Found Deceased ID - Joshua Vallow, 7, & Tylee Ryan, 17, Rexburg, Sept 2019 *mom arrested* #25

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess we are assuming the man with Chad was a son?? But were there any other people on his side that were identifiable? My guess is that between Justin and Nate...they will be able to collect a lot of the names of the folks behind the prosecution...
None of Chads kids were there with him. MSM said he was driven away by his lawyer. I suspect the two men with Chad were legal support.

I agree. I wondered, though, if the judge could have required her to comply with the Jan 30 court order to produce her kids as a condition of bail...maybe not, but if I were the judge (or prosecutor) I sure would have researched that possibility.
THIS! Why wouldn’t this be a part of her bail stipulation? It seems logical.

I guess we are assuming the man with Chad was a son?? But were there any other people on his side that were identifiable? My guess is that between Justin and Nate...they will be able to collect a lot of the names of the folks behind the prosecution...

Not a son in sight.

You hear of judges throwing people in jail for contempt of court all the time. And not letting them out until they abide by whatever court order they didn’t follow that got them tossed in jail for contempt in the first place.

Lori is already in contempt of family court for not producing the children. Why can’t a family court judge just toss her and her smug look in jail immediately and keep her there until she produces the kids or is convicted in district court?

There was a point in the hearing when the prosecutor was talking about the kids that I felt like Lori quickly tried out different facial expressions—-like “should I look wistful? Sad? No, back to defiant I think.”

Her bail is 1,000,000...If she pays them directly she has to pay the full million herself, then and only then if she complies with everything would it be refunded. If she has to seek a bond, likely she will because she does not have $1,000,000, that is where the 10% comes into play and then the bondsman puts up a surety for her basically. The bondsman then keeps the 10% as their fee, so if this is the case, she does not get the $100,000 back they keep it.

@ReadyorNot

IF someone posts bail, unless someone directly has a cool mil to give directly to the court, she will have to pay a bondsman $100,000 that is NOT going to come back to them...the bondsman will put up the remainder of the million....they take the 10% as their "fee" essentially...then if she runs, doesn't appear, etc, the bondsman is on the hook for it all and therefore will hunt her down...

Awesome!

Anyone with any theories on her being able to travel around to adjacent counties? The judge rattled off quite a few. I thought that was interesting- So far Madison and the neighboring county are all we know of being associated with her. Curious as to who or what the authorities might hope she visits...

I agree. I wondered, though, if the judge could have required her to comply with the Jan 30 court order to produce her kids as a condition of bail...maybe not, but if I were the judge (or prosecutor) I sure would have researched that possibility.

I am not a lawyer but legally I think that may be tricky because it may contradict her 5th amendment right not to self incriminate now that she has been criminally charged.

Her bail is 1,000,000...If she pays them directly she has to pay the full million herself, then and only then if she complies with everything would it be refunded. If she has to seek a bond, likely she will because she does not have $1,000,000, that is where the 10% comes into play and then the bondsman puts up a surety for her basically. The bondsman then keeps the 10% as their fee, so if this is the case, she does not get the $100,000 back they keep it.

@ReadyorNot
Do you also have to put up the one million in collateral?

I doubt Lori and Chad will stay in the house where Tammy died. All the reporters will be camped out there. If Lori gets out then they will probably stay with CP or another loyal AVOW member who believes the hogwash about this all being a "misunderstanding". MOO.

If Chad and Lori do stay in the house Chad shared with Tammy, I hope Tammy reaches out from the other side of that veil Chad talks about and takes care of business.

I understand that this is all part of the process, but the waiting game is extremely frustrating considering there are still two children missing.

Agreed. We got what was expected today and I assume that's why there was no discussion of the documents the defense requested. Next step Prelim Hearing 3-18/19. Here's what we can expect:

Initial Appearance (Today)
The first time someone accused of a felony sees a judge, it is an "Initial Appearance." The judge at an Initial Appearance is a "magistrate" judge. The Initial Appearance must generally occur within 24 hours of a person's arrest. At the Initial Appearance, the magistrate judge must advise the defendant of the following:

• The Defendant is not required to make a statement and that any statement may be used against the defendant;
  • The nature of the charge or charges;
  • The Defendant's right to bail;
  • The Defendant's right to counsel (if the Defendant is unable to afford an attorney, one will be appointed at public expense)
  • The Defendant's right to a Preliminary Hearing, the nature of the Preliminary Hearing, and the effect of a waiver of a preliminary hearing; and
  • The Defendant's right to communicate with counsel and immediate family, and that reasonable means will be provided for the Defendant to do so.
Because the Initial Appearance happens so quickly (and it should), you may not have had the time to retain an attorney. Don't worry, there is typically a public defender present at the Initial Appearance to protect your rights. If you decide to hire an attorney after the Initial Appearance, it won't be an issue.

Preliminary Hearing (Two weeks)
The next hearing that happens is the Preliminary Hearing. If you are in custody, the hearing must occur within 14 days; if you are out of custody, the hearing must occur within 21 days. The judge at a Preliminary Hearing is also a "magistrate" judge. It won't necessarily be the same one that conducted the Initial Appearance; don't worry if it isn't. A preliminary hearing is the State's opportunity to convince a judge that there is "probable cause" to believe a crime has been committed and that you committed it. "Probable cause" is a fairly low amount of evidence; much lower than the "beyond a reasonable doubt" standard required at a trial.

Nevertheless, the State must call witnesses to establish "probable cause" and the rules of evidence generally apply (with a few exceptions). That means witnesses with first-hand knowledge must come into court, be placed under oath, and answer questions. Although defense attorneys are permitted to ask questions, this is not a trial and many times the questions are limited. Not because they have to be, but because the defense attorney wants to "keep his or her powder dry" for trial. Because the "probable cause" standard is so low, it rarely does much good to call into question a witnesses testimony at the preliminary hearing stage.

It is important to note, if the State is not ready to proceed at the time set for the Preliminary Hearing, it can, in most instances, simply dismiss and re-file the case and that starts the clock all over again. It doesn't seem right, but it is!

If the State establishes "probable cause" you will be sent to appear in the district court. If the State fails to meet its burden, the case will be dismissed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member