FL FL - Carla Roberson, 19, Escambia County, 10 May 1984

Gardener1850

Timeline Guru (Still Remembering Cupcake)
Reaction score
[h=1]Carla Roberson[/h]
  • carla_roberson_1.jpg
Roberson, circa 1984

• Missing Since 05/10/1984
  • Missing From Escambia County, Florida
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Date of Birth 07/10/1964 (53)
  • Age 19 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'2, 130 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description A red bathing suit.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Red hair, green eyes.

[h=3]Details of Disappearance[/h] Roberson was last seen in Escambia County, Florida on May 10, 1984. She left her aunt's Pensacola, Florida home to read and sunbathe alone at the beach at Fort Pickens, which is located on the Gulf Islands National Seashore on West Santa Rosa Island, Florida. She promised to be back by 5:00 or 5:30 p.m., but she never returned and has never been heard from again.

Her vehicle and purse were discovered abandoned at the entrance of Fort Pickens shortly after her disappearance. Her towel, pocketbook and shoes belongings were found on the beach, and one set of footprints leading to the water.

Roberson lived in Montgomery, Alabama at the time of her disappearance. She had a part-time job at a doctor's office and had just completed her sophomore year at Huntingdon College. She went to Florida to spend a few weeks with her aunt and uncle before returning home to start the summer term at college.

Authorities believe Roberson may have drowned, but they have also looked into the possibility of foul play in her case. Her disappearance remains unsolved.

http://charleyproject.org/case/carla-roberson

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/25294/

I find it unusual that a fair skinned, red haired, green eyed girl would intentionally sunbathe. She wouldn’t tan, she’d burn.

She was on vacation after school ended for the semester and was expecting to attend summer session. That’s a lot of pressure. What was her state of mind? Did she seem excited for her future?

I find it unusual that a fair skinned, red haired, green eyed girl would intentionally sunbathe. She wouldn’t tan, she’d burn.

She was on vacation after school ended for the semester and was expecting to attend summer session. That’s a lot of pressure. What was her state of mind? Did she seem excited for her future?

I had red headed freckled cousin that tanned her entire life. She didn't care what it did to her skin. My DD is a strawberry blonde with a red heads fair complexion. Against my advice she tanned through her mid 20s till she finally realized what she was doing to her skin.

So her purse was in the car it seems.
It seems contradictory though. Maybe they meant her actual purse was in the car and she only took her wallet to the beach?

Her vehicle and purse were discovered abandoned at the entrance of Fort Pickens shortly after her disappearance. Her towel, pocketbook and shoes belongings were found on the beach, and one set of footprints leading to the water.

Makes you wonder if she took her wallet with money out and left her actual purse in car. I’ve done this before, now I carry my cell case with my cards and money when I don’t want to carry my entire purse, so that could be it. Footprints to the water in sand? So no one else was at the beach before they located her? I don’t know.

Does seem a bit of an odd case. Did she go to a secluded beach to meet someone? Did she get caught in a riptide? Or did she go with the intention of never returning?
If she did drown, why didn't she or her clothing wash up on shore, eventually?
PS...Reply from LE was "good find", and questioning if I worked for LE or MP org. Oh well...

Does seem a bit of an odd case. Did she go to a secluded beach to meet someone? Did she get caught in a riptide? Or did she go with the intention of never returning?
PS...Reply from LE was "good find", and questioning if I worked for LE or MP org. Oh well...
Lol what did you say?

CRoberson.jpg

Name: Carla Roberson
Case Classification: Endangered Missing
Missing Since: May 10, 1984
Location Last Seen: Pensacola, Escambia County, Florida

Physical Description
Date of Birth: July 10, 1964
Race: White
Height: 5'2"
Weight: 130 lbs.
Hair Color: Blond/Strawberry
Eye Color: Green
Nickname/Alias: Unknown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Unknown

Identifiers
Dentals: Available
Fingerprints: Not Available
DNA: Not Available

Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing: Bathing suit.
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: Unknown

Circumstances of Disappearance
Carla Roberson was last seen on May 10, 1984 in Escambia County, FL. She left her aunt's house in Pensacola and had gone by herself to the beach to sun bathe and has not been seen nor heard from since.

Roberson's car and purse were found abandoned at the Fort Pickens entrance parking lot. Her blanket was located on the beach with one set of footprints leading to the water. She is considered a possible drowning victim.

Investigating Agency(s)
Agency Name: Escambia County Sheriff's Office
Agency Contact Person: N/A
Agency Phone Number: (850)-436-9599
Agency E-Mail: N/A
Agency Case Number: 953256
NCIC Case Number: M-122493720
NamUs Case Number: 25294

Information Source(s)
NamUs
Escambia County Sheriff's Office
North American Missing Persons Network
957DFFL - Carla Roberson

I'd like to know the actual beach she went to. I feel like it's a clue because beaches generally have reputations (at least here in FL). Some are on public land, some are on government land (Air Force base, some are known for nudity, some are know for gay hookups, etc.) Did she go to a county park / beach area or was it simply a beach access with a dirt parking area? Is it a beach in the bay area or actually an ocean beach?

upload_2020-2-18_9-37-43.png

I'd like to know the actual beach she went to. I feel like it's a clue because beaches generally have reputations (at least here in FL). Some are on public land, some are on government land (Air Force base, some are known for nudity, some are know for gay hookups, etc.) Did she go to a county park / beach area or was it simply a beach access with a dirt parking area? Is it a beach in the bay area or actually an ocean beach?

View attachment 232915

It's a part of the Gulf Island National Seashore, with it sandwiched between the Gulf of Mexico and Pensacola Bay.
I do remember going to beaches in SWFL, alone with a book in the 80's, and not thinking anything of it.
According to Namus: "Roberson’s car and her purse were found abandoned at the Ft. Pickens entrance parking lot."

30.325819, -87.195226
Entrance Station at Ft. Pickens, which looks like it still retains a small parking area. So the parking lot may have been there with crushed shell or paved.

NOV 15, 2021
Detectives seeking new leads in 37-year-old missing person cold case | WKRG
[...]

19-year-old Carla Roberson was last seen on Pensacola Beach on May 8, 1984. Her car was found a day later, on May 9, 1984, parked in the Park West parking lot on Pensacola Beach. ...

[...]

If you have any information about Carla Roberson’s whereabouts or disappearance, call the Escambia County Sheriff’s Office at 850-436-9620.

COLD CASE UNIT – Escambia County Sheriff's Office (escambiaso.com)

Carla Roberson
Nineteen year old white female Carla Roberson was last seen at a relative’s home in Pensacola on the morning of May 8, 1984. Carla Roberson’s vehicle was observed in the area of Pensacola Beach on the late night of May 8, 1984, and Carla Roberson could not be found.

957DFFL - Carla Roberson (doenetwork.org)

Circumstances of Disappearance
Carla Roberson was last seen on May 10, 1984 in Escambia County, FL. She left her aunt's house in Pensacola and had gone by herself to the beach to sun bathe and has not been seen nor heard from since.

Roberson's car and purse were found abandoned at the Fort Pickens entrance parking lot. Her blanket was located on the beach with one set of footprints leading to the water. She is considered a possible drowning victim.

Carla's NamUs profile has been modified today, December 27th.
As of today, she has 4 rule outs on her profile:
UP6279 12/18/1996 Fairfax VA
UP15630 07/03/1984 Cuyahoga OH
UP6796 11/18/1985 Alleghany VA
UP12683 06/06/2014 Newport News VA

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads