Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting and encouraging

a coalition of European researchers says that already approved drugs might hold the key to treating the new virus.

“Drug repurposing is a strategy for generating additional value from an existing drug by targeting diseases other than that for which it was originally intended,” said Denis Kainov, the senior author on the paper and an associate professor at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology. “For example, teicoplanin, oritavancin, dalbavancin and monensin are approved antibiotics that have been shown to inhibit corona- and other viruses in the laboratory.”

The researchers reviewed information on the discovery and development of broad-spectrum antiviral agents (BSAAs), which are drugs that target viruses from two or more different viral families. They summarized what they found for 120 drugs that had already been shown to be safe for humans use and created a database, which is freely accessible. Thirty-one of these were found by the researchers to be possible candidates for prophylaxis and treatment of the COVID-19 infections. The researchers also found that clinical investigations have recently begun of five possible drug candidates to treat COVID-19.
more:
Existing Drugs Could Be Key To Combatting Coronavirus Outbreak

There are two people who died. They both are extremely recent. I believe the first was the woman last night, and the second was the man this morning. Obviously, they prepared for the presser without knowing about the second death. Not too bizarre imo.

Tne 19-year old male is in Seattle, WA

Where did the 50 year old woman die?

I am confused.

Slightly OT. I'm most worried about my 84 year old mom who is quite frail. We aren't taking her anywhere for a while. We shopped for her yesterday and got enough for 2 weeks although I worried I should get more. I encouraged her to go out for fresh air on her scooter but not to stop anywhere. We live very close so we do her yard work, trash pick up, light housework, etc. We're doing all we can to keep her safe and healthy. Now I wish this flu would go away!
Hope your mom will be ok. :)

I keep thinking stay away from airports or wherever people are returning from abroad/overseas (from heavily infected areas) but maybe that's not enough precaution ?

Medical expert on coronavirus: Don't panic, 'prepare for the worst right now'
".....One thing Parekh believes people should not be doing as part of their prep is rushing to stock up on surgical masks.
“You should not be walking around with face masks. The individuals who need face masks are those who are infected, health care workers or those potentially that have been exposed. But if you are a healthy American, you do not need to be walking around with a face mask.” ..."

Not sure a face mask would do any harm, though ?
My doctor wears one quite a lot in the winter months for office visits (getting a prescript. of antibiotic for my chronic bronchitis), he says he's avoiding germs.

Last edited:
This is very bad....

Dr Jeff Duchin, Seattle & King County Public Health: 3 new presumptive cases #COVID19, including one person who died. 2 cases associated with long-term care facility called Life Care. One health-care worker, woman in 40s. No known travel outside US. Second woman in 70s, resident.
Meg Tirrell on Twitter

Seattle & King County’s Dr Jeff Duchin says of long-term care facility: 108 residents at facility, about 180 staff. Among residents reports that approx 27 have some sort of symptoms and among staff approx 25 #COVID19
Meg Tirrell on Twitter
BBM

This is what I was afraid of.

This is very bad....

Dr Jeff Duchin, Seattle & King County Public Health: 3 new presumptive cases #COVID19, including one person who died. 2 cases associated with long-term care facility called Life Care. One health-care worker, woman in 40s. No known travel outside US. Second woman in 70s, resident.
Meg Tirrell on Twitter

Seattle & King County’s Dr Jeff Duchin says of long-term care facility: 108 residents at facility, about 180 staff. Among residents reports that approx 27 have some sort of symptoms and among staff approx 25 #COVID19
Meg Tirrell on Twitter

And THIS is the VULNERABLE POPULATION, folks.

I hope the CDC council or whatever that governmental committee is, will place an emphasis on THESE high-risk populations and free up funds for them.

The people in care centers are almost universally on Medicare or Medicaid or both. Their caregivers, who are also at high risk are CNA's or other lower-level healthcare providers who are paid quite low wages These are people with families with young children, etc. I doubt they have the money to spare to buy materials for self-quarantine, and then ===

What does the care facility do without those healthcare workers?

I am confused.

Earlier:

2 New Coronavirus Cases Confirmed In Washington

Health officials said the teen is a student at Jackson High School and had not attended classes since before he exhibited symptoms. The school will be closed Monday to allow for a "deep cleaning."

Everett Public Schools said the "few who were in contact" with the student will be tested, along with boy's family members, on Saturday. The school district sent a letterto families Friday.

In King County, public health officials said a woman in her 50s tested positive after returning from travel in Daegu, South Korea. She went to work in the Seattle area on Tuesday and began to notice symptoms by the end of the work day. King County Public Health said the woman had a "mild illness" and was being monitored in isolation at home.

Earlier:

2 New Coronavirus Cases Confirmed In Washington

Health officials said the teen is a student at Jackson High School and had not attended classes since before he exhibited symptoms. The school will be closed Monday to allow for a "deep cleaning."

Everett Public Schools said the "few who were in contact" with the student will be tested, along with boy's family members, on Saturday. The school district sent a letterto families Friday.

In King County, public health officials said a woman in her 50s tested positive after returning from travel in Daegu, South Korea. She went to work in the Seattle area on Tuesday and began to notice symptoms by the end of the work day. King County Public Health said the woman had a "mild illness" and was being monitored in isolation at home.
But who died?

And THIS is the VULNERABLE POPULATION, folks.

I hope the CDC council or whatever that governmental committee is, will place an emphasis on THESE high-risk populations and free up funds for them.

The people in care centers are almost universally on Medicare or Medicaid or both. Their caregivers, who are also at high risk are CNA's or other lower-level healthcare providers who are paid quite low wages These are people with families with young children, etc. I doubt they have the money to spare to buy materials for self-quarantine, and then ===

What does the care facility do without those healthcare workers?

Yes, its terrible that the disease is now being spread to people living in nursing homes. :eek:

Sorry OT. I sure do. Nice to see you too. Stay healthy! :)

It’s always extra awesome when members with positive energy join us, especially during a “Global Crisis”. :D

Speaking of “positive energy”, hollering @zencompass - I could use some zen before I go to Target again, not looking forward to it. In fact, @MJPeony , I too may bust out my giraffe suit/mask, which in the past was reserved specifically for Chris Watts court hearings and throwing stones.

It’s always extra awesome when members with positive energy join us, especially during a “Global Crisis”. :D

Speaking of “positive energy”, hollering @zencompass - I could use some zen before I go to Target again, not looking forward to it. In fact, @MJPeony , I too may bust out my giraffe suit/mask, which in the past was reserved specifically for Chris Watts court hearings and throwing stones.

What if the giraffe suits start going out of stock?:eek:

I am confused.

I’m guessing the woman in her 50s is the one who visited Korea. Not sure.

ETA:
Actually, let me refrain from making any guesses right now.

Dbm.

What is the status of the patient in Solano County who was in serious condition and intubated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member