WS Members/loved ones who have Coronavirus or testing for Coronavirus (Group Hug)

otto

Verified Expert
Reaction score
This discussion is for personal stories from people who are part of this community to discuss coming into contact with the virus.

Anyone who is is isolation, quarantine, or ill, please let us know.

My son will be in isolation when he arrives in Canada in the next 24 hours, and we don't yet have a safe place for him to isolate. He can't isolate at home, regardless of the number of bathrooms and bedrooms, plates and cutlery sets. He cannot self-isolate at home because no one at home is willing to take the risk, much as we love him.

There are no facilities for him to self-isolate. I can probably trick a hotel into taking him for 2 weeks, but then what, call them to disinfect the room after he vacates?

Who else is dealing with isolate, quarantine and illness?

It's an expensive option but there are airbnbs offering themselves up to those going into self-isolation, eg this one in Melbourne Holiday Rentals, Homes, Experiences & Places - Airbnb

He's looked at Airbnb, but Airbnb did not allow him to create a new account in this emergency circumstance. He asked me if I had an Airbnb account, I don't, but he has a friend who does. Should he isolate in someone's home for 2 weeks so they can pocket a profit? It seems wrong to have him stay somewhere in self-isolation, with 50% chance of infection, anywhere except a government facility - yet there's nothing in place.

I think that every city should have a couple of floors in one hotel dedicated to those who must self-isolate. That way, everyone knows where they are, then can be monitored, and the environment can be sanitized.

otto.....Thank goodness there is no one in my life sick with the virus. I hope it stays that way...... We care.....Keep us posted about your son, please......:).......moo

He's very high risk right now traveling through LA and across the planet. He can't be around family until he's clear for at least 21 days according to me. We just don't quite know where to plant him when he gets off the plane. Get off the plane and into a taxi? That doesn't seem quite right. How does it work, and why doesn't it work better?

He's very high risk right now traveling through LA and across the planet. He can't be around family until he's clear for at least 21 days according to me. We just don't quite know where to plant him when he gets off the plane. Get off the plane and into a taxi? That doesn't seem quite right. How does it work, and why doesn't it work better?

We have a 35 year old friend who is like family who will be returning from a business trip throughout the midwest, NY and Canada. He will self quarantine for 14 days. Like you, I think it should be 21 days. His parents will drop his car off at the nearby airport and then he’ll be on his own. He lives in a cottage on his parents acreage when he’s home, so he can stay apart.

Is it possible to rent a travel trailer and either park it at your place or in a campground? I suppose it’s too cold for a tent. Do you have a spare car, or a clunker you could buy cheap that you could drop at the airport for him? I’m sure you’ve run all these scenarios already! Who knew life could get so complicated so fast?

He's looked at Airbnb, but Airbnb did not allow him to create a new account in this emergency circumstance. He asked me if I had an Airbnb account, I don't, but he has a friend who does. Should he isolate in someone's home for 2 weeks so they can pocket a profit? It seems wrong to have him stay somewhere in self-isolation, with 50% chance of infection, anywhere except a government facility - yet there's nothing in place.

I think that every city should have a couple of floors in one hotel dedicated to those who must self-isolate. That way, everyone knows where they are, then can be monitored, and the environment can be sanitized.
Atlanta Georgia is doing just that with a Radisson Hotel that had closed. Great idea!
Marietta hotel will become home to quarantined patients

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/album.php?albumid=529[/QUOTE]

This discussion is for personal stories from people who are part of this community to discuss coming into contact with the virus.

Anyone who is is isolation, quarantine, or ill, please let us know.

My son will be in isolation when he arrives in Canada in the next 24 hours, and we don't yet have a safe place for him to isolate. He can't isolate at home, regardless of the number of bathrooms and bedrooms, plates and cutlery sets. He cannot self-isolate at home because no one at home is willing to take the risk, much as we love him.

There are no facilities for him to self-isolate. I can probably trick a hotel into taking him for 2 weeks, but then what, call them to disinfect the room after he vacates?

Who else is dealing with isolate, quarantine and illness?
Can your son's Doc or the provincial health authorities help him resolve this ? Will keep you and family in my prayers.

Last edited:
We have a 35 year old friend who is like family who will be returning from a business trip throughout the midwest, NY and Canada. He will self quarantine for 14 days. Like you, I think it should be 21 days. His parents will drop his car off at the nearby airport and then he’ll be on his own. He lives in a cottage on his parents acreage when he’s home, so he can stay apart.

Is it possible to rent a travel trailer and either park it at your place or in a campground? I suppose it’s too cold for a tent. Do you have a spare car, or a clunker you could buy cheap that you could drop at the airport for him? I’m sure you’ve run all these scenarios already! Who knew life could get so complicated so fast?
This is the best solution imo. Renting a travel trailer or RV- or even one of those camping cabins- provides comfortable space, cooking appliances... and no shared halls or airspace. No matter where you go, a place would need to be sanitized of illness, so that can’t realistically be factored in to the decision. Moo

Here is a disinfectant for things like coolers, water jugs, humidifiers and other things that can endure a good sudsing - but this stuff is approved for culinary disinfection after things like e. coli and it's what reputable resellers use on such goods:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E5MXGKK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's food grade and formulated for home brewers to use, so they don't make themselves sick. It can be used on a lot of things and I think it's still available at Amazon. You don't want to do big cleaning in something like a trailer with anything caustic to the lungs unless you have many days to air out. By then, virus should be dead anyway.

And here is a product that you can spray lightly on screens, keyboards, phones, etc. I used it in my office and classroom a lot in the last couple of months:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B011A5FXWI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Unfortunately it's unavailable at Amazon but you may be able to find it locally. Check your local medical supply businesses for whatever they have that's similar.

I've been in quarantine since last Friday, symptoms since early last week but they won't test me bc I haven't traveled or been in contact (knowingly) with a confirmed case. Doctor said to just assume I have it. Fever, dry cough, fatigue, some shortness of breath, but nothing my inhaler can't handle. I had just gotten over pneumonia a week before I got sick, so I doubted I had it when I went into quarantine bc we hadn't had a confirmed case on the Island, but later found out it's been in our community since the beginning of the month. (That was quite the run on sentence!)

I'm still feeling pretty awful, and my shortness of breath has been worse today, hoping I feel a little better tomorrow. When I get sick, I stay sick forever since I'm immunocompromised (lupus, lupus nephritis, sjogren's, hashimoto's). I already have lung issues (pulmonary hypertension) so am keeping a really close eye on it.

I've been in quarantine since last Friday, symptoms since early last week but they won't test me bc I haven't traveled or been in contact (knowingly) with a confirmed case. Doctor said to just assume I have it. Fever, dry cough, fatigue, some shortness of breath, but nothing my inhaler can't handle. I had just gotten over pneumonia a week before I got sick, so I doubted I had it when I went into quarantine bc we hadn't had a confirmed case on the Island, but later found out it's been in our community since the beginning of the month. (That was quite the run on sentence!)

I'm still feeling pretty awful, and my shortness of breath has been worse today, hoping I feel a little better tomorrow. When I get sick, I stay sick forever since I'm immunocompromised (lupus, lupus nephritis, sjogren's, hashimoto's). I already have lung issues (pulmonary hypertension) so am keeping a really close eye on it.
Best wishes for a quick recovery. I know lupus is very serious indeed.

Otto, When I was in my 20s, I was in South America when a Cholera epidemic broke out. We were quarantined in Uruguay.

A few weeks later, I flew back to Toronto, taking connecting flights.(24 hours)

I stayed with my parents. Here’s what happened:

-I was picked up, but a person could drop off a car at the airport for your son to drive himself, then disinfect car.

-My luggage and clothes came off and stayed in my parents’ garage where new clothes were waiting. My items (the few I opted to return with) stayed there for three weeks and then were disinfected.

-from there, I went to the side entrance for the basement

-buffer zone between basement and rest of home.

-food, water etc. in basement. But my mom would leave meals in disposable carry out containers

I could go on, but I’m sure you get it. I just wanted to share my experience and how we did it. It was incredibly scary to think I might be exposing them, but no other choice in terms of limiting contact to the outside world unfairly (and again: I had completed quarantine, never had it, free to fly etc., but we were being cautious.)

Last edited:

Best wishes to you on getting well soon......................moo

It's an expensive option but there are airbnbs offering themselves up to those going into self-isolation, eg this one in Melbourne Holiday Rentals, Homes, Experiences & Places - Airbnb
An acquaintance had exact same problem of wanting to isolate their returning son, they found a self-contained tourist cabin in a small resort, or an old fashioned motel would do. Someplace with a kitchen and direct access outside. Loan or rent a car for him to get there

My son will be in isolation when he arrives in Canada in the next 24 hours, and we don't yet have a safe place for him to isolate.

hey @otto

we've talked a bit about your son over the last couple of weeks

im shocked to hear you couldn't find somewhere to isolate him back home in Canada, i expect he'll be there soon if he left when you told me he did

i guess the best bet is to rent an AIR BNB and yeah pay for the hospital grade clean before he moves out, its an option i guess and iv seen others who had done similar things

chances of him obtaining it from melbourne are very low but chances of him getting it getting back to Canada are probably higher since everyone is trying to get home, still the chances are low and i hope all goes well

a cabin is a great idea somewhere a little outside the city but close enough to a hospital just in case, fresh air and some isolation from others is a great idea from the poster above

I work in healthcare for a company that has clinics and healthcare centers in states all over the country. Usually I travel between the clinics but now I am providing remote support as we have cancelled all non-essential travel.

Few of our clinics are able to provide Coronavirus testing because we can’t get the tests. And we are quickly running out of PPE. I some of our clinics we don’t have any masks at all and few gloves.

We receive calls from patients who have symptoms and cannot find anyplace that can do testing. We refer them to the health department CV hotline but then they tell us they are simply advised to stay home and self-isolate.

I am wondering if any WS members have been able to be tested?

I work in healthcare for a company that has clinics and healthcare centers in states all over the country. Usually I travel between the clinics but now I am providing remote support as we have cancelled all non-essential travel.

Few of our clinics are able to provide Coronavirus testing because we can’t get the tests. And we are quickly running out of PPE. I some of our clinics we don’t have any masks at all and few gloves.

We receive calls from patients who have symptoms and cannot find anyplace that can do testing. We refer them to the health department CV hotline but then they tell us they are simply advised to stay home and self-isolate.

I am wondering if any WS members have been able to be tested?

My son just returned from Australia and he has a terrible cough and other virus related symptoms. Canada has an online survey that people complete. If they have enough symptoms and circumstances, they are provided a phone number. They are screened again over the phone. Health professionals decide whether to schedule a test. Then patients receive the location to do the test.

My son is at the stage of making the call. I'm sure he will be tested.

It sounds like Canada's health professionals might do the scheduling, and that, where you are, patients are doing the scheduling - or just showing up for a test. Is that true? Is there a screening process that filters people for the test?

We have had patients show up at our clinics asking to be tested, in nearly all of our clinics we have no CV test kits so we aren’t testing.

We advise them to call the dedicated health department CV hotline, and give them the number. They are screened by health department personnel, but unless they are high risk (over age 65, or with other chronic conditions) they aren’t offered testing but told to go home and self-quarantine.

There simply aren’t enough tests available to test everyone who needs tested.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woohoo3
Back