Coronavirus - Global Health Emergency, 2019-nCoV #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope too , this is just so contagious I just hope humans can handle the other issues that go along with this .

Yes its small things like this no one thinks of at the time , I think China is just sugar coating this and its way worse than what they are saying , I honestly think its out of hand , I've been eating out the last week or so because I have this fear that in a few months It will be a really bad idea, and I'm going to have to cook all the time ( I know I sound totally paranoid)

Except then why haven’t we had an explosion of cases worldwide by now? People were flying in and out of Wuhan long before the area was cutoff. And five million people left Wuhan before they closed the borders of the city. Why isn’t there a world wide explosion already?

What?!
Going forward in China: “Patients tested positive for the virus but have no symptoms will no longer be regarded as confirmed. This inevitably will lower the numbers.”

Twitter

@BNOdesk

I noticed that on their notes yesterday that they said some numbers from China were being altered as the patients weren't symptomatic. Doesn't make any sense to me? I thought it was just a list of 'confirmed' cases...how is it any use for current understanding or future research if you decide to remove some cases from the total just because they weren't symptomatic? I can understand marking them as confirmed but asymptomatic, that could be helpful, but to remove them from the figures entirely? Hmmm. I hope the WHO will have words with them about this.

So first the virus that killed half their pigs then coronavirus now I just read their is also an outbreak of a bird virus killing chickens. What is happening in china.

This is so ridiculous

so then those 20/40 people also go on and have contact with 100’s more people. So it’s impossible to track and it will spread and spread if China is anything to go by.

The people in those numbers who they think have a higher chance of contracting the virus are going to be in home isolation, though? That's how contact-tracking can help to break the cycle of transmission. That's how they broke SARS.

What I've read so far is that even if they can't totally break the transmission as they did with SARS, at least they can try to hold it at bay and keep the numbers infected as low as possible so that systems (work, transport, healthcare, etc) won't break down, hopefully the virus will find it harder to spread in spring/summer/early autumn, and have a vaccine ready for next winter, even if they have to start the winter season off with ring vaccination (instead of mass vaccination) that will help a lot.

I’m glad you brought up this whole “air vent” business. I saw a video talking about one building where many people died during SARS and I wanted to see/confirm if spread was via the air vents. Also, this “aerosol plume of virus-laden diarrhea” also has me wondering about this as well, the “airborne”, as well as the “fecal” aspects, moo.

I especially expect an increase in Hong Kong cases, considering Ms. Lam left the border points open so long, JMO.

Here's a report that relates to an "aerosol plume of virus-laden diarrhea" caused by flushing a toilet.

"Faeces particles can spread to a toothbrush through the air after flushing. Bacteria in the faeces particles can lead to illnesses such as diarrhoea"

"Fecal coliforms are rod-shaped bacteria found in human faeces and can spread onto a toothbrush through the air through actions such as flushing the toilet."

"'Better hygiene practices are recommended for students who share bathrooms both in the storage of their toothbrush but also in personal hygiene,' said Aber."

Faeces is common on toothbrushes in shared bathrooms | Daily Mail Online

The people in those numbers who they think have a higher chance of contracting the virus are going to be in home isolation, though? That's how contact-tracking can help to break the cycle of transmission. That's how they broke SARS.

What I've read so far is that even if they can't totally break the transmission as they did with SARS, at least they can try to hold it at bay and keep the numbers infected as low as possible so that systems (work, transport, healthcare, etc) won't break down, hopefully the virus will find it harder to spread in spring/summer/early autumn, and have a vaccine ready for next winter, even if they have to start the winter season off with ring vaccination (instead of mass vaccination) that will help a lot.

Yes but people will have already or interacted with other people.

This person didn’t meet these people and then instantly go into isolation. It would of been days before he got diagnosed and in that time all those people he saw and could of infected continued with their life’s and in turn they could of spread it.

? How many full time military in China
google = 2.18 million

"In 2019, China had the largest active duty military in the world,
with about 2.18 million active military personnel."

Large group to monitor.

how are they screening these people who have been exposed , this little girl was obviously with her dad what if she is just a carrier.

ETA are they keeping them for 14 days or does she see Mom the second she touches down?

how are they screening these people who have been exposed , this little girl was obviously with her dad what if she is just a carrier.

ETA are they keeping them for 14 days or does she see Mom the second she touches down?

I read that if she is brought back to Canada, that both child and mother will be quarantined for 14 days.

Ausome summary, ty.

I noticed that on their notes yesterday that they said some numbers from China were being altered as the patients weren't symptomatic. Doesn't make any sense to me? I thought it was just a list of 'confirmed' cases...how is it any use for current understanding or future research if you decide to remove some cases from the total just because they weren't symptomatic? I can understand marking them as confirmed but asymptomatic, that could be helpful, but to remove them from the figures entirely? Hmmm. I hope the WHO will have words with them about this.

Definitely will be listening to and watching The WHO teleconference tomorrow at 10. Am. I'm sure the media will be asking this question.

