CANADA Canada - Ben Tyner, 32, cowboy, horse returned w/o him, Merritt, British Columbia, 26 Jan 2019 - #3

Thanks for finding an update.

From your link:
“The investigation into the disappearance of Ben Tyner continues, being diligently led by the Southeast District Major Crime Unit (SED MCU). To date, several investigational avenues have been explored, however in order to protect the ongoing investigation police are unable to share those findings publicly at this time.”

Wonder if that just means the same avenues they were following a year ago, or if there are new leads?

From your link:
“The investigation into the disappearance of Ben Tyner continues, being diligently led by the Southeast District Major Crime Unit (SED MCU). To date, several investigational avenues have been explored, however in order to protect the ongoing investigation police are unable to share those findings publicly at this time.”

Wonder if that just means the same avenues they were following a year ago, or if there are new leads?

“Several investigative avenues” seems to indicate a multitude of possibilities. I’d hoped by now, a year later, the RCMP’s investigation has become more focused. And I can’t hazard a guess why Ben’s disappearance has not been officially reclassified from a Suspicious Disappearance to an Unsolved Homicide, other than proof of his murder has still not been found.

“Suspicious” typically means the disappearance cannot be explained -
ie The 20-year-old missing woman has been found safe and unharmed, Edmonton police said. The disappearance was originally treated as suspicious.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/edmonton-woman-disappearance-suspicious-1.5208439

Also from your link -
Tyner case remains cold - Merritt Herald
“Our Wyoming Senator, Mike Enzi, has been very helpful in getting the FBI and State Department involved in assisting the RCMP.” ...”

I’m not exactly sure what the above refers to as the FBI and Wyoming State Dept have absolutely no jurisdiction to conduct investigations within Canada, regardless that Ben was a US citizen. But it’s possible the RCMP could be looking a potential US suspect who crossed the border and back, somehow involved directly or indirectly because that’s one reason for this type of cross-border liaison taking place.

I really do hope the family will be given answers very soon. I can only imagine the heartbreak, the emptiness, the unanswered questions which they were suddenly confronted with.

From your link:

His family must be more than sick. I’m sure the search of the compost piles left them with no hope Ben is alive.

<SBM>

Also from your link -
Tyner case remains cold - Merritt Herald
“Our Wyoming Senator, Mike Enzi, has been very helpful in getting the FBI and State Department involved in assisting the RCMP.” ...”

I’m not exactly sure what the above refers to as the FBI and Wyoming State Dept have absolutely no jurisdiction to conduct investigations within Canada, regardless that Ben was a US citizen. But it’s possible the RCMP could be looking a potential US suspect who crossed the border and back, somehow involved directly or indirectly because that’s one reason for this type of cross-border liaison taking place.

I really do hope the family will be given answers very soon. I can only imagine the heartbreak, the emptiness, the unanswered questions which they were suddenly confronted with.

The FBI has offices all over the world. We were discussing this in the thread on AM from Belize. It's not uncommon at all to see this happening.

Ottawa, Canada — FBI

The FBI has offices all over the world. We were discussing this in the thread on AM from Belize. It's not uncommon at all to see this happening.

Ottawa, Canada — FBI

Im not getting into a great debate but no, the FBI does not have jurisdiction to actively investigate crimes committed in Canada, other than in partnership with Canadian police forces with respect to a possible implication pertaining to criminal American involvement. I can’t speak for Belize. Vice versa, this also applies - Canadian police forces do not investigate possible crimes committed in the US even if it’s a crime against a Canadian citizen as the US and Canada are two different countries.

It is true however the United States has an Embassy in Canada, as does Canada in the US. But the purpose of foreign embassies is to represent and support the rights of their respective citizens as well as providing a point of communication with families in the home country.

As Ben is an American citizen and only known to be “missing” at this time, the FBI probably has the means to check his personal cellphone records, credit cards, bank acct info, etc at the request of his family. That sort of information could prove useful if it pointed to a Canadian suspect and that’d be another way the two forces might possibly work together.

Last edited:
Im not getting into a great debate but no, the FBI does not have jurisdiction to actively investigate crimes committed in Canada, other than in partnership with Canadian police forces with respect to a possible implication pertaining to criminal American involvement. I can’t speak for Belize. Vice versa, this also applies - Canadian police forces do not investigate possible crimes committed in the US even if it’s a crime against a Canadian citizen as the US and Canada are two different countries.

BBM - yes, in partnership with the RCMP, as was stated in the link. And I believe they mean State Department - nothing to do with Wyoming. That's who protects Americans abroad.

It's very well outlined here as to jurisdiction: Protecting Americans Overseas

I'm just saying it's very common, which is why they have offices all over so that they can rapidly assist local authorities.

BBM - yes, in partnership with the RCMP, as was stated in the link. And I believe they mean State Department - nothing to do with Wyoming. That's who protects Americans abroad.

It's very well outlined here as to jurisdiction: Protecting Americans Overseas

I'm just saying it's very common, which is why they have offices all over so that they can rapidly assist local authorities.

Is Wyoming not the State where Ben’s family resides? My mistake if that’s not so.

Yes, agreed, but to clarify, by jurisdiction the FBI are prevented from investigating, interviewing, etc in the physical location of Merritt, BC but the FBI certainly may be of assistance in providing the RCMP other pertinent details pertaining to Ben’s prior life in general prior to taking the job at the ranch.

So while it may be referred to a partnership - why I use the word liaison, instead, - each police force has jurisdiction specifically in their own country. For example the RCMP are prevented from travelling to Ben’s hometown in Wyoming to inquire who might’ve held a grudge against Ben and if anyone known to Ben from around there was also suddenly absent during the time of his disappearance, etc.

This is also where complexity may lay, for example if there’s a potential suspect who’s not local to Merritt, BC and is an American. We don’t know what police are focused on so this is merely speculation. But if the RCMP require “help”, this could also be a possible avenue of the investigation. Amongst the most difficult crimes to solve are scenarios such as the culprit is a total stranger to the locals who then immediately leaves the area after the murder is committed, only the victim knowing the identity of the culprit.

Last edited:
Yes - it is. But the State Department is what I believe they're referring to - not the state of Wyoming. JMO.

I was only referring to this, quoted from above as the State Dept in mention presumably refers to Wyoming police? In Canada the RCMP are based nationally, similar to the FBI.

“Our Wyoming Senator, Mike Enzi, has been very helpful in getting the FBI and State Department involved in assisting the RCMP.”

I was only referring to this, quoted from above as the State Dept in mention presumably refers to Wyoming police? In Canada the RCMP are based nationally, similar to the FBI.

“Our Wyoming Senator, Mike Enzi, has been very helpful in getting the FBI and State Department involved in assisting the RCMP.”

No - the State Department is the federal agency that operates embassies, among other things: U.S. Department of State - United States Department of State

Ben your'e not forgotten. I hope someone will use the shelter in place during the COVID-19 to reflect on what they know about Ben's disappearance and come forward to LE and provide some information to bring some resolution to Ben's case.

It's so very sad for this family. It seems to have been forgotten anyway, but with the virus, even worse.

Most recent post from Ben's Mother

Hope everyone is staying healthy and sane. We have nothing new to report on Ben’s case. RCMP is working from home and is not able to make any progress for now. We will keep you posted when we learn anything new.
We pray that you all stay well and that our world can become a safe and wonderful place again very soon!

MISSING: BEN TYNER

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth