Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Emergency #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Iran's health ministry reported a 5th death on Saturday, a day after Israel and Lebanon confirmed their first cases.

China coronavirus outbreak: All the latest updates

Iran will close schools, universities and educational centres in two central cities to prevent the spread of coronavirus.

The shutdown would begin on Sunday and last two days in Qom - where two people have died from the virus - and a week in Arak.

Last edited:
:eek::eek:Seven cruise ships to house Wuhan medical workers

The first of these ships, the Blue Whale, arrived in Wuhan, the epicentre of the outbreak, on Friday from Yichang, a nearby city down the Yangtze River.

The seven ships will provide 1,469 beds in total.

Last edited:
Seven cruise ships to house Wuhan medical workers

China is bringing in seven cruise ships to house medical workers in wuhan.

The first of these ships, the Blue Whale, arrived in Wuhan, the epicentre of the outbreak, on Friday from Yichang, a nearby city down the Yangtze River.

Err, that's maybe not such a good idea?

A 20-year-old Chinese woman from Wuhan travelled 675km (400 miles) north to Anyang where she infected 5 relatives, without ever showing signs of infection, Chinese scientists reported, offering new evidence that the virus can be spread asymptomatically.

Last edited:
Will he be put in quarantine once he returns to the US?

My guess, is he will be flagged to be asked to do 2 weeks home isolation due to his history when he returns (he's now on the "no fly list" by the US government. ) Whether he will do so or flaunt going out to dinner in California remains to be seen. I'll try to follow with updates I find on the threads.

Kuwait's civil aviation authority has decided to stop all flights to and from Iran amid fears from coronavirus outbreak, the state news agency said, citing an official statement.

Kuwaiti nationals arriving from Iran will be subjected to quarantine, adding that residents or those with entry permission who were in Iran during the past two weeks will be barred.

Moreover, any foreign travellers coming from Iran will also be denied entry.

Last edited:
I hear supply is controlled and getting supplies are slow. That is understandable since these PPE's must be sent to areas where the need is great.

I work in a hospital and a few weeks ago our supply of N95 masks specifically (which all units with airborne rooms had on hand in our supply room) have been removed from our units and supply controlled by our inventory department
We do mandatory daily checks of our airborne rooms to make sure the negative pressure works properly and also to make sure the alarms sound if negative pressure drops due to IE: doors being left open

Earlier this year our Infection Prevention department refitted all staff again to make sure we were properly fit tested for N95 masks incase the masks we were fitted for previously still worked for us.
Thank goodness for me, I am now fit tested for a different style/size N95 mask than what I was fitted for 9 years ago.

COVID-19 is being treated as a triple precaution Airborne, Droplet and Contact.
For my unit we have come up with an "emergency" tote with all the supplies needed to set up our room quickly and kept in the managers office N95 masks (all types and sizes) full face shield, disposable isolation gowns, and nitrile gloves in all sizes.

Thanks for the update, Intermezzo,
good to know you're protected and a strategy has been put in place.

Seven cruise ships to house Wuhan medical workers

China is bringing in seven cruise ships to house medical workers in wuhan.

WTH, they are bringing in petri dishes for the health care workers? WTH????

The mayor of a district in Iran's capital Tehran has tested positive for coronavirus

The director of public relations for district 13 initially had denied Rahmanzadeh had contracted the virus.

Kianoosh Jahanpour, a spokesman for the Iran Health Ministry, confirmed that 5 people have died and 28 people have tested positive for it.

Coronavirus updates: Cases in South Korea surge as U.S. prepares for pandemic

Last edited:
Thanks for the update, Intermezzo,
good to know you're protected and a strategy has been put in place.

Thank You
Every time I see a news report I cant help but notice that masks are not worn properly and hope these people are safe.
Even though you must be fit tested for the proper size and style of N95 masks and shown how to wear it properly its better than nothing I guess.
The other masks, ones with visors and ones without are also not worn properly I notice.

A story you all will enjoy.....
A week ago, I go online to purchase N95 masks. Find a great site that said "not made or shipped from China." Ok, that's good.

A week later it has shipped and sitting in a post office in Seoul, South Korea. I think I will let those sit in the garage for awhile if they ever make it here. Lol

What a difference a week makes.....

5 to 10 days for virus lifespan on surface areas.

Henry, do you mind if I ask you a few questions?
Do you expect them within a week?
Will your level of reassurance go up upon receipt?
Did you order them as a precautionary measure?
Do you live in area with test positive cases?
When and where will you begin to use them?

Untraceable coronavirus cells emerge in three countries amid pandemic

Doctors are unable to identify the source of coronavirus clusters in South Korea, Singapore and Iran, the World Health Organization said Saturday.

Doctors began floating fears of a pandemic — which occurs when a disease spreads to two continents — on Friday as two more died in Iran, the number of cases in South Korea doubled, and Italy saw its first death.

NY Post:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost...-emerge-in-three-countries-amid-pandemic/amp/

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/coronavirus-covid-19-iran-bc-south-korea-1.5472316
''1st case in Canada with no connection to China

Canada's ninth presumptive case of coronavirus is a woman in her 30s who recently travelled to Iran and is now recovering at home in British Columbia.

Health officials were surprised to learn she had not travelled to China or any of its neighbouring countries, and have classified the case as a "sentinel event" — one that originated from a region that is completely unexpected.

Dr. Bonnie Henry, B.C.'s provincial health officer, said they are investigating where the woman may have contracted the virus, working alongside the Public Health Agency of Canada. The woman had a travelling companion, was visiting family and is now in isolation at home.

"Until very recently, we didn't consider Iran as a place of transmission of COVID-19," Henry said in an interview. "So that set off quite a number of warning bells for us."

Henry said the investigation continues into where the woman travelled, but she hadn't been to the city of Qom, where a handful of cases have been recorded. "She did report at the airport [in Tehran] that there were quite a lot of people who were sick and who were wearing masks," she said.

The answers are important to public health measures aimed at containing the virus, such as whether Canada should expand its border-screening questionnaires for travellers from places beyond the epicentre in China's Hubei province.''

Tallahassee manufacturer could be closing due to coronavirus outbreak

The tech-company, which makes heating and air conditioning systems, is completely dependent on the Chinese supply chain.

The supplier of a critical component, a special magnet, is located close to the affected area in Wuhan, China, where transportation and manufacturing has ceased. The Tallahassee manufacturer began to see the impact on February 10 and anticipates it will come to a head in about 10 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88