Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #31

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO some people are afraid that utilities will go down so they're treating the pandemic like they would a hurricane, tornado or earthquake. I'd be shocked if we lost electricity or water treatment - the physical plants aren't in harm's way and can be manned with precautions in place.

Such a good topic. I don't understand why everyone went and took all the bottled water (and then complain later that they forgot protein).

I had my students compile short lists of things they could/would actually eat and then input into an app to see if they were hitting all their nutrition points (they weren't). OTOH, if pineapple upside down cake is your thing and makes you feel happy (produces endorphins) then perhaps it belongs on the list.

Depends a lot on how long this goes on.

An interesting thing (as compared to 20 years ago), is that so many people have specific food sensitivities, allergies and preferences. Within one household, it's hard for food purchasers (only 2% of my students purchase their own food). They are learning from their moms and grandmas how to provision without needing trips to grocery stores (which they don't usually make themselves - but the risk is less for them, they should start shopping a bit for their families).

We aren't going to lose electricity or water. This isn't an earthquake or a hurricane.

Most people don't truly understand the difference between a virus and a bacteria, which is probably where the MSM should start if they want to be helpful. Of course, that would be a stretch (since there's little investigative journalism these days and most "journalists" are college kids who are paid less than minimum wage for their stringer reports).

Guy coughs up blood then gets on a plane to LAX...sorry but its time to shut down domestic flights in my book but hey

OR expect that individuals with such issues not be permitted in airports? Yeah, like that's gonna happen. Better to shut down the world economy (but hey - what terrible repercussions we'll see from that).

Tuberculosis is still a thing (and on the rise), just so people are aware that CorVId19 isn't the only thing to worry about.

Funny thing is when I was growing up, a truck used to ride trough our neighborhood spraying for mosquitoes. We kids used to ride our bikes behind it...in the spray. I say bring on the CV sprayer. :eek:

OMG, I remember that too! It was so exciting!

Don’t clog up the toilet

Goodnight zzzzz no night shift moo

Wise words - tissues and other non TP products can clog septic tanks and sewers. Be careful!

“Meanwhile, Politico reported on Wednesday that about 500 DHS employees are in quarantine because of the coronavirus with at least 13 confirmed cases. Politico obtained DHS documentation that showed these previously undisclosed numbers.

The 500 million respirator masks the president said the government ordered could take up to 18 months to be delivered according to the grant application, Bloomberg Law reported. There has been a mass shortage of masks among health care workers.”

(snipped for brevity)

Sigh. I am not surprised the 500,000 masks aren't showing up (if they actually existed and were purchased).

18 months. What a mess.

We have 3 cases here in Gloucester County NJ. One is in the hospital in stable condition. One (is wife) is home, showing no symptoms. One (not related) is also home and is doing well. There are many folks who are not dying from this virus.

So there is that bit of good news to hang on to. IMO

Once again, 80% of people who get this are not dying. Of people aged 79 and older, it looks like 20-25% may die.

For people in their 50's, probably about 1.5-2%

Each person faces a small risk of death, but the older population faces a much larger risk.

The news has been the same since this first broke. Overall death rates look to be 3-4%. OTOH, if someone offered me some candy and said that 3% of the lovely little chocolates would kill me, I'd probably pass.

Okay. I give up.

The stories of my grandfather working on war projects that happened *FAST* are ingrained enough in me that I thought we could make masks for our front-line workers. But....I guess it's silly of me to think that.

I'm enlightened now. The task is too big. Got it.

I'm dropping the topic.

jmo

Our country should always have factories available and ready to make medical supplies. We should not rely on another country in case they get ill first or refuse to sell to us.

LA County orders closure of nonessential businesses due to coronavirus – Daily News

Los Angeles County has ordered the closure of all malls, shopping centers, playgrounds and nonessential retail businesses in its latest attempt to stem the spread of the new coronavirus.

The order, which comes into effect at 11:59 p.m. on Thursday, also prohibits all indoor public and private gatherings with 10 or more people.

Residents are still allowed to go outdoors and partake in activities like hiking and walking; they can also shop at essential businesses, such as grocery stores, and restaurants offering delivery, drive-thru or takeout service, according to the order.
-------------------
It's official. "Stay at Home"

Last edited:
Fortunately for human beings, a pathogen like 2019-nCoV cannot have its cake and eat it too. The virus cannot be both deadly and undetectable. To illustrate, we can consider the hypothetical examples of a severe and a non-severe respiratory virus.

With a more severe symptoms profile, a respiratory infection will have more sudden onset, earlier symptoms, a higher chance of severity and death, and it will probably cause patients to report to hospitals at an earlier stage of infection. An outbreak of a respiratory virus like this will typically be deadly but containable.

With a less severe symptoms profile, patients may stay in an asymptomatic or mildly symptomatic state for a long time, symptoms appearance may be more gradual than sudden, and progression to hospitalization and death would be rare. An infection like this is difficult to detect and thus difficult to control, but fortunately it is much less lethal.
What is a super spreader? An infectious disease expert explains
Bbm: ianad but suspected all along younger folks had this & continued on as normal. I think a young person is unlikely to seek medical care for a cold, an older person with medical issues probably does so often. If this is true, hard to say how many are infected.

Last edited:
I wonder where the president gets his information. One would hope that he has the top resource people in the world to guide him, but I'm not at all convinced this is so.

Looks like the president was on point. Bloomberg was most likely being political, not a good look during these4 times.
Bayer says it's donated 3 million tablets of Resochin (chloroquine phosphate) to US govt, working with agencies for Emergency Use Authorization for the drug in the US for #COVID19
Meg Tirrell on Twitter

One of my favorite movies is On the Beach, science fiction, from 1959. It is set in Australia after World War III. Australia is the only remaining habitable country for mankind after a nuclear war has wiped out the rest of the world’s population. Wind currents carrying lingering radiation will arrive in Australia within five months. The residents know it is coming and there is nothing they can do to prevent it.

When we first heard about Corona Virus in China and knew it was only a matter of time before it arrived here in the US I was reminded of this movie.

So, do you think some of us are choosing to be part of the problem? You've intimated that in the past. I sure hope not.

My teaching has been primarily in inner cities. I am not a white person. I have a good idea of what it's like to teach "troubled youth." I've taught in jails. In prisons. In mental hospitals. And youth programs. Also, in cultural contexts that are outside the mainstream. Including in other countries.

I am definitely part of the solution - but thinking of the next generation as automatically endowed with solutions is a really iffy position. MOO.

Are you still teaching? I am. So are many of my family members. How many students do you deal with daily? I'm very curious. I have 370 right now. Now. During this crisis. My youngest student is 13 (I get some homeschooled kids). My oldest is 62, with the average age being 24. They are in the middle of the pack, in terms of our nation's educational scheme. They want to help - but they need actual knowledge.

Moving forward without a firm grasp on facts is a fool's errand. And the next generation needs a solid background in science. I'm very glad that I (and my colleagues) can help.

I have quite a following (of students) on FB. Unabated optimism is not what attracted them, but a desire to understand empirical reality is definitely something that some of them want. They are graduating high school without knowing that most of our oxygen comes from plants. They can't be leaders if they don't know that (and they sure can't be nurses, teachers, respiratory techs lawyers, etc., if they don't know a lot more).

They also don't know how the world works. It's gonna take a lot more than the classroom to teach them that - and therefore, field experience (or whatever you want to call it) is key. You can't just stand there and teach them how to triage people in theory. (I teach at police academies as well as regular classes).

Each individual can do a self appraisal and answer whether he/she is being helpful in moving forward in terms of the pandemic. I post that out there in hopes of stimulating thought on the matter. But to be frank, yes, I sense there are those on this website, and elsewhere, who appear to have motives other than being helpful. To deny that would be naive in my opinion.

I am retired for almost 2 years now. The high school I was in had an average of 1,200 students.

From reading your post, it appears to me your experience differs from mine, possibly geographical, maybe international, I don't know where you are from. No worries.

With online discourse there is so much room for misinterpretation. I try hard to not personalize things. I do, however, state my opinion if I think it would be helpful, or if I think an alternative opinion to the general discourse is needed.

There are Doctors, Plumbers, Framing Carpenters, Electricians, Lawyers, Business Leaders, Nurses, Contractors, Computer Techs, Musicians, Teachers, Tattoo Artists, Welders, Cab Drivers, Politicians, Marines, ad infinitum among our youth. I believe in them. I know many.

It is time to self quarantine in the U.S.A. and elsewhere. If you can, I highly recommend it.

peace

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member