Coronavirus - COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #23

Status
Not open for further replies.
NPR just reported that the government is currently debating increasing food stamps for families who are in need, to decrease the need of people to gather to get their kids their school lunches and breakfasts. Another strategy they’re discussing is delivering school lunches at bus stops to the kids who get the free lunches.

It passed the House and is now being debated in the Senate.
I hope they could actually continue to serve food at the schools. Sometimes kids don't get food at home not just because the family can't afford food, but also can't provide meals for whatever reason - whether it's because parents are working a couple of jobs and don't have time to shop and cook, have drug or mental/physical health issues, have an inability to cook, etc.

Also some low-income areas are food deserts, where it simply isn't easy to find groceries, even if you have more vouchers to spend. I volunteered at a food pantry and once had to run out to get some milk. I had to walk to a few different stores before I found some! This is a real issue.

When kids are hungry and need school meals, it sometimes (not always) is a result of many issues, beyond budget.

I'm hoping the people making decisions are getting good input.

jmo

ADVICE FOR YOUR MENTAL HEALTH FROM WHO

"Minimize watching, reading or listening to news that causes you to feel anxious or distressed; seek information only from trusted sources and mainly to take practical steps to prepare your plans and protect yourself and loved ones. Seek information updates at specific times during the day, once or twice. The sudden and near-constant stream of news reports about an outbreak can cause anyone to feel worried"

WHO: Mental Health and Psychosocial Considerations During COVID-19 Outbreak

Coronavirus Update (Live): 155,812 Cases and 5,814 Deaths from COVID-19 Virus Outbreak - Worldometer

My ex has a grandmother who is a real life hoarder. Her garage is filled to the brim with toilet paper. That’s the backup plan if I run out which is a real possibility. I didn’t hoard any. I just bought a few extra packs but we go through them quickly.

I bought a couple extra packs, too. We go through them faster than I realized. I guess I never really gave much thought to how much TP we *actually* use so I'm having to pay attention now!

I just feel like crying.

Kali, I have been thinking a lot about you over the last few days. I am so sorry. You don't live near me, but you represent all of the small business owners that I so often frequent in my city. I did go to Costco but a good part of my stock pile came from a small family owned grocery in my neighborhood. I probably spent more money but it was worth every penny to show them how much I cared about them being able to get through this. A while back I posted that I was in tears as I drove through my city wondering what businesses would not make it. I am sure Costco, Kroger and the giants will be there. But I live in a diverse community with many local restaurants and businesses. They are what drew me to this area when we moved here 9 mos ago.
Not far from me someone opened a bulk food and smoothie shop just over 2 mos ago. The proudly advertised on face book and other social media around town. Had a fun grand opening with free ice cream and other offers. Yesterday they posted on face book all of the measures taken to make sure the food and shop were safe. I cannot believe the bad timing of it all, being a bulk food place and all. I can only imagine what they are going through but I could sense in the post that they were struggling.

OK I have rambled on enough. Sorry. Kali, my thoughts are with you. I hope people still come to eat at your restaurant. Many of the places here are offering take out. I am not sure if the type food you offer lends itself to that?

If I order take out, I will reheat in the microwave to HOT and it will be safe, I assume.

Peace to you all.

View attachment 238466 View attachment 238467 View attachment 238468 View attachment 238469

Coronavirus: Chaos as shelves 'cleared like a riot' as shoppers mass buy during outbreak

Shoppers have been panic buying over coronavirus fears, forcing supermarkets to limit sales of essential food and household items. According to a survey, one in 10 UK customers is stockpiling

Chaos as shelves 'cleared like a riot' as shoppers mass buy in coronavirus panic

It is disgraceful shoppers are leaving stores in a ransacked state for workers to clean up.

I'm truly so afraid for all of the workers' safety, and customer's wellbeing. Our children are using the pick up app where they dont have to enter any stores. So far all are going to work though, and doing some of it online.

The longer this goes on the worse it will get.

We already have three freezers full of food, and my large kitchen pantry stays stocked with food. The main thing we are buying in bulk or large numbers are toilet paper, paper towels, soaps, washing detergent, lysol, and hand sanitizer products.

We've told all of our neighbors we will be glad to share what all we have with them should it be required. We told them we will just leave it by the door.

Since my hubby, and I are the targeted age being elderly we are even making sure we use gloves to retrieve our mail then spray it with lysol before opening.

What's the worse right now for our children is we've told them to stay away, and check on us by phone. It makes it doubly hard on them since they know I haven't regained my strength from my traumatic 8 day hospital stay less than a week ago. Im still trying to heal physically and emotionally. So all 5 are constantly making contact with us. Our children are the type of children who believe they should all be here doing what they can until I can get back on my feet again. So they are doubly stressed even though we try to reassure them we are okay.

All I can do is pray they can learn more, and more each day about this deadly virus. I do believe they will so everyone has to respect each other remembering it's up to all of us to protect others, and ourselves the very best we can.

When I hear the many stories about those who have it.... yet they venture out in the public instead of honoring the 14 days of staying home it makes me so upset for they are literally putting many innocent lives at risk. Gah!! How self centered.

If it continues to happen the local, and federal authorities are going to get involved as they should. It's stupid for any adult to act so reckless.

Jmhoo

Last edited:
I just feel like crying.
I'm so sorry! A friend posted a suggestion to our local FB and it was that the community buy gift cards/certificates from our local small businesses so that the business gets the money NOW but the patrons don't have to worry about using them until later when things get back to "normal" (whatever that is). Is that something you could do?

Not isolating. Yet. We’re both still working

But have a twice a day routine of bleach wiping all of those. I would continue to do so even if we weren’t leaving the house.

Not at first because we are big hand washers in my home. But now I am. Bleaching the hell out of door knobs and handles, cupboards, faucets, window latches, toilets, sinks, refrigerator, etc.

Oh no. You think everything will be chaos by then? I mean it’s better already in China. You don’t think this could run it’s course in a couple of months?

You’re scaring me.

Dr. Nancy used the word “year” / “years?” in one of her CDC briefings. Transcript upstream, I’ll look for the quote again.

There could also be waves, different communities getting infected in different intervals, etc.

The difference with China IMO is they had strict containment measures. (Understatement)

They’ve been dealing with this since early December that we know of. That’s 3 1/2 months.

I’m not sure if we’ll fare better or worse than China.

Gitana, here is a link of the worst case scenario which talks about what I’ve mentioned above / reposting for @gitana1 to answer her question:

Worst-Case Estimates for U.S. Coronavirus Deaths

BBM:

“Between 160 million and 214 million people in the United States could be infected over the course of the epidemic, according to one projection. That could last months or even over a year, with infections concentrated in shorter periods, staggered across time in different communities, experts said. As many as 200,000 to 1.7 million people could die.”

Last edited:
I had an email from a beauty store I frequent (frequently). As of now, no more in-store makeovers, no person-to-person contact when testing products and sample products are being cleaned after each swatch. All of which is understandable and commendable, and in no way compares to the suffering of anyone with the virus, but it made me think about the little things we take for granted that for the foreseeable future, will be hit for six by Covid 19.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa