Coronavirus - Global Health Emergency, 2019-nCoV #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Japan cruise ship coronavirus quarantine: Scared, angry passengers are trapped in Asia amid outbreak - CNN

American couple Kent and Rebecca Frasure found themselves quarantined on a cruise ship, staring at ambulances lined up on land ready to receive the increasing toll of passengers diagnosed with a deadly virus.

On Friday morning, Rebecca, 35, found out she had tested positive for Wuhan coronavirus and had to leave the ship immediately -- alone, as her husband Kent, 42, was still apparently uninfected.

Her only symptom when she tested positive was a cough.

After Rebecca was diagnosed, Kent says no one came to disinfect the room the couple shared. He believes it is only a matter of time before he is diagnosed with the virus, too.

Information from the cruise staff has been scant and he only found out that a further 41 passengers had been diagnosed with the virus after talking to a reporter.

___

American author Gay Courter is also among the more than 2,600 passengers trapped on board the Diamond Princess, which she described as a "contaminated prison."

"(My husband Philip and I) are 75 and 77 years old, we have health risks and we are a bad category to get sick ... We are not safe in our rooms," she said.

In an attempt to escape the infection, Courter said she had contacted her insurance company, Medjet, which is willing to send a crisis extraction team from the boat to evacuate her. The US and Japanese governments, however, won't allow that to happen. Japanese health officials said that any passengers of the Diamond Princess had to go through the quarantine process before they were allowed onto land and that the process was ongoing.

China scientists identify pangolin as possible coronavirus host

The deadly coronavirus outbreak in China could have spread from bats to humans through the illegal traffic of pangolins, the world’s only scaly mammals, which are prized in Asia for food and medicine, Chinese researchers said.

The pangolin is one of Asia’s most trafficked mammals, although protected by international law, because its meat is considered a delicacy in countries such as China and its scales are used in traditional medicine, the World Wildlife Fund says.

“This latest discovery will be of great significance for the prevention and control of the origin (of the virus),” South China Agricultural University, which led the research.

The outbreak, which has killed 636 people in mainland China, is believed to have started in a market in the city of Wuhan, in central Hubei province that also sold live wild animals.

But Dirk Pfeiffer, professor of veterinary medicine at Hong Kong’s City University, cautioned that the study was still a long way from proving pangolins had transmitted the virus.

“You can only draw more definitive conclusions if you compare prevalence (of the coronavirus) between different species based on representative samples, which these almost certainly are not,” he said.

Even then, a link to humans via food markets still needs to be established, Pfeiffer added.

China scientists identify pangolin as possible coronavirus host

The deadly coronavirus outbreak in China could have spread from bats to humans through the illegal traffic of pangolins, the world’s only scaly mammals, which are prized in Asia for food and medicine, Chinese researchers said.

The pangolin is one of Asia’s most trafficked mammals, although protected by international law, because its meat is considered a delicacy in countries such as China and its scales are used in traditional medicine, the World Wildlife Fund says.

“This latest discovery will be of great significance for the prevention and control of the origin (of the virus),” South China Agricultural University, which led the research.

The outbreak, which has killed 636 people in mainland China, is believed to have started in a market in the city of Wuhan, in central Hubei province that also sold live wild animals.

But Dirk Pfeiffer, professor of veterinary medicine at Hong Kong’s City University, cautioned that the study was still a long way from proving pangolins had transmitted the virus.

“You can only draw more definitive conclusions if you compare prevalence (of the coronavirus) between different species based on representative samples, which these almost certainly are not,” he said.

Even then, a link to humans via food markets still needs to be established, Pfeiffer added.

Never heard of a pangolin... google is my friend
pangolin.JPG
Source: Thethirdpole.net

It’s funny you mention this as we had this discussion at work a few days ago. I am not a huge fan of Chinese food anyway and I do tend to over react so I had not mentioned anything but in my head I had already decided I wouldn’t go near any Chinese food for the foreseeable future. Then at work it came up in discussion when people were saying “ I can’t be the only one who now won’t eat Chinese food” and I had to laugh and say “ OMG “ me too but I thought i would be alone in that thinking. But everybody was saying the same that they won’t eat any Chinese food or go near their restaurants until this is all over.

So seeing this just shows human nature and the fact people are scared and are over thinking things at the moment as it is a over reaction but fear at the moment is winning for a lot of people.
MOO
IMO
This makes me feel awful. I have a local Chinese restaurant that I go to or order from several times a month. I have not done so ever since this virus situation hit the news. My husband and sister are adamant about avoiding it since the owners and workers are all from China. I have severe asthma which makes me anxious about catching anything. However, I feel for this local business and it’s owners/workers who are such nice people. Is it ridiculous to avoid this place? I am torn

Japan cruise ship coronavirus quarantine: Scared, angry passengers are trapped in Asia amid outbreak - CNN

American couple Kent and Rebecca Frasure found themselves quarantined on a cruise ship, staring at ambulances lined up on land ready to receive the increasing toll of passengers diagnosed with a deadly virus.

