KS - Layne Mays, 22, murdered by her brother, 27, Overland Park 14 Jan 2020

Layne's obituary in part reads:

Layne is survived by her sister Chloe, brother Parker, and parents Kevin and Tamra. As well as her beloved cat Ariel and horse Austin. The family invites you to celebrate Layne’s wonderful life during a Vigil Service on Friday, January 17 at 6:00pm and Funeral Mass on Saturday, January 18 at 1:30pm. Both services will be held at St. Michael the Archangel Catholic Parish.

Layne would like us all to remember her with the following quote she so cherished: “Family, where life begins, and love never ends”.

My Lord, it's hard to read her being survived by Parker. I guess they have to write that stuff but jeez...that's harsh. RIP Layne. May you find your true family in heaven.

IF you spoke to high school classmates of my younger brother they would tell you he was hilarious, popular with the girls, and a great athlete. Everyone loved him.

But if you spoke to people who new him after he was about 20, they'd describe him in totally different ways. He had adult onset schizophrenia and became a VERY different person.

Looking at Parker's IG, I see similarities to my brother, back then. The 'mystery' of the missing city, and him taking credit for it, and the scribbled directions on the notepad---posted as 'evidence.' So much like my brother. So many paranoid conspiracies that he felt compelled to explain to us. The CIA was in contract with him, but communicated by Television shows, specifically Johnny Carson speaking to him in code. And he'd transcribe Johnny's commentary and underline the code words and translate what they really meant...:rolleyes:

So similar to what Parker was posting 6 days ago....the same time frame his sister was killed...:(

<modsnip>

This sad story really hits close to home for me. I always worried that my brother might do something like this someday, which he never did, thank goodness, may he RIP.

He was not a violent person but he heard voices and was delusional at times. And he had been arrested a few times over the years for scufflers with others where he was confused and reacting erratically.

So sorry to hear about your brother.
His illness would have affected the entire family, and as you state, he was lucky in that everyone was safe.
Thank you, with your account, as having info given to us, about such situations, is most informative.
Here, his sister was murdered, and all are devastated.

The racism was a huge clue evidently unheeded, at least in a serious manner; but we live in an era of fealty to such horror. The "They moved Baldwin" rant, however, was proof positive that he had, so to speak, gone mental, and should have been looked after closely, locked unit required.

He seems like he is drunk, doesn't it? And is he wearing pink pastel fingernail polish??
I know he was into 'psychedelic' rock. You can find pics of him online.

I think the nice boy my daughter knew was probably depressed when she knew him. It only worsened as he went off to college. It seems he had no job ..no way to make money. Just played music and drew pictures.

I can't imagine this goes to trial. SURELY he will plead out.

I watched for about 30 minutes. Absolutely fascinating. His soliloquy and "vignettes" never had uhs or hummms. And he really pronounced his "ts". His stream of consciousness was separated by long sighs. Was he drunk? Drugged? Fascinating and weird.

I picked up on the same things. Part of me was thinking its a brilliant sort of niche comedy: "schizophrenic standup" or something like that. His annunciation was impeccable. It was stream of consciousness, but with a theme that involved lots of "thumbs up" and sarcastic "good for you" kind of punch lines.

It had a professional feel to it, with a nice backdrop, filmed in B&W.

I kept expecting to get the "joke" and had the feeling that he was probably making a lot of sense to himself; His delivery was so polished and confident that I found myself worried that I wasn't getting the joke, because it was going way over my head.

His observation that a bakery that sold cakes should be called a "cakery". . . that was probably his best line.
Also on his YouTube channel was a video uploaded the day before the murder. There's lots of driving, and the audio is garbled and painful to listen to.
IMO

Those hands. Look at those hands.

I turned the video off in under five minutes. Murderers have little to teach us, nor is it particularly interesting to listen to their rants. I care only that he killed his sister. Why did he? He was racist garbage. Is that reason enough? What would be?

He strangled his own sister to death. Throw away the key.

Last edited:
Thank you for sharing. I have worked as an RN on an inpatient intensive psychiatric unit for many years and see so many patients who suffer with schizophrenia. However, I really appreciate your post as it is a glimpse through the eyes of an immediate family member.

So often on the unit, family members are either still in a sense of shock because of the new diagnosis to their loved ones OR they (family members) are simply absent. I can’t blame the absenteeism completely because staff often witnesses the disease at its worst and I am sure it is heartbreaking and terrifying to loved ones. And as with all mental illness (and disease processes in general), family can feel very helpless. On the other hand, a healthy support system is necessary and it’s sad that the hallucinations and delusions associated with the disease progression tend to work against all involved.

I’m finding it hard to say this without implicating because I only know what little I have read here regarding this case..so I’ll attempt to say it this way: If PM has indeed been diagnosed and suffers from mental illness and IF he is indeed responsible for his sisters death, it would be beneficial to remember that everyone suffers from such tragedy. And by everyone, that would include him. I’ve never met a patient who wasn’t tormented in one way or another due to/with their mental illness.

All IMO
Thank you for sharing. I have worked as an RN on an inpatient intensive psychiatric unit for many years and see so many patients who suffer with schizophrenia. However, I really appreciate your post as it is a glimpse through the eyes of an immediate family member.

So often on the unit, family members are either still in a sense of shock because of the new diagnosis to their loved ones OR they (family members) are simply absent. I can’t blame the absenteeism completely because staff often witnesses the disease at its worst and I am sure it is heartbreaking and terrifying to loved ones. And as with all mental illness (and disease processes in general), family can feel very helpless. On the other hand, a healthy support system is necessary and it’s sad that the hallucinations and delusions associated with the disease progression tend to work against all involved.

I’m finding it hard to say this without implicating because I only know what little I have read here regarding this case..so I’ll attempt to say it this way: If PM has indeed been diagnosed and suffers from mental illness and IF he is indeed responsible for his sisters death, it would be beneficial to remember that everyone suffers from such tragedy. And by everyone, that would include him. I’ve never met a patient who wasn’t tormented in one way or another due to/with their mental illness.

All IMO

Well said... I currently work in an acute psych unit as an RN, and what you just described is spot on. It’s incredibly sad to see what people go through, as well as the families, when they are at their worst. More times than most, the families are absent or ashamed of their loved ones actions and/or behaviors.. but, It seems as PM’s family still supports him since they have not omitted his name from the obituary. Praying for all of them...

Did I miss something? Has this fellow been diagnosed with mental illness and is this documented, or is this some received notion based on the assumption an upper-middle-class family could never be possessed of a member who is a murderer unless....?

I'm not praying for him. I too assumed the above until I stopped and thought.

Did I miss something? Has this fellow been diagnosed with mental illness and is this documented, or is this some received notion based on the assumption an upper-middle-class family could never be possessed of a member who is a murderer unless....?

I'm not praying for him. I too assumed the above until I stopped and thought.
Our first clue that he has a mental disorder is he murdered his sister. However, it doesn't make what he did right or excusable.

Our first clue that he has a mental disorder is he murdered his sister. However, it doesn't make what he did right or excusable.
Well, our first clue was earlier, when he claimed a small Kansas city, home to an excellent private university, had been "moved." I'm talking about diagnosed. We all hasten to give the fellow the benefit of the doubt when those of less fortunate circumstances might be branded, just, KILLER. One we throw in prison and toss away the key; the other is "afforded treatment." Why? Why do we not see him as just some racist *advertiser censored* who strangled his sister?

Could be because his dad is a child/adolescent psychiatrist- we are really assuming he must have been diagnosed.

Anyone have a clip of him ranting about Baldwin City moving? (Yes Boston--glad you know about Baker University!).
Did he rant about this the day before he killed his sister? Could the two be related--was it an address she gave him in Baldwin City? or did she laugh at him when
he told her Baldwin City was moved?

I couldn't help but notice his hands either. There is also a color 'home movie' of him. Can't see his head. It is really weird.

It could also be meth. Same symptoms. Also if you take meth while on a ssri, very bad things happen. My ex swung at me with a metal bat in a fit of delusions....police said it was serotonin syndrome.I got out of that with only a broken foot thankfully.
Also, my fiancee now had a brother, fabulous artist and meth addict who also would attack family during his delusional periods and was pretty dangerous. He perished mysteriously in a house fire five years ago...I have his art in my house, and it's clear when the real mental breakdown started occurring due to use that lasted until his death.
Maybe he's schizo, maybe it's meth. Time will tell.

<modsnip>

I posted last night regarding the unfortunate situation that many face who may have mental illness. Many people may say they feel no pity for someone that did such a horrible act of violence to their loved ones... and I have to honestly say that I would have felt the same way prior to directly working with individuals dealing with an acute mental illness. When I was offered a job to work as an RN in a psychiatric unit, I wasn’t quite sure if I had the empathy for it, mostly because I have never encountered anyone (friends/family/myself) that had any pronounced signs of mental illness. Just after the first few shifts, I couldn’t believe how eye opening it was for me and how naive I was to it. Most that I treated had mental health issues that stemmed from chronic drug use unfortunately. I could go on and on... but the sad truth is that mental health and psychiatric disorders do not discriminate and there should be more resources to help those that suffer from it.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is my understanding that Meth works on the dopamine receptors and SSRI’s work on the serotonin receptors. Most antidepressants work on serotonin receptors but there are some that work on dopamine such as Wellbutrin. I’ve had serotonin syndrome before due to antidepressants and taking Tramadol (non narcotic pain medication) for an injury. I never became violent. I just became sick to my stomach, dizzy, and increased heart rate. I also know that using meth while on antidepressants doesn’t always cause people to become violent. Meth use is not good of course but not everyone on meth behaves the same way. Medications and drugs can affect every person differently. This is also why it can take years to find a medication that works for some people.

Not trying to be rude but I just wanted to clarify because while there’s always a possibility he was on drugs that led to his actions, we cannot generalize a group based on some people’s experiences. I’ve done this unintentionally myself before. We do not know why he did what he did or what caused it at this point.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knownstranger07
Back