Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Clusters, could it be breath transmitting it? Like getting too close to speak with a person that has a weak voice due to respiratory issues? Leaning in to hear or speak to someone would almost be direct F2F contact.
Or a cluster gathered to smoke,all inhaling/exhaling?

At a wedding service people would be singing so that would mean droplets would be in the air .Singers force more air from their lungs.

I am not sure what the end goal is with this, i get that we are trying to limit the spread as much as possible by trying to isolate everybody as much as possible but once all of these lock downs and isolations are over surely its only going to take one person to start the cycle all over again until a vaccine is made? Is there something i am missing?
My take is that they will slow the spread to allow the medical community to operate as efficiently as possible. The longer someone can stay well the better chance a vaccine and treatment options may be available as well.

I am not sure what the end goal is with this, i get that we are trying to limit the spread as much as possible by trying to isolate everybody as much as possible but once all of these lock downs and isolations are over surely its only going to take one person to start the cycle all over again until a vaccine is made? Is there something i am missing?

I've posted this before, please watch the whole thing! It's basic but makes absolute sense, and it's why I am not cross that we have no lockdown yet.

CT - General Update on Changes and Investigation of an Extended Care Facility:

Daily update: Hartford police officers test positive for COVID-19; second Connecticut resident dies of disease; Gov. Ned Lamont directs nail salons, barber shops to close

Latest COVID-19 Testing in Connecticut
Last Update: March 18, 2020 | 4:30 p.m.
County
Positive Cases
Fairfield County 69
Hartford County 11
Litchfield County 5
Middlesex County 1
New Haven County 10
Total 96

Officials encourage all residents, particularly those over the age of 60, to stay home as much as possible and self-isolate upon experiencing symptoms, which include cough, fever and difficulty breathing.

Other developments related to COVID-19 in Connecticut include:

• The state Department of Education is seeking a federal waiver to suspend required standardized testing this year.
  • Because of the health crisis, the Connecticut Supreme Court has postponed oral arguments in cases scheduled to be heard March 24 to April 2. The cases will be rescheduled. No decision has been made for cases to be heard during the court’s next term.
  • The leaders of the state Democratic and Republican parties have agreed to rule changes that will allow local town committees to use “virtual voting” to fulfill upcoming obligations that include choosing officers and delegates to state nominating conventions.
  • A resident of the Roger Sherman halfway house in New Haven who was hospitalized with flu-like symptoms has tested negative for COVID-19, the state Department of Correction said. To date, nobody in the custody of the DOC has tested positive for the virus.
  • Middletown Mayor Ben Florsheim announced that a Xavier High School parent has tested positive for COVID-19. “This news confirms what we already knew was coming: the virus is here and spreading in our region," he wrote on Facebook.
  • The Department of Veterans Affairs has encouraged veterans to call in for virtual care, instead of visiting a VA facility.
Officials investigate homes for seniors
The state’s first COVID-19 death, announced Wednesday, was an 88-year-old Ridgefield man who lived at Benchmark Senior Living in Ridgefield. He died at Danbury Hospital.

State health officials have said a resident of another home for seniors in Stafford Springs has also tested positive. The 83-year-old man moved into the short-term care facility at the Evergreen Health Care Center in mid-January. Two other short-term patients have already been tested, but the results haven’t come back yet.

There were 171 patients in the facility when the virus was uncovered, although many of them are in the long-term care portion of the complex.

Thirteen staff members there have been told to self-quarantine.

Last edited:
BBM. I was informed yesterday that an older sister is being sent home to die from a lung tumor and brain cancer. It will happen within a week. I can't fly to her. And there most likely will not be a funeral because of social distancing. We might all do a video chat if she is well enough for it.

There is nothing like bad news to make you realise how lucky you are. No matter how sucky you think you have it.

sending hugs

No, not at all. We're trying to get this to come in waves (apparently) so that we can protect the lives of our healthcare workers, first responders and those in essential jobs. We have a limited number of hospital beds. Hospitals are already moving into tents outside in some places. Florida has test kits but can't buy enough swabs. Masks are now run out.

We need to slow this thing to catch up with it. New treatments are being figured out, so the next wave will benefit from what's going on right now. More respirators will be in hospitals (etc). Death rates will go down to rates comparable to a typical flu season or other respiratory viruses. It'll still be serious for the elderly (as all viruses are), but hopefully, this first huge wave will not be repeated.

Jeez Louise, I've been posting covid-19 info locally. I guess most don't want to know about this. Especially young people. I am getting ripped from one side to the other and it's requiring so much research. I'm just not doing it anymore. Only a small amount of local senior citizens want info. Whew!
Has anyone else experienced the same?

Guys. It could just be me.

This is going to sound weird.

But maybe consider giving someone you trust here a phone number or something, email, whatever, should you want to have a connection here just in case / if:

My techie spider sense is going off that internet systems are possibly generally overloaded across the board and this is just the beginning. MOO

“Not to sound like an alarmist but” - (LOL remember when we USED to say that...sadly we don’t seem to need that preface anymore.)

Anyway, I think pretty much everything I’ve said that is going to happen has already started happening, based on what we’ve learned so far from those who have come before us...

There is value in all these international posts that you might not think could affect you.

Watch what happens in other countries.

Front lines, police, FD, medical workers, etc etc same old

Anyway my point is:

Oh yeah. In case the internet goes down have a plan B for communication and contact Jmo moo.

Jumping off this further.

Everyone go to Public Health Dept and Governor’s Office in your State and write down phone numbers, etc. Moo

Just pretend the internet goes down. Make some notes moo/

hopefully a lot has been learned from Katrina re: FEMA.

Checking in on FEMA brb.

Blizzard here.

Last edited:
Jeez Louise, I've been posting covid-19 info locally. I guess most don't want to know about this. Especially young people. I am getting ripped from one side to the other and it's requiring so much research. I'm just not doing it anymore. Only a small amount of local senior citizens want info. Whew!
I almost gave up the other day posting here for the same reason. I just didn't have any more energy to argue if it was going to happen. Had a couple of people I unfriended on facebook. They were saying really stupid things. Decided I needed smarter friends.... :D:D

Me, too. A family member of mine went to a bar for St. Patrick's Day....she spends a lot of time with my 91 year old grandmother (who has a birthday tomorrow and will be sure to have visitors, even though I said it's better to call her instead) but didn't see a problem with going out and partying. Apparently it's okay because it's only 1 night a year...she's not even Irish.

We need to break the cycle of infection by testing, testing, testing, isolating, and treating those infected. Lock downs alone won't break the cycle. IMO JMO
This article explains very well.

What the U.S. Needs to do Today to Follow South Korea Model for Fighting Coronavirus

Here’s how long the coronavirus will last on surfaces, and how to disinfect those surfaces. | Live Science

Like many respiratory viruses, including flu, Covid-19 can be spread in tiny droplets released from the nose and mouth of an infected person as they cough. A single cough can produce up to 3,000 droplets. These particles can land on other people, clothing and surfaces around them, but some of the smaller particles can remain in the air. There is also some evidence that the virus is also shed for longer in faecal matter, so anyone not washing their hands thoroughly after visiting the toilet could contaminate anything they touch. .
One aspect that has been unclear is exactly how long SARS-CoV-2, the name of the virus that causes the disease Covid-19, can survive outside the human body. Some studies on other coronaviruses, including Sars and Mers, found they can survive on metal, glass and plastic for as long as nine days, unless they are properly disinfected. Some can even hang around for up to 28 days in low temperatures.
Neeltje van Doremalen, a virologist at the US National Institutes of Health (NIH), and her colleagues at the Rocky Mountain Laboratories in Hamilton, Montana, have done some of the first tests of how long SARS-CoV-2 can last for on different surfaces. Their study, which has been published in the New England Journal of Medicine, shows that the virus could survive in droplets for up to three hours after being coughed out into the air. Fine droplets between 1-5 micrometres in size – about 30 times small than the width of a human hair – can remain airborne for several hours in still air.

It means that the virus circulating in unfiltered air conditioning systems will only persist for a couple of hours at the most, especially as aerosol droplets tend to settle on surfaces faster in disturbed air.

But the NIH study found that the SARS-CoV-2 virus survives for longer on cardboard – up to 24 hours – and up to 2-3 days on plastic and stainless-steel surfaces. (Learn how to clean your mobile phone properly.)

CT - Testing update:

After an abysmal start due to absolute IMO lack of preparation by the State, CT testing is ramping up:

Daily update: Hartford police officers test positive for COVID-19; second Connecticut resident dies of disease; Gov. Lamont directs nail salons, barber shops to close

Testing capacity on the rise
The Jackson Laboratory For Genomic Medicine in Farmington announced Thursday it will begin processing COVID-19 tests next week, drastically increasing the state’s testing capacity.

The lab estimates it can currently test 100 to 150 samples a day and plans to add staff and equipment in the coming days to increase that number.

“[Testing capacity] is up 10 times in the last week, and I hope it’s going to be up 10 times again over the next week or two,” Lamont said. “Just so we can do a better job of finding out who is a carrier, making sure they’re isolated.”

The state’s ability to test has improved in recent days, as private labs and Yale New Haven Hospital have joined the state lab in processing samples. State officials say they have tested about 700 total residents during the outbreak.

Samples are collected at hospitals across the state, including at various drive-through sites, then sent to labs for processing.

Av Harris, a spokesman for the state health department, said Thursday that officials were satisfied the center had proper procedures in place. To try and speed up testing, Johnson Memorial Hospital in Stafford Springs has now been designated for drive-through testing, and Harris said the hospital is working with the private laboratory Quest Diagnostics to test more quickly.

Public health officials were also sent to the home in Ridgefield for a similar review.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine