Found Deceased CO - Gannon Stauch, 11, Colorado Springs, El Paso County, 27 Jan 2020 **ARREST** #35

Status
Not open for further replies.
It isn’t though, that’s my point. If a juror opposes the death penalty, there is still absolutely no reason to hang the jury in the guilt phase.

That’s because all they have to do is reject the death penalty in the penalty phase. Both have to be unanimous in Colorado.

Regardless, I can’t imagine the death penalty being put on the table here. It has no teeth anyways.

This ain’t Texas.

Logically you are correct, of course, @MassGuy. But that may not be the way things shake out.

A juror who was initially "death-qualified" may discover during the guilt phase he/she has qualms about the DP that he/she honestly didn't know were there. And if that happens, the bar for conviction for that one juror may change (even at an unconscious level) well before the penalty phase. After all, there isn't an objective and immutable definition of "reasonable doubt."

Of course, in general, it's said death-qualified jurors are more "law and order" types and are more likely to convict. But since the verdict in the guilt phase isn't a "majority rule" (in 49/50 states, that is) Argument preview: Court to consider whether right to unanimous jury verdict applies to state criminal trials - SCOTUSblog
one juror's qualms about the DP could derail a conviction. We do tend to have illogical ways to deal with the anxiety cognitive dissonance may cause!

Since CO won't carry out the DP, it seems risky to me to ask for it. I think it would also make certain aspects of the trial more expensive.

JMO

Sorry @Feistyomi. I meant no disrespect to your state.

Being from NC, I have some vague awareness of income levels in neighboring states. SC's median household income of $50, 572 is ~ $9,800 lower than the median for the US. South Carolina State Household Income | Department of Numbers

NC's median of $52, 752 is ~ $7,500 below the US median so not that different. North Carolina State Household Income | Department of Numbers

I am more familiar though with county to county differences in NC. And Robeson Co, where TS is originally from, is one of the poorest counties in the state. According to this link, Census profile: Robeson County, NC the median household income is ~ $35, 000 and the percentage of people living below the poverty line (~24%) is double the percentage for the US and 1.5 times the percentage for the state.

That doesn't mean TS grew up poor or that if she did, that her mother and other family members are still without economic resources. But it wouldn't surprise me if her family members can't afford to travel to CO to stay for extended periods or afford to fly back and forth.

I agree that what GS's parents are going through emotionally to attend court must be excruciating. But from an economic perspective, there have been attempts to raise money for them to support their various needs while they get through this. I don't think anyone will be supporting LS's family...I'm not saying anyone should (at all!) but I'm not sure we can know where LS's family stands because economics may play a role in their absence (assuming they remain absent.) Of course, once a jury is seated I expect the defense attorneys would like to have some family in court supporting their client.

JMO
No apologies needed, I enjoy you educating me. On this issue, I am under no illusions...GAL issue was another example, we discussed... I actually considered becoming one, and knew it is a very strenuous process, w/o legal background... not something I felt to be a fit for Letecia. Life throws curves, premie grandson, elderly mom, and so I volunteer in areas w/ severe economic challenges, disaster relief, homes rehab, unbelievable poverty, challenges for both our states...you are right to remind us that Leticias family may not be able to travel to Colorado Springs...at this point I have a degree of pity for them, until I know more...I do feel that when I fully recognized the pain my sister caused and drew my line in the sand, enough! I meant it. After that, had she committed this crime, I would not show any public support. So I expect it to be much more complicated, as you pointed out. I have a compassionate personality, but I have learned to spot the true victims. I particularly dislike bullies...I think you and I are on same page... there is so much good in our states, but we have a ways to go!

I don't even think she cares. She seemed indifferent to me. She just looked angry and disinterested as if she's not at all interested in the proceedings. She probably thinks it's a waste of time because she had nothing to do with it.

Imo
I thought she looked hopeless and embarrassed. Maybe it's finally sinking in, she has no social media audience to play to anymore.

Some pointed out that the color of her inmate wear indicates she is in segregation. That must be hard for her. All alone, replaying Gannon's death in her head non-stop. Those torturous thoughts probably aren't allowing her to sleep at night.

