Coronavirus - COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #22

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are a couple of things online to be aware of:

There's serious malware online that looks like the Johns Hopkins map so please be careful and make sure you have the real link. "He explained this data allowed cybercriminals to steal credit card numbers, login credentials and other sensitive information."
Hackers hiding malware in bogus map of Covid-19 spread, says cybersecurity firm

On social media a letter has been going around telling people to hold breath for 10 seconds to check for lung fibrosis, etc. Snopes has declared that false.
No, Holding Your Breath is Not a 'Simple Self-Check' for Coronavirus

Coronavirus updates: Borders shut as coronavirus cases rise - BBC News

Latest headlines from around the UK

The total number of confirmed cases in the UK has risen to 798 - up from 590 on Thursday.

Health officials have said they believe the actual number of people infected could be between 5,000 and 10,000.

The total number of deaths in the country remains 10.

Here's a quick glance at the latest across the nations:

In England

In Scotland

• The number of coronavirus cases has risen to 85 - a rise of 25 since Thursday
  • The Scottish football season has been suspended until further notice
  • Scottish Rugby has today taken the decision to suspend all rugby in Scotland
  • Edinburgh Airport has warned it could have almost no passengers in the next three months - putting up to 100 jobs at risk
  • First Minister Nicola Sturgeon has said widespread school closures were not yet necessary. However, from Monday all schools in Shetland will close for a week
  • Ms Sturgeon added that from next week restrictions would be placed on gatherings of more than 500 people
In Wales

• There have been 13 new cases, bringing the total number to 38
  • Wales' Six Nations match against Scotland match on Saturday has been postponed
In Northern Ireland

• First Minister Arlene Foster said schools will remain open but admitted the policy could cause some confusion after the Republic of Ireland announced nationwide closures
  • Stormont has said that health and social care services are coming under growing pressure due to the increase in cases of coronavirus.

UP FROM 17,000 A COUPLE OF DAYS AGO TO 25,000 A DAY..

"Updated our data on total #COVID19 testing capacity. Not all labs operating at capacity so actually testing volume is less. We need a better system for helping states that lack capacity be able to share their samples with those labs that have spare capacity."

Scott Gottlieb, MD on Twitter

Attachments

• IMG_20200313_113542.jpg
    IMG_20200313_113542.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 3
Something I noted from reading the article written by a woman who endured COVID and the resulting isolation, is that she felt so lonely. (link?)

We probably will be recommending that the seniors at our church (small church, we live on a remote island) begin self isolating, even though we have no indication of an outbreak anywhere near us yet. We obviously care about our seniors and want them to stay safe.

What are some things that we can do to support them and prevent the terrible sense of loneliness?

Where the heck is everybody? It’s going ghost town over here feels like...

I wonder if people are at the store...

And at the drive through testing lab :eek:

(Being sort of facetious on that last one, not really)

I feel the pot on the lid about to blow around here and I’m not talking about the legal green kind.

Workplace tent is up. We are now officially a circus :rolleyes:
I think they’re triaging folks out there who come in the emergency dept via ambulance

and one day closure to clean (3 day weekend really) of lots of local schools Lots of overtime put in there. Also lots of OT being offered at my work.

South Korea followed China's guidance:

Testing, testing, aggressive quarantine, aggressive quarantine, aggressive quarantine.

A COORDINATED UNIFORM TOP-LEVEL GOVERNMENTAL PROGRAM (without political interference)

Well, we can't...ain't got no test kits, PPE, the government's afraid to lock down the borders, Governors won't close school, and we have no numbers of those infection or actual deaths.

God help us!!!!

Imoo

You guys, I learned on very good authority that clinical staff in King County must now in certain instances, re-use masks, and....not changing gloves between patients with similar symptoms, instead they are to wash their dirty gloved hands with soap, water, and disinfectant, and move on to the next patient.

They're having serious, serious shortages of masks, N95 and surgical, and gloves.

Something I noted from reading the article written by a woman who endured COVID and the resulting isolation, is that she felt so lonely. (link?)

We probably will be recommending that the seniors at our church (small church, we live on a remote island) begin self isolating, even though we have no indication of an outbreak anywhere near us yet. We obviously care about our seniors and want them to stay safe.

What are some things that we can do to support them and prevent the terrible sense of loneliness?

Phone trees are an old phenomenon. Can you set up some sort of round robin so everyone gets a call or two every day? I had a friend who worked in a call center for mail order and she used to say that there were some obviously older people who would prolong the call just to be talking to a human being for a while. The call center didn't like it but she always gave them as much time as they wanted.

I just spotted the multipart documentary American Experience (PBS) "Influenza 1918". It's not just a dry documentary. It recounts actual experiences of people that survived that time and their memories. It's listed on Amazon prime streaming if you have it. I'll be watching it later.
DH was a little concerned about my "obsession about the coronavirus" but he's now he's with it which makes me feel validated. I hope we are all wrong though. What a blessing that would be.

You guys, I learned on very good authority that clinical staff in King County must now in certain instances, re-use masks, and....not changing gloves between patients with similar symptoms, instead they are to wash their dirty gloved hands with soap, water, and disinfectant, and move on to the next patient.

They're having serious, serious shortages of masks, N95 and surgical, and gloves.
How awful!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member