Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #31

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our country should always have factories available and ready to make medical supplies. We should not rely on another country in case they get ill first or refuse to sell to us.

Tell that to your corporate overlords. Or your government representatives. This is a 60 year long trend we need to change. I don't have the capital to start a swab business of any kind. Help, Elon1

'Politico' reported that. I wonder how credible the info is?

No way of knowing (there are other sources, too tired to look them up). I'll believe "more masks" when the medical personnel in the Western US get their hands on them. 500,000 is a lot. Where are they? The military said they're going to add 1 million to that number (from their stockpile).

We're waiting. People are still reusing masks.

(And people who shouldn't be using them are still buying and using them).

I wonder if genetics is a component of how your body reacts to the virus, much like many other diseases. Hmm...off to see what I can find out.

I found this article interesting. Some of us have gene mutations that may make us immune to some viruses. (Article written prior to COVID-19 outbreak.):
At present, scientists are trying to infect such resistant cells with bubonic plague bacteria to test the hypothesis that the mutation in the CCR-5 receptor gene could have thwarted the plague in the Middle Ages, as it does HIV today.
Evolution: Library: Double Immunity

Does anyone have any reliable info on what's going on in the country of Turkey? Some American friends of mine who live abroad are stranded there right now. They had to leave the country they live in due to their visas being close to expiring and then they were informed no visas would be renewed/issued until after the Corona Virus pandemic passes. Now they can't return to the country they have lived in for several years and can't get to the US either. There is either some issue getting a flight or difficulty getting paperwork to return to the US-- I'm not sure what is going on. They couldn't elaborate. Their communications are probably monitored. I tried Googling but didn't come up with anything to explain why my friends are stuck there. I hope they are not about to be imprisoned. :( Anyone have some good news on Turkey?

ETA: It might be because flights to UK are canceled? Turkey bans flights from the UK due to the coronavirus outbreak

Conway Medical Center - Myrtle Beach 1 patient positive for Covid 19 . My daughter is an ICU nurse here. They have 7 other patients waiting on test results. They are short on supplies - reusing masks, only allowed to wear gowns for contact patient care, N95s locked up and only used for procedures that would cause the patient to expel droplets. All of this against the arguments the Infectious Disease Doctor made to the administrators but all within the guidance of the CDC due to supply shortage. I am terrified for her.

Conway Medical Center confirms 1st positive coronavirus case

I'm so sorry escape2sc! These brave people on the front lines of this virus are something else~they train for this life and they give 100%. I know your daughter is an angel to her patients.
I'm most concerned about our health providers, nurses and doctors in this. Terrified as you say. God protect your daughter and your family.
This is surreal on an hourly basis.

I have a daughter in Conway at CCU, studying biology. I have another daughter in Clemson who was accepted into the MUSC physicians assistant program which starts in May. She is coming home to CHS but told me last night she isn't sure if the plans have changed.

Please share or vent if needed.

It works but DO NOT throw it into the toilet. It clogs up the pipes because it doesn't disintegrate like TP does.

Oh good to know- thank you. The last thing we all need is an emergency plumber having to come in to the house.

Hazmat suit would be required- both for my protection from him, and for his protection from any aerosol plumes....

"American Airlines is grounding 55,000 flights in April and is parking 450 planes...
All long-haul international flights were suspended through May 6"

This is an economic disaster.

Does anyone have any reliable info on what's going on in the country of Turkey? Some American friends of mine who live abroad are stranded there right now. They had to leave the country they live in due to their visas getting ready to expire and then they were informed no visas would be renewed/issued until after the Corona Virus pandemic passes. Now they can't return to the country they have lived in for several years and can't get to the US either. There is either some issue getting a flight or difficulty getting paperwork to return to the US-- I'm not sure what is going on. They couldn't elaborate. Their communications are probably monitored. I tried Googling but didn't come up with anything to explain why my friends are stuck there. I hope they are not about to be imprisoned. :( Anyone have some good news on Turkey?

ETA: It might be because flights to UK are canceled? Turkey bans flights from the UK due to the coronavirus outbreak

Not an expert on Turkey but we listened to some news program yesterday about how bad it is there - Syria is still imploding, Turkey is dealing with horrifying problems (surges of refugees, hungry, with multiple health problems, they have their own issues, they are not dealing well). I hope you can imagine how a nation like Turkey deals with such issues, when we can barely cope with our situation. Turkey needs to get control over its virus issues (and refugee issues) and figuring out non-citizens' travel issues is not high on the list of priorities. I'm very sorry that your friends are in this. My only advice is that they should get themselves to the US Embassy (if it hasn't already shut down- for a break, of course).

No US airline is flying to Turkey either (as of tonight? not sure when it starts).

Just a daily upvote for these guys at Johns Hopkins with their newest stats:

Operations Dashboard for ArcGIS

Also; did I give you-all my Pillsbury tip? Keep in mind that in an emergency, the rolls-of-rolls (cinnamon; crescent; Grands) are small; and can be turned in either direction in the refrigerator.

Tomorrow I'm going out to see if I can scare up some backup in the form of hotdogs and jerky. (Thankfully, I have other proteins as those certainly aren't my first choices to maintain rampaging health; but my folks are scaring me, lol.)

ETA: Tortillas sit nice and flat in the refrigerator, also; and can be spread with a variety of items in crepe form, sweet as well as savory. I have a package of Ezekiel tortillas I never opened for months, and just did so for evaluation. They tasted great.

Just a daily upvote for these guys at Johns Hopkins with their newest stats:

Operations Dashboard for ArcGIS

Also; did I give you-all my Pillsbury tip? Keep in mind that in an emergency, the rolls-of-rolls (cinnamon; crescent; Grands) are small; and can be turned in either direction in the refrigerator.

Tomorrow I'm going out to see if I can scare up some backup in the form of hotdogs and jerky. (Thankfully, I have other proteins as those certainly aren't my first choices to maintain rampaging health; but my folks are scaring me, lol.)

ETA: Tortillas sit nice and flat in the refrigerator, also; and can be spread with a variety of items in crepe form, sweet as well as savory. I have a package of Ezekiel tortillas I never opened for months, and just did so for evaluation. They tasted great.

[bbm]

what do you mean, can be turned in either direction?

I don't think I even want to know, but what do the military/officials know that we don't?
Those that dont survive will never know. If I get this this I want someone to come clean with before I die! The Fusco family were exposed MARCH 10TH & 4 membersnare gone 9 days later!
Moo
The family is going to be on Cuomo CNN next it's 11:11pm EST time now.

MINNESOTA

JUST IN: Gov Walz today signed Executive Order 20-09, ordering health care providers to postpone elective surgeries and procedures, including non-emergent elective dental procedures, to focus health care capacity and equipment on responding to COVID-19 cases & other emergencies.
jburcum on Twitter

TORONTO -- As COVID-19 spreads through Canada and infects hundreds of people, the widow of a 51-year-old Ontario man who died of the disease is urging Canadians to listen to health officials to prevent the spread of the virus and whenever possible stay at home.

“I think that people aren’t taking this seriously enough,” Teri Cunnington told CTV News from her home in Milton, Ont. “

'Stay home,' urges widow of 51-year-old Ontario man who died of COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member