Coronavirus - COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #27

Status
Not open for further replies.
Covid-19: How long does the coronavirus last on surfaces?
[...]

In the areas worst hit by the new coronavirus, teams of workers in protective clothing have been dispatched to spray a fog of disinfectant in plazas, parks and public streets. Cleaning regimes in offices, hospitals, shops and restaurants have been increased. In some cities, well-meaning volunteers even venture out at night to scrub the keypads of cash machines.

Like many respiratory viruses, including flu, Covid-19 can be spread in tiny droplets released from the nose and mouth of an infected person as they cough. A single cough can produce up to 3,000 droplets. These particles can land on other people, clothing and surfaces around them, but some of the smaller particles can remain in the air. There is also some evidence that the virus is also shed for longer in faecal matter, so anyone not washing their hands thoroughly after visiting the toilet could contaminate anything they touch.

[...]

Some studies on other coronaviruses, including Sars and Mers, found they can survive on metal, glass and plastic for as long as nine days, unless they are properly disinfected. Some can even hang around for up to 28 days in low temperatures.

Coronaviruses are well known to be particularly resilient in terms of where they can survive. And researchers are now beginning to understand more about how this affects the spread of the new coronavirus. (Read more about the global fight against Covid-19.)

[...]

... the virus could survive in droplets for up to three hours after being coughed out into the air. Fine droplets between 1-5 micrometres in size – about 30 times small than the width of a human hair – can remain airborne for several hours in still air.

It means that the virus circulating in unfiltered air conditioning systems will only persist for a couple of hours at the most, especially as aerosol droplets tend to settle on surfaces faster in disturbed air.

But the NIH study found that the SARS-CoV-2 virus survives for longer on cardboard – up to 24 hours – and up to 2-3 days on plastic and stainless-steel surfaces.

[...]

... research has shown that coronaviruses can be inactivated within a minute by disinfecting surfaces with 62-71% alcohol, or 0.5% hydrogen peroxide bleach or household bleach containing 0.1% sodium hypochlorite. Higher temperatures and humidity also tend to result in other coronaviruses dying quicker, although research has shown that a related coronavirus that causes Sars could be killed by temperatures above 56°C or 132°F (hotter than even a bath scalding enough to cause injury) at a rate of about 10,000 viral particles every 15 minutes.

[...]

On clothing and other surfaces harder to disinfect, it is not yet clear how long the virus can survive. Although they are still do test it on clothing, the absorbent natural fibres may cause the virus to dry up quickly, suggests Vincent Munster, head of the virus ecology section at Rocky Mountain Laboratories and one of those who led the NIH study.

[...]

Imo one of the best things we can do is coordinate a local support chain.

For example, which elderly people can you offer to pick up food for while you are out?

Which elderly person can you offer to help with their pet if needed?

Which elderly person can you help...

—-

Breaking to bathe. What a concept. I might be taking the no deodorant as a social distancing method a little too far.

@gitana1 are you still chewing garlic as a social distancing method?

People aren’t even respecting this around here and want to pet the dog etc. I am in a very authoritative voice putting my hand up and saying “social distancing”.

They should be making hand sanitizer.

Are they? Don't have time to read the article atm, noting.

I skimmed the article and did not see anything about making hand sanitizer but they are going to concentrate on online sales. Most retailers are concentrating on online sales, that is nothing new. This store gives me a headache with all the fragrant smells. Too expensive for me. Malls are becoming ghost towns.

Wolf Blitzer on Twitter

There are now more than 5,000 confirmed coronavirus cases in the United States and 97 confirmed deaths. Worldwide, there are now nearly 190,000 confirmed cases and more than 7,500 confirmed deaths.

There’s that exponential multiplier.

We topped the grim milestone of 100,000 not that long ago. And now almost 200G?

Dr. Mike has spoken a lot about being very careful when making predictions.

Dr. Maria has said we can not predict the figures.

But at this rate moo we’ll be looking at half a mil and mil soon if we can’t push this back moo.

Good idea! I'm going to do that right now.
Suzi, a few years ago we had a big ice storm and were without power for 12 days. We didn't open any of the freezers for two days (it was also very cold in the house with no heat so take that into consideration) and everything was still frozen and just fine. After the two days we hooked our generator up for a few hours to freeze everything back down. I think you'll be just fine :)

Well, this is what my Governer said Friday, (Colorado):

“Governor Polis says there are likely hundreds of people, if not thousands, in Colorado who have coronavirus and either have tests pending or have not been tested. However, more than 80% of the people who get the virus are able to recover on their own.”

This gives you an idea.

Considering so many people are out running around, as opposed to China, who even knows what those numbers are,

Everyday that people are out...

Now, with that being said, Dr. Mike mentioned in the Q & A section of Friday’s WHO PC that closing borders, for example, is not the only thing that is important (paraphrasing this and relating it to mitigation)- there is a balanced approach which needs to occur, mainly at slowing it down, holding it back.

We are at that moment right now where not taking measures drastically affects what goes down in the future. We see the exponential figures as related to multiplication, doubling, etc...

We have to push this back. If we have any hope of...
I also live in Colorado and even after the ski mountains have closed people are still hiking up the mountain to ski, riding buses and going to restaurants full of people. The fact is if you don't have to do go out then don't it's that simple.

I do know that Summit County has suspended bus service so we may be seeing more closure.

I just ran out of coffee creamer!!! I may have to give up coffee.

Kenzie / for you.

Everyone must watch. This is a MANDATORY VIDEO that has become part of a theme here. I’ve been posting it at various times during this journey. This will be the fifth time. There are many new people here so posting this for all of you :):

Virginia

Gov. Northam just announced only 10 people can congregate together and left it up to the restaurants, gyms, and other businesses to figure out how to do that. Also no parties for St. Patrick's Day.

COLORADO

Colorado offering unemployment benefits to those impacted by coronavirus
[...]

The rapid work stoppage has Colorado workers fretting about their jobs. But the state’s labor department said employees who have seen their hours reduced or have been laid off because of new restrictions placed on businesses in Colorado may file an unemployment claim at coloradoui.gov.

The state’s department of labor said Monday that so far, it has not seen a big spike in unemployment insurance claims but that it is expecting the number of people filing for it to increase in coming days and weeks.

[...]

Please forgive any duplicates. :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members