Grocery shopping tips during Coronavirus quarantine

Status
Not open for further replies.
On a positive note...
I was able to place my first online pick up/delivery orders through whole food and WMT. Friday afternoon is my time slots.
Thank you to those who suggested and referred to participating that way yourselves. Next, I will try Instacart.

jmo

On a positive note...
I was able to place my first online pick up/delivery orders through whole food and WMT. Friday afternoon is my time slots.
Thank you to those who suggested and referred to participating that way yourselves. Next, I will try Instacart.

jmo

Check Peapod.com too, if they deliver in your area.

Walmart's stores will now open one hour early on Tuesdays for senior shoppers only.
Walmart to open one hour early for senior-only shopping on Tuesdays, changing store hours

Walmart, the largest retailer in America, is shortening its hours even further as the coronavirus pandemic -- and demand for necessities -- escalates. Beginning today, many of Walmart's 4,700 US stores will be open 7 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. until further notice. Walmart shortens its hours even further and takes new measures to fight coronavirus - CNN

ATLANTA — Atlanta Community Food Bank is offering a new feature to help families and senior citizens that need food during the coronavirus crisis.

The new "Text for Help" feature will identify the three closest food pantries to you when you text "findfood" (no spaces) or "comida" (Spanish) to 888-976-2232. Texters will be prompted to give their zip code.

If no food pantries are available in a 10-mile radius, the app will direct you to the nearest pantry in a neighboring zip code.

“One in seven Georgians are food insecure. With statistics like this, the new text program for locating food will prove an invaluable resource for a great number of children and adults facing hunger in our area,” said Kyle Waide, President and CEO of the Atlanta Community Food Bank.

The food bank says that this feature will remain in effect after the current pandemic.

Food bank offers 'help' for metro Atlanta during COVID-19 crisis

I tend to post when the threads close which is probably great for my husband if you’ve been following along our isolation saga.

Today the fancy box of salami he ordered came. I asked him to add in some staples and he got a $9 jar of pasta sauce. That’s it, salami we can’t eat until Lent is over and a tiny jar of overpriced pasta sauce. He’s not allowed to help ever again.

In good news, a local farm started offering boxes and bundles of their organic pasture raised meat since their restaurant orders dried up. We love seeing them at the farmers market and were able to make a big order and stock our freezer. I hadn’t thought of it before I randomly saw their Facebook post so if you live in an area with family farms, it’s something to consider. They are likely really struggling and would appreciate the business PLUS you don’t have to go to a crowded store!

I tend to post when the threads close which is probably great for my husband if you’ve been following along our isolation saga.

Today the fancy box of salami he ordered came. I asked him to add in some staples and he got a $9 jar of pasta sauce. That’s it, salami we can’t eat until Lent is over and a tiny jar of overpriced pasta sauce. He’s not allowed to help ever again.

In good news, a local farm started offering boxes and bundles of their organic pasture raised meat since their restaurant orders dried up. We love seeing them at the farmers market and were able to make a big order and stock our freezer. I hadn’t thought of it before I randomly saw their Facebook post so if you live in an area with family farms, it’s something to consider. They are likely really struggling and would appreciate the business PLUS you don’t have to go to a crowded store!

We have a farmer doing the same with pork and vegis and a few other things. They also deliver for $5!

I noticed Lonetraveler had a comment about toilet paper not being available and I have the same question: i mean this is the United States of America- i know people are hoarding but how come Costco and other supermarkets don't have toilet paper? you mean there is a shortage? i read there isn't so what is the deal.

There are those who take advantage of the absence of tourists in Italy. The clearer waters in Venice makes it possible to see fish, and seabirds and swans are seen on the water. Dolphins have also been seen near the coasts, when there are no longer so much boat traffic disturbing them. Venice's Canals Are Beautifully Clear and Dolphins Are Swimming Through Its Ports As Italy's Coronavirus Lockdown Cuts Down on Water Traffic (Video)

There are many wonderful planetary side effects to our human crisis.

[bbm]

it's interesting to me how different locations have different shortages
lots of bananas here every week for the past month? 6 weeks? I've lost track of time

I find it interesting too. Here, there are very few frozen pizzas around. Tortillas? Corn - yes, flour no.

No bread in general. Lots of potato chips. LOTS.

Cheetos! But not lettuce.

These supply shortages should work themselves out. I hope every shares essentials with friends and family (and neigbors, if you trust them).

Toilet paper this afternoon at our WalMart- an employee was handing it out. 1 per customer. Didn't last long. Our Superintendent spent his own money to provide 250 Happy Meals (for the kids), to the N end of our county today- as meals wont be delivered up there until tomorrow. Hubs is good- seems to have it down- twice as much work than the classroom he says. If he could just learn to use his "inside voice", not his "inside a large classroom" voice. :)

There are many wonderful planetary side effects to our human crisis.

I find it interesting too. Here, there are very few frozen pizzas around. Tortillas? Corn - yes, flour no.

No bread in general. Lots of potato chips. LOTS.

Cheetos! But not lettuce.

These supply shortages should work themselves out. I hope every shares essentials with friends and family (and neigbors, if you trust them).

everyone's been buying basic essentials; once stocked up, go back for the junk food ...

If you can’t find bread, try flour and yeast. You can make bread really easily without any special type of pans. Just flour, salt, water, yeast.

Homemade Artisan Bread Recipe + Video | Sally's Baking Addiction

And yet somehow my daughter and I managed to mess up the recipe we tried today (not this one)! We made something that sort of resembles bread and vaguely tastes like bread. It's bread-adjacent. LOL

We'll try again. At least we had fun.

And yet somehow my daughter and I managed to mess up the recipe we tried today (not this one)! We made something that sort of resembles bread and vaguely tastes like bread. It's bread-adjacent. LOL

We'll try again. At least we had fun.

I only started baking bread this Christmas and for me the key is figuring out what the dough is supposed to look like- there are good YouTube videos! Also I make mine in a dutch oven on a piece of parchment paper. For some reason you dump the dough on the parchment in there and it always manages to come out edible lol

Walmart to pay special cash bonuses, hire 150,000 workers in response to coronavirus demand

KEY POINTS
  • Walmart said that it would pay special cash bonuses to its hourly employees for working during the coronavirus pandemic.
  • The bonuses will be $300 for full-time hourly associates and $150 for part-time hourly associates.
  • Walmart said it is also hiring 150,000 new associates through the end of May.
106422372-1583253995153rtx7ashh.jpg

A customer pays for her groceries after shopping at a Walmart store ahead of the Thanksgiving holiday in Chicago.
Kamil Krzaczynski | Reuters

Walmart said Thursday that it would spend $365 million to pay cash bonuses to its hourly employees for working during the coronavirus pandemic as customers flock to its stores to stock up on items.

The bonuses will be $300 for full-time hourly associates and $150 for part-time hourly associates. Every hourly associate employed by the company as of March 1 will qualify, and the bonuses will pay out on April 2.

The company will also pay store, club and supply chain associates $180 million for their next scheduled bonuses a month early.

Walmart is the largest grocer in the U.S. and has seen a boost in sales as people buy food, toilet paper, hand sanitizer and other items as they prepare to stay at home amid rising cases of the coronavirus.

Walmart said it is also hiring 150,000 new associates through the end of May to work in stores, clubs, distribution centers and fulfillment centers in response to growing demand due to the epidemic. The jobs will be temporary, but many will become permanent over time.

Earlier this week, Amazon said it would hire an additional 100,000 employeesin the U.S. to meet the surge in demand from online shopping amid the coronavirus outbreak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radnewal