Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #31

Status
Not open for further replies.
Harris County (Houston area) TX reporting 3 RECOVERED patients. Good news, but it is buried way down in the written article.

1st COVID-19 death reported in Harris County
We have 3 cases here in Gloucester County NJ. One is in the hospital in stable condition. One (is wife) is home, showing no symptoms. One (not related) is also home and is doing well. There are many folks who are not dying from this virus.

So there is that bit of good news to hang on to. IMO

Well this is one writers opinion , and what he thinks is the reason people are hoarding tp - apparently we're biologically programmed to hoard - like birds and squirrels.

There's plenty of toilet paper in the US – so why are people hoarding it?

honestly, the writer of this article can spare me the BS psychology---lots of
people are not hoarding and i have no use for the selfish peop!e who are-
they simply dont care about anyone but themselves--they make me sick

[bbm]

what else can you do? do they deliver?
I’m going to ask, they may be willing for a fee. We are going to have our fencing delivered so if we end up locked down (without symptoms) we can continue to work outside. Not going to string 2000 feet of fence if I’m not feeling well, it’s difficult if I’m feeling great.

Oh nice that you got out! I heard a diaper shortage was going on here, once a truck arrives,they sell put. Idk. You do mean baby diapers, not adult? Lol I could not resist....
Earlier I posted a doctor on a news program thinks we should not be outdoors. I wish everyone would give the same info. Weather permitting, I’ll be outside. I can do all my inside tasks on a rainy day or at night.
Our governor suggests socializing, with distance. Idk. I’m torn. Although most of my friends are a specific group that don’t hand in public places much. We’re not into the bar/restaurant scene at all. We do haul our horses from farm to farm to move cattle. So, there’s that——riding in a truck with another 4 or 5! Hard to have any distance.
I am sporadically visiting with friends. I request a safe distance and meeting in open air, in my case the local park.

Today I sat with a friend for a bit. The park had people walking their dogs or just enjoying fresh air but as I posted earlier it's pretty big so everyone has lots of space. Snippets of conversation that I overheard was mostly about the virus. One person was complaining that they can't find diapers. I'm not sure I believe it since the local Safeway and QFC seem to be stocked well. we also have a number of small convenience stores open that should have diapers. Maybe I misheard.

Troubled youth were my specialty :) Born out of this crisis will be the likes of innovation, leadership, networks, advances in medicine, and a whole HUGE list of things we cannot at the moment conceive.

Our youth are watching. They are watching closely.

I often say that we should not be so concerned that young people are doing what we ask, rather, that they are watching what we do.

They will persevere.

We are globally challenged with a pandemic. It is a terrible thing, I admit. However, we must move forward with steady resolve to solve that with which we are confronted.

For me, I will choose to attempt to be part of the solution moving forward.

MOO

So, do you think some of us are choosing to be part of the problem? You've intimated that in the past. I sure hope not.

My teaching has been primarily in inner cities. I am not a white person. I have a good idea of what it's like to teach "troubled youth." I've taught in jails. In prisons. In mental hospitals. And youth programs. Also, in cultural contexts that are outside the mainstream. Including in other countries.

I am definitely part of the solution - but thinking of the next generation as automatically endowed with solutions is a really iffy position. MOO.

Are you still teaching? I am. So are many of my family members. How many students do you deal with daily? I'm very curious. I have 370 right now. Now. During this crisis. My youngest student is 13 (I get some homeschooled kids). My oldest is 62, with the average age being 24. They are in the middle of the pack, in terms of our nation's educational scheme. They want to help - but they need actual knowledge.

Moving forward without a firm grasp on facts is a fool's errand. And the next generation needs a solid background in science. I'm very glad that I (and my colleagues) can help.

I have quite a following (of students) on FB. Unabated optimism is not what attracted them, but a desire to understand empirical reality is definitely something that some of them want. They are graduating high school without knowing that most of our oxygen comes from plants. They can't be leaders if they don't know that (and they sure can't be nurses, teachers, respiratory techs lawyers, etc., if they don't know a lot more).

