Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #18

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t know how they are defining “need to be tested”, but last week there were 10,000 people in isolation of some sort due to coronavirus, and there are many people with flu-like symptoms that are not included in those numbers.

And the state of California has 39 million people.

Only 1,075 have been tested. Of those, 157 positive cases so far.
As someone who has worked in a lab I can’t help but wonder if there is a bit of a learning curve with running the tests. I don’t know the details of these specific kits but if there are new testing procedures you can’t run a bunch at once and expect good results (I would hope there are internal standards to show correct testing). There is a bit of a curve. When I worked in the vet toxicology lab when I would run a new test I would only be able to do a couple. Then with practice you can do more and more in a day. Personally I would rather have a few run properly than a bunch run poorly. IMOO. Again I don’t know the SOP (standard operating procedures) for the tests or how drop in they are compared to current testing being conducted so I can’t judge how quickly they should be run. If they are all new for everyone it’s going to be slow at the beginning. That’s the other advantage of having CDC confirm the tests, if they are familiar with testing protocols they would be the final say versus someone new to the testing. As things roll along I imagine it will fall back to states as they can show they are preforming the tests properly and competently. Again IMOO.

For the next 14 days I will worry about the doctor’s office, the aerosol of poo water from the park bathroom and the lady who so kindly coughed at my face yesterday.

I know it's just baseless superstition on my part, but I've always felt that dwelling on stuff like that becomes a self-fulfilling medical prophecy! When I find myself going there, I try to revert to "happy" or "neutral" mental images. A bird outside my window, the fact that no one has coughed in my face TODAY, yadda, yadda. It's like mental gymnastics, but I'm not always sure which muscles I should be exercising!! IMO

At my local WMT the cashiers are always sick , way before novel Corona. I wipe all of my stuff off before putting it away, only because they have touched it. It takes only a few minutes to wipe can goods and packaged items.
I had one cashier that was so ill I asked “why are you here, you’re obviously sick?” She told me (as she wiped her nose) that she would be fired if she called in. She was disgusting.
Now the cat’s out of the bag regarding the Cynthiana, KY WMT deli/bakery employee that nearly died from Covid19, Walmart had no option, imo. In all honesty, it will never be known exactly how many ended up infected from shopping at WMT.
I’m confused by “Walmart had no option.”

How does this make any sense?

"The 34 passengers from Georgia will be taken home for self-quarantine."

"Other passengers from the East Coast will stay at Dobbins and Clay National Guard Center in Cobb County for 14 days."

Something is off about this.
If you are lucky enough to live in Ga, you get to go home?
Moo
More than 250 quarantined cruise ship passengers headed to Dobbins Air Reserve Base tonight
They are quarantined in Georgia. So they ones who live there, can go home and self-quarantine. The ones that don't live in Georgia can't do that.

93 in Canada?! whhhatttttt?!
I thought we were at 41 or so!

94. Alberta cases started 6 days ago with 3, then 7 and today 14. Ontario has 35, BC has 39.

"One of B.C.’s confirmed cases of the new coronavirus is responsible for a presumptive case in Alberta, health officials in that province announced Sunday — marking the first instance of spread between provinces.

Alberta’s chief medical health officer Dr. Deena Hinshaw said the Edmonton-area case first announced Friday, a man in his 40s, had visited Michigan, Illinois and Ohio and was travelling with a companion from B.C.

The B.C. man had been on the Grand Princess cruise ship"​

Coronavirus cases in Alberta and B.C. are linked. What does that mean for further spread?

upload_2020-3-10_18-56-21.png

WASHINGTON

Asked by reporters whether he was considering mandatory measures like school closures statewide, or just in hard-hit areas, Inslee said he expected to have news on that "in very short order."

"Shutting down any social activity has profound consequences in people's lives," said Inslee. "You have to see if there are ways to reduce them or ameliorate that."

"If there are 1,000 people infected today, in seven to eight weeks there could be 64,000 people infected in the state of Washington if we don't somehow slow down this epidemic," Inslee said. "And in the next week it could be 120,000 and in the next a quarter of a million."

There were reports following Inslee's briefing that he suggested a statewide lockdown was possible.

"He did not say that," Inslee spokeswoman Tara Lee said in response to a question on these reports.

Washington state could have 64,000 coronavirus cases without 'real action,' governor warns
So awful, people don’t know they are carrying it and they are spreading it everywhere they go. Yet, my understanding is if tested they would be negative due to the incubation stage.

So awful, people don’t know they are carrying it and they are spreading it everywhere they go. Yet, my understanding is if tested they would be negative due to the incubation stage.

Although there are tests for the virus, I think more could be done to perfect the test. If someone is infected, it should be possible to detect that infection without symptoms. If someone is recovered, one test should be sufficient to conclude a negative result.

However, it seems that the test today is more effective with symptoms and after 2 negative tests.

The problem is that we don't have any immunity to this virus. It seems like. If someone with the Chicken Pox came on a bus, 90% of the people would have already had it, or a vaccine. That leaves 10%, who may not even be close enough to the person to catch it.

This virus, 100% of the people could catch it. Big difference.

I’m confused by “Walmart had no option.”
Moo! But from what I hear, calling in sick was never a good idea for hourly employees if they wanted to keep their job. Now, they have no option, imo, after an employee “possibly” spread covid19 to any number of unsuspecting people. However, it sure isn’t her fault, she got it from someone......
Walmart was exceedingly slow coming forward to confirm their employee was diagnosed with covid19, even though the locals knew. Imo, the store needed to be closed for 24 hours and thoroughly cleaned, but they ultimately decided to “sanitize” during biz hours.

As someone who has worked in a lab I can’t help but wonder if there is a bit of a learning curve with running the tests. I don’t know the details of these specific kits but if there are new testing procedures you can’t run a bunch at once and expect good results (I would hope there are internal standards to show correct testing). There is a bit of a curve. When I worked in the vet toxicology lab when I would run a new test I would only be able to do a couple. Then with practice you can do more and more in a day. Personally I would rather have a few run properly than a bunch run poorly. IMOO. Again I don’t know the SOP (standard operating procedures) for the tests or how drop in they are compared to current testing being conducted so I can’t judge how quickly they should be run. If they are all new for everyone it’s going to be slow at the beginning. That’s the other advantage of having CDC confirm the tests, if they are familiar with testing protocols they would be the final say versus someone new to the testing. As things roll along I imagine it will fall back to states as they can show they are preforming the tests properly and competently. Again IMOO.
And yet somehow other countries have been testing thousands, every day, for weeks.

Although there are tests for the virus, I think more could be done to perfect the test. If someone is infected, it should be possible to detect that infection without symptoms. If someone is recovered, one test should be sufficient to conclude a negative result.

However, it seems that the test today is only effective with symptoms and after 2 negative tests.

Iirc the virus is here to stay but immunity will eventually develop. Moo I’ll look later, my battery is dead.

I know I am joining this forum very late and probably asking annoying questions. Sorry! Supposed to fly into the Los Cabos airport in a few days and then stay a resort in San Jose Del Cabo. Would you worry about the cruise ship with coronavirus that stopped in Cabo? Grand Princess I think Feb 21. So 14 days are up, but are there many test kits in Cabo San Lucas? Would you worry about a resort in SJDC that is 50 minutes from the port in Cabo San Lucas?

I am youngish and healthy so hoping to still go!

I know I am joining this forum very late and probably asking annoying questions. Sorry! Supposed to fly into the Los Cabos airport in a few days and then stay a resort in San Jose Del Cabo. Would you worry about the cruise ship with coronavirus that stopped in Cabo? Grand Princess I think Feb 21. So 14 days are up, but are there many test kits in Cabo San Lucas? Would you worry about a resort in SJDC that is 50 minutes from the port in Cabo San Lucas?

If the Grand Princess docked there on Feb 21st, I 100% would not go. Completely MOO.

I take them to mean if you have a slight cough or low grade fever, to remain home. I know a few people that did go to their GP with moderate symptoms, they were sent home, no test scheduled, they are NOT in the high risk group, they are under 50 with no compromising medical probs. They were told to rest, drink fluids, take OTC pain reliever & the dr. Calls them daily to ask what their temp is.
And we heard the PC today, “no one can ask for the test, it is up to their doctor.” There was confusion bc the WH did say “anyone that wants a test can get a test.....”.
Ok, thank you, Trudie. So, them going to the doc did expose others. Which I guess is my point. Best to just stay home unless symptoms get to the point one can’t handle them at home. I’m a retired RN, and very independent, so, I’m totally good with staying at home. I do understand though, how lay persons wouldn’t know what to do, and some might not feel confident enough to care for themselves. They should do what they need to do.

BTW, I stocked up on Sambucol, aka Black Elderberry... which is known to shorten life of the flu. I know it helped me when I had a bad case a few years, and made me a believer.
Also read it is useful for the herpes virus, which to me really indicates it is truly an antiviral. So, I’m thinking it could also be useful against Corona. No guarantees of course, but surely can’t hurt.

The students are being told not to come back after spring break—online classes. People are going to be MAD about this. I think this is too much, personally. I know at my daughter’s university (the 1st to close for the rest of the quarter) one dept. cancelled finals and made all classes pass/fail at the last minute. Students and parents FLIPPED OUT. That is not the kind of class they registered for and worked for all quarter for to just get “credit.” They decided to change it back to graded. Thank goodness! I thought it seemed lazy on their part—like they were using the situation to just be done with it. Students (especially out of state and international) have paid a fortune for these classes and to be blown off and grades not counted? I don’t think so. I don’t think students paying for Harvard are going to let this fly either. Harvard prices for online classes? Nope!

I'd rather finish my year online than have my promising future cut short by contracting a deadly virus. But that's just me.

I would worry about the possibility of not being allowed back into the United States, if you are not a citizen. Or being put in a 14 day quarantine if the virus statrts hitting hard there, when you come back to the United States.

This situation is fluid, and changing, almost hourly. Just be cognizant that changes out of your control may happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken