in-jail/

Heuermann, 59, of Massapequa Park, was placed on suicide watch while in custody at the Suffolk County Correctional Facility, a Suffolk County Sheriff’s Office spokesperson Victoria DiStefano told the Patch on Monday.

Heuerman is “being evaluated by the county’s mental health staff who generally make the determination to place an inmate on suicide watch,” DiStefano clarified.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DazzelleShafer
Back