On Friday morning, Rebecca, 35, found out she had tested positive for Wuhan coronavirus and had to leave the ship immediately -- alone, as her husband Kent, 42, was still apparently uninfected.

Her only symptom when she tested positive was a cough.

After Rebecca was diagnosed, Kent says no one came to disinfect the room the couple shared. He believes it is only a matter of time before he is diagnosed with the virus, too.

Information from the cruise staff has been scant and he only found out that a further 41 passengers had been diagnosed with the virus after talking to a reporter.

___

American author Gay Courter is also among the more than 2,600 passengers trapped on board the Diamond Princess, which she described as a "contaminated prison."

"(My husband Philip and I) are 75 and 77 years old, we have health risks and we are a bad category to get sick ... We are not safe in our rooms," she said.

In an attempt to escape the infection, Courter said she had contacted her insurance company, Medjet, which is willing to send a crisis extraction team from the boat to evacuate her. The US and Japanese governments, however, won't allow that to happen. Japanese health officials said that any passengers of the Diamond Princess had to go through the quarantine process before they were allowed onto land and that the process was ongoing.

This is interesting about the cruise ship. I have been watching issues with cruise ships, one that had to be evacuated due to a crash, a rampant food poisoning/norovirus on another, now, this quarantine. Yet another reason why I just have decided to not go on cruises.

another Coronavirus hospital being built in China:

Beijing Braces For Coronavirus Cases As Lunar Holiday Ends

To prepare for the potential uptick in coronavirus cases, Beijing is increasing its capacity to treat patients. On the northern outskirts of the city, hundreds of hastily assembled construction workers are expanding Xiaotangshan, a temporary treatment center for SARS victims built in 2003.

"It is going to have 1,000 beds. It should take about seven to eight days. Our boss didn't even tell us how much we're being paid, but we will figure that out later," said a construction supervisor with the last name Xu. He did not provide a full name because he said he was not authorized to talk to foreign media.

Xu was relaxing at home in Baoding nearly two weeks ago, a city about half an hour away from Beijing by high-speed rail, when he got a call to assemble 150 workers for a new project in the capital. He left that same day. "Someone has to build this treatment center," he told NPR.

beijingtrain-5_custom-f0fc47b75893643125f973099a586d289030dc9b-s2500-c85.jpg

Some who are returning to Beijing have found it difficult to reenter the city. Most apartment complexes now require occupants to register their recent travel history. Public places such as shopping malls and office buildings as well as subway stations require all patrons to have their temperature checked and to wear a face mask.

Beijing officials have repeatedly said people traveling back to the city with no feverish symptoms must be allowed to return to their homes even if they had traveled beyond municipal limits. But communities intent on keeping the coronavirus out are going ahead with a variety of voluntary, sometimes unofficial, measures aimed at returnees.

Shi, a logistics worker who works in package delivery, could not enter his apartment after returning to Beijing from his hometown in Shanxi province. Shi said his "supervisor pushed" him to come back to work, so he took a train to the city on Sunday.

"At first my Beijing landlord did not want to let me live in my apartment until my boss intervened -- but it is not like I am coming back from [Wuhan], the outbreak quarantine zone," he said. Shi was eventually let back into his own apartment.

Last edited:
Last edited:
This makes me feel awful. I have a local Chinese restaurant that I go to or order from several times a month. I have not done so ever since this virus situation hit the news. My husband and sister are adamant about avoiding it since the owners and workers are all from China. I have severe asthma which makes me anxious about catching anything. However, I feel for this local business and it’s owners/workers who are such nice people. Is it ridiculous to avoid this place? I am torn

I am definitely not avoiding Chinese food, we went to Panda Express the other night for dinner. :)

I am not worried about this virus here in the United States. For one thing, medical experts are already on top of this situation here. I don't see it becoming an epidemic here.

Xi tells U.S. to respond in 'reasonable way'

In a phone call with President Donald Trump, President Xi Jinping urged the U.S. to have a measured response to the virus outbreak.

Xi said he hoped the two countries could maintain communication and work together to work together to contain the epidemic.

Xi also said the long-term trend of China's economic development will not change.

The White House deputy press secretary tweeted on Friday that Trump expressed confidence in China's resilience in confronting the epidemic during the phone call.

China had previously accused the U.S. of scaremongering over the epidemic.

