Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Me too. I've seen them taking untouched bread from my dinner and putting it on the next guy's order. It was on a bread plate the whole time, but geez. Waitressing was one of my first early jobs, I learned a lot. Eating in a restaurant is something I do about once a month. Won't miss it for a second.
a few months ago I was in a local restaurant, the waitress and female bartender got into a fist fight. It was 2ish, so not real busy, but disturbing. My friend filmed it. Both gals were fired. I called corporate, they sent me $500 in gift cards. I sent them back with a note: although the physical brawl was disturbing, it was not nearly as disturbing as wat Hong wait staff carry dirty dishes from table to table, bus tubs filled with dirty dishes lining the bar, next to me, the bartender licking her fingers & twisting her pony tail.

It is no prob for me to give it up, believe me. A group I ride with get together (pre Covid) twice a week to grill steaks & potluck. We’re all sanitary and the food is much better, we take turns at dif’ houses, although I end up with them here mostly, lol. I don’t mind though. We have home raised beef and in the summer our own veggies. Much safer.

My college-age daughter is taking this hard. It's a huge and unexpected disruption to college students lives. Huge. So many things cancelled and it feels like life was pulled out from under them. The uncertainty is overwhelming.

I know it's become a national pastime to criticize young people, looking at the poor representation of the generation on spring break, but there are literally millions of great kids who are dealing with some very heavy issues.

Let's remember them and guide them.

jmo

Exactly! Younger people are freaking out, but are so caught up in very structured lives (and aspirations and anxiety) that they don't have the coping skills. They've been told by teachers (if they've taken any science) that these things are going to be real and inevitable in the 21st century (nature has a way of cutting back when we get close to carrying capacity - which we obviously are)

No other generation has been so confronted with these facts. My profs warned me - but it was a lifetime ago, I got to reproduce and live a fairly normal life. What will it really be like - in future?

They need so much support.

Most of the employees are not United States citizens either.
The cruise ships that the president says he wants to make "vibrant" are often registered in Panama, Liberia, etc, to avoid paying US wages, and a raft of other corporate cost saving reasons. Why should my US tax dollars bail out a Liberia-flagged ship?
"We have to help everybody,” Mr. Trump said at the White House. “It was nobody’s fault — certainly none of these companies that all of a sudden had no passengers, planes that had no passengers and cruise ships. They can’t be blamed for this. We want to keep those companies vibrant.”
Trump says $1 trillion coronavirus relief package will ‘help everybody’

Last edited:
You know what’s bugging me? There was an agreement between the governors of CT, NY and NJ that restaurants and bars could no longer serve in their establishments-only takeout and delivery service. May be a great idea, except that some establishments are not in compliance, and there is zero enforcement. So the places which have chosen to obey the new laws will probably go out of business, and the ones still operating like always will make all the money and spread the disease around.

It's an ARB blocker but was mentioned as possibly making covid infectivity worse. Now they are testing it as a possible treatment. So I would really like to know if it's good or bad (I am taking it personally).
"Figures show the most common in England are Ramipril, Losartan, Lisinopril and Candesartan, and were prescribed almost 65 million times last year."
Medicine taken by millions could increase the risk of catching coronavirus, scientists warn
Well, crud. I went back on BP meds last week because my BP’s borderline and I heard high blood pressure was a risk factor for serious illness if you get the virus. Now I’m thinking about stopping it. My Doctor doesn’t know. Does anybody know? Is the Sun a reputable source? Is the blood pressure meds story being covered elsewhere?

Sorry, I’m sure you guys have hashed this out already but until this week I didn’t start diving into COCID-19 info. Now I kinda wish I hadn’t.

