Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #29

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, the negative test essentially proves nothing. Only that at the time of the test the host was negative. If it takes a day or two to get results, how can any therefore assume they are still negative? Idk
Dr. Jorge Rodriguez is on CNN, he agrees, it must be a “controlled” test. Idk why anyone would want it if they don’t meet the existing criteria, only because it is only good for that day & per Dr. Birx, you could develop it the same night. Jmo though. To each their own. Hopefully anyone that wants a test can get one. If so, the curve will come way down, idk if that is wise, or might make people less inclined to comprehend the severity. And what happens if a person still works, do they need a daily test?
IMO you can't deny testing to all people because some will be false negatives, or negatives before infection. If you stop testing people because there may be negatives, that means our country misses all the true positives.

So, Dr. Birx is saying that we don't want to invest in testing any possibly negative people, and that missing positive people is somehow worth that inconvenience to the momentarily negative person.

NJ UPDATE

For the third day, New Jersey saw a large spike in coronavirus cases Wednesday, rising by 162 for a total of 427 statewide, and there are two new deaths, bringing the total to five.

The increase in cases comes as testing for the virus has ramped up statewide.

With the cases continuing to rise, New Jersey could be short by upwards of 300,000 hospital beds in the coming months and doctors may be forced to make the "agonizing" decision to deny care to victims of COVID-19 if the state doesn't get federal help, Gov. Phil Murphy said.
And in the next two weeks, he said, New Jersey could need an additional 2,000 hospital beds, about 200 of which would need ventilators which are in short supply nationwide.

In a letter to President Donald Trump, Murphy asked for the U.S. military and Army Corps of Engineers to help broaden the capacity of the state's health care system and "rapidly expand" supplies of personal protective equipment and ventilators, which are used to treat certain victims of the coronavirus.

Murphy's letter to Trump follows a similar one written by New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo, in which he said, "Can we slow the spread of the disease to a rate that our state health care systems can handle? The answer increasingly looks like no."

NJ reports two more coronavirus related deaths as statewide cases spike to 427 Wednesday

I heard someone on CNN "Stop thinking "me" and think "we.
Your elders want to live too."
Moo
Yesssss! And in the presser it was good that they now included the “younger” generation as at risk.
Ianad but I posted yesterday I felt we would maybe learn younger persons do get it, maybe their incubation period is longer? Idk, just guessing.

Ok, some happy news! We got approved to be a foster dog parent with the county humane society. I passed my phone interview with flying colors. I get to go see the dogs on Friday morning. The shelter lady said "You can have your pick of whatever dog you'd like. We just want to get them out of here." I asked what their protocols were as far as being busy because I am of course, a cancer patient and high risk. She stated they implemented a policy of only 5 people in the facility at a time. If more than 5 arrive, they have to wait outside, not inside. I can wear my mask and gloves too.

I can't go help anyone else. Everyone else is helping me to stay isolated. So this is the only way I can help. I am happy to feel needed to be honest and it will help me stay active - playing fetch, wandering around my back yard, making sure my little charge has fun. Stay tuned!!
I am so excited for you! I can't wait to see what doggie you decide to bring home. What a blessing to both you and that special pup.

So they want to block outsiders from shopping at the grocery stores? People who are visiting the area? How would anyone determine that? Make people stand in line and show proof of living in the county or something? That sounds awful to me. Why are there so many tourists in an area with only one grocery store and not enough food?

Yes, areas are restricting visitors. The is not a time to vacation or head to a motel. Some areas only have a small, local owned grocery store. Are they to drive an hour or more because folks wanna vacation during a State of Emergency?

This does sound cold hardened but we have very good reasons....

Dare County, NC is the Outer Banks, most protected treasure of NC, is closed. They are not equipment to handle an increase of visitors. The towns are super small, like 150 people, small, the wild horse are on the banks, one main bridge entrance. Not a place to be trapped.

I hear they may close the Appalachian Trail. We just can't spend resources looking for lost folks, rescuing this who fall off the mountain, etc.

Most rural areas do NOT have paid EMT. All EMT is volunteer, they raise their own money, provide their own training, build their own buildings and buy all equipment, supplies, and emergency vehicles. They are not paid for volunteering, no paid meals, or gas. Its neighbors helping neighbor's.

MOO....

Still waiting to hear why Trump turned down the WHO (World Health Organization) Corona Virus test packets, about 2 months ago. WHO supplied a multitude of tests for South Korea and 49 other countries, but Trump turned it down. SK tested thousands of people a day, and kept the curve down to avoid complete catastrophe on their health system.

Yet in the USA we turn down the same tests?

U.S. Lags in Coronavirus Testing After Slow Response to Outbreak

Coronavirus cases have dropped sharply in South Korea. What’s the secret to its success?
"Behind its success so far has been the most expansive and well-organized testing program in the world, combined with extensive efforts to isolate infected people and trace and quarantine their contacts. South Korea has tested more than 270,000 people, which amounts to more than 5200 tests per million inhabitants—more than any other country except tiny Bahrain, according to the Worldometer website. The United States has so far carried out 74 tests per 1 million inhabitants, data from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention show."
South Korea’s experience shows that “diagnostic capacity at scale is key to epidemic control,” says Raina MacIntyre, an emerging infectious disease scholar at the University of New South Wales, Sydney. “Contact tracing is also very influential in epidemic control, as is case isolation,” she says."

Dr. Birx said yesterday in an interview that the U.S. decided to have FDA approved tests and they would be more reliable than the WHO tests and that she believes that the quality of the tests and FDA approval were critical factors.

So glad to hear this. The Toyota plant is two mi from my house, they employ over 8k, they come from far and wide, even out of state. Most shop & eat here. Imo there’s zero chance they don’t have positive cases & they’ve spread it thru the community. Everyone I know wishes they would close already, rather wish they had closed by this time.
I was worried at the grocery this a.m., most days (pre virus) I pop in and out for something. I know 75% of the workers. So many didn’t look well today. After knowing them for 20-30 years, I can tell they are tired, stressed & worried. Moo
Detroit automakers agree to shut down plants amid positive coronavirus cases

Detroit — Detroit's three automakers have agreed to close all of their factories due to worker fears about the coronavirus, according to an Associated Press source.

Automakers are expected to release details of the closure later Wednesday. The United Auto Workers union has been pushing for factories to close because workers are fearful of coming into contact with the virus.

The move comes after two Michigan auto assembly plants have shut down Wednesdaamid positive cases of coronavirus among workers and just one day after rejecting union calls for broader two-week plant closures...

"Gov. Andrew Cuomo on Wednesday ordered all businesses in the state to instruct at least half of their employees to work from home to help offset the spread of the coronavirus....

'I understand that this is a burden to businesses,' he said. 'I get it. I understand the impact on the economy. But in truth, we’re past that point as a nation. There is going to be an impact on the economy.'”

https://nypost.com/2020/03/18/cuomo...rom-home-order-to-fight-coronavirus-outbreak/

I listened to the Ackerman interview. It was terrifying.

He means shut down the entire nation for a month.

Y'all ain't gonna like this...

I totally agree. We are just dragging this out, transmitting and infecting more and more. The longer we go with out containment the worse on all...People, Economic and our kids.

Until we contain the virus we can not mobe on, heal and recover.

China totally locked down, mandatory quarantine, armed guards guarding the streets, infected people removed from their homes under force and it was still months and will takes years to recover Financial.

Italian number are rapidly increasing. Dr. Birx said today, we see significant increases in positives over the next 5 days due to backlog testing. We will exceed Italy.

Heck YES !!!Lock us down, now!!! Lets get this over with and move to recover.

Lockdown are the ONLY thing than flattens the curve. We will be no different.

MOO...

Last edited:
Payment holidays for mortgage holders impacted by coronavirus and maximum spend on contactless to rise to €50
(Ireland)

A three-month payment holiday for mortgage holders impacted by Covid-19 is to be put in place by all banks.

And the maximum that can be spent on contactless cards is to be raised to €50.

Also set to be announced today after the banks meet Finance Minister Paschal is an extension for the loan guarantee scheme for small firms to include those impacted by the virus.

Banks and the minister are also to announce a deferral of repossession legal actions for three months.

It will be the first time the five main banks have agreed an industry-wide payment holiday.

Payment holidays for mortgage holders impacted by coronavirus and maximum spend on contactless to rise to €50

Again, the negative test essentially proves nothing. Only that at the time of the test the host was negative. If it takes a day or two to get results, how can any therefore assume they are still negative? Idk
Dr. Jorge Rodriguez is on CNN, he agrees, it must be a “controlled” test. Idk why anyone would want it if they don’t meet the existing criteria, only because it is only good for that day & per Dr. Birx, you could develop it the same night. Jmo though. To each their own. Hopefully anyone that wants a test can get one. If so, the curve will come way down, idk if that is wise, or might make people less inclined to comprehend the severity. And what happens if a person still works, do they need a daily test?
I would want the test applied to everyone who wants it to find the positives. Why else are they at this minute denying access to the White House to anyone with a fever? They are not even COVID 19 testing the reporters they are turning away because they have fevers, instead sending them back out into the mass of society, and this is the White House doing that.

At the same time scientists are telling everyone that even people without symptoms can be very contagious. Yet, we only test people entering the White House for fevers?

Yes, they did not plan for testing. Which is, IMO, why they are now pooh poohing the idea of getting tests....after all, someone might get a negative test and sometime in the future get the virus! People are not uneducated enough to assume that one negative test means negative for life, same with HIV. One can have HIV developing from last night's indiscriminate action, yet test negative today and develop HIV in the near future. That just isn't a reason not to test, that someone might think they are permanently negative.

It is not detrimental to society to give a person a negative test when they might come down with the virus the next day. I care more about finding and tracking people who are positive at the time of the test.

Anyway, done with this, I won't change my mind. And I hope history shows clearly that the lack of testing resulted in the deaths of so many Grandmas and Grandpas in the USA. As it already has in the Seattle area where even the health care workers at the Elderly Homes could not get tests.

What are your thoughts on this:

My gym instructor is offering outdoor workouts at a local park. Everyone would bring their own mat and weights and would be stationed 6 ft apart.

I really miss this class so I'm weighing the pros and cons.

(ha..."weighing" the pros and cons...no pun intended :D)

Happy about the Navy ship coming to NYC, but it's going to take awhile, bbm

"When will Navy hospital ships deploy?
@ChiefPentSpox
says USNS Comfort is undergoing maintenance in Norfolk that is 'not a days issue, it's a weeks issue.' USNS Mercy in San Diego is 'ready to go much sooner' in 'days not weeks.'"

Elizabeth McLaughlin on Twitter

If only it had undergone maintenance sooner?

jmo

China
total infected 80,894
total deaths 3,237

Italy
total infected 35,713
total deaths 4207

The mortality rate when China was infected was 2.5%. That increased to 3.4% when Italy and Iran were infected. I'm guessing that the mortality rate for the global community is going to be a lot higher than what was initially expected: 2.5% of sick old people dying.

(see worldometer link for numbers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member