Coronavirus updates: 8 more Americans diagnosed on Japan cruise ship

American evacuees leave Wuhan for U.S.

Two chartered flights left Wuhan on Thursday night with around 300 passengers. One of the flights will land at Travis Air Force Base in California for refueling before continuing to Omaha, Nebraska. The other will go to Marine Corps Air Station Miramar in San Diego, California.

A total of 540 American citizens and family members have already been evacuated and are under federal quarantine on three military bases in California: March Air Reserve Base, the Marine Corps Air Station Miramar and Travis Air Force Base.

I am definitely not avoiding Chinese food, we went to Panda Express the other night for dinner. :)

I am not worried about this virus here in the United States. For one thing, medical experts are already on top of this situation here. I don't see it becoming an epidemic here.

I went out to dinner Wednesday night at a local Asian/Chinese restaurant near me with a neighbor and I usually go once or twice a month. The virus is not in my city/state, yet I had a neighbor couple who returned from China on the 20th of January and underwent self isolation. (14 days is over, all is well)

I didn't even think about or consider the outbreak when we were at dinner although I seem to live and breathe it all day here, even though we were sitting in the Chinese restaurant. I will make a point to go next week to give them business as I would hate to see their profits lack due to folks avoiding them due to the outbreak. MOO

@margarita25 , are you still binge watching/gone down the rabbit hole and cannot get back out? ;)

Last edited:
American evacuees leave Wuhan for U.S.

Two chartered flights left Wuhan on Thursday night with around 300 passengers. One of the flights will land at Travis Air Force Base in California for refueling before continuing to Omaha, Nebraska. The other will go to Marine Corps Air Station Miramar in San Diego, California.

A total of 540 American citizens and family members have already been evacuated and are under federal quarantine on three military bases in California: March Air Reserve Base, the Marine Corps Air Station Miramar and Travis Air Force Base.

Omaha Nebraska you say. Hmmm, perhaps all the evacuees will do a group message to Warren and ask him to match Bill's contribution? :rolleyes:

(Warren Buffett lives in Omaha, and Bill Gates who has given $100 million to the cause for our non US posters)

Last edited:
Yea me just wondering about cruise liners (oh and other close living quarters).

But what is the ventilation system like on cruise liners? Is it possible for the airborne virus to travel through the vents?

I cannot fathom being isolated like these passengers are. :(
(Oh and thanks for the likes on the icon)

Attachments

• AA84BAE5-D5B6-49B7-9615-50BCEFB764E5.jpeg
    AA84BAE5-D5B6-49B7-9615-50BCEFB764E5.jpeg
    45 KB · Views: 6

I don’t know that Panda Express can be classified as a Chinese restaurant. Our Panda Express locations are staffed by American teenagers.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/coronavirus-cruise-ship-canadians-1.5455493
rbbm.
''Five more Canadians on a cruise ship that has been quarantined off the coast of Japan have tested positive for the new coronavirus, bringing the total on board the vessel to seven.

''The Canadians were among 41 positive tests for the virus identified in the latest round of tests conducted by the Japanese Ministry of Health, according to a statement from Princess Cruises, the operator of the Diamond Princess.

"This is the last batch to be tested and the quarantine end date will be Feb. 19, unless there are any other unforeseen developments,'' said a statement from the cruise line.

The cruise line said the nationalities of the new cases, in addition to the Canadians, were one from Argentina, five from Australia, 21 from Japan, one from the United Kingdom and eight from the United States.''

Last week my daughter stopped by for a weekend visit. She has a favorite chinese restaurant and wanted delivery. I looked at her like she had 3 heads and we ordered Chipotle instead. I will go back eventually to order Chinese, I just can't now without thinking of this virus.

Thankfully, she is healthy and no signs of flu-like or cold symptoms.

Here was her itinerary:
12/18 - Flew from JFK to Taiwan (changed planes in Montreal, Canada and Shanghai, China)
12/19-12/21 - Taiwan
12/21-12/31 - Philippines
12/31-1/11 - Australia
1/11-1/13 - Singapore

It was getting me worried about the huge increase reported out of Singapore, but I think she is now in the clear since it's been over 14 days since she left.

We still talk about me pushing her to visit Beijing during this backpacking trip (she had many options in China for a long layover on the return flight). She had no interest in visiting China before the outbreak because of their communist rule and decided against any visit to China.

Hong Kong to quarantine anyone traveling via China

Hong Kong said starting Saturday midnight local time, it would quarantine anyone who had traveled to and from mainland China in the past 14 days and then returned to Hong Kong.

Hong Kong locals put under quarantine will be allowed to stay at home, while non-locals will have to stay at hotels or "quarantine camps."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ammereignw