Mugging ofa 6 year old

gman20001969

Reaction score
Copied from USAToday

Cops: 6-year-old mugged outside Fla. convenience store

Two men mugged a 6-year-old boy outside a convenience store Friday evening in Florida, according to police.
"Deputies said the boy told them he was headed to a convenience store in Lakeland to get groceries for his grandmother when 20-year-old Julio Ortiz and a friend demanded that he hand over his $10 bill," WFTV-TV reports. "When the boy refused Ortiz punched him and the other guy grabbed the cash."
The Ledger says the boy ran home crying. When he returned 30 minutes later with his mother, police had already taken Ortiz into custody for an unrelated violation, according to WTVT-TV.
None of the reports has information about the second suspect. A police report posted online identifies him as a 17-year-old who allegedly threatened the victim after his arrest.
"I'm gonna stomp your [expletive] if you press charges," the teenage suspect was quoted as saying in the police report.
Both suspects denied stealing the boy's money.
(Mugshot of Ortiz from Polk County Sheriff's Department)

Many of the local governments in Florida do a great job providing information to the public through the Internet. Here's the entry for this case that's posted on the Polk County sheriff's website:

This story is bad on 2 fronts. First, what kind of a-hole takes moey from a 6 year old? Next, who sends a 6 year old to the store? Even if the store was 2 houses down, would you send the kid to the store? I think I was about 10 when I was allowed to ride my bike to the grocery store. I took shortcuts, rode across a street without a stop sign and then the backway of the store. All the kids did. But this was also the late 70's. It's a shame what our society has come to since.

It's amazing what some folks will do for a crack fix.

This is going to sound rather mean.... really I hope when the little said that the police holding him, OOPS! accidentally tripped his snotty mouth right into the police car.
I do find some fault in letting the 6 YO walk to the store on his own...
But then again at 6 he is probably going into first grade and therefore his mother no longer has to be at the bus stop with him (most FL schools have a policy of having to be there for Kindergarten students but not beyond)
So there is probably no difference in the mothers mind of letting him walk to the store alone.

Personally I don't care what the policy stated I would still be at the damn bus stop... But for many parents if someone in authority (like the school system) says its ok then it must be safe.

OMG Thats pathetic. So the mother probably headed down there to sort them out herself and I cant say I blame her.

I walk my daughter to school, and you would be amazed at how many people let there very young children walk alone. This little boy that is in kindergarden walks a good few blocks to school by himself..middle of winter and all he had on was a hoodie. So many parents dont pay attention to the well-being of their children.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back