Found Deceased CO - Gannon Stauch, 11, Colorado Springs, Lorson Ranch, El Paso County, 27 Jan 2020 *endangered* #10

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a bloodhound. I am not an expert but I think bloodhounds are used for ground scenting (as opposed to air scenting). I don't know if they can be used for either cadaver or live search and rescue but I'm guessing yes. Would love to know more about this from any experienced members.
Hi, first post. There was a case in Englewood/Littleton Colorado years ago, Alie Berrelez, was abducted (found murdered) from outside her home. A dog named Yogi (Bloodhound) was used to track her scent. Ole' Yogi walked (in the heat) for quite some distance and lead the trainers/investigators to her lifeless body. Little Alie's grandfather has made it his mission to train bloodhounds for this very thing, track missing children. This is the foundation he started, Richard F. Berrelez, ALIE Foundation, Inc.

Thank you all for caring about missing people especially children.

It's hard to say. They'd need warrants to get that information from a phone company, OnStar, etc. The whole process can take days, and they would've needed something to justify warrants to begin with. It also often takes some time for them to make sense of the data when they receive it. These companies also aren't always timely with providing info.

Unless there are "exigent circumstances", as in this case of the search for Gannon, a missing, endangered boy. Under these circumstances, the police would receive the information promptly.

Exigent Circumstances Law and Legal Definition | USLegal, Inc.

"Exigent circumstances are said to exist when

(1) a person's life or safety is threatened

(2) a suspect's escape is imminent, or

(3) evidence is about to be removed or destroyed.

This is also termed as emergency circumstances or special circumstances."

47 U.S.C. § 1002 - U.S. Code Title 47. Telecommunications § 1002 | FindLaw

(c)  Emergency or exigent circumstances

In emergency or exigent circumstances (including those described in sections 2518(7) or (11)(b) and 3125 of Title 18 and section 1805(e) of Title 50 ), a carrier at its discretion may comply with subsection (a)(3) of this section by allowing monitoring at its premises if that is the only means of accomplishing the interception or access.

(a)(3):

(a)  Capability requirements

Except as provided in subsections (b), (c), and (d) of this section and sections 1007(a) and 1008(b) and (d) of this title, a telecommunications carrier shall ensure that its equipment, facilities, or services that provide a customer or subscriber with the ability to originate, terminate, or direct communications are capable of--

(3)  delivering intercepted communications and call-identifying information to the government, pursuant to a court order or other lawful authorization, in a format such that they may be transmitted by means of equipment, facilities, or services procured by the government to a location other than the premises of the carrier;  and

Last edited:
Unless there are "exigent circumstances", as in this case of Gannon, a missing, endangered boy. Under these circumstances, the police would receive the information promptly.

In my experience as a dispatcher, the exigent circumstances process could be used to obtain location information for a phone belonging to the person in danger and not much else. They could've used the exigent circumstances process to get information on Gannon's phone, but they'd almost certainly need a warrant/subpoena to get info on anything else, like a family member's phone. It was an issue I ran into in similar cases.

Unless there are "exigent circumstances", as in this case of Gannon, a missing, endangered boy. Under these circumstances, the police would receive the information promptly.

Exigent Circumstances Law and Legal Definition | USLegal, Inc.

"Exigent circumstances are said to exist when

(1) a person's life or safety is threatened

(2) a suspect's escape is imminent, or

(3) evidence is about to be removed or destroyed.

This is also termed as emergency circumstances or special circumstances."

47 U.S.C. § 1002 - U.S. Code Title 47. Telecommunications § 1002 | FindLaw

(c)  Emergency or exigent circumstances

In emergency or exigent circumstances (including those described in sections 2518(7) or (11)(b) and 3125 of Title 18 and section 1805(e) of Title 50 ), a carrier at its discretion may comply with subsection (a)(3) of this section by allowing monitoring at its premises if that is the only means of accomplishing the interception or access.

(a)(3):

(a)  Capability requirements

Except as provided in subsections (b), (c), and (d) of this section and sections 1007(a) and 1008(b) and (d) of this title, a telecommunications carrier shall ensure that its equipment, facilities, or services that provide a customer or subscriber with the ability to originate, terminate, or direct communications are capable of--

(3)  delivering intercepted communications and call-identifying information to the government, pursuant to a court order or other lawful authorization, in a format such that they may be transmitted by means of equipment, facilities, or services procured by the government to a location other than the premises of the carrier;  and

MOO in practice this means telecoms are never prepared to give quick answers to police.
It is infuriating, they
don't want to dip onto profits for the expense to keep a master program going that allows quick information.

My understanding of cell phone/navigation data is that although it may be released quickly in emergency situations, it can take a considerable amount of time to actually make sense of because it's just raw data, not a nice tidy list.

MOO

I
MOO in practice this means telecoms are never prepared to give quick answers to police.
It is infuriating, they
don't want to dip onto profits for the expense to keep a master program going that allows quick information.
I hope they've gotten better since I worked dispatch. Even with the exigent circumstances process, the companies were often painfully slow and difficult to deal with. With smaller companies we'd sometimes have trouble even getting in contact with anyone.

Listen to her interview. Narcissists can not hide their personalities. They are known to be emotionally and verbally abusive without empathy. I’ve yet to hear a sincerely empathetic comment from her statements but she has thrown shade at bio mom and praised herself.
In addition through the babysitter's interview step mom accused Albert of spanking but not herself--- which is a terrible way to treat someone who has lost their child.

In my experience as a dispatcher, the exigent circumstances process could be used to obtain location information for a phone belonging to the person in danger and not much else. They could've used the exigent circumstances process to get information on Gannon's phone, but they'd almost certainly need a warrant/subpoena to get info on anything else, like a family member's phone. It was an issue I ran into in similar cases.

I'm so glad you are here, @lucidtx !

Your experience and knowledge is very helpful to us and valuable for these cases.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members