:(

Can you get to the moon? Might be a good time to hang in space.
Also, our local dentists are consulting only, unless emergency service is needed. They are asking patients to wash hands and rinse mouth with hydrogen peroxide rinse. I have been carrying mouthwash in my car & the few Xs I was out, I used listerine. I thought maybe if any germs got in my mouth it’d kill ‘em? Thoughts?
This week in Colorado the number of cases that have tested positive for COVID-19 is as follows:

Sunday - 30
Monday - 29
Tuesday - 23
Wednesday - 33
Thursday - 61

The county I live in has the most cases and with this recent jump in COVID-19 cases I am wondering if I should stay in my apartment by myself or leave the county and stay in my truck camper away from people.

Update on gas prices here in Northern Ohio....
$1.56
Also up to 119 confirmed cases.

I am at a loss on how many people I work with that don't understand the meaning of distance. I got scolded today by HR cause I had to firmly tell someone to get away from me. Seriously people...respect people's bubbles...lol.
Hope everyone is staying healthy.

You have every right to protect yourself!

Your post really made me think more about the 1918 Spanish Flu pandemic. I want to read up on that more. Then, someone else reminded me of when people had rationing during WW2. Hardship has taught people ways that stuck with them and helped them survive. Two pounds of sugar per person per month seems more than reasonable.

View attachment 239270

On a lighter note, your post told me how to make a grill cheese sandwich on an ironing board which might come in handy someday.

When I was younger, there was rationing and couponing for gasoline. I remember it was blocks long to get gasoline and we had to sit and wait and wait and wait just to get a few gallons. I believe that must have been in the early 70s? Most people here on this thread probably are familiar with such. Just guessing the age group of folks following this thread. So yes, we have done rationing and we just took it in stride.

Me too. I've seen them taking untouched bread from my dinner and putting it on the next guy's order. It was on a bread plate the whole time, but geez. Waitressing was one of my first early jobs, I learned a lot. Eating in a restaurant is something I do about once a month. Won't miss it for a second.

I also have worked in a lot of restaurants many years ago and saw way too much hokey stuff going on to make it appetizing.

Every now and then I will chance it due to needing a bite to eat while out and about but I cringe every time I chance it.

For any Buffet style places, what got me to especially dislike buffets was the day I was eating at a buffet restaurant and I saw the staff bring out a fresh metal tray of food and dump the fresh food into the almost empty trays that only had a little bit of food left in them and they just stirred it all around. It dawned on me that some pieces of that food could end up being in that same pan for possibly weeks and weeks until the unlucky soul happened to scoop up that part that kept getting merged in with the fresh food.

I think most places would do it right and replace old metal bins with brand new hot metal bins of food but the place I was eating at did not do it that way. They just dumped new food into almost empty trays and stirred. Uggg

Those bears are teasing you. They can get a clean behind and you can't.
Frankly, many of the commercials are either irrelevant or depressing - as they often show people outside and.or having normal lives. Ads are for things that no one can or wants to think about buying at the moment.

It's like watching the past and mourning it.

My college-age daughter is taking this hard. It's a huge and unexpected disruption to college students lives. Huge. So many things cancelled and it feels like life was pulled out from under them. The uncertainty is overwhelming.

I know it's become a national pastime to criticize young people, looking at the poor representation of the generation on spring break, but there are literally millions of great kids who are dealing with some very heavy issues.

Let's remember them and guide them.

jmo

I work for a non-profit Christian based organization, Young Life and I can attest to your statement that millions of good kids are suffering right now. We as a company are scrambling to find a new normal. We’re are getting creative and holding Club over Instagram live or zoom, prayer groups are being held this way too. We are encouraging Bake-a-thons and tele-a-thons for our donors and encourage those who can to continue to send gifts. It’s a struggle but we beg for all to pray Psalms 91 together during this scary time.

In 4 to 5 days, US will be over 30,000. We are approaching 5,000 new cases today.

The number of infected is already at the projected number, most likely beyond it, it is only the testing that is lagging, but will confirm it.

However, even that number is not accurate, as there is an entire population of individuals who have this virus but show no/little symptoms and do not test.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbi708