WA WA - Elma, AsianFem 25-40, 330UFWA, Sz6 pearl Avon ring, gold earring w/5 blue sapphires, Oct'88

Those earrings are very similar, if not identical, to a popular design found in SE Asia (Cambodia, Thailand, Laos) when I lived in the region in the early 90s. They were no doubt popular before that since the design was widespread when I lived there. Washington took a lot of SE Asian refugees in the 80s and 90s from Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam (https://www.census.gov/srd/papers/pdf/ex89-02.pdf). I'm assuming since it was so long ago that no isotype or DNA was conducted on the remains? Or any origin-testing on the sapphires in the earrings?

Another thought...does anyone have contact with ColdCaseMan who posted most of the information in the early days of this case and according to his profile last logged in during May 2018? He made a number of suggestions early in the case about the UID being Cambodian and went as far as trying to contact all the local people of Cam.heritage that had migrated from Cambodia. I feel like I have value to offer as I am a member of a number of online groups related to this heritage and also a deep personal connection.

I have contacted a prominent Cambodian community organization on the west coast to see if they can assist in putting the word about this case out into the community. It can’t hurt to ask!

I submitted her to DNA Doe - this is the case that drew me to WS. The fact that ColdCaseMan also worked on another of their successful cases ('Lyle Stevik') makes me hopeful they will take this on eventually. In my mind it means that they were able to work well with the LE and ME to identify 'Lyle' so perhaps they'd be happy to work with them again.

She is now listed as a pending case on the DNA Doe Project Facebook page:

--- PENDING ---

• 1988 Grays Harbor Co Jane Doe (WA) NamUs #UP12855 - at lab for sequencing.

I know, it’s WONDERFUL! she had the same investigator as ‘Lyle Stevik’ and although he is retired I really hoped they would take on this referral. It’s going to be a tough ID I think.

This is the case that drew me into WS as I have strong connections to the part of the world she was from.

Still waiting for her to get out of sequencing and I'm devastated thinking she may never be identified. If she is Khmer then her family will have already been through so much in the Khmer Rouge era (noone escaped being affected in some way) to have this happen is so unjust. I hope @othram or someone else has been asked to help.

Still waiting for her to get out of sequencing and I'm devastated thinking she may never be identified. If she is Khmer then her family will have already been through so much in the Khmer Rouge era (noone escaped being affected in some way) to have this happen is so unjust. I hope @othram or someone else has been asked to help.
She is in active genealogical research now!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back