They also don't know how the world works. It's gonna take a lot more than the classroom to teach them that - and therefore, field experience (or whatever you want to call it) is key. You can't just stand there and teach them how to triage people in theory. (I teach at police academies as well as regular classes).

I have been hunting toilet paper for over a week and there is none to be found in my area. NONE. I'm down to three rolls and have absolutely no clue on what I'm going to do after those rolls are gone. I don't understand why there is no toilet paper being shipped and stocked in the stores. Puzzling.
You could take Sheryl Crow's advice of "one square per visit." A roll could last you maybe a month. I've thought of that ridiculous idea of hers many times and chuckled.
Love her music though.
Sheryl Crow accused of hypocrisy after 'limit toilet paper' plea | Daily Mail Online

Yeah. Imagine if FDR told the states that each governor was responsible for defending against invasions and attacks by the Axis. We're all Americans. And not every governor is approaching with the same level of urgency.

States also don't have the financial resources. They don't have their own currency and can't run up debt to finance big emergency expenses for things like this.

I forgot to add in my previous post, I took the dogs for the 2 mile walk when I got home. We live in very rural area and there are no shoulders so we have to stand in the ditch when there is traffic and never anyone walking. Due to shut downs we found people walking with their kids. Apparently walking with a Doberman and a pit bull look alike with knife on your hip screams of “social distancing”. They even told their kids to stay away. Normally I would feel mildly putout although the pit mix is new and not so sure about wee ones. Today I appreciated the space the gave us.

Last edited:
I wonder where the president gets his information. One would hope that he has the top resource people in the world to guide him, but I'm not at all convinced this is so.
I bet his information is more credible than Bloomberg's twitter. He did jump the gun a bit, but he is trying to give us all glimmers of hope.

FDA testing coronavirus treatments, including chloroquine, plasma from recovered COVID-19 patients
FDA testing coronavirus treatments, including chloroquine, plasma from recovered COVID-19 patients – TechCrunch
Despite a claim early in Thursday’s White House briefing on the pandemic by President Donald Trump that one proposed treatment, anti-malarial chloroquine, had already been approved by the FDA for COVID-19 treatment, Hahn said that in fact the agency is currently looking at widespread clinical trials of the drug, but it is not yet approved for that use.

“In the short term, we’re looking at drugs that are already approved for other indications,” Dr. Hahn said. “Many Americans have read studies and heard media reports about this drug chloroquine, which is an anti-malarial drug. It’s already approved, as the president said, for the treatment of malaria [Trump had not said this, but had instead said it was now approved for COVID-19] as well as an arthritis condition. That’s a drug that the president has directed us to take a closer look at, as to whether an expanded use approach to that could be done to actually see if that benefits patients. And again, we want to do that in the setting of a clinical trial, a large pragmatic clinical trial to actually gather that information and answer the question that needs to be answered.”

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update: FDA Continues to Facilitate Development of Treatments
The FDA wants to assure the American public that the agency continues to work with partners across the U.S. government and regulated industry to expedite the development and availability of critical medical products to prevent and treat this novel virus, including repurposing existing therapies that may help treat patients with COVID-19.

“As is true for most medical situations, the great American innovators in academia and industry have engaged with us about treatment options. We are extremely encouraged by the interest and promise in the development of the COVID-19-related therapies. We understand and recognize the urgency with which we are all seeking prevention and treatment options for COVID-19. FDA staff are working expeditiously on that front” said FDA Commissioner Stephen Hahn, M.D. “We also must ensure these products are effective; otherwise we risk treating patients with a product that might not work when they could have pursued other, more appropriate, treatments. At the same time, we will engage with domestic manufacturers to ramp up production of this product to mitigate any potential supply chain pressures. If clinical data suggests this product may be promising in treating COVID-19, we know there will be increased demand for it. We will take all steps to ensure chloroquine remains available for patients who take it to treat severe and life-threatening illnesses such as lupus.”

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member