Oh my. IMO I think that is another really bad thing for their Government to do. If people are afraid to go to hospitals then by not allowing them to buy cough medicines and other medicines is only going to make them suffer more as I doubt that will be enough to make them go to the hospital.

A simple solution that does not make people suffer like that. How about just limiting the places where people can buy those medicines and then have someone there that can test any people buying them if they want to test them.

I think that's a very good idea, Hatfield. But I doubt they have enough test kits to do that.

I am hoping they can ramp up production and turnaround on test kits, and start doing random testing of respiratory/flu/pneumonia patients in hospitals and clinics/gp surgeries, and also start doing random serology testing for antibodies to get some idea of whether or not some cases are already going under the radar in the UK (and other countries with the facilities to do these things).

No coronavirus cases found in the first group of Americans evacuated from Wuhan

The group of passengers arrived at the base on Jan. 29 after arriving from China. Many of the passengers work for the US State Department or are related to someone who does. They have been isolated from base personnel and were not permitted to leave the fenced quarantine area.

They have been on a 14-day quarantine that expires on Tuesday, and they will be free to leave March Air Reserve Base if they do not display any symptoms.

Coronavirus news and live updates: Virus kills 97 people in China in one day, while cruise ship cases almost double - CNN

Except then why haven’t we had an explosion of cases worldwide by now? People were flying in and out of Wuhan long before the area was cutoff. And five million people left Wuhan before they closed the borders of the city. Why isn’t there a world wide explosion already?

Exactly, Gitana. The cases outside Hubei were being tracked to people who'd traveled from Hubei. Then it started to spread to more cities/provinces in China and cases outside China started to be tracked to travelers who'd come from other parts of China. Then there started to be tracking back of confirmed cases to places like Singapore, or local transmission within the people to the confirmed case.

All of this seems to back up the shape of the 'official' confirmed cases, except that I believe there are far more infected in Hubei than official numbers show, due to people not realising that it's the coronavirus causing their cough or whatever slight symptoms they have, the way that it's affected hospitals in Wuhan, etc.

At the same time, I was wondering if there might not be some confirmation bias in the testing if they were only testing people with cold/flu symptoms who'd come from/through a particular area. The guy in Brighton, UK, who was infected in Singapore and then spread it in France and the UK, and apparently to another person who then flew to Majorca. At the time when the Brighton guy came back from Singapore there were no warnings to travelers from outside of China... If it hadn't been for the other cases from the Singapore conference being identified, and him being in the 'at risk' group from that conference, he'd have just thought he had a mild cold, the people he infected would have thought the same and wouldn't have been warned by health authorities to self-isolate just in case. What is the chance of another cluster like that around the Brighton guy that hasn't been caught?

I think we've got to get out of this "omg, the plague!" frame of mind, because there's so much chance this will go global just like the flu does every year. And that also means our governments considering if we have enough hospitals, isolation units, quarantine areas, etc if we do end up with the same kind of numbers (or even more) than we have flu cases every year?

Here's a report that relates to an "aerosol plume of virus-laden diarrhea" caused by flushing a toilet.

"Faeces particles can spread to a toothbrush through the air after flushing. Bacteria in the faeces particles can lead to illnesses such as diarrhoea"

"Fecal coliforms are rod-shaped bacteria found in human faeces and can spread onto a toothbrush through the air through actions such as flushing the toilet."

"'Better hygiene practices are recommended for students who share bathrooms both in the storage of their toothbrush but also in personal hygiene,' said Aber."

Faeces is common on toothbrushes in shared bathrooms | Daily Mail Online

This is one reason why I always put the lid down prior to flushing!

No coronavirus cases found in the first group of Americans evacuated from Wuhan

The group of passengers arrived at the base on Jan. 29 after arriving from China. Many of the passengers work for the US State Department or are related to someone who does. They have been isolated from base personnel and were not permitted to leave the fenced quarantine area.

They have been on a 14-day quarantine that expires on Tuesday, and they will be free to leave March Air Reserve Base if they do not display any symptoms.

Coronavirus news and live updates: Virus kills 97 people in China in one day, while cruise ship cases almost double - CNN

This is very good news that so far very few cases have been found in the returnees from Wuhan. If it had infected 1 in 5 people in Wuhan, you'd expect a number of those returnees to come home infected.

I love love love you folks with the positive attitudes but who are doing it without the seeming 'its nothing but another flu' dismissal. Some of us are going crazy and seeing folks dismiss it out of hand is not helpful... kudos to those who can see the seriousness and still see light and not just dark crazy...

Today from Hubei:

2097 new cases

103 new deaths
BNO Newsroom (@BNODesk) on Twitter

@BNOdesk

Just below it, from the same Newsroom.

"BNO Newsroom
@BNODesk

·
3h

WHO on China changing its definition for a confirmed case: "We're not aware of that change. We'll check it out obviously, but we're not aware of any significant change to the case definition, certainly not one that discounts lab-confirmed cases .. It sounds strange."

Tomorrow's press conference at 10 a.m. Is going to be interesting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member