Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even if medical equipment (esp ventilators) can be rushed to market, here's something to consider:
Are There Enough Skilled Medical Workers To Run Ventilators?

There are about 150,000 respiratory therapists. They, too, are often concentrated in large cities. The Federal Bureau of Labor Statistics says we already need more - about 21% more - in the next several years just to care for the growing number of people, often elderly people, with chronic lung disease. In a pandemic, Kallstrom said retired therapists can be pulled back, students about to graduate from two- or four-year training can start.

Some therapists have proposed ways to modify a ventilator - a machine designed for one patient - to connect it to four. But Kallstrom's group studied that and says it's not safe. The best solution, that's what the nation is doing - social distancing, self-quarantine so that fewer people get infected at once and so those ventilators - and the staff to run them - are needed over a spread-out period of time
And a hospital has to staff respiratory therapists ( RT's) 24/7.

PBSO - Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office
·

Residents beware!

There are reports of people dressing in white lab coats, wearing masks and gloves knocking on doors stating that they are from the Department of Health or the CDC and want to test residents for the #Coronavirus.

BE ADVISED Representatives from the CDC or Department of Health will not show up at your residence unannounced!

If anyone comes at your residence unannounced wearing a white lab coat, mask, and gloves and says they are a representative of the CDC or Department of Health without notifying you first, please call PBSO at 561-688-3400 or your nearest law enforcement agency.

SRSLY?

There have been increased numbers of people casing in various neighborhoods here (they walk up to the door and claim to be urgently look for a sick friend - they'll give a name if asked). But so far no one impersonating DoH or CDC - that's the lowest of the low kind of criminal mind.

Good thing we on WS are used to them.

Speaking of masks, the Virginia based company Cupron who has been making antimicrobial copper-based products for health care settings, is now making reusable masks. Hopefully, the can crank up their production.
About Cupron, Inc. | Company History
About Cupron, Inc. | Company History

The movement in the private sector in the United States, in support of the federal, state, and local government, is second to none, akin to the war effort of WW2. There is not a place on planet earth I'd rather be during this challenge than right where I am, in the U.S.A.

There will be mistakes. Hindsight is always 20/20 vision.

However, I myself, am confident a vaccine will come online, and treatment modalities will be created, to address this crisis.

My wife and I are currently in self imposed quarantine, until further notice :)

MOO MOO MOO

Jeez Louise in coastal south SMALL town— no bread after 0800. Showing a friend how to make it herself?! No yeast or flour. I just ordered & paid for a bakery for bread. Lord of the Flies coming next? I can’t sleep food tastes like styrofoam.

Darn it.

I'm sure I got rid of my breadmaker along with my crepe pan and juicer in my great kitchen cleanup of 2015

There are 7 cases in my SC county now but no worries the beach and stores are still open for the tourists. During the City Governments press conference today, there were several non-locals commenting that they were happy to hear everything is still open because they have vacations booked within the next two weeks and they will be happy to support the local businesses and restaurants. Also, the press conference was to announce the City was postponing the due dates for business licenses and taxes. Meanwhile, the grocery stores are out of milk, bread, meat, paper products and cleaning supplies and the hospital announced they are not cancelling non-essential surgeries at this time.

See, this is why I worry so about restaurants, especially drive thrus. We have zero idea what any person handling our food is experiencing. Personally, eating out is one thing I can avoid, it never was thrilling for me. I always notice things, like the host opening the door, then touching menus, passing menus out some helping bus tables....back to the door to greet new patrons, handing menus out after handling dirty dishes,to then the customer is eating finger foods......absolutely disgusting.

Lots of news by Dr S today

I was out of state yesterday listening to a local news station. They were doing the statistics on infections in the United States and surprise surprise. The most infectious number to per capita population in the United States per population was New Orleans after New York. ( sorry, consider it my opinion because I was in the hotel last night and don't have a link)

I was driving all day, and haven't been reading threads only posting YouTube live stuff for over a week unless I peeked in for a half hour, yet back home( hey honey I'm home! So happy to be home and get back to following This Thread after being away for 10 days)

Mark Zuckerberg from Facebook on the Facebook Facebook page, is going to be interviewing dr. Fauchi in 20 minutes. Let me see if I can get a link to it

Brb with link..

Facebook

Last edited:
No doubt a lot of people will be experiencing PTSD from this crisis. I already have some of the symptoms.
My college-age daughter is taking this hard. It's a huge and unexpected disruption to college students lives. Huge. So many things cancelled and it feels like life was pulled out from under them. The uncertainty is overwhelming.

I know it's become a national pastime to criticize young people, looking at the poor representation of the generation on spring break, but there are literally millions of great kids who are dealing with some very heavy issues.

Let's remember them and guide them.

jmo

The tests have been lying around in labs, evidently. So the patient has been tested but the test never tested.....wth?
This is correct. The numbers of infected will grow rapidly as testing continues. It is not reflective of a huge jump in cases, rather, it is indicative of a more accurate appraisal of the current situation.

CONNECTICUT

YALE NEW HAVEN HOSPITAL
.@ynhhealth continues to push forward efforts to screen patients for COVID-19 by using a laboratory developed test validated by the Clinical Virology Laboratory. After working seven days a week, YNHHS is now able to offer quicker testing. Visit Yale New Haven Health | COVID-19 Testing Expansion Yale New Haven Hosp on Twitter

Great step forward for @YNHH & @yalemed - standing up a lab, from scratch; going from 50 #coronavirus #covid19 tests per day to 300-400/day in one week. Great collaborations from across @yale!
(((Howard Forman))) on Twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member