Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #31

Status
Not open for further replies.
JMO
Remember the term "Trickle Down Economics" that has been thrown around periodically throughout the different times.

Im not sure if that is the right term for this, but I think we are seeing a form of that play out big time right in front of our eyes how certain decisions and certain things have a huge ripple effect on the economy and it ends up affecting many other businesses and many other people.

One of the things I have thought about is how the closures and self isolations keep more people at home and they end up needing more basic home supplies like regular old home foods and home supplies like TP. So besides the people stocking up out of concern, I feel there is a real larger demand now for these supplies which is now causing even more shortages.

All these sorts of ripple effects show us first hand how so many things are tied together and integrated within an economy.

If it enters through the nose, why are people being lied to with claims that masks don't help? You can wash your hands all day long, but if it largely enters through the nose because of respiratory droplets, all the hand washing isn't going to help you if you are standing next to someone who is infected.
If there is shortage of mask, they should have at least told people to make homemade cotton masks from the beginning.

One news cast interviewed a doctor who said that at their hospital, they are sewing "surgical material" onto the masks that they have.

Apparently, "surgical material" and certain other materials can help prevent the virus from coming into contact with our nose and mouth.

There must be various types of material the average person can use. This is something I want to look into further.

One news cast interviewed a doctor who said that at their hospital, they are sewing "surgical material" onto the masks that they have.

Apparently, "surgical material" and certain other materials can help prevent the virus from coming into contact with our nose and mouth.

There must be various types of material the average person can use. This is something I want to look into further.
They already did a study and cotton materials are best because they are breathable and do stop at least some particles. So people could be making their own homemade washable cotton masks (from cotton t-shirts). Cotton dish towels were best in stopping particles but they are hard to breath through.

Understand your frustration, but you cannot lead ignorance.

I totally agree and one new thing (for me) that I am beginning to get very concerned about is how some people out in the public may not be able to handle what is happening may go off the deep end.

We can trust that most are mature adults handling things as best they can but there is always a small minority of people that may not handle things very well. I am beginning to get very concerned for our own safety when out in public because I dont trust "the other guy" anymore as we all dive for that last package of TP on the shelf.

We also have to seriously consider our own personal and home security measures as there is no telling what some people may resort to if they run out of their own food or supplies and decide its easier to steal from others.

I hope my fears are not warranted but with the LE news about not arresting petty criminals in some places, it really got me wondering more about this sort of thing lately.

Good link as to a hot map. I believe what this map actually is ... it's the flu surveillance system of health departments where they are sent in samples from docs thinking it's the flu, but it's not. And therefore "atypical".

So could one surmise that there are MANY cases that haven't been tested for COVID? That's my leaning.

View attachment 239390
It's actually a bit more "real world" than just thinking its the flu. It's based on real-time human temps taken by a "smart" thermometer .

Overview
The U.S. Health Weather Map is a visualization of seasonal illness linked to fever - specifically influenza-like illness. The aggregate, anonymized data visualized here is a product of Kinsa’s network of Smart Thermometers and the accompanying mobile applications. Kinsa is providing this map and associated charts as a public service.

The map shows two key data points: (1) the illness levels we’re currently observing, and (2) the degree to which those levels are higher than the typical levels we expect to see at this point in the flu season. (Details on how we calculate this are available in our technical approach document.) We believe this latter data point — which we’re calling “atypical illness”, may in some cases be connected to the COVID-19 pandemic.
US Health Weather Map by Kinsa

This is funny (or not)
A friend just a mile from me has a litter of 7 border collie pups. He texted me to come see them, they are 7weeks now. I went to see them, my friend was on his tractor way out in the field so I texted him to announce my arrival. He promptly called to tell me the house was open and the pups were in their welping box in the mud room. NOT. They were in the adjacent bathroom having a large time, with what else....the toilet paper! It was absolutely hilarious. Unfortunately I left my phone in the car so I didn’t get pics.

Last edited:
Chloroquine is not a miracle drug.

It is an old old drug that is losing efficacy in much of the world, in combating specific types of malaria.

And it is a nasty drug to take, with very unpleasant side effects that make it poorly tolerated as an anti-malarial drug for long term use

I'm glad Dr. Faucci keeps stepping in to correct the non-medical enthusiasm about it's use.

Here are a list of it's side effects:

• attempts at killing oneself
  • back, leg, or stomach pains
  • black, tarry stools
  • bleeding gums
  • blistering, peeling, or loosening of the skin
  • blood in the urine or stools
  • blurred or decreased vision
  • change in near or distance vision
  • chest discomfort or pain
  • chills
  • cold sweats
  • confusion
  • continuing ringing or buzzing or other unexplained noise in the ears
  • cough
  • dark urine
  • difficulty in focusing the eyes
  • difficulty with speaking
  • difficulty with swallowing
  • disturbed color perception
  • dizziness, faintness, or lightheadedness when getting up suddenly from a lying or sitting position
  • double vision
  • fast, slow, irregular, or pounding heartbeat
  • feeling that others are watching you or controlling your behavior
  • feeling that others can hear your thoughts
  • feeling, seeing, or hearing things that are not there
  • fever
  • general tiredness and weakness
  • halos around lights
  • inability to move the eyes
  • increased blinking or spasms of the eyelid
  • joint or muscle pain
  • large, hive-like swelling on the face, eyelids, lips, tongue, throat, hands, legs, feet, or sex organs
  • light-colored stools
  • lower back or side pain
  • muscle trembling, jerking, or stiffness
  • muscular pain, tenderness, wasting, or weakness
  • night blindness
  • overbright appearance of lights
  • painful or difficult urination
  • pale skin
  • pinpoint red spots on the skin
  • puffiness or swelling of the eyelids or around the eyes, face, lips, or tongue
  • red skin lesions, often with a purple center
  • red, irritated eyes
  • restlessness
  • shuffling walk
  • sores, ulcers, or white spots on the lips or in the mouth
  • sticking out of the tongue
  • stiffness of the limbs
  • sweating
  • swollen or painful glands
  • tightness in the chest
  • trouble breathing
  • tunnel vision
  • twitching, twisting, or uncontrolled repetitive movements of the tongue, lips, face, arms, or legs
  • uncontrolled movements, especially of the face, neck, and back
  • unusual bleeding or bruising
  • unusual tiredness or weakness
  • upper right abdominal or stomach pain
  • yellow eyes and skin

SPAIN

Now having to prioritize patients for ICU based on life expectancy (Google translate):

This literally implies "not entering people in whom a minimal benefit is expected (such as situations of multi-organ failure, risk of death calculated by scales of high severity or conditions of advanced frailty ...)" and, furthermore, " carefully assess the benefit of admission of patients with a life expectancy of less than two years », and for this they propose using tools such as the one known in the Necpal medical field. In the face of two similar patients, “the person with the most quality-adjusted life years should be prioritized,” according to indicators (QALY or QALY) that, according to the document's drafters, combine quantity and quality of life. In short, when faced with two patients with a similar condition, priority must be given to those who offer the highest quality of life expectancy.

Los médicos elegirán a quién ingresar en la UCI según su esperanza de vida

Good link as to a hot map. I believe what this map actually is ... it's the flu surveillance system of health departments where they are sent in samples from docs thinking it's the flu, but it's not. And therefore "atypical".

So could one surmise that there are MANY cases that haven't been tested for COVID? That's my leaning.

View attachment 239390

Actually this map is not connected to health depts. at all. It is a private thermometer company who makes the thermometers with an app, and the company, Kinsa, is tracking the data, often running 2 wks ahead of the CDC tracking for seasonal influenza. The map of atypical illness is what they are seeing outside (atypical) of the normal seasonal flu.

This is another good article on masks. N95 works best, but surgical masks also help catching particles. So I think there is no doubt when we were advice to not wear masks, it was a really really bad advice.
"Conclusion: Masks – including surgical mask and N95 mask – can capture tiny particles over 10 times smaller than the coronavirus."
Can Masks Protect People from The Coronavirus? - Smart Air Filters

Exactly, when someone sneezes or coughs at us, it matters none of our hands are clean. I guess some people still insert finger into nose.......
Staying out of public places is the safest alternative we have, imo.

If it enters through the nose, why are people being lied to with claims that masks don't help? You can wash your hands all day long, but if it largely enters through the nose because of respiratory droplets, all the hand washing isn't going to help you if you are standing next to someone who is infected.
If there is shortage of masks (which there clearly is), they should have at least told people to make homemade cotton masks from the beginning. Washable cotton masks are better than nothing.

If there is shortage of masks (which there clearly is), they should have at least told people to make homemade cotton masks from the beginning. Washable cotton masks are better than nothing.

Because a mask will help breed the virus. If you are not sick and you are using a mask, you need to change it frequently throughout the day (sterilizing hands, face and nearby surfaces first). If you have a virus but it has not reproduced to the point where you are sick, you are trapping the virus with the mask in a moist, warm environment where it may reproduce more quickly.

Some part of infection is due to the sheer amount of virus you inhale or have come in through your eyes. Medical professionals are supposed to be changing their masks after every patient. But medical professionals are still at higher risk of getting the virus because they go into rooms where someone is actively and virulently shedding. Right now, they don't have enough masks to do this and are see several patients with the same mask (and it can still enter through the eyes).

At any rate, the CDC advises for those reasons not to wear a mask unless you are already sick and are shedding - and it's to protect others. Nurses have to do this because many of them are getting the viruses and going to work while they are still asymptomatic. It's still not a perfect barrier to the problem and many MP's are getting sick (and dying).

They already did a study and cotton materials are best because they are breathable and do stop at least some particles. So people could be making their own homemade washable cotton masks (from cotton t-shirts). Cotton dish towels were best in stopping particles but they are hard to breath through.
Yes on kitchen towels and double layered. Apparently vacuum bags work the best. Who has vacuum bags?? Most vacs are bagless. It would be kinda hard to wear a vacuum bag.

I totally agree and one new thing (for me) that I am beginning to get very concerned about is how some people out in the public may not be able to handle what is happening may go off the deep end.

We can trust that most are mature adults handling things as best they can but there is always a small minority of people that may not handle things very well. I am beginning to get very concerned for our own safety when out in public because I dont trust "the other guy" anymore as we all dive for that last package of TP on the shelf.

We also have to seriously consider our own personal and home security measures as there is no telling what some people may resort to if they run out of their own food or supplies and decide its easier to steal from others.

I hope my fears are not warranted but with the LE news about not arresting petty criminals in some places, it really got me wondering more about this sort of thing lately.

Absolutely. This is another reason why LE is at extra risk, moo. The “towering inferno guy” I’ve warned so much about.

Yeah I’ve been expecting some social disruption for a long time.

Like I said I am looking forward to martial law and the military coming in and locking everything the heck down, hence all the military articles I’ve been focusing on and posting.

LE is going to need a lot of help, moo. Especially with many of their own continuing to get infected.

As I’ve said earlier I think all street cops, first responders, etc. need do be wearing full PPE. Moo.

Last edited:
Covid 19 sounds better than these side effects.
Chloroquine is not a miracle drug.

It is an old old drug that is losing efficacy in much of the world, in combating specific types of malaria.

And it is a nasty drug to take, with very unpleasant side effects that make it poorly tolerated as an anti-malarial drug for long term use

I'm glad Dr. Faucci keeps stepping in to correct the non-medical enthusiasm about it's use.

Here are a list of it's side effects:

• attempts at killing oneself
  • back, leg, or stomach pains
  • black, tarry stools
  • bleeding gums
  • blistering, peeling, or loosening of the skin
  • blood in the urine or stools
  • blurred or decreased vision
  • change in near or distance vision
  • chest discomfort or pain
  • chills
  • cold sweats
  • confusion
  • continuing ringing or buzzing or other unexplained noise in the ears
  • cough
  • dark urine
  • difficulty in focusing the eyes
  • difficulty with speaking
  • difficulty with swallowing
  • disturbed color perception
  • dizziness, faintness, or lightheadedness when getting up suddenly from a lying or sitting position
  • double vision
  • fast, slow, irregular, or pounding heartbeat
  • feeling that others are watching you or controlling your behavior
  • feeling that others can hear your thoughts
  • feeling, seeing, or hearing things that are not there
  • fever
  • general tiredness and weakness
  • halos around lights
  • inability to move the eyes
  • increased blinking or spasms of the eyelid
  • joint or muscle pain
  • large, hive-like swelling on the face, eyelids, lips, tongue, throat, hands, legs, feet, or sex organs
  • light-colored stools
  • lower back or side pain
  • muscle trembling, jerking, or stiffness
  • muscular pain, tenderness, wasting, or weakness
  • night blindness
  • overbright appearance of lights
  • painful or difficult urination
  • pale skin
  • pinpoint red spots on the skin
  • puffiness or swelling of the eyelids or around the eyes, face, lips, or tongue
  • red skin lesions, often with a purple center
  • red, irritated eyes
  • restlessness
  • shuffling walk
  • sores, ulcers, or white spots on the lips or in the mouth
  • sticking out of the tongue
  • stiffness of the limbs
  • sweating
  • swollen or painful glands
  • tightness in the chest
  • trouble breathing
  • tunnel vision
  • twitching, twisting, or uncontrolled repetitive movements of the tongue, lips, face, arms, or legs
  • uncontrolled movements, especially of the face, neck, and back
  • unusual bleeding or bruising
  • unusual tiredness or weakness
  • upper right abdominal or stomach pain
  • yellow eyes and skin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors