Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #29

Status
Not open for further replies.
Government is mulling re: sending $1,000 to Americans. Would this be tax free? How far would this go in your life? What about an average family?

What happens when this $1,000 runs out?

Better than nothing that’s for sure.

I imagine it cost me AT LEAST $500 to get all the basic supplies, cleaning, medical, toiletries, food for a few weeks and that was no hoarding. (Okay maybe I hoarded some tater tots, but other than that :D JK. I was the only CV shopper in the stores at the time so there was plenty of everything, including toilet paper. I’m so glad I bought it then and feel for the folks who don’t have any now. Don’t clog your toilets with paper towels and Kleenex!!!)

We are used to buying our things as we go. When you think about having to get all your toiletries at once for when you run out, pet stuff, and extra pharmaceutical stuff like tylenol, meds. whatever it is, even if you buy one of each its still an arm and a leg after it all adds up. @LadyL, I think it was you who asked me way back how much I had spent so far on preparing, sorry I forgot to answer. I’d say at least $500 including everything together...actually, more than that now that I think about weed supply, etc.

So $1000 can help at the moment for people who suddenly lost their jobs, or who had to suddenly sell kidneys and pluck money from the air to buy extra stuff that normally they would buy in a rotational cycle.

$1000 is a drop in a bucket but we have to take things as we go. That’s a whole month’s mortgage or whatever it is.

I’m really really keeping a close eye on The White House for action words and follow up.

If certain people weren’t taking this seriously at first (BIG MISTAKE imo), maybe they are now.

We can argue about lost time later. Let’s get this stuff rollin. I want to see action.

Last edited:
Outer Banks closed... Now towns and cities are declaring SOE, controlling access to NON residents.

Most all smaller towns and counties started declaring SOE on Monday in SW VA. Our County Administrator said would give us the ability to restrict access.

North Carolina's Outer Banks closed off to nonresidents as coronavirus precaution

Officials in the Outer Banks, along North Carolina's coastline, instituted an emergency policy Tuesday that barred nonresidents from entering due to coronavirus precautions.

Government is mulling re: sending $1,000 to Americans. Would this be tax free? How far would this go in your life? What about an average family?

What happens when this $1,000 runs out?

The 1k, to my understanding will be in a stimulus package. Not defined who will receive, I'm guessing tax payers.

Unemployment insurance is available weekly., for 26 weeks. Virginia's max is 378. per week.

It’s fascinating (for lack of a better term) to see the students and retired people being called on.

Telehealth jobs are exploding on the internet.

I recall an early video from the China days where hospital workers were SO overwhelmed, medical workers were getting sick like crazy (1700+ iirc? Need to double check that moo). Anyway, iirc, they flew in 10,000 medical workers from various other provinces to help in Wuhan. I also seem to recall military medics, all kinds of stuff.

I’m thinking a lot about mobilization of resources right now - what I mean is I remember mass movements of trucks trying to get into Wuhan in lockdown conditions, trying to get fresh vegetables to the people.

There was a even a smart woman who modified her remote control toy car to go to the store and pick up “buns”.

So, with people in isolation, and stores already having stocking issues and delivery services being overwhelmed, we may need door to door food relief at some point, Moo, like I’m talking military delivering food supplies.

So many thoughts, trying to express them clearly.

So in Wuhan, some food stores were open and there were different reports, depending on whose live stream from quarantine you watched, as to whether there was a shortage of food or not imo.

Again, America is the land of the plenty but I hope that mobilization programs are in place because we may need them.

Many people have ditched their cars in the green movement and have relied on public transportation and Uber/ Lyft, like me. I’ve reveled in not having a car payment, gas, insurance, and helping the environment at the same time.

Dr Mike talked about in the early days, paraphrasing, that when you have lock downs and border closings, it can also make it more difficult to get relief supplies in.

I can not wait to hear our WHO docs speak today.

These poor guys have been trying to get people to listen...that we have a “window of opportunity” to push this back, but unfortunately so many people disrespected this, and I’m afraid for that we are ALL going to have to pay more.

And I do hope that Dr. Mike is back today vs. calling in. If he calls in again, I'm going to wonder - heck, I cringed during the last presser when Dr. Tedros coughed 4 times.

My family member has done the online teaching to Chinese students for 18 months, and is doing an online sort of training folks that have expressed interest to her in learning what it's about and how to do it later this week. So many folks who are losing their jobs might have an interest in that if they aren't health care folks who can do the telehealth stuff.

U.S. Stock Futures
arrowDown.gif
S&P -92.00 / -3.69%

Data as of 7:06am ET
arrowDown.gif
Nasdaq -328.00 / -4.43%

Data as of 7:03am ET
arrowDown.gif
Dow -821.00 / -3.92%

And I do hope that Dr. Mike is back today vs. calling in. If he calls in again, I'm going to wonder - heck, I cringed during the last presser when Dr. Tedros coughed 4 times.

My family member has done the online teaching to Chinese students for 18 months, and is doing an online sort of training folks that have expressed interest to her in learning what it's about and how to do it later this week. So many folks who are losing their jobs might have an interest in that if they aren't health care folks who can do the telehealth stuff.

Omggggg there was some coughing going on that I noticed too. I’m not going to name names. At least they’ve been doing remote conferences with no reporters unlike our White House Gov’t officials moo. This sets a bad example they’re still crowding reporters in JMO.

I’m behind on Monday’s WHO Presser. Going to bump that now for everyone to get caught up on as we wait for them to speak today.

Thank you again for the WHO Q & A transcript from Friday. Do you happen to have that handy to please repost? Tia.

I hope you are doing ok. I know you had a death in your family in the middle of all this. I have a family member who had to go in the hospital (out now) due to cancer complications.

Anyway...

So yeah, Doc T and Dr. Mike. Heroes. I’m on it. Thanks.

Pressers, including Monday’s here:

Press briefings

Last edited:
Very early Tuesday morning my cousin Jim passed away of the Coronavirus. He was in good health & had no underlying medical issues/diseases.

Additionally, the state that I live in, West Virginia announced Tuesday evening that they have their first positive case.
This is so sad. So very sorry for you and your cousin and family.

China's top coronavirus expert says 'herd immunity' WILL NOT curb the pandemic because the disease is highly infectious and lethal

The Chinese senior medical adviser rebuked UK's approach to allow citizens to catch the virus to build up a national tolerance strong enough to stop the virus circulating.

'Herd immunity won't solve the problem,' Dr Zhong Nanshan said in a press conference today.

'We don't yet have the evidence to prove that if you are infected once, you would be immune for life.'

'Our next step is to develop effective vaccines, which requires global cooperation,' he added.

China's top coronavirus expert says 'herd immunity' WILL NOT curb the pandemic | Daily Mail Online

Also, even though this started happening last night, the posts that were being blocked had been posted as early as last Thursday (which is why I assumed someone was clicking the 'report' button and Facebook was just starting to make its way through the list...).

I’m not sure if this has anything to do with anything, but I recall a few mentions in the past about how Facebook and Google were working with WHO, etc to help prevent the spread of misinformation. IIRC Moo, something along these lines.

From an email in my inbox this morning:

All Sarasota County libraries are closed starting March 18 through April 12.

Thanks, have sent to my parents in Siesta Key. 80 years old but were still going to a St. Patrick's Day dinner party in their 55+ community clubhouse last night :mad: My 17-year-old daughter is also in FL for the week--the moment school was closed, her friend's family invited her to go with them to the beach, so she jumped on a plane and went :mad: (She lives with her dad and he let her go.)

I’m not sure if this has anything to do with anything, but I recall a few mentions in the past about how Facebook and Google were working with WHO, etc to help prevent the spread of misinformation. IIRC Moo, something along these lines.

Yes, I think that has everything to do with it. I think things like that were mentioned in the article(s). Whatever algorithms were set up were getting a bit overly aggressive, I guess.

Outer Banks closed... Now towns and cities are declaring SOE, controlling access to NON residents.

Most all smaller towns and counties started declaring SOE on Monday in SW VA. Our County Administrator said would give us the ability to restrict access.

North Carolina's Outer Banks closed off to nonresidents as coronavirus precaution

Officials in the Outer Banks, along North Carolina's coastline, instituted an emergency policy Tuesday that barred nonresidents from entering due to coronavirus precautions.
My niece is is southwest China. She couldn't get out but is now actually safer there than here. The town's and villages in China did exactly the same as outer banks and other places. Once you were in, you couldn't leave. They kept the virus in check doing this.

All my posts with virus-related links were being blocked/removed by Facebook as spam yesterday, one by one (articles about schools closing in my state, restaurants and bars being closed nationwide, etc.). I'm a neighborhood group moderator and was posting them in both the group and on my own FB page. At first I thought someone in the group was reporting them as spam because they were tired of my posts, but when it happened with a link I'd posted on my own FB page, I googled... and found this (and many others about this):

Facebook wrongly blocked some links, including coronavirus info – TechCrunch

Apparently there's a bug that was causing FB to block all links related to the virus, as spam :rolleyes:

Not directed at you MamaOV

It’s not Apparent to me. I call bs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members