Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #9

Status
Not open for further replies.

US ups travel restrictions as Trump says more cases 'likely'

WASHINGTON, D.C. – The U.S. is banning travel to Iran in response to the outbreak of the new coronavirus and elevating travel warnings to regions of Italy and South Korea...

I'm pleased to hear about additional travel bans. When DH and I returned from our annual winter cruise on February 1, flights to/from China were about to be curtailed until at least April. After we deplaned and made our way to baggage claim, passengers were being paged for final boarding for flights to Shanghai and Beijing. We later learned that these would be the last two flights from DTW to China, and that one final flight from Shanghai was expected to arrive on Sunday. I think banning incoming passengers who have potentially been exposed to the virus is highly beneficial to preventing further spread of the disease. I hope and pray that Americans will be healthy and that few will be impacted by this virus.

Last edited:
I guess their worried about mass hysteria.

I was just coming here to say that IMO, the last two Presidential briefings reek of a casual-type tone exactly so as to not induce mass hysteria and panic, mooooooo jmooooo. At first I found it irritating Mooooooooooooo but realized the motive behind it JMOoooooooo

Last edited:
Interesting and encouraging

a coalition of European researchers says that already approved drugs might hold the key to treating the new virus.

“Drug repurposing is a strategy for generating additional value from an existing drug by targeting diseases other than that for which it was originally intended,” said Denis Kainov, the senior author on the paper and an associate professor at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology. “For example, teicoplanin, oritavancin, dalbavancin and monensin are approved antibiotics that have been shown to inhibit corona- and other viruses in the laboratory.”

The researchers reviewed information on the discovery and development of broad-spectrum antiviral agents (BSAAs), which are drugs that target viruses from two or more different viral families. They summarized what they found for 120 drugs that had already been shown to be safe for humans use and created a database, which is freely accessible. Thirty-one of these were found by the researchers to be possible candidates for prophylaxis and treatment of the COVID-19 infections. The researchers also found that clinical investigations have recently begun of five possible drug candidates to treat COVID-19.
more:
Existing Drugs Could Be Key To Combatting Coronavirus Outbreak

Thank you for this post. It gives me hope!

This is such a terrifying situation. I am deeply saddened by all of the deaths from this terrible Coronavirus. I know we all are.

I am hoping and praying that it can at least be slowed down and then contained. Somehow.

I do have hope, balanced with the belief that more has to be put in place by governments.

Ecuador’s Health Minister Catalina Andramuño Zeballos said a more-than-70-year-old Ecuadoran woman who lives in Spain arrived in the country on Feb. 14 showing no symptoms of illness.

“In the following days she began to feel badly with a fever,” Andramuño said at a news conference, adding that she was taken to a medical center. The National Institute of Public Health and Investigation in Ecuador confirmed the virus.

The deputy minister of health, Julio López said that the patient’s condition was “critical.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/the_americas/ecuador-reports-1st-new-virus-case-mexico-confirms-a-third/2020/02/29/aa89792c-5b1b-11ea-8efd-0f904bdd8057_story.html?outputType=amp

Where was the 50 year old "wonderful woman" that the President announced died of COVID-19 infection.

I understand that a 19-year old male died in Seattle, and my sincere condolences to his family, his friends, and his caregivers.

But where was the death announced this morning in the governmental press conference?

Where was the 50 year old "wonderful woman" that the President announced died of COVID-19 infection.

I understand that a 19-year old male died in Seattle, and my sincere condolences to his family, his friends, and his caregivers.

But where was the death announced this morning in the governmental press conference?
Where did you find that the 19 year old died? I’ve been trying to validate if that’s true and I can’t find anything.

Senior administration official blames CDC director for Trump and Pence saying victim was woman

Asked about why President Trump and Vice President Mike Pence described the Washington patient who died from the novel coronavirus as a woman when in reality the patient was a man, a senior administration official placed the blame on the director of the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

“Dr. (Robert) Redfield briefed the VP and POTUS after speaking with Washington State health officials that it was a woman. Washington State has since corrected," the official said.

CNN Health is reaching out to the CDC for reaction.

Reuters) - The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) on Saturday said it will allow some laboratories to immediately use tests they have developed and validated to achieve more rapid testing capacity for the coronavirus in the country.

The policy cleared the way for state public health labs to immediately begin local testing and possibly get results within hours, which public health officials say will be critical to a rapid response to the fast-spreading virus that originated in China.

"Under this policy, we expect certain laboratories who develop validated tests for coronavirus would begin using them right away prior to FDA review," Jeff Shuren, the director of the FDA's Center for Devices and Radiological Health, said in a statement.

On Saturday, New York Governor Andrew Cuomo said his state would immediately begin using its own test kit developed in-state. The state's Department of Health on Friday filed an emergency application with the FDA to request permission to do so.

"We just received word that our test has been approved by the FDA. New York State will begin testing immediately at Wadsworth Lab," the governor said in a statement, referring to the state's lab in Albany.

FDA to allow some labs to use coronavirus tests prior to review

And THIS is the VULNERABLE POPULATION, folks.

I hope the CDC council or whatever that governmental committee is, will place an emphasis on THESE high-risk populations and free up funds for them.

The people in care centers are almost universally on Medicare or Medicaid or both. Their caregivers, who are also at high risk are CNA's or other lower-level healthcare providers who are paid quite low wages These are people with families with young children, etc. I doubt they have the money to spare to buy materials for self-quarantine, and then ===

What does the care facility do without those healthcare workers?

Ironically, the nursing home industry has an extremely powerful and well-funded lobbying industry behind it. The industry also donates a LOT of money. I see them all the time when I'm lobbying in DC or at the statehouse. They will get whatever they need to protect the financial interests of the nursing home business itself.

Hopefully, some of that money will also help improve care and protect patients and employees, too.

Where did you find that the 19 year old died? I’ve been trying to validate if that’s true and I can’t find anything.

This is even stranger:

KOMO news in Seattle is reporting it was a 50-yr old MAN that died.

First US death from coronavirus confirmed in Washington state

The Washington State Governor's website is even more cryptic about it:

Inslee statement on death in Washington state from COVID-19 | Governor Jay Inslee

How can the news be so utterly messed up?

A man in his 50s with underlying conditions on Saturday was reported as the first covid-19-related fatality in the United States.

Jeffrey S. Duchin, the chief health officer for Seattle and King County, Wash., said the death occured at EvergreenHealth hospital in Kirkland, Wash.

Earlier in the day, President Trump described the patient as a “wonderful woman” and a “medically high-risk patient,” at a news conference at the White House.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wa...a-9b35-def5a027d470_story.html?outputType=amp

Breaking news on KIRO channel 7 a local news outlet here in Seattle. The officials and doctors are discussing the first death in the US. The patient was at Evergreen Hospital in Kirkland, WA.
It should be on all the local news stations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288