Coronavirus - Global Health Emergency, 2019-nCoV #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can it be assumed the child was exposed to the virus? How can she be on a plane with others?

I've seen several interviews with this child's mom. Not sure if I can find the particular link, Dad, Paternal grandfather and grandmother have all been confirmed to have the virus. Grandfather has now passed away. The child had a fever, which is why she was not able to get on the first flight. She has been tested and is negative for the Coronavirus.

British traveller may have spread novel coronavirus across Europe, officials say
apmap.jpeg

The man’s employer, the British industrial sensor company Sermovex, held a conference at Singapore’s five-star Grand Hyatt Hotel from Jan. 20 to 22. At the time, there were 94 foreigners at the hotel, including some from Hubei province, the epicentre of the novel coronavirus outbreak.

The hotel said it was informed by Singapore’s Ministry of Health that three people who attended the conference experienced symptoms after returning to their home countries of Malaysia and South Korea and have now been diagnosed with the virus.

A man who is quarantined in the U.K was demanding to leave so the government had to draw up emergency legislation today to keep people detained by law. People need to understand the seriousness of the situation and that it could be a matter of life and death.

A Chinese citizen journalist who went viral for his reporting on coronavirus from Wuhan has gone missing, and his family says he's been forcibly quarantined
3 hours ago

5e4017ebe35bab0f603ec897

Chen Qiushi, a Chinese lawyer and citizen journalist, went viral on YouTube and Twitter for reporting on the Wuhan coronavirus from the epicenter of the outbreak.
Screenshot YouTube/Chen Qiushi
—-

He spoke out about the Wuhan virus. Now his family and friends fear he's been silenced - CNN
Sun February 9, 2020

“Chen Qiushi, a citizen journalist who had been doing critical reporting from Wuhan, the central Chinese city at the epicenter of the outbreak, went missing on Thursday evening, just as hundreds of thousands of people in China began demanding freedom of speech online.”

[...]

“Li's passing ignited a storm of outrageacross China, with an intensity and scope rarely seen in its tightly-controled online sphere. People called for an official apology from the government and flooded social media with the hashtag "I want freedom of speech," a fundamental right supposedly protected under the country's constitution.”

[...]

“We're worried for his physical safety but also worried that while he's missing he might get infected by the virus," a friend who had been authorized by Chen to take over his Twitter account should he disappear told CNN. The individual requested anonymity for fear of reprisals by the government.”

He ducked Chinese authorities to report on coronavirus in Wuhan. Then he disappeared.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2020/02/09/chen-qiushi-coronavirus-wuhan/

““I’m afraid. In front of me is disease, behind me is China’s legal and administrative power,” he said, according to multiple translations. “But as long as I’m alive, I’ll speak what I’ve seen and what I’ve heard. I’m not afraid of dying. Why should I be afraid of you, Communist Party?””

—-

Chen Qiushi: A citizen journalist on the frontline of the Wuhan coronavirus outbreak | Hong Kong Free Press HKFP

wow! they are heroes!

Coronavirus outbreak: Santa Clara County declares local health emergency

County officials declared a local health emergency in Santa Clara County Monday due to the coronavirus outbreak.

Officials stressed that this does not mean there is an increased risk to the public.

The declaration helps ensure that the county is prepared to respond effectively to the outbreak and allows them to receive mutual aid resources from the state of California and other jurisdictions.

Two people have tested positive for the coronavirus in Santa Clara County.

Not alarmist or political, but it is all very removed from me, here in the United States. I wonder what would happen if all of the sudden there are pockets of this disease in California, Washington, New York, will state governors call an emergency and stop people from coming into their state?

Not alarmist or political, but it is all very removed from me, here in the United States. I wonder what would happen if all of the sudden there are pockets of this disease in California, Washington, New York, will state governors call an emergency and stop people from coming into their state?

I’m trying not to be alarmist. Although I do live in Santa Clara County (see Jerseygirl’s post above). So it is a bit of a challenge for me to go about my daily business without side-eyeing every person who coughs or even looks sick.

Now that my county is declaring a local health emergency I do wonder if they know something they have not released yet- like perhaps tomorrow we may find out more people have it here. But that would be alarmist. And I’m trying not to be :D.

I do wonder what will happen if more people test positive in a specific region.

MOO

This is why many people died in Katrina, they refused to evacuate without their pets.

I have always had an SUV rather than a car because I figure if I ever lose my job and my home I can live with my pets in my SUV.

Indeed. And this is also why tons of pets died because people left them. Thankfully, hurricane shelters and evacuation practices have since been made more pet friendly exactly because of Katrina.

Of course some idiots left their dogs tied to trees. This I know first hand, moo.

ETA / BBM:
U.S. citizen Rebecca Frasure has been in the isolation ward of a Tokyo hospital since Friday. She's now among the 135 people aboard the Diamond Princess who have tested positive for the novel coronavirus.

Frasure, who lives with her husband in Forest Grove, Oregon, said she feels "fine" apart from a slightly stuffy nose. She said the most severe symptoms she experienced from the virus were a mild fever and cough, both of which have since resolved.

"It doesn't even feel like a cold. To be perfectly honest, I wouldn't have known that there was anything wrong with me if they hadn't tested me."

23 Americans on cruise ship in Japan contract novel coronavirus
Wow...

Last edited:
The three places in China with the highest confirmed figures after Hubei had a total of just over 1000 cases on January 31st. The death count for those three places today stands at 8.

I have no idea how long it would take for a person's condition to deteriorate to death, but using that date gives a mortality rate of just under 1%.

Confirmed cases outside China on that date were 153, and there have been 2 deaths so far.

Today there are a total of 457 cases outside of mainland China, so with around a 1% mortality rate, we might see another 1-5 deaths outside China in the next 10-14 days?

It seems like the Chinese government is being dragged into more transparency and the pressure seems to be coming from within their own country. This can only be a good thing! Let's hope that this virus mutates to become less virulent. That is what I am hoping for. Our country had the swine flu and the bird flu impact us and we have been able to handle it. My own son had swine flu at the same time as another ER patient had both flus. That was scary. Nurses masked up but not the Dr. She said she for sure in her work has probably been exposed to both. She was amazing. She let me take him straight home and I promised her the whole family would not leave the house even for milk. I did not want anyone in the hospital getting sick from us. I swore to her that I would help my son at home and call for help if needed. My biggest fear besides my son's health was spreading it to innocent people, or really ill people at the hospital. Friends delivered drinks and food at the door. We got sick at home, but less sick that he got. Never left home for almost 2 weeks.

Wow, this is an excellent question.

There was the news article written about Mexico will probably see some cases. I wonder if their government will be diligent in checking people arriving into their country There are hundreds crossing daily between US & Mexico and that could be a problem to enforce.

MOO

There was the news article written about Mexico will probably see some cases. I wonder if their government will be diligent in checking people arriving into their country There are hundreds crossing daily between US & Mexico and that could be a problem to enforce.

MOO

This brings up an excellent discussion about Border Patrol down there...Will they be wielding temperature guns at some point? :eek:

I’ve seen articles posted upstream that Mexico states they are prepared (paraphrasing) and some are just pretty much expecting it. Moo.

Last edited:
In Mexico City, one possible case of coronavirus has been found

The person is a 37 year-old man, a Chinese national who lives in Mexico’s capital and traveled to Baotao, China, from January 3 to 27, 2020.

The person began with respiratory symptoms on February 7, 2020. So far, the patient is stable and does not present symptomatic contacts.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...155ffc-4762-11ea-91ab-ce439aa5c7c1_story.html

As dozens of airlines around the world forgo massive profits and suspend flights to China amid fears of spreading the new coronavirus, Africa's biggest airline continues to transport thousands from China every day.

Ethiopian Airlines has become the loudest proponent of sticking by China and keeping trade links open. Six other African airlines, including Kenya Airways and South African Airways, have suspended their flights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken