Study: Diet Soda Linked to Heart Risks

Anngelique

Reaction score
BOSTON - People who drank more than one diet soda each day developed the same risks for heart disease as those who downed sugary regular soda, suggests a large but inconclusive study.

The results surprised the researchers who expected to see a difference between regular and diet soda drinkers. It could be, they suggest, that even no-calorie sweet drinks increase the craving for more sweets, and that people who indulge in sodas probably have less healthy diets overall.

The study's senior author, Dr. Vasan Ramachandran, emphasized the findings don't show diet sodas are a cause of increased heart disease risks. But he said they show a surprising link that must be studied.

http://www.comcast.net/news/health/...&fn=/2007/07/23/721500.html&cvqh=itn_dietsoda

BOSTON - People who drank more than one diet soda each day developed the same risks for heart disease as those who downed sugary regular soda, suggests a large but inconclusive study.

The results surprised the researchers who expected to see a difference between regular and diet soda drinkers. It could be, they suggest, that even no-calorie sweet drinks increase the craving for more sweets, and that people who indulge in sodas probably have less healthy diets overall.

The study's senior author, Dr. Vasan Ramachandran, emphasized the findings don't show diet sodas are a cause of increased heart disease risks. But he said they show a surprising link that must be studied.

http://www.comcast.net/news/health/...&fn=/2007/07/23/721500.html&cvqh=itn_dietsoda

I have always heard that the diet sodas w/the fake sugars increase your sugar cravings which causes weight GAIN. What an interesting study this must be.

We stay away from pop for the most part. Now I'm glad! Thanks for the info, Anngelique!

I have always heard that the diet sodas w/the fake sugars increase your sugar cravings which causes weight GAIN. What an interesting study this must be.

We stay away from pop for the most part. Now I'm glad! Thanks for the info, Anngelique!

You're welcome. My husband also had aspartame poisoning from drinking diet sodas. You can read lots of pros and lots of cons saying there's no such thing as aspartame poisoning but we sure found taking him off of diet sodas made him think clearer, and feel better.

You're welcome. My husband also had aspartame poisoning from drinking diet sodas. You can read lots of pros and lots of cons saying there's no such thing as aspartame poisoning but we sure found taking him off of diet sodas made him think clearer, and feel better.

I'm allergic to aspartame and it is in EVERYTHING I like. :( I keep my kids off of it because I don't want them to go through what I did, even if it starts later in life. I have a friend that went off of aspartame a few years ago and fully recovered from some serious muscle problems, and like you mentioned, brain fog. (I don't remember the technical terms, but she was basically undiagnosed.)

I'm glad your husband is ok! :blowkiss:

It kills me to see people drinking their diet drinks with tons of unhealthy food. So maybe that's the link between diet drinks and heart problems. Who knows.....

Aspartame is invaluable in weight loss but only with NON-carbonation drinks--Non-carbonation nutrasweet drinks do NOT increase your desire for sweets--but I remember when I used to drink diet sodas, I would overcompensate with sweets and any diet would fail--I have an incredible sweet tooth but when I drink the non-carbonated Tropicana Fruit Punch that is sugar free but has aspartame, my desire for refined sugar and sweets totally vanishes, and subsequently, it is quite easy to lose weight

I'm still not giving up my diet coke. No way, no how.

I've tried the diet drinks and they just don't taste good to me! The only one I loved was Crystal Light. OMG I miss that. The others taste metallic to me. :( (I do sneak a taste here and there thinking I'm missing out on things!)

Taximom,
Have you tried Coke Zero? IMO there is no after taste and if you put it in the fridge and get it really cold before drinking it, it taste exactly like a regular Coke.

Hi Philamena. I have an allergic reaction to aspartame so I only sip a tiny sip of different drinks once in a while. I don't know if I've tried Coke Zero, but even if I liked it I couldn't drink it. Mostly I try the new flavors that they don't always make in non-diet flavors.

I'm glad you all can enjoy them though!

Sorry Taximom. Please don't sip on the sodas if you're allergic to them. My husband also has a reaction to them.

Sorry Taximom. Please don't sip on the sodas if you're allergic to them. My husband also has a reaction to them.

I know. :blushing: I have probably sipped three times in the last decade. The lime drinks were tempting!

So far it hasn't bothered me, but I know I should watch. Thank you for caring. :blowkiss:

I still think its basically the Carbonation factor--Carbonation has already been linked to increased acid-reflux disease and perhaps Esophageal Cancer--The sugary soda/diet soda link to heart disease is not direct but cause-and-affect--Article in Fox News today shows Metabolic Syndrome is the heart disease(and diabetes) link--Syndrome is characterized as having high blood sugar(Glucose), high blood pressure,being overweight,elevated triglycerides,and reduced HDL cholesterol(the good kind)--I drink a liter of aspartame a day(non-carbonated fruit punch) and my blood pressure is normal 125/75, my blood sugar is only 84, I am not overweight,my triglycerides are 90,which is low,my HDL is 58, which is good--The main thing everyone needs to do is to be at your proper weight

Aspartame is invaluable in weight loss but only with NON-carbonation drinks--Non-carbonation nutrasweet drinks do NOT increase your desire for sweets--but I remember when I used to drink diet sodas, I would overcompensate with sweets and any diet would fail--I have an incredible sweet tooth but when I drink the non-carbonated Tropicana Fruit Punch that is sugar free but has aspartame, my desire for refined sugar and sweets totally vanishes, and subsequently, it is quite easy to lose weight

It has nothing to do with weight loss. Weight loss and maintaining weight is as simple as burning more calories than you consume. You could argue that drinks and foods sweetened with aspartame have less calories and therefore you are consuming less, but might I suggest just drinking water?

Aspertame poisoning? I wonder if that might be something I need to look into regarding my kid...

Diet Dr. Pepper is like crack. I don't know if I could give it up, even if it was proven to cause drooling, flatulance and underarm stink. *sigh*

Speaking of Obesity, CNN is reporting the nine states with the most obese people--In no particular order: Texas,, Michigan, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee, Kentucky, and West Virginia

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrsrb10
Back