It’s very risky especially if they need a unanimous verdict in first phase just to get a conviction. Which I doubt they’ll get if DP is on table. Also I doubt they would vote unanimously for DP in the penalty phase. And even if they did, none of those cases will end in death, as they’ll all be rescinded anyway.

But that has nothing to do with the DP as a bargaining chip in any particular case. This might be a case where specific facts might warrant using it as an attempt to bargain, as perhaps the defendant is not so confident as you are that it is impossible.

I've been trying to figure out what LS kept looking at. She is looking too high up to be looking at the parents. At 4 minutes in she does so once just briefly.

IMO she is scanning over the public attending to see in her peripheral whether faces are turned towards her.

I think she planned to punish him for something he did on Sunday. Or maybe Saturday. She doesn't have to plan to kill him as that's not what Colorado statute requires. Any abuse of a child that results in death is Murder One (planned or not). So, if you are caring for children under 12 in Colorado, you probably ought not to plan to abuse them, either. Because if they die during that abuse or because of it, it's murder one.

As it should be. And what constitutes abuse? That's up to the good people of El Paso County to decide.

If there's blood "all around the house" and it's Gannon's blood, and then Gannon is put into a one way truck ride that doesn't end up in the ER....letting him die will still be Murder One.
I really, really like that law, I wish other states would have similar. It takes all the ifs, ands and buts out of caregivers' responsibilities. IOW it's nice and clean; like you said, "So, if you are caring for children under 12 in Colorado, you probably ought not to plan to abuse them, either. Because if they die during that abuse or because of it, it's murder one."

Yep.

2. Her defense attorneys need to stop the laughter and ‘lighthearted banter’, and remain professional. This is a hearing related to a child’s murder. Show respect for the parents of a deceased child sitting feet away from you, and for the judicial proceedings themselves. Kudos to the prosecution, law enforcement, court staff, and the entire gallery for their composure.
I was thinking the same thing! Nothing about today was a laughing matter. She just kept smiling and laughing. Ugh!

bbm
I don't even think she cares. She seemed indifferent to me. She just looked angry and disinterested as if she's not at all interested in the proceedings. She probably thinks it's a waste of time because she had nothing to do with it.

Imo
I agree that LS believes she was not responsible for Gannon's passing, but it's a 'technicality' argument she can not win.

LS seems unable or unwilling to understand a similarity between inadvertently murdering someone and gravely injuring someone and ignoring the opportunity to prevent their passing that could result from said injury.

The person could be held responsible for the death in either scenario.

I thought she looked hopeless and embarrassed. Maybe it's finally sinking in, she has no social media audience to play to anymore.

Some pointed out that the color of her inmate wear indicates she is in segregation. That must be hard for her. All alone, replaying Gannon's death in her head non-stop. Those torturous thoughts probably aren't allowing her to sleep at night.
Yeah. Oh well.

A picture is worth 1000 words, and I believe this one captures the essence of LS throughout this entire ordeal. She can hide from the cameras. She can hide from the public. She can attempt to hide from the family of the child she murdered. That’s fine. We can be patient. Justice will find her.

EA5A5FC5-6279-491E-AF26-668A6000C51D.jpeg

Moo

I was thinking the same thing! Nothing about today was a laughing matter. She just kept smiling and laughing. Ugh!
I just watched and the difference between the professionalism of the prosecutor versus the defense attorneys is palpable. They need to clean it up! I can’t fathom why they chose to present themselves in such a manner! Sorry, but I am triggered by this and had to vent. There is no way I would be talking to TS like that during the hearing either - she can wait! Sometimes it may be necessary at a trial or substantive motion hearing to confer instead of listening, but I can’t imagine a valid need for it today, it was all too bizarre...MOO....

I've been trying to figure out what LS kept looking at. She is looking too high up to be looking at the parents. At 4 minutes in she does so once just briefly.

IMO she is scanning over the public attending to see in her peripheral whether faces are turned towards her.
I wouldn't be surprised if she was in fear for her life, even sitting in that court room surrounded by LE, what with the "20 death threats" tally count leading up to the 'Cousin Itt' interview and who knows how many added since. It's as if she feared it, and didn't want to see it coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong