IN - Grandfather charged in cruise ship death of toddler Chloe Wiegand #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if anyone who saw SA on the floor hadn't seen Chloe and thought the "elderly gentleman" had suffered a heart attack/stroke or passed out from the heat/humidity? What is most peculiar is that SA was not calling out for help or pleading for someone to rescue his grandchild on the concrete dock below. I guess he figured it wasn't necessary to cry out for help because he knew that Chloe wouldn't survive the 150 foot fall.

you got it. All that drama like he was expecting a round of applause or attention to himself and not Chloe.

Wth was that about?

SA missed the master thespian/masterclass session. (All MOO of course)
giphy.gif

Watch SA's immediate reaction after Chloe has fallen from his hands. He drops to the floor. That is not what every other human being would do if a baby unexpectedly falls out of your hands. You'd instinctively reach and try to grab the baby, or any object that UNEXPECTEDLY falls from your hands. Then you'd practically dive out the window, trying in vain to grab the baby/object. You'd watch the fall trying to comprehend what you are seeing. It would take a moment to process this event, because it's impossible, yet it is happening. You'd scream NOOOOOO.... Because without exception, the first emotion is denial. Unless you've already planned the event out and are not surprised by the fall because you had time to process it as you planned it.

It takes three seconds to fall 150 feet. In the video what is Anello doing in the three seconds after Chloe disappears from the screen? He's keeping his fat butt safely inside the railing.

For me this is the most persuasive argument supporting the "premeditated" theory.
Excellent post, that is exactly how I felt seeing SA fall to the ground, I would have almost had my whole body out of the window trying to grab Chloe.

you got it. All that drama like he was expecting a round of applause or attention to himself and not Chloe.

Wth was that about?

SA missed the master thespian/masterclass session. (All MOO of course)

It quickly became all about him, and I'm sure that some folks who witnessed the "elderly" man on the floor didn't realize what had just happened.

NEW DOCUMENT

ROYAL CARIBBEAN CRUISES LTD.’S AMENDED MOTION TO DISMISS THE COMPLAINT FOR FAILURE TO STATE A CAUSE OF ACTION
Case 1:19-cv-25100-DLG
Document 30 Entered on FLSD Docket 02/12/2020

New Motion to Dismiss 2-13.pdf

23 PAGES

Reading through it now but for the most part, appears to be the same as the previous motion to dismiss just without the parts about the video and the photos.

From the amended Motion to Dismiss so kindly posted by Kindred above;

"...this is a case where an adult man, Salvatore Anello, voluntarily and unbeknownst to RCL, lifted his 18-month old granddaughter several feet above the deck and onto a railing that she could never have climbed on her own. In doing so, Mr. Anello placed Chloe mere inches away from a window that was open to the outside elements of wind and noise and, as the photographs in the Complaint show, was flanked by closed windows of tinted, reflective glass. Mr. Anello then purportedly held Chloe forward to allow her to bang on glass that he did not first attempt to touch himself."

Bingo.

Still reading through but this filing appears to have taken the judges admonition to heart. Focused entirely on the allegations made by MW.

Also from the amended Motion to Dismiss;

"(the Complaint establishes that Chloe could have never gotten anywhere near the open window had Mr. Anello not intentionally placed her there)."

MW went out of his way to establish that SA could barely reach the glass so clearly 18 month old 32" tall CW could never have accessed the window by herself. Also, SA has claimed that he couldn't hardly touch the glass at deck level so he knew that CW couldn't which is why he decided to lift her up. Touche RCCL!

And on the color blind claims;

"The Plaintiffs allege that Mr. Anello is colorblind (Comp. at ¶50), but this condition would not give rise to a duty to warn that the window was open. The Eleventh Circuit has explained that the “[t]he obviousness of a danger and adequacy of a warning are determined by a ‘reasonable person’ standard, rather than on each particular plaintiff’s subjective appreciation of the danger. Individual subjective perceptions of the injured party are irrelevant in the determination of whether a duty to warn existed.” Magazine, at *4 (citations omitted)."

In other words RCCL is not liable for any physical imparements that prevented SA from recognizing what any reasonable person would recognize as a clearly dangerous situation.

Just
From the amended Motion to Dismiss so kindly posted by Kindred above;

"...this is a case where an adult man, Salvatore Anello, voluntarily and unbeknownst to RCL, lifted his 18-month old granddaughter several feet above the deck and onto a railing that she could never have climbed on her own. In doing so, Mr. Anello placed Chloe mere inches away from a window that was open to the outside elements of wind and noise and, as the photographs in the Complaint show, was flanked by closed windows of tinted, reflective glass. Mr. Anello then purportedly held Chloe forward to allow her to bang on glass that he did not first attempt to touch himself."

Bingo.

Still reading through but this filing appears to have taken the judges admonition to heart. Focused entirely on the allegations made by MW.
Just finished reading the amended Motion to Dismiss by RCL. Succinct, substantiated and adhering to the points of the plaintiffs complaint. IMO, very persuasive, but I don’t have any legal background.

Without the ability to include photos/ video, I think RCL’s attorneys were very effective at painting a verbal picture of the extent of SA’s recklessness, with repeated iterations throughout the body of the filing.

Will be very interesting to see if this case is now dismissed by the judge in Miami.

This revised Motion to Dismiss seems much more well written IMO.

"Because Mr. Anello’s conduct was not foreseeable, this tragedy was not foreseeable. RCL had no duty to protect Chloe against Mr. Anello’s conduct. SeeMonteleone, 838 F.2d at 65 (shipowner not an insurer of passenger safety and does not become liable merely because an accident occurs). This is because RCL does not have a duty to protect against unforeseeable acts committed by a third-party. SeeH.S. v. Carnival Corp., 16-20331-CIV, 2016 WL 6583693, at *3 (S.D. Fla. Nov. 4, 2016) (“where an intervening criminal act is the cause of a plaintiff’s injury, carriers may only be liable in negligence where the intervening criminal act was foreseeable”), aff’d sub nom. H.S. by & through R.S. v. Carnival Corp., 727 F. App’x 1003 (11th Cir. 2018). The threshold issue of determining whether a defendant owes this duty turns on whether the defendant had reason to anticipate that the third-party activity would occur on its premises. Knight v. Philips South Beach, LLC, NO. 09-20473, 2010 WL 11601873 at *4-5 (S.D. Fla. Nov. 4 2010). Absent similar past conduct, the law will not deem a third-party’s act to be foreseeable to the defendant."

The original motion tried to go for the kill with the video evidence. This one just relies on the law.

Good read, thanks so much Kindred, you rock!
I’m not a lawyer but it appears to me that RC covered all their bases. Would love to see some of our attorneys here weigh in though. :)

From Page 6

ARGUMENT AND LAW

The facts set forth in the Complaint make clear that this is not a case of an unknowing child approaching an open window and falling out because the window was defective or improperly positioned. Rather, this is a case where an adult man, Salvatore Anello, voluntarily and unbeknownst to RCL, lifted his 18-month old granddaughter several feet above the deck and onto a railing that she could never have climbed on her own. In doing so, Mr. Anello placed Chloe mere inches away from a window that was open to the outside elements of wind and noise and, as the photographs in the Complaint show, was flanked by closed windows of tinted, reflective glass. Mr. Anello then purportedly held Chloe forward to allow her to bang on glass that he did not first attempt to touch himself. After doing so, Mr. Anello allowed Chloe to slip from his arms to her death. These series of unforeseeable events are a tragedy which RCL never had a chance to prevent. Whether Chloe fell several feet to the Deck 11, or over a hundred feet to her death, her fall would never have occurred had Mr. Anello not picked her up and placed her in peril, and then dropped her.
The Court should dismiss Plaintiffs’ Complaint because:

1.No facts are alleged that would show RCL knew or had reason to know there was any dangerous condition that would result in Chloe’s death;

2.RCL owed no duty to warn Plaintiffs of the open and obvious danger associated with putting a child onto a railing and through an open window; and,

3. Plaintiffs fail to sufficiently allege that any of RCL’s purported acts or omissions was the proximate cause of the incident or that they owed a duty to prevent the unforeseeable and irresponsible acts of Chloe’s grandfather.

Last edited:
OT but M Winkleman in the Washington Post about “hearing from people” in Japanese Port being quarantined due to corona virus on board a Princess ship. Maybe he’ll get busy with new cases and this one falls by the wayside. Where it should fall.

ETA. https://apple.news/AqMGseQnqTdi_QqDMxlQgkg

Got it.
Yup. He’s loving all the publicity his form got, and can’t wait to start some law suits with some money a possibility.

NEW DOCUMENT

ROYAL CARIBBEAN CRUISES LTD.’S AMENDED MOTION TO DISMISS THE COMPLAINT FOR FAILURE TO STATE A CAUSE OF ACTION

23 PAGES

Reading through it now but for the most part, appears to be the same as the previous motion to dismiss just without the parts about the video and the photos.

Thanks yet again Kindred! Great read IMO. I truly hope the judge dismisses the case this time around.

Interesting, looking back on some early MSM coverage. TheSun in U.K, July 12
"The family's lawyer Michael Winkleman told Sun Online that the cruise operator Royal Caribbean have "outright refused to produce the video" of the incident which is the "most crucial piece of evidence" in the tragedy." bbm
^ Cruise tot's family furious after firm 'refuses' to hand over CCTV of death fall

But a couple weeks ago, didn't Winkleman say - RCL vids are deceptive.

And moved to strike. :oops: o_O :confused: :rolleyes:

If not for the fact that KW was a deputy prosecutor, I could see her going into "attorney mode." But how can any prosecutor suggest that the man who killed her own child should not face criminal charges?! How unbelievably hypocritical is that? She makes her living ensuring that people are prosecuted for (and hopefully convicted of) the crimes they have committed. Yet, she goes on national news saying how wrong it is that the man responsible for her daughter's death is being prosecuted! The only conclusion I can draw is that she now hopes to make her living by cashing in on her daughter's death.

To have both a cop and a prosecutor arguing for the man who killed their daughter is beyond anything I can even comprehend. It would certainly take away from their credibility on the job!

Makes you think about her integrity and as a prosecutor on her selection of evidence used depending on who is being persecuted. I'd say that AW is in a position to be overruled by KW professionally and in this case personally by KW considering it's her "step" dad as the perpetrator.

Interesting, looking back on some early MSM coverage. TheSun in U.K, July 12
"The family's lawyer Michael Winkleman told Sun Online that the cruise operator Royal Caribbean have "outright refused to produce the video" of the incident which is the "most crucial piece of evidence" in the tragedy." bbm
^ Cruise tot's family furious after firm 'refuses' to hand over CCTV of death fall

But a couple weeks ago, didn't Winkleman say - RCL vids are deceptive.

And moved to strike. :oops: o_O :confused: :rolleyes:

A) RCCL offered to show the Wiegand's the video before they even left PR in July. They refused to view it.
B) MW got access to the video once SA was charged.
C) MW was showing an edited version of the video to select media outlets for weeks prior to it being aired on PR tv.

MW had no problem with the video until it got into the public domain and it became clear how badly the full unedited video made SA look.

I also always thought a person’s first inclination , after something valuable, in this case a precious baby, falls out of a window would be to reach out and try to retrieve. Also, I always was surprised he didn’t scream NOOOO.... or CHLOEEE... or something other type of exclamation. And I don’t think he did.... at least at the time he dropped her..... because people didn’t start running over until he’s on the ground.

Seems extremely odd, but then again, all people are different and react differently.

I thought this was odd too! You're holding a baby near what is clearly an open window (forget the whole "I thought the window was closed" argument). You don't have a close enough grip on her to grab her when she starts to fall and your reflexes are so slow you can't reach out lightning fast to grab her. I don't see ANY movement on SA's part that indicates any type of last minute, arms outstretched, attempt to grab CW. No matter how futile, how out of your reach she is... don't you at least try?? It's like he let's go, she falls forward and he falls backwards! In the interview he says "I watched her fall the whole way down." How? Not out the window. And I don't think the lower window would have had the angle to see the dock, I could be wrong about that. But at least from the video it appears he immediately falls to the ground and I'm not connecting how he could also watch her fall. How do you let go of your granddaughter and your first instinct is to fall backwards, not lean forwards with arms outstretched, even if she's already too far away? I've dropped sunglasses, drinks, lots of things other than a HUMAN BEING and my natural reaction is to reach my hand out to try to catch it, not shrink away. So odd!

Yup. He’s loving all the publicity his form got, and can’t wait to start some law suits with some money a possibility.
What lawsuits do you think negligent grandfather can start? He’s not legally eligible to file wrongful death suit so I’m interested in your opinion and what I’m missing. o_O

NEW DOCUMENT

23 PAGES

Big thanks for contributing the docs @Kindred! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member