Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #29

Status
Not open for further replies.
How the coronavirus has spread in Scotland

A total of 227 cases of coronavirus have been confirmed in Scotland - although the actual number of infections is likely to be in the thousands.

The first patient infected with Covid-19 was detected by NHS Tayside on 1 March.

For the first couple of days there were no new cases. They then began to increase by a few each day.

On 11 March the first community transmission of the infection was detected in Scotland and the following day the pace of new cases began to pick up, going into double figures.

The first death was reported on 13 March.

It is anticipated that coronavirus cases in the UK will begin to double every few days, peaking throughout June. Three people have now died in Scotland.

Live: Coronavirus daily news updates, March 18: What to know today about COVID-19 in the Seattle area, Washington state, and the nation
Updated March 18, 2020 at 7:40 am

“7:35 am
Trader Joe's on Roosevelt in Seattle reports COVID-19 case
Trader Joe’s notified customers Tuesday that an employee of its store at 4555 Roosevelt Way N.E. in Seattle has tested positive for the novel coronavirus. The employee was last present in the store on March 7, according to the announcement.

Grocery workers are on the pandemic’s front lines, feeling vulnerable as the virus spreads. Coming to work is like “walking into a minefield,” one says. Read more on that here.

Our local DMV is still open, but you have to make reservations now. My license will expire soon....but I'm just letting it go until we get the all clear to be in public places again. I'm expecting our DMV to close soon and am actually surprised it's still open.

jmo
Always a pleasant experience to visit the DMV:eek:
My neighbor was unaware ours was closed as his expires eom, he was delighted!

Live: Coronavirus daily news updates, March 18: What to know today about COVID-19 in the Seattle area, Washington state, and the nation
Updated March 18, 2020 at 7:40 am

“7:35 am
Trader Joe's on Roosevelt in Seattle reports COVID-19 case
Trader Joe’s notified customers Tuesday that an employee of its store at 4555 Roosevelt Way N.E. in Seattle has tested positive for the novel coronavirus. The employee was last present in the store on March 7, according to the announcement.

Grocery workers are on the pandemic’s front lines, feeling vulnerable as the virus spreads. Coming to work is like “walking into a minefield,” one says. Read more on that here.
I’m glad they stepped up unlike the situation here.

World virus infections pass 200,000, Europe’s borders jammed

“BERLIN — Desperate travelers choked European border crossings Wednesday after countries implemented strict controls to try to slow the spread of the coronavirus, which has now infected more than 200,000 people worldwide and killed more than 8,000.”

[...]

“European leaders have closed borders to nonessential traffic, while leaving many frontiers open to cross-border workers and trucks carrying critical goods like food and medicine. That has led to massive backups of travelers and trucks alike.”

There will always be the naysayer or the ‘rules don’t apply to me’, the rest of us concerned about our world must step up & report when we see violations.
Beginning Friday, as I previously posted, ALL daycares here MUST close indefinitely.
Even the DMV closed and if you need to renew you have a three month grace extension—do not come to DMV, no face to face contact with gov’t offices.
Honestly, idk what more can be done to make people grasp the severity of this situation.
Moo

The margin of error always seems to be +/-3%. I think this would apply to compliance for the Shelter in Place program the White House and CDC rolled out.

If state/federal government don't comply they risk being on the bottom of list for federal assistance ..MOO

If folks don't comply, I think the President will lock this country down, including neighborhood. in a heart beat. China had armed guards patrolling the streets, Italy does now. Do we think this can't/won't happen in the US?

We can not destroy lives, risk our healthcare workers, or our economy over non compliance.

Moo....

Always a pleasant experience to visit the DMV:eek:
My neighbor was unaware ours was closed as his expires eom, he was delighted!
I've been renewing by mail for years - and still have my photo from the 90's on my license because of that. It's ridiculous (but, boy, don't I look good for my age!). I need a new license with updated photo....but it will wait.

jmo

Our local DMV is still open, but you have to make reservations now. My license will expire soon....but I'm just letting it go until we get the all clear to be in public places again. I'm expecting our DMV to close soon and am actually surprised it's still open.

jmo

New Jersey DMV offices and inspection stations are closed. Renewals between March and May are waived until July.

New Jersey MVC Shuts Down Because Of Coronavirus

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-us-border-deal-1.5501289
Canada and the United States have agreed to restrict non-essential travel across the border, as both countries try to slow the spread of the novel coronavirus.

"We will be, by mutual consent, temporarily closing our Northern Border with Canada to non-essential traffic. Trade will not be affected," tweeted U.S. President Donald Trump Wednesday morning.

Soon afterwards, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau held a news conference where he said travellers will no longer be able to cross the border for recreational and tourism purposes.

As reported by CNN on Tuesday night and confirmed by CBC News, Canada and the U.S. were working to finalize a deal last night and into this morning.

Trump: U.S., Canada to close border to nonessential travel

“TORONTO — The U.S. and Canada have agreed to temporarily close their shared border to nonessential travel, President Donald Trump announced Wednesday as the two nations work to stem the spread of the coronavirus pandemic.

Both countries are eager to choke off the spread of the virus but also maintain their vital economic relationship. Canada relies on the U.S. for 75% of its exports.

Trump made the announcement on Twitter, saying the decision would not affect the flow of trade between the countries.

“We will be, by mutual consent, temporarily closing our Northern Border with Canada to non-essential traffic,” Trump tweeted.”

I tried staying away from this thread but decided to come over today. This has prob been asked before but if someone texts positive for covid-19 what is the treatment plan? I know it’s a respiratory illness so would nebulizer breathing treatments be a good idea? Just wanted to get some advice.

NY is starting to look and sound like our folks trapped on the cruise ship.

Its about choices, tuff choices....

I can't even begin to imagine what it would have been like to be quarantined on a cruise ship :eek: As fond as I am of cruising, I would truly feel trapped after a couple of weeks. DH and I know of people who spend many weeks, or even months, on cruise ships annually, some to escape harsh winters in their respective states/provinces. Definitely not for me! I can feel cozy in our stateroom (with balcony) for 10 days to two weeks, but after that, I'm ready to get off the ship, feel the earth beneath my feet, and enjoy the spacious comfort of home :)

Seattle DOT creates food pick-up priority signs to help restaurants stay afloat

“The Seattle Department of Transportation said the first locations to receive the temporary loading zones will be in areas with high concentrations of restaurants on blocks that do not otherwise have enough loading options.”

[...]

Ever since Gov. Jay Inslee’s declaration earlier this week that restaurants and bars should close except for take-out, drive through and delivery, there’s been creative ideas to keep them going.

High-end fine dining icon Canlis went to burger and bagel stands which has so far stopped traffic with the large amount of people coming through.”

[...]

While the signs may not keep everyone in the business employed, the city hopes to help some stay afloat.”

Washington state gets $200 million in COVID-19 response aid
MAR 17, 2020 at 7:00 PM

“Gov. Jay Inslee on Tuesday signed several new laws in response to the Washington state coronavirus outbreak.

The measures authorize millions in financial aid for government agencies and federally recognized tribes responding to COVID-19, as well as businesses impacted by mandatory shutdowns.”

[...]

Another law signed today is intended to increase hospitals' surge capacity to accommodate an influx of patients. The measure lessens credentialing delays for health care workers entering the workforce, and addresses some insurance billing technicalities for health care providers.”

[...]

“The governor also said President Donald Trump had agreed to change the prioritization of the federal stockpile of medical equipment at state officials' request. Inslee pointed to a previously used quota-based system that prevented some states from collecting necessary resources.

"So this change in the priority system we think will help us accelerate the replenishing of our state stockpile for masks and gloves and everything else we need from the federal stockpile," he said. "We think this is going to give us a better situation, so we can respond to the outbreak here in Washington state."“

-more at link

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member