Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Frankly, many of the commercials are either irrelevant or depressing - as they often show people outside and.or having normal lives. Ads are for things that no one can or wants to think about buying at the moment.

It's like watching the past and mourning it.
Almost like being in prison & wondering what life on the outside is like?

You know what’s bugging me? There was an agreement between the governors of CT, NY and NJ that restaurants and bars could no longer serve in their establishments-only takeout and delivery service. May be a great idea, except that some establishments are not in compliance, and there is zero enforcement. So the places which have chosen to obey the new laws will probably go out of business, and the ones still operating like always will make all the money and spread the disease around.
In my NJ town, there are no open restaurants. They have all gone to take out (and curbside pick up if you choose). We ordered from one last night. It makes sense to me to take advantage and 1) Support their business and 2) Not use my rations every night.

I'm in South Jersey. My daughter is north in Hoboken. They have a curfew. Nothing open there except takeaway coffee shops and grocery stores.

Just FYI as I can't tell you how the entire state is behaving.

Last edited:
Last edited:
You have every right to protect yourself!
Absolutely...I had asked numerous times throughout the hour and eventually had enough. I honestly could have used more appropriate words maybe...lol

To put in perspective:
I already work with cardboard boxes of product from all over the country and have to open them and remove the product from inside then divvy up the product to 608 other cardboard boxes repeatedly for 10 plus hours a day...if that's not enough it's in a small space with other people attempting to do the same thing. It's bad enough on a normal day but its concerning now for sure.

Well, crud. I went back on BP meds last week because my BP’s borderline and I heard high blood pressure was a risk factor for serious illness if you get the virus. Now I’m thinking about stopping it. My Doctor doesn’t know. Does anybody know? Is the Sun a reputable source? Is the blood pressure meds story being covered elsewhere?

Sorry, I’m sure you guys have hashed this out already but until this week I didn’t start diving into COCID-19 info. Now I kinda wish I hadn’t.

:(

No, The Sun is not known to be a particularly reputable source. Not saying they're wrong in this case as I've no idea about the medical side of things, but there are definitely more reliable and trustworthy newspapers.

Broadsheets:
The Times
The Guardian
The Telegraph

Tabloids:
The Sun
The Daily Mail
The Express
The Mirror

This also gives an overview and is quite funny in parts!
Black and White and Read All Over: A Guide to British Newspapers - Oxford Royale Academy

The BBC and ITV news channels and websites are by far your best bet for UK news. Channel 4 and Sky News decent too.

Last edited:
CT - General Update on Changes and Investigation of an Extended Care Facility:

Daily update: Hartford police officers test positive for COVID-19; second Connecticut resident dies of disease; Gov. Ned Lamont directs nail salons, barber shops to close

Latest COVID-19 Testing in Connecticut
Last Update: March 18, 2020 | 4:30 p.m.
County
Positive Cases
Fairfield County 69
Hartford County 11
Litchfield County 5
Middlesex County 1
New Haven County 10
Total 96

Officials encourage all residents, particularly those over the age of 60, to stay home as much as possible and self-isolate upon experiencing symptoms, which include cough, fever and difficulty breathing.

Other developments related to COVID-19 in Connecticut include:

• The state Department of Education is seeking a federal waiver to suspend required standardized testing this year.
  • Because of the health crisis, the Connecticut Supreme Court has postponed oral arguments in cases scheduled to be heard March 24 to April 2. The cases will be rescheduled. No decision has been made for cases to be heard during the court’s next term.
  • The leaders of the state Democratic and Republican parties have agreed to rule changes that will allow local town committees to use “virtual voting” to fulfill upcoming obligations that include choosing officers and delegates to state nominating conventions.
  • A resident of the Roger Sherman halfway house in New Haven who was hospitalized with flu-like symptoms has tested negative for COVID-19, the state Department of Correction said. To date, nobody in the custody of the DOC has tested positive for the virus.
  • Middletown Mayor Ben Florsheim announced that a Xavier High School parent has tested positive for COVID-19. “This news confirms what we already knew was coming: the virus is here and spreading in our region," he wrote on Facebook.
  • The Department of Veterans Affairs has encouraged veterans to call in for virtual care, instead of visiting a VA facility.
Officials investigate homes for seniors
The state’s first COVID-19 death, announced Wednesday, was an 88-year-old Ridgefield man who lived at Benchmark Senior Living in Ridgefield. He died at Danbury Hospital.

State health officials have said a resident of another home for seniors in Stafford Springs has also tested positive. The 83-year-old man moved into the short-term care facility at the Evergreen Health Care Center in mid-January. Two other short-term patients have already been tested, but the results haven’t come back yet.

There were 171 patients in the facility when the virus was uncovered, although many of them are in the long-term care portion of the complex.

Thirteen staff members there have been told to self-quarantine.

High high rate of police infections to date it seems unfortunately. Just as I predicted sadly.

Do we have a running list of LE & FD & Military -

Better get ahead of it now. Otherwise it’ll be like the “too many Iranian politicians to name”
moo.

And where are we with US / Canadian / Brazilian / ETC infections re: politicians and political leaders.

We are about to get rocked so hard but you know what? All those infinite military articles I’ve been posting, they’re on it. And I’m a patriotic *advertiser censored* when it comes to stuff like this so let’s get er done.

Honestly it’s my faith in the military right now that I’m holding onto.

Oh and this / positive music:

“The days grow shorter and the nights are getting long
Feels like we're running out of time...

[...]

Don't get discouraged, don't be afraid, we can
Make it through another day
Make it worth the price we pay
The Good Book says it's better to give than to receive
I do my best to do my part
Nothin' in my pockets I got nothin' up my sleeve
I keep my magic in my heart
Keep up your spirit, keep up your faith, baby
I am counting on you
You know what you've got to do
Fight the good fight every moment
Every minute every day
It's your only way
All your life you've been waiting for your chance
Where you'll fit into the plan
But you're the master of your own destiny
So give and take the best that you can
You think a little more money will buy your soul some rest
You'd better think of something else instead
You're so afraid of being honest with yourself
You'd better take a look inside your head
Nothing is easy, nothing good is free
But I can tell you where to start
Take a look inside your heart
There's an answer in your heart
Every minute every day
Every moment of your lifetime
Every minute every day
Source: LyricFind
Songwriters: Mike Levine / Gil Moore / Rik Emmett
Fight the Good Fight lyrics © Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC, Universal Music Publishing Group

Last edited:
Two people from the concert tested positive. They could've infected some other college students we kicked out of their dorms yesterday and sent home to various areas. Hard to get the word out now.

Crssd Festival: 2 people test positive for coronavirus

"SAN DIEGO — On March 7 and 8, the Crssd Music Festival welcomed thousands for an electronic music concert at Waterfront Park, despite worldwide concerns over COVID-19. On Thursday, March 19, organizers confirmed that two people that attended the festival have tested positive for coronavirus."

Old Navy closing stores due to COVID-19 outbreak

( : panic: )

Seriously, it’s more like who’s NOT closing right now moo.

I wonder if stores are closing because they know they will lose less money if they close and let the government take over payments for unemployment insurance? Don't know.

As an aside.. public service announcement that we discussed in thread 3 I think.

Something to have in your medicine cabinet, especially for people that might be elderly like most of us here are LOL. Is something that is very cheap but very very cool that I purchased because of this thread and what dr. Campbell said.

A pulse oximeter.

I usually run at 99% or 100% oxygen. I am down today probably because of allergies and I just got back to my home and it is pollen full. But if you want to talk to your doctor about you are having breathing problems, he would get you into the hospital really quick if you said my pulse oximeter said I am at 91%. Just saying.

I purchased it off Amazon and it is the same brand that dr. Campbell showed on his video about two months ago. If I recall correctly it was about $18.

Now knowing what I know, this is a must-have in every single medicine cabinet for all of us. My opinion.

20200319_191610.jpg

Things like this permanently turn me off.
Chinese restaurant caught with roadkill in kitchen, Ky. report says
during our hep’ outbreak I wondered if it started intentionally by a group thinking it was funny.
No wonder we are plagued with diseases.
For the rest of my life, I’ll live more on guard. The Covid seems so stubborn, i need more than a vaccine to believe its no longer lurking on a door handle, gas pump, or a store shelf.
I also have worked in a lot of restaurants many years ago and saw way too much hokey stuff going on to make it appetizing.

Every now and then I will chance it due to needing a bite to eat while out and about but I cringe every time I chance it.

For any Buffet style places, what got me to especially dislike buffets was the day I was eating at a buffet restaurant and I saw the staff bring out a fresh metal tray of food and dump the fresh food into the almost empty trays that only had a little bit of food left in them and they just stirred it all around. It dawned on me that some pieces of that food could end up being in that same pan for possibly weeks and weeks until the unlucky soul happened to scoop up that part that kept getting merged in with the fresh food.

I think most places would do it right and replace old metal bins with brand new hot metal bins of food but the place I was eating at did not do it that way. They just dumped new food into almost empty trays and stirred. Uggg

Whoa. We're up to 23 cases in Idaho. That's from one case less than a week ago.
March 13--1st case.
March 18--11 cases.
March 19-- 23 cases.
Blaine County (Sun Valley Resort,Hailey, Ketchum) has 16 cases. Two health care providers.
Governor just announced isolation for Blaine County.

My DH and I canceled our trip to NYC. By the time we talked to our kids on the weekend, we'd already realized we couldn't go.
We have a family funeral service in central Idaho in a few days, that has been downsized from viewing on one day and church service and graveside the next day; to just graveside on one day. Out of state family canceled their attendance. Will be livestreamed. I feel a little uncomfortable about going to the service, but it's only going to be a handful of family members. After losing the trip to see kids and grandchild, and losing a close family member, I'm not going to ask my DH to not go to the service.

When I was younger, there was rationing and couponing for gasoline. I remember it was blocks long to get gasoline and we had to sit and wait and wait and wait just to get a few gallons. I believe that must have been in the early 70s? Most people here on this thread probably are familiar with such. Just guessing the age group of folks following this thread. So yes, we have done rationing and we just took it in stride.
I remember that cars with license plates that ended on an even number could only buy gas on even number days of the month and the same with license plate ending in an odd number only allowed to buy gas on odd numbered days of the month. Doctors were allowed to buy gas on any day.

I think this is much worse than the energy crisis but I was a kid then so maybe I didn't realize the severity of it then.

Thanks, I just can't believe the selfishness of it all...one night out is not worth my grandmother's life. This family member thinks it's "just a flu" and she's young and healthy so it won't be any big deal. I don't want to be told I'm fear-mongering...I'm just trying to keep people informed so that they make good decisions.
You sound like the only voice of reason.

I wonder if stores are closing because they know they will lose less money if they close and let the government take over payments for unemployment insurance? Don't know.
A friend that owns a small store has catastrophe insurance, she’ll get a percentage of lost revenue back, she thinks. Where I’m at stores were ordered to close.
Lowe’s, WMT, Kroger and discount chains remain open.
Since one can get alcoholic drinks to go, I wonder how many DUIs will be issued tonight.

Exactly! Younger people are freaking out, but are so caught up in very structured lives (and aspirations and anxiety) that they don't have the coping skills. They've been told by teachers (if they've taken any science) that these things are going to be real and inevitable in the 21st century (nature has a way of cutting back when we get close to carrying capacity - which we obviously are)

No other generation has been so confronted with these facts. My profs warned me - but it was a lifetime ago, I got to reproduce and live a fairly normal life. What will it really be like - in future?

They need so much support.
Comforting my students via email and some phone calls has become my new full time. That is in addition to getting their lessons to them via Google Classroom. I teach 9th and 10th graders. They miss their routine and many are very scared. Last week, I noticed many were going to the hand sanitizer frequently and many seemed concerned. I think most of them have their heads on right. What we are seeing in FL is a large concentration of risk takers and they are not representative of the whole.

MOO

Now is the time to self quarantine if you can. This is what my wife and I are doing. We are not having any interaction with others, save via phone, text, or speaking with a neighbor from a safe distance.

We have chosen to not go to any place of business, for any reason.

When we need re-supply we will take that step, but it may not be for quite some time.

Here is an excellent article on what appears to be the current objective of U.S. and other government bodies to fight the outbreak.

"The research also found that if interventions in the country could have been conducted one week, two weeks, or three weeks earlier, cases could have been reduced by 66 percent, 86 percent and 95 percent respectively – significantly limiting the geographical spread of the disease. However, if NPIs were conducted one week, two weeks, or three weeks later than they were, the number of cases may have shown a 3-fold, 7-fold, or 18-fold increase, respectively."

Early And Combined Interventions Crucial In Tackling Covid-19 Spread In China | University of Southampton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288