TX - Elizabeth Barraza, 29, murdered setting up garage sale, Harris County, Jan 2019 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
It isn't HPD that is investigating this case, it's the Harris County Sheriff, just so you all know, because this happened in that jurisdiction. I agree that it feels wrong that this case has not been solved yet and I too have been wondering if they simply did not put the resources into this that would have solved the case by now. I don't mean any criticism of the detectives though. I get the impression that the investigators on this case want very much to solve it. But still nothing. No updates since August when they said they were "waiting on the results of a warrant."

It isn't HPD that is investigating this case, it's the Harris County Sheriff, just so you all know, because this happened in that jurisdiction. I agree that it feels wrong that this case has not been solved yet and I too have been wondering if they simply did not put the resources into this that would have solved the case by now. I don't mean any criticism of the detectives though. I get the impression that the investigators on this case want very much to solve it. But still nothing. No updates since August when they said they were "waiting on the results of a warrant."

The detective did say he’s bringing in the TX Rangers to assist with the case, hopefully they can help solve this soon.

The detective did say he’s bringing in the TX Rangers to assist with the case, hopefully they can help solve this soon.
IIRC, they have been involved for a while now. Seeing that video of the memorial gathering and what the detecctive said makes me more hopeful because he looks like he knows who is responsible.

"Results of a warrant" has been what they've said so I wonder if that means the warrant has been served/executed yet, because how long would it take to go over the evidence - not 5 months, I would think? Maybe they are trying to locate the suspect? Just guessing here.

Sometimes they wait awhile for warrant results for someone's social media---like their private messages or their DM's or maybe their emails or their text logs?
I think they are waiting for a tower dump or deciphering of the IMEI codes to see who was in the area both days and doesn't also live there. It has to be a sweep of digital data. I can't imagine what other kind a warrant would take so long in a murder case.

If Sergio were involved, whether directly or indirectly, the police should have been able to connect the dots by now, IMO. He and Liz’s parents have no clue who did this, so I think it rules out the Star Wars group. Surely if Liz knew of something bad going on within the SW group, Sergio would have had some idea/lead to give to the cops, since they’re married and they would have talked about those kinds of things, as couples with similar interests do. This must have been something SHE was involved in only, whether a secret affair, or work related. Not to attack her character with an affair accusation, from the news she seems like such a good person, I just feel like over time, from what we know, certain scenarios can be ruled out, and other things come to the forefront. The killing just seems so personal, and it has to come from a personal motive. From what we’ve seen and read in the news, seems like they had a strong marriage. With that being said, I just keep going back to it being work related. <modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
I think they are waiting for a tower dump or deciphering of the IMEI codes to see who was in the area both days and doesn't also live there. It has to be a sweep of digital data. I can't imagine what other kind a warrant would take so long in a murder case.

I wonder if the killer knew of this possibility that the cops could eventually track him/her by phone pinging, and they didn’t bring a phone with them when they killed Liz?

I wonder if the killer knew of this possibility that the cops could eventually track him/her by phone pinging, and they didn’t bring a phone with them when they killed Liz?

That may be, but I bet he/she had their phone with them on the drive by the night before. The video camera would have recorded the time the murderer drove into the area for the drive by. They can narrow it down with the time.

If Sergio were involved, whether directly or indirectly, the police should have been able to connect the dots by now, IMO. He and Liz’s parents have no clue who did this, so I think it rules out the Star Wars group. Surely if Liz knew of something bad going on within the SW group, Sergio would have had some idea/lead to give to the cops, since they’re married and they would have talked about those kinds of things, as couples with similar interests do. This must have been something SHE was involved in only, whether a secret affair, or work related. Not to attack her character with an affair accusation, from the news she seems like such a good person, I just feel like over time, from what we know, certain scenarios can be ruled out, and other things come to the forefront. The killing just seems so personal, and it has to come from a personal motive. From what we’ve seen and read in the news, seems like they had a strong marriage. With that being said, I just keep going back to it being work related. <modsnip>

It could be someone who is obsessed with the husband for some reason. He may not even know the person feels that way.

Could be someone obsessed with Elizabeth -- "If I can't have her, nobody can," type thing.
Or obsessed with him, as has been discussed, and the person wanted to remove the one thing that was in the way, i.e., Elizabeth.
Either way, surely someone noticed something, and finally discussed it with LE, etc.

Could be someone obsessed with Elizabeth -- "If I can't have her, nobody can," type thing.
Or obsessed with him, as has been discussed, and the person wanted to remove the one thing that was in the way, i.e., Elizabeth.
Either way, surely someone noticed something, and finally discussed it with LE, etc.

You know, I was thinking along those lines too. But I was thinking that this could be a grudge collector. Maybe someone thought that Elizabeth "stole" a boyfriend from her at one time. Or that Sergio stole some guy's girlfriend at one point, and the way to get back at him is to kill his wife. People sometimes have strange motives, and hold onto those grudges with hate for years.

You know, I was thinking along those lines too. But I was thinking that this could be a grudge collector. Maybe someone thought that Elizabeth "stole" a boyfriend from her at one time. Or that Sergio stole some guy's girlfriend at one point, and the way to get back at him is to kill his wife. People sometimes have strange motives, and hold onto those grudges with hate for years.
From the start, I thought this was a jealous woman, angry for some connection Elizabeth had to her man. But, if that were the case, it seems like they would have a suspect by now. I’m almost convinced that the shooter thought she was someone else

From the start, I thought this was a jealous woman, angry for some connection Elizabeth had to her man. But, if that were the case, it seems like they would have a suspect by now. I’m almost convinced that the shooter thought she was someone else

I'm in the same boat, but I'll add. LE may have a suspect and that suspect very well may have a connection that's personal but LE just doesn't have enough evidence to make a charge. That might be why recent warrants were exciting for the investigation and they are still asking for tips or witnesses. They may lack a murder weapon, positive ID and/or the suspect may have an alibi where friends/family is vouching for them. Until that piece of evidence comes in can they really press charges?

or -- there is no connection between the suspect and the victim at all - in which case the video and the description of the vehicle and suspect are the only clues we know of.

My opinion only.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members