MI MI - Erik Cross, 16, Vicksburg, 26 Jun 1983

Video of the POI in this case, as he was released from jail at link:

Person of interest in cold case murder released from jail

Sat, Oct 24 2015,
09:30 PM

We have an exclusive development on a cold case that's haunted West Michigan for decades.

Back in 1983, Erik Cross was killed in a hit-and-run crash while walking down a road in Vicksburg.

The circumstances surrounding the 16-year-old's death have been shrouded in mystery until recently.

Newschannel 3 were there as a person of interest in the case, Brent Spaulding, was released from jail.

http://www.wwmt.com/news/features/t...-released-from-jail-223490.shtml#.VixgEytghSU
Bringing this forward as the video was re-posted on “Justice For Eric Stirling Cross” Facebook last night (it was originally broadcast in 2015).

It is disturbing and infuriating that Brent Spaulding has gotten away with so much since Erik’s murder now 36 years ago, but then sadly, we see exactly the same thing happen over and over in other cases as well.

I would also like to share the article that was published two days before (October 24th, 2015) the one above; here, you can watch a slightly longer version of the interview:
Person of interest in cold case murder released from jail

“[SBM]

Newschannel 3 were there as a person of interest in the case, Brent Spaulding, was released from jail.

Our cameras were rolling as Brent Spaulding was released from the Kalamazoo County Jail early Saturday morning.

[SBM]

Early Saturday morning, Newschannel 3 was there to hear what he had to say about the allegations.

Spaulding: ‘Whenever they've wanted any questioning, I've come in an answered all their questions. I'm sick of it. It's a big harassment, it's a witch hunt.’
NC3: ‘Why do you think it's a witch hunt?’
Spaulding: ‘They're looking for answers they're never going to find. They haven't found anything out in 32 years. What makes them think they're going to find out he was actually murdered. Nobody knows what happened to the poor kid
.’
NC3: ‘Do you think the family deserves closure?’
Spaulding: ‘That would have been nice 32 years ago.’

The sheriff's office says they know who was in the car that killed Erik.

With suspects identified, Cross's family believes justice is coming very soon.

‘My message to the people who may be trying to decide to keep hiding out or playing it safe or coming forward,’ said Cross's sister, Jackie Mitchell. ‘I think the undersheriff made it pretty clear that they're not going to be able to hide out anymore.‘

[SBM]

He [Spaulding] has not been charged with any crimes related to the cold case.

He was in jail on previous charges of home invasion, domestic violence, and assault.

The investigation is ongoing, and Newschannel 3 will continue to follow the case as it develops.”

It’s telling that he never says he didn’t do it, IMO.

Six billboards going up today in Kalamazoo!

Posted 5 hrs ago:
“Today is a big day for
Justice for Erik Cross.

The first of 6 billboards goes up in Downtown Kalamazoo, Michigan and the Can Drive in Vicksburg, Michigan.

Please try to come out to support the Can Drive.

Erik's Army will be handing out free posters and decals to all that stop out.

If you cannot make today's Can Drive, we will have one more next Wednesday in Kalamazoo, Michigan.
We will announce time and location after we finish tonight.

#JusticeforErik #JusticeforErikCross
#MichiganAttorneyGeneralDanaNessel
#EriksArmy
#VicksburgMichigan
#EdwardsburgMichigan
#GrangerIndiana
#GalesburgMichigan
#AugustaMichigan
#KalamazooMichigan
#ItsEriksTimeForJustice” (BBM)
Justice For Erik Stirling Cross

JAN 24, 2020
Insufficient evidence for charges in 36-year-old Kalamazoo County death: Attorney General
The state Attorney General’s office will not pursue charges in the hit-and-run death of a Vicksburg teen 36 years ago.

Staff with the state Attorney General issued a statement about the Erik Cross cold case.

“We know this is a heartbreaking decision for the Cross family but there is simply not enough evidence to criminally charge any of the remaining suspects with the death of Erik Cross. We can only imagine the decades of pain and anguish they have experienced and we wish we were able to make a different decision.

[...]

JAN 25, 2020
Michigan AG: ‘Not enough evidence’ to file charges in 1983 cold case

FEYMU37AXRGG7GVJME6YC4XARM.jpg

[...]

