GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam Co, 2 May 2014 - #13

It’s been awhile since I checked in here and I’ve enjoyed catching up and the continued discussion.
I wonder whether they were targeted but by mistake. Somebody came in from the lake going after someone else(robbery, hired kill, some reason) and they got the houses mixed up. Maybe LE can’t connect the dots because they weren’t the intended victims. I hope the police investigate other folks who live nearby on the lake. Maybe there will be information that indicates someone else might have been the real target. Just my wandering thoughts.

Exactly. I doubt if people would bother to waste their money owning multiple locations, or even own franchises at all, if there wasn't appropriate financial gain involved. There are a lot of easier ways to throw away money than to run a fast food franchise with lots of employees, health regs, and etc.
unless it is the best way to launder money of course

Exactly. I doubt if people would bother to waste their money owning multiple locations, or even own franchises at all, if there wasn't appropriate financial gain involved. There are a lot of easier ways to throw away money than to run a fast food franchise with lots of employees, health regs, and etc.
Starting at 7:40 into the podcast “ SS pauses before saying that the records he has reviewed don’t show anything heinous enough to warrant the vicious manner of killings”

The way I took that is that they screwed someone over big time but not this big time. He wanted to say something but didn’t and the FBI is finally involved.
FBI was involved because initially it was a kidnapping. According to SS they offered nothing of import.

Starting at 7:40 into the podcast “ SS pauses before saying that the records he has reviewed don’t show anything heinous enough to warrant the vicious manner of killings”

The way I took that is that they screwed someone over big time but not this big time. He wanted to say something but didn’t and the FBI is finally involved.

IIRC, the FBI was initially involved due to the appearance of a kidnapping of MRs D

yeah that was a weird dropff LOL...….glad its back on! Have they heard from the family yet? I guess the son did a televised interview instead since the inquiry to the podcast when they never responded??

More about Sheriff Sills and this community

......but this domestic abuse case involved a Putnam county police officer, who had domestic charges against his wife,

She allegedly shot herself in the bedroom where the husband and officer found her

He called SS, instead of 911.........….who said it was a suspicious death initially and at some point Officer Perrault was arrested but released on bond of $1500.00

$1500.00....???

and now is not considered a suspect........

I know you have to follow the evidence, so yeah this was a domestic abuse case and the wife decided to let him come home.......we know how those end

and we've seen too many cops kill their spouses, Are we to honestly believe this…..

DOES SS really believe that?!

This is troubling to say the least, all the way around......which makes the Dermond case troubling moreso and recalling the Tex McIver case where SS said he didn't think he killed his wife, who was convicted of murder.....if anyone remembers or followed that case, SS was friends with the Atlanta atty and his high powered wife Diane McIver...….

Im beginning to think troubling thoughts about the opinions of this sheriff

Wife of Georgia police officer charged with domestic violence found dead

......but this domestic abuse case involved a Putnam county police officer, who had domestic charges against his wife,

She allegedly shot herself in the bedroom where the husband and officer found her

He called SS, instead of 911.........….who said it was a suspicious death initially and at some point Officer Perrault was arrested but released on bond of $1500.00

$1500.00....???

I know you have to follow the evidence, so yeah this was a domestic abuse case and the wife decided to let him come home.......we know how those end

and we've seen too many cops kill their spouses, Are we to honestly believe this…..

This is troubling to say the least, all the way around......which makes the Dermond case troubling moreso and recalling the Tex McIver case where SS said he didn't think he killed his wife, who was convicted of murder.....if anyone remembers or followed that case, SS was friends with the Atlanta atty and his high powered wife Diane McIver...….

I was really worried when I read your post, but I listened to the news video with the SS interview. The husband didn't call SS instead of 911, he called his direct boss of a different name. SS said there was a long history of abuse in this case. The video also said the officer/husband is on unpaid administrative leave because of his battery charge against his wife only 6 days earlier, and that he may lose his job over those charges. To me, it seemed like SS is thinking absolutely homicide, but he is careful (and professional, imo) not to accuse anyone before the facts are in.

He did say that absolutely, homicide has NOT been ruled out, and that they will follow the evidence. I think the medical examiner will play a key role in determining what went on, along with police and experts to test for GSR and blood spatter and whatever. imo. The $1500 bail was on the simple battery charge and not for this event, as they haven't yet determined whether or not it was a suicide or a homicide. To me, it seemed like SS was taking the right approach, and will be ruling out a homicide before it would ever be determined to be a suicide, rather than just accepting the story the husband is telling.

It *is* interesting however, that the GBI is involved in this case? Why this case but not the D case?

From link above:

Sills says Perrault was arrested Jan. 28 at the couple's home at 133 Long Island Drive.

He says Perrault was charged with simple battery on his wife. He was also charged with third-degree child cruelty, because his 8-year-old daughter was present.

Perrault was released on a $1,500 bond the next day.
---
Sills said, "Because of the evidence and the circumstances that we've seen so far, we're suspicious of it."

Myself and a large majority of people I’ve spoken with in Atlanta don’t think Tex shot his wife. The entire story is completely plausible. A bump in the road exists exactly where Diane was shot. The driver chose to get off at that exit not Tex.

He was convicted by his poor behavior after the accidental shooting. His wife whom he shot said it was an accident. He shot his wife and she died. He didn’t murder her on purpose. She was far more valuable to him as a wife than dead. The case is an odd one.

$1500.00....???

Last edited:
SS used the GBI in this case......his reasons were that he didn't want anyone to think that the officer was receiving special treatment

That's odd, the Dermonds is such a horrific murder and very unique situation......if he would use GBI in the Perrault case why not in the Dermond case?? Apparently he will use them to protect his force but not to solve a horrific murder??? Im confused

'Things just weren't the way things should be': Putnam County Sheriff calls death of officer's wife 'suspicious'

Myself and a large majority of people I’ve spoken with in Atlanta don’t think Tex shot his wife. The entire story is completely plausible. A bump in the road exists exactly where Diane was shot. The driver chose to get off at that exit not Tex.

He was convicted by his poor behavior after the accidental shooting. His wife whom he shot said it was an accident. He shot his wife and she died. He didn’t murder her on purpose. She was far more valuable to him as a wife than dead. The case is an odd one.
I always thought he did. Still do...…..He's a smooth codger ….LOL ….and atty

She would have been much more valuable to him......DEAD...….if he had not been convicted...….surely he never thought that would happen...……...the conviction was a weird one though, how it was written/worded

it was under appeal, maybe they'll figure it out,,,,,SS never thought he was guilty either FWIW

Last edited:
SS used the GBI in this case......his reasons were that he didn't want anyone to think that the officer was receiving special treatment

That's odd, the Dermonds is such a horrific murder and very unique situation......if he would use GBI in the Perrault case why not in the Dermond case?? Apparently he will use them to protect his force but not to solve a horrific murder??? Im confused

'Things just weren't the way things should be': Putnam County Sheriff calls death of officer's wife 'suspicious'
I can see why now.. yes you're right, the reasons given that 'he didn't want anyone to think the officer was receiving special treatment'.. he would HAVE to have this matter investigated by an outside party for that very reason... Makes total sense now. Over here we have what is called 'Special Investigations Unit' (SIU) which is automatically called whenever there is something involving an officer, such as if a firearm went off, .. anywhere where the officer could potentially be blamed for something. But yes, if GBI is good enough to investigate this, then why not also at least get their input on the other?

Last edited:
DM will was leaving her estate to her godson since she thought she would outlive Tex and they didn’t have any kids of their own. When Diane died all her money was gone as far as Tex was concerned. When she was alive she could help fund his hobbies.

I always thought he did. Still do...…..He's a smooth codger ….LOL ….and atty

She would have been much more valuable to him......DEAD...….if he had not been convicted...….surely he never thought that would happen...……...the conviction was a weird one though, how it was written/worded

it was under appeal, maybe they'll figure it out,,,,,SS never thought he was guilty either FWIW

I don’t believe he enjoys using the GBI but I believe his hand was forced in this incident. Another case that Fred & Edna follows is the Boynton case. I follow that case as well. The GBI got involved in that case with a GA police officer accused of shooting his wife. It looks like he did as well but the GBI are covering for him.

I can see why now.. yes you're right, the reasons given that 'he didn't want anyone to think the officer was receiving special treatment'.. he would HAVE to have this matter investigated by an outside party for that very reason... Makes total sense now. Over here we have what is called 'Special Investigations Unit' (SIU) which is automatically called whenever there is something involving an officer, such as if a firearm went off, .. anywhere where the officer could potentially be blamed for something. But yes, if GBI is good enough to investigate this, then why not also at least get their input on the other?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back