CA - Kobe Bryant, 41, daughter GiGi, 13, & 7 others die in helicopter crash, Calabasas, 26 Jan 2020

I spoke with my son last night. He’s 24. He and his younger brother idolized Kobe. He told me last night he feels “gutted” from the horrible accident. Says he keeps thinking about it. My sons loved him and wanted to be him when they were little :(:)

The NTSB typically release 2 reports , a preliminary report is ready now (link below)

It usually takes several months before the final report is released.

Somewhat dry reading , a bit of technical stuff , some good pictures etc. PDF

https://ntsb.gov/investigations/Documents/DCA20MA059-Investigative-Update.pdf

I've seen that there are 2 reports. I haven't compared the 2 to see what's different. I posted them both on the last page

NTSB report 1

NTSB updated report

Reading the 2 NTSB reports plus the various articles, I wonder what shape the pilot was in when he was found. I wonder if there was enough of him to even autopsy to rule out something like a fatal heart attack. We know they were able to identify some of them with a finger print.

NTSB report 1

NTSB updated report

Look at the fog at that time stamp!

View attachment 231174

Very interesting picture ..... we know he reached 2300 feet ..... darn anyway ... at 2400 he would have broken through and been OK

I also noticed the NTSB report says he had contacted them to say he was going to climb to 4000 feet .... so in other words the left turn and decent was not intentional..... (earlier I had speculated he was turning around and descending to get back to where he had visibility.)

Looking at the picture also explains the pilot saying he had encountered "another" cloud layer which would be the one at 2400 feet ...... and if you look closely you can see another cloud layer above that , and in the distance is a strip of clear sky he would have headed for and been close to where he planned to land.

Very interesting picture ..... we know he reached 2300 feet ..... darn anyway ... at 2400 he would have broken through and been OK

I also noticed the NTSB report says he had contacted them to say he was going to climb to 4000 feet .... so in other words the left turn and decent was not intentional..... (earlier I had speculated he was turning around and descending to get back to where he had visibility.)

Looking at the picture also explains the pilot saying he had encountered "another" cloud layer which would be the one at 2400 feet ...... and if you look closely you can see another cloud layer above that , and in the distance is a strip of clear sky he would have headed for and been close to where he planned to land.

That's what I think, left turn and descent was unintentional; but then again he was dropping 4,000 feet a minute

That's what I think, left turn and descent was unintentional; but then again he was dropping 4,000 feet a minute

Just to be clear for anyone thinking 4,000 ft is referring to above the ground level.

Altimeters read at mean sea level (MSL) and not the literal height above the ground over which you're flying (AGL) -- because it's constantly changing.

For this purpose, I find it best to use dropping 4,000 fpm for estimating the ground speed and/or understand that the crash impact occurred in less than a minute.

The pilot requested to climb to 4,000 feet MSL but the helicopter never achieved that altitude.

MOO

so can someone dumb it down for me?
it was pilot error correct?

Kobe Bryant's widow expresses grief, anger in online post

2/10/2020

“My brain refuses to accept that both Kobe and Gigi are gone,” she wrote. “It’s like I’m trying to process Kobe being gone but my body refuses to accept my Gigi will never come back to me. It feels wrong. Why should I be able to wake up another day when my baby girl isn’t being able to have that opportunity?! I’m so mad. She had so much life to live."

[..]

“I know what I’m feeling is normal. It’s part of the grieving process. I just wanted to share in case there’s anyone out there that’s experienced a loss like this,” she wrote. “God I wish they were here and this nightmare would be over. Praying for all of the victims of this horrible tragedy. Please continue to pray for all.”

No mechanical error reported so I'd say yes -- pilot error. Pilot was at the controls.

Thank you for translating flying lingo. A few more questions if you don’t mind.

Will anyone have reason to sue the Bryant’s?

At what point did they realize something was happening?

Were they instantly killed upon impact?

so can someone dumb it down for me?
it was pilot error correct?

No mechanical error reported so I'd say yes -- pilot error. Pilot was at the controls.

In my response about pilot error, I neglected to also include my assumption that transmission between ATC and the pilot did not include instructions from ATC for the pilot to climb 2,000 ft and turn left. We only heard one side of the conversation and no knowledge of what was said to the pilot.

In my response about pilot error, I neglected to also include my assumption that transmission between ATC and the pilot did not include instructions from ATC for the pilot to climb 2,000 ft and turn left. We only heard one side of the conversation and no knowledge of what was said to the pilot.

right I forgot about that

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back