Cross was struck and killed by a car as he was walking home and was left to die in the road. Although there have been several leads over the last 35 years, nobody has ever been charged with the killing.

In 2017, murder warrants were issued for five people in connection to the death, but no charges were filed. The Cross family asked the Michigan AG’s office to investigate.

The AG’s office informed the family on Thursday that they won’t be able to move forward with the case due to the lack of evidence.

[...]

So very sorry this case can not bring justice for Erik . Still praying for this family to find strength and some peace. I wish no rest or peace for those still living with what happened the night Erik died. May you all roast ! Despicable, still heart broken family and friends. Karma karma karma MOO. I read the press release and was not able to process it right away. I cannot imagine what this family continues to endure

JAN 24, 2020
Insufficient evidence for charges in 36-year-old Kalamazoo County death: Attorney General
The state Attorney General’s office will not pursue charges in the hit-and-run death of a Vicksburg teen 36 years ago.

Staff with the state Attorney General issued a statement about the Erik Cross cold case.

“We know this is a heartbreaking decision for the Cross family but there is simply not enough evidence to criminally charge any of the remaining suspects with the death of Erik Cross. We can only imagine the decades of pain and anguish they have experienced and we wish we were able to make a different decision.

[...]

JAN 25, 2020
Michigan AG: ‘Not enough evidence’ to file charges in 1983 cold case

FEYMU37AXRGG7GVJME6YC4XARM.jpg

[...]

Cross was struck and killed by a car as he was walking home and was left to die in the road. Although there have been several leads over the last 35 years, nobody has ever been charged with the killing.

In 2017, murder warrants were issued for five people in connection to the death, but no charges were filed. The Cross family asked the Michigan AG’s office to investigate.

The AG’s office informed the family on Thursday that they won’t be able to move forward with the case due to the lack of evidence.

[...]

So very sorry this case can not bring justice for Erik . Still praying for this family to find strength and some peace. I wish no rest or peace for those still living with what happened the night Erik died. May you all roast ! Despicable, still heart broken family and friends. Karma karma karma MOO. I read the press release and was not able to process it right away. I cannot imagine what this family continues to endure

Such a Heartbreaking news.I feel so sorry for Erik's family and friends,they are amazing, true warriors motivated by their love for Erik.I want to believe that these evil killers will be punished by Karma in this life,they will definitely punished in the next world and justice will be done it that way or another.I can't read this update without shed tears.

As a mom, I want so badly to see this solved. I can't imagine having your son taken from you at any time in life let alone when he still has so much growing to do.

I audibly yelled out when I read the article about the Attorney general. I really believe that if Erik had been born in today's era, his killers would have already been brought to justice.

There's gotta be a way to do more. I refuse to believe that this is the end of the line.

[Edit] Does anyone have a connection to the family? Is there anything they need right now or anyway we can help?

www.justiceforerik.com
Spend some time there and learn about Erik and what happened to him one tragic night.
But for location, I’d have been a schoolmate of Erik’s. He’d be almost exactly one year older than me.
Im astounded when that reality hits me. Look at alllll the things I’ve been able to experience over the years that Erik has not. Marriage, finding a career that I loved, retirement, being a parent and now a grandparent, and on and on.
All because on a summer night in Michigan, a group of hot shot kids got stupid.
Guess what, though?
Erik has an ARMY behind him, led by the beautiful and strong Missy. This will never be over until it’s over the right way, with justice!

Erik, I just spent Christmas Day with my grandchildren, which is exactly what you should have been doing today. Sending much love to those that loved you, and those that are endlessly fighting to bring your case to justice. Erik’s Army WILL see this through.

Bumping for Erik
Thank you! I follow the Facebook pages for Erik but never think to post here about him. I will again say that Erik’s Army is a phenomenal group of beautiful people that WILL NOT REST until the guilty are behind bars.
I’m a 1985 graduate, not of Vicksburg. I’m flabbergasted that people about my age at the time could have carried out this horrific murder.
Justice will prevail. I have no doubt, because of Erik’s Army. ❤️

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